home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Miami HeatNew York Knicks
KZ Okpala - G League Assignment (OUT)Marcus Morris - Sore neck (OUT)
Gabe Vincent - G League Two-Way Contract (OUT)Frank Ntilikina - Sore groin (OUT)
Justise Winslow - Lower Back Bone Bruise (OUT)Dennis Smith Jr - Left oblique strain (OUT)
-Reggie Bullock - Contused left thigh (OUT)
-Mitchell Robinson - Sprained left great toe (PROB)
--

Game Preview

For a brief time in December, it looked like the New York Knicks might be able to do their part to make a renewal of the franchise's playoff rivalry with the Miami Heat a reality.

But another extended skid for the Knicks has all but ensured another campaign in which the Heat only visit New York in the regular season.

The reeling Knicks will host the Heat for the first time this season on Sunday afternoon, when the old Eastern Conference rivals face off at Madison Square Garden.

Both teams were off Saturday after losing in New York on Friday. The Knicks dropped a 123-111 decision to the New Orleans Pelicans, and the Heat were edged by the Brooklyn Nets, 117-113.

The loss was the fifth straight for the Knicks and continued undoing the good will and progress they'd built by winning six of 10 games from Dec. 11-Jan. 1. That was enough to get long-suffering fans to begin daydreaming of a run at one of the final playoff berths in the Eastern Conference.

The Knicks haven't made the playoffs since 2013. They haven't moved beyond the second round since 2000, which was the fourth straight year in which New York and Miami bitterly battled each other in the playoffs.

But reality has returned for the Knicks, who lost their last three games by a combined 66 points.

New York, which went 0-4 on a Western Conference road trip prior to returning home Friday, has played its last two games without its leading scorers, Marcus Morris Sr. (neck) and Julius Randle (personal).

"Get guys back healthy, get back in the swing of things," Knicks forward Taj Gibson said Friday night. "The road trip was tough. I've been telling guys these last couple of days to regroup. These games are going to happen through some parts of the season. Just got to weather the storm, especially with the number of guys we've got down."

Despite the loss to the Nets, the Heat are positioned to make what used to be a familiar trip to the playoffs.

Miami, which has missed the postseason three times in five years since ending a streak of four straight NBA Finals appearances, enters Sunday second in the East behind the Milwaukee Bucks.

The Heat haven't lost back-to-back games all season and are likely to be doubly focused after a second-half collapse Friday. Miami fell to 10-10 on the road after squandering a 12-point halftime lead against the Nets.

"We got what we deserved," Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra said after the game. "You just have to credit Brooklyn. We're still searching for maturity on the road as a basketball team and we didn't take a step forward in that department tonight. We're much better than that."

--Field Level Media

rady

Administrator
Staff member
we might not start with 3 PFs but with so many injuries i just improvised :)

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .... Miami Heats performance has been one of the Top-3 winning teams in the East. Its hard to believe the Heats loss to the Nets on Friday after the Heats scored 69 pts in the first half of the game holding a 12 pt lead at halftime.
The Knicks wont be that lucky this afternoon having players out ..
Marcus Morris Sr (sore neck)
Frank Ntilikina (sore groin)
Dennis Smith Jr. (strained left oblique)
That Sucks ..
No Frank, No Thanks !!!

The Knicks STARTERS : Payton, Barrett, Bullock, Randle and Gibson .. How well will the starting trio-guards do vs Miami ???

mafra

Legend
All RJ early... perfect 4-4 from field (1-1 from downtown and FT line)... 10 points.... in 1st Q.

Broadway

All Star
All RJ early... perfect 3-3 from field (1-1 from downtown and FT line)... 8 points.... NYK up 20-15 with 5 to go in 1st Q.

Still RJs fault the team is having the yr they are. No matter how well he plays he shouldn?t be starting 15min/gm max. He?s low IQ rookie never passes his only concern is trying to go 14-14tg from the field every game

Am I doing it right?

mafra

Legend
Knicks suck b/c teenage rookie? We?ve sucked for 20 years.

Losing had more to do with Randle and DSJ not being what front office hoped they would be on offense early on.

RJ shouldn?t be starting on a normal team. But, when you are a pathetic team like Knicks... you should prioritize developing kids over starting/playing vets in vein hope to win 29 games over 20.

Now, the mixed messages of Hornachek, Fiz and Miller is confusing.

The fact is RJ should be starting SF, not SG (or PG). Reason why Knox, Frank, RJ taking so long... aside from age... is we play them out of position and ask them to do things they don?t do well.

RJ hasn?t been special or even average in either side of the ball... but what are the options? Bullock and Dotson equally unimpressive, right?

