Game thread: New York Knicks @ Milwaukee Bucks 8:00 1/14/2020 [Game #41]

mafra

Legend
Ian Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

After practice on Wednesday, RJ Barrett was shooting free throws while Knicks assistant coach Keith Bogans rebounded for him. He celebrated after he made his last attempt on Wednesday, as the Knicks front office looked on.

"Before I leave every practice I've got to make 10 or 15 in a row before I get off the court," Barrett said.

The extra shooting seems to be paying off.

After starting the season shooting around 50 percent from the free-throw line, Barrett has made 77 percent of his free throws over the last 12 games. He's also hit 39 percent of his 3-point attempts in that stretch.

"I said I'm going to keep working on it; it's a matter of time," Barrett said Wednesday when asked about his strong shooting of late. "I feel like everybody coming into the league, all the stars, you see where they were at when they first came in and see where they're at now, it's just the work you put in, it shows."

Barrett's shot was one of the bigger concerns scouts had about him coming out of college. So his shooting of late is an encouraging sign for the Knicks. It's one of the few positives New York will carry into Thursday's game against Phoenix.

The Knicks are just 11-30 through the first half of the season, by far the worst record of any team Barrett's played on.

"I've been trying to learn a lot. Know the business. Trying to learn the game as much as I can," Barrett said on Wednesday when asked about the losing. "Hopefully this team keeps growing and I can be a piece to a winning team."

Gaines is a joke. He still says Ntilikina is going to be something despite his obvious flaws. If he was so good he would still have his job with the Knicks and not out of the league for all those years after the Bulls let him go.

If Gaines is a joke. Then who in Knicks organization is better?? I think you need to rethink that statement about Gaines because considering the sad state of affairs that we are currently in with the Knicks. Now unless you are on board with Mills/Perry/Robinson and all the moves they made for this team. If they are better then why are we worst team in the league? Please just tell me what you know. Who is more transformative as a player KP at #4 or RJ at #3? Maybe that comparison will open your eyes.

As usual there be no reply back to the questions. Why can't you guys just answer the tough questions. All you do is run away and hide. BTW, I didn't draft RJ(never would) so don't get mad with me for all of his flaws. You should've seen them and told me but you don't see any, DO YOU!!

WAKE UP CALL!!
We are 11-30 as a team. Every player and coach should be putting in extra time. I'm quite should there are more than just one favorite that is staying late. When you have been given so much(not earned) you should be putting in the time. Don't break your arm patting him on the back for something he should be doing. Make it seen like he doing something special. Well he isn't!!

BTW, it isn't the FT that the main problem. Notice there is nothing about DEFENSE!! WHY?? Because it about the number of points he score(especially in garbage time). Anything to make Mills/Perry look like geniuses for drafting him. Not one bit of info on his lapses in defense. Not one bit of stat about how he loses his man constantly is stated.

Look at the damn game and pay attention. There are two end of the court and they both count.

Agreed!! Merit mean you deserve something. 'Not Given' there a different. Ex. Given a starting position and not earn on MERIT. Where is the merit to judge?? "Is the men that judge still Shallow"? Cancel out your point you are making.

Try this on for size "Blind men never ever see the light".

Kiyaman

Legend
RJ needs to pass more and be more aware that he needs to get others involved. But, is it really the responsibility of a 19 yr-old rookie SG/SF guy to play that role?

I?ve watched him play about 70 games... And, I know he can pass. I?ve seen his vision and his passing acumen. He can pass... Has vision.... I believe this will come w/ experience.

His defense needs work, but the effort is there. We need to coach defense and instill defensive principles... hammer it in. But, if you are playing for a 5-18 team... and you?re a teenager.... I can see how the effort and will may be diminished.

But, yes, he needs to pass more and play better defense. If he is still this player at 22.... then we can start pointing fingers.

When I watch the performance of rookies Ja Morrant, Porter, Herro, or Nunn, i see consistent communication with teammates on the court, plus a outstanding Team-Ball performance that leads to teammates complimenting teammates for a co-existing lineup.
Yes, their 2-Way complimentary performance deserve NBA highlights during their rookie season !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Ian Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

After practice on Wednesday, RJ Barrett was shooting free throws while Knicks assistant coach Keith Bogans rebounded for him. He celebrated after he made his last attempt on Wednesday, as the Knicks front office looked on.

"Before I leave every practice I've got to make 10 or 15 in a row before I get off the court," Barrett said.

The extra shooting seems to be paying off.

After starting the season shooting around 50 percent from the free-throw line, Barrett has made 77 percent of his free throws over the last 12 games. He's also hit 39 percent of his 3-point attempts in that stretch.

"I said I'm going to keep working on it; it's a matter of time," Barrett said Wednesday when asked about his strong shooting of late. "I feel like everybody coming into the league, all the stars, you see where they were at when they first came in and see where they're at now, it's just the work you put in, it shows."

Barrett's shot was one of the bigger concerns scouts had about him coming out of college. So his shooting of late is an encouraging sign for the Knicks. It's one of the few positives New York will carry into Thursday's game against Phoenix.

The Knicks are just 11-30 through the first half of the season, by far the worst record of any team Barrett's played on.

"I've been trying to learn a lot. Know the business. Trying to learn the game as much as I can," Barrett said on Wednesday when asked about the losing. "Hopefully this team keeps growing and I can be a piece to a winning team."

Sounds to me like the Knicks still have Isolation-Practice session .. It would be nice to read bout the Knicks as a Team shooting 10 to 15 unmissed FT after practice before they leave. Especially when the Knicks ISO-performance on the court as a team looks like they never practice offensive or defensive plays in practice. The rookie RJ Barrett are not the only player on the team shooting poorly from the perimeter and the FT line .. All the Knicks crunch-time players Payton/RJ/Morris/and Randle-Handle shoot like shuuiiuut from the FT line.

tiger0330

Legend
I
If Gaines is a joke. Then who in Knicks organization is better?? I think you need to rethink that statement about Gaines because considering the sad state of affairs that we are currently in with the Knicks. Now unless you are on board with Mills/Perry/Robinson and all the moves they made for this team. If they are better then why are we worst team in the league? Please just tell me what you know. Who is more transformative as a player KP at #4 or RJ at #3? Maybe that comparison will open your eyes.

As usual there be no reply back to the questions. Why can't you guys just answer the tough questions. All you do is run away and hide. BTW, I didn't draft RJ(never would) so don't get mad with me for all of his flaws. You should've seen them and told me but you don't see any, DO YOU!!
You accuse others of not reading your posts but do exactly the same, when did I ever say this front office was competent when I've repeatedly called for Mills to be fired and the front office top heavy in desperate need of reorganization. Gaines was out of the league for over 10 years, if he was so good he would have been working somewhere. It took a nitwit like PJ to give him a title and a fat paycheck so he could come back and as much as the Knicks need a great talent evaluator don't you think they would have kept him if he was that guy. He's still on board with Nits saying the Knicks will rue the day they trade him despite a middling career so far says all I need to know about Gaines that he's stubborn, refuses to acknowledge mistakes or be receptive to a guy like RJ who he didn't like and acknowledge he might be a star.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I
You accuse others of not reading your posts but do exactly the same, when did I ever say this front office was competent when I've repeatedly called for Mills to be fired and the front office top heavy in desperate need of reorganization. Gaines was out of the league for over 10 years, if he was so good he would have been working somewhere. It took a nitwit like PJ to give him a title and a fat paycheck so he could come back and as much as the Knicks need a great talent evaluator don't you think they would have kept him if he was that guy. He's still on board with Nits saying the Knicks will rue the day they trade him despite a middling career so far says all I need to know about Gaines that he's stubborn, refuses to acknowledge mistakes or be receptive to a guy like RJ who he didn't like and acknowledge he might be a star.

I don?t read ?Dumbraider? posts because they are too long and full of nonsense. Mods we need to bring back the end of the year awards so we can give DumbRaider the ?Overpost? awardšŸ˜‚. Long rambling foolishness GTFO

I feel like a kindergarten teacher saying this, but maybe ease up on the name calling. There are very few active posters on here, new people need to feel welcome when they do decide to be active on here.

I feel like a kindergarten teacher saying this, but maybe ease up on the name calling. There are very few active posters on here, new people need to feel welcome when they do decide to be active on here.

So true htr.... You should be commended for saying what we as adult should know. In some cases name calling is done because they have nothing subjective to add to the conversation. They want to be seen.

I

I said "unless you are on board with Mills/Perry/Robinson and all the moves they made for this team". It didn't say you thought this front office was competent.
That nitwit PJ did gave Gaines a job because of his flaws are a player evaluator. This is an acknowledgement of a weakness Phil had and he hire a person to correct it. THAT SMART not a NITWIT