Trade Deadline News

mafra

Legend
I can only imagine how hard LAC laughed at us when Perry kept asking for A,B,C...

They go, No, No, and No!

So Perry comes back, and asks for right to swap first rounders in 2021. They must bust a spleen laughing their collectives arses off (like we will have a better record next season).

I think we got crap back. This is a terrible draft. We would?ve been better served just asking for their 2021 first or 2022....

After shooting for Kuzma and Shamet, then not even getting those other 2 young guys we heard about... well, let?s just say... again.... MEM got more for taking AI?s contract then we got here.

A late first in a weak draft and a 2023 second rounder doesn?t exactly get me jumping for joy.

I can only imagine how hard LAC laughed at us when Perry kept asking for A,B,C...

They go, No, No, and No!

So Perry comes back, and asks for right to swap first rounders in 2021. They must bust a spleen laughing their collectives arses off (like we will have a better record next season).

I think we got crap back. This is a terrible draft. We would?ve been better served just asking for their 2021 first or 2022....

After shooting for Kuzma and Shamet, then not even getting those other 2 young guys we heard about... well, let?s just say... again.... MEM got more for taking AI?s contract then we got here.

A late first in a weak draft and a 2023 second rounder doesn?t exactly get me jumping for joy.

I get what you?re saying, but we gave them a guy under contract for 3 months and you can only get so much when for some reason you never want to take back salary.

mafra

Legend
I get what you?re saying, but we gave them a guy under contract for 3 months and you can only get so much when for some reason you never want to take back salary.

For sure. We have draft capital to trade for a LM (Chi) or something. Just saying, LAC wanted MM and so did their rival. And we walk away with this crap? Telling world you want to re-sign MM sure didn?t help.... but a quality GM walks away with Shamet or Kuzma.

I bet that idiot Perry was adamant he wanted a first rounder and took draft picks over a proven young player.

I doubt we get much of anything with the 29th pick, with our history of drafting. Hopefully we include that pick in a deal for a young player.

But when 2 teams in same city are battling for a title and want help and both have targeted the same guy.... how do we walk away with this package?

We enter today with hopes of getting assets in trades... we make 1 trade and get the absolute bare min (bc we can?t negotiate in any trade we make where we make out well).... and hopes of a proven exec like Presti or Masai.

Now we have the last pick of first round and an agent running things, when agents are failing all over sports trying to run teams. Dark times ahead folks.

mafra

Legend
Don?t get me wrong... it?s a deal you had to make....

?Ideally, the Knicks would have turned Morris into a young player with more overall value, but such a player does not seem to have been on the market. The Lakers reportedly took Kyle Kuzma off of the table in negotiations, and the Clippers refused to give up Landry Shamet. Considering how little they gave up as far as their own future is concerned, the Knicks did well to at least get an asset in return.?

But, again, the point is:

Don?t waste cap space just to sign vet guys!!!!

MEM got Winslow and a first bc they absorbed AI. They got a higher pick and a much better young player than what we got....

MM might be difference for either LAC or LAK and Perry couldn?t work that leverage to get Shamet or Kuzma.

Instead, we get the 27th pick in a weak class. It?s something, but in the long run.... it probably ends up as nothing. We can?t even find players with lottery picks.

We probably be smart packing picks now and finding young, proven players to pry away... if possible.

Again, I like flipping MM into picks... but we got so little, maybe trying to play .500 ball next 2 months better in the long run than hoping 2 lottery tickets strike it rich.

Hey, but at least we can swap picks with LaC next year. You never know what happens.

mafra

Legend
Bingo!

The Los Angeles Lakers reportedly declined to meet the asking price the New York Knicks set for Marcus Morris prior to the NBA trade deadline.

ESPN's Ramona Shelburne reported the Knicks were looking to acquire Kyle Kuzma, Danny Green and future second-round picks.

I bet if we asked for KK and contract filler for MM he?s in NY. But Perry wanted too much... they walk away and we end up with a kid in Slovenia and nothing that will be on our roster.

Perry got cute and acted like he was dealing an all star.. it was a rental role player. We could?ve had Kuzma and that trumps what we ended up receiving.

mafra

Legend
Again, not mad at what we got... it?s what we failed to acquire that irks me.

Twitter ? ramonashelburne
Ramona Shelburne
Following up on Lakers-NYK talks. It wasn?t just Kyle Kuzma LA didn?t want to include in a deal for Marcus Morris. The Knicks also wanted Danny Green (to make the $ work) and future second round picks, per sources. Lakers decided that was too steep and walked away late.
Twitter ? 2 hours ago

Perry overplayed his hands, LAK walked away... he settles to send him to LAV (out of spite)

We have 7 1st round picks in the next 4 drafts. Yeah, the extra picks are going to be late 1st round picks, but that?s still something.

Kiyaman

Legend
I would not have traded Marcus Morris !!!

The Lakers & Clippers had nothing to trade for Morris Value .... The Knicks clueless FO did not know the value of Morris performance !!!
The Clippers now have FOUR elite first optional scorers (Kahwi/Lou/PG3/Morris) in their rotation that are 10 times better than the Knicks number #1 first optional scorer (Clumsy Randle-Handle).

If I was the Knicks Interim head-coach Miller .. I would QUIT !!!!!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We have 7 1st round picks in the next 4 drafts. Yeah, the extra picks are going to be late 1st round picks, but that’s still something.

Can't discount the value of late-round picks. The Nets were able to rebuild their franchise primary due to the value they found in their 2nd-round and late first-round picks. It seemed at the time that their franchise was doomed because Billy King gave up so many first-rounders to get KG/Pierce, but they've been able to bounce back because they've found guys like LeVert late in the first round and Dinwiddie/Kurucs in the second round.

We just need some good juju going our way for these drafts

mafra

Legend
Wojo has n Mkay said NYK did well, got a first, but he just felt there was more to be had on the market... he was surprised NYC couldn?t get more out of LaC.

Like I posted earlier.... the market was set with a KK for MM swap... somehow Perry walked away with less.

Kiyaman

Legend
Can't discount the value of late-round picks. The Nets were able to rebuild their franchise primary due to the value they found in their 2nd-round and late first-round picks. It seemed at the time that their franchise was doomed because Billy King gave up so many first-rounders to get KG/Pierce, but they've been able to bounce back because they've found guys like LeVert late in the first round and Dinwiddie/Kurucs in the second round.

We just need some good juju going our way for these drafts

The Knicks need to start hiring a couple more coaches to put into Interim coach Miller coaching-staff to help develop players, before the end of the season. The Knicks Coaching-Program has been POOR since the Isiah era throughout the Melo era and in the Mills/Perry/Fiz era.

The Nets (Kenny Atkinson) creative-plan for the Nets coaching-staff has been pulling the best performance out of 75% of their players the past few seasons.

tiger0330

Legend
Here's a writeup on that Euro whose rights we got in the MM trade. Probably going to be an asset that we stash away and never makes it over to the NBA.

I’ll also take a second to discuss Issuf Sanon here. Sanon was the No. 44 overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft after a good showing at the NBA Global Camp pre-draft. I ranked him at No. 56 on my board, but only because NBA executives told me it was likely he would be picked. To be honest, I’ve never really been much of a fan. The idea here is that Sanon was a creative ballhandler and active defender at 6-foot-4, and could become a secondary ballhandler. However, last year he had a poor post-draft year with Union Olimpija in Slovenia while playing in the Adriatic League, posting a 27 percent turnover rate and a 45.9 true-shooting percentage. He dropped down to the Ukranian League this year — a lower quality of competition — and has been better. However, he’s still posting a negative assist rate versus turnover rate and is only hitting 32 percent from 3. I’d be pretty surprised if he makes it over to the NBA.

mafra

Legend
He?s a Euro.... I doubt he ever makes it over here. This is like the right to swap 2021 picks with LAC.... just to appease Perry?s ego.

With us being 6 games back.... if we go on a run and come close to 8th seed.... Knicks schedule much easier now (than Jan)... we could go on a 10-7 run...

Is trading away our best player right move to get 27th pick in this weak draft class and an early second rounder in 2023? Is that draft capital worth eschewing a playoff run?

Time will tell.

Tough call. We won 3 in a row... could win 19 more and be on a 22 game winning steak and still Be under .500.

Still, you saw with Nets last year.... be .500 and be in playoff mix final 2 weeks does a lot to change image of your org.

Kiyaman

Legend
Here's a writeup on that Euro whose rights we got in the MM trade. Probably going to be an asset that we stash away and never makes it over to the NBA.

I’ll also take a second to discuss Issuf Sanon here. Sanon was the No. 44 overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft after a good showing at the NBA Global Camp pre-draft. I ranked him at No. 56 on my board, but only because NBA executives told me it was likely he would be picked. To be honest, I’ve never really been much of a fan. The idea here is that Sanon was a creative ballhandler and active defender at 6-foot-4, and could become a secondary ballhandler. However, last year he had a poor post-draft year with Union Olimpija in Slovenia while playing in the Adriatic League, posting a 27 percent turnover rate and a 45.9 true-shooting percentage. He dropped down to the Ukranian League this year — a lower quality of competition — and has been better. However, he’s still posting a negative assist rate versus turnover rate and is only hitting 32 percent from 3. I’d be pretty surprised if he makes it over to the NBA.

Yesterday, the Knicks gave up a Gold piece (Marcus Morris Sr.) to receive a Silver piece (Harkless) and hope !!!

mafra

Legend
FWIW:

In Thursday?s deal with the Clippers, the Knicks didn?t want to take on rookies Terance Mann and Mfiondu Kabengel in exchange for Marcus Morris because they didn?t want to immediately waive players. That indicates the Knicks either wanted to keep the veterans for leadership or prefer to save money in a buyout scenario.

The key was netting the Clippers? 2020 first-rounder, which will be located in the high 20s. They also gained the Clippers? 2021 second-round pick (via the Pistons).

In what could be two moot points, the Knicks also get the right to swap first-round picks with the Clippers in 2021 and the rights to Issuf Sanon, Washington?s second-round stash pick in 2018 who plays in Ukraine and is not expected to ever play in the NBA.

Sanon was added because the Wizards needed a contribution to the Knicks.

The Knicks now have seven first-round picks across the next four years. That collection of assets puts them in position to make a future trade for a disgruntled superstar.

The Knicks also turned down one proposed offer that included 2019 first-round pick Mfiondu Kabengele and second-round pick Terance Mann because the Knicks didn?t want to have to cut players on their roster to make room. Kabengele, a 3-point shooting big man, has appeared in just 10 games.

Harkless was added to the deal to make the cap work. The former St. John?s star from Queens is expected to be in Detroit when the Knicks play Saturday. Sources indicated if Harkless, who is in his eighth season, wanted to go to a contender, the Knicks would accomodate him.

As far as the tumultuous season that has seen Mills and David Fizdale fired and the team?s best player traded for picks, Ntilikina said, ?It?s been a lot, a lot going on, a lot of adversity. But adversity helps you grow up and builds character.?

paris401

Starter
Ntilikina said, “It’s been a lot, a lot going on, a lot of adversity. But adversity helps you grow up and builds character.”

the only way frenchie is growing up and building character is to get on a plane and go back to france - u can play with fredric weis....