Kiyaman

Legend
Dotson Dotson Dotson should be our Starter SG !!!
Bullock would be great coming off the bench as backup SG/SF

mafra

Legend
Dotson like your typical back-up QB... Everybody clamors for them until they get their wish granted.

DD is 25 and shooting 30% from downtown. He?s not particularly athletic. He does a bunch of things well, so he has value as a rotation player / reserve. If he?s your starting SG you are a 50 loss team.

Broadway

All Star
He doesn?t turn 21 until Aug...

Could care less about his age. For this team with our players we gotta stop falling back on this as a crutch to borrow time

Unless we?re moving Morris or making significant roster changes to afford Knox the opportunity for high usage then as a role player he?s Gawd Awful as one

As we can see Miami has good youth too, if not for Morant probable ROY

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Could care less about his age. For this team with our players we gotta stop falling back on this as a crutch to borrow time

Unless we?re moving Morris or making significant roster changes to afford Knox the opportunity for high usage then as a role player he?s Gawd Awful as one

As we can see Miami has good youth too, if not for Morant provable ROY

Not defending Knox, nor is there much I?ve seen to inspire confidence. But most prospects not named LJ or Kobe would struggle in this environment as teenagers.

Playing for that crazy Fiz system? Here, under Mills and Dolan.

I think saw enough flashes last year to hope for a Rashard Lewis type player....

I want to see Knox for a complete season playing PF. That will tell me if we have anything...

Kiyaman

Legend
Dotson like your typical back-up QB... Everybody clamors for them until they get their wish granted.

DD is 25 and shooting 30% from downtown. He’s not particularly athletic. He does a bunch of things well, so he has value as a rotation player / reserve. If he’s your starting SG you are a 50 loss team.

In the past 3 season under 3 differ head-coaches Dotson's lack of receiving NBA Playing-Time for teammates Lee, Hardaway, and now RJ /Bullock

Dotson 1-7 from the field. Poor kid never takes advantage of his limited opportunities.

Dotson's DEFENSE kept the score even !!!

mafra

Legend
For the life of me, I have no idea why a lineup of Frank, Dotson, RJ, Knox, MRob has seen so little time together on the court.

Start Randle, Morris, Bullock, DSJ, Payton if you like... just let the kids gel and gain four time together.

Broadway

All Star
Not defending Knox, nor is there much I?ve seen to inspire confidence. But most prospects not named LJ or Kobe would struggle in this environment as teenagers.

Playing for that crazy Fiz system? Here, under Mills and Dolan.

I think saw enough flashes last year to hope for a Rashard Lewis type player....

I want to see Knox for a complete season playing PF. That will tell me if we have anything...

Okay bye Morris and no resigning him in the offseason. This is the problem I see with our fans and likely ownership...WE TRY TO HAVE IT ALL when we?ve Earned/Worked(in the proper manner) for nothing

I hope the reason STANK was held out today cuhz of impending Det trade. This is why we get snake bitten on paths we should go. We half-ass everything

I bet Brez can give us what Knox has given us and I have no idea what his age is, it?s irrelevant IMO. I want us to play who will get the job done not WHO WE WANT to get the job done

mafra

Legend
Okay bye Morris and no resigning him in the offseason. This is the problem I see with our fans and likely ownership...WE TRY TO HAVE IT ALL when we?ve Earned/Worked(in the proper manner) for nothing

I hope the reason STANK was held out today cuhz of impending Det trade. This is why we get snake bitten on paths we should go. We half-ass everything

I bet Brez can give us what Knox has given us and I have no idea what his age is, it?s irrelevant IMO. I want us to play who will get the job done not WHO WE WANT to get the job done

Morris could start at PF with Knox as backup. But, in our system, MM is the SF... Randle the PF. Simply trade Randle and that opens up starting PF.

Knicks don?t have anybody to get job done. We need to scout, draft, develop. Can?t take a guy in lottery 1 year then bench him the next.

Broadway

All Star
Morris could start at PF with Knox as backup. But, in our system, MM is the SF... Randle the PF. Simply trade Randle and that opens up starting PF.

Knicks don?t have anybody to get job done. We need to scout, draft, develop. Can?t take a guy in lottery 1 year then bench him the next.

Knox is not good as a bench player and why would you bench the lottery pick behind the veteran...you just said we shouldn?t do this

You?re trying to have it all. If anything Knox should start and Morris should play backup

Boston did not bring him back although Stevens raved about him. He was likely the better player at the time but by not doing so it allowed for the continued growth of Tatum and Brown

In theory Knox should start 25-30gms at around 30min/gm and if he can?t consistently give 13-15pts 6-7reb average to above average efficiency and respectable defense you gotta move him

My thing is I think I?ve seen enough to suggest he won?t be able to do this

Last edited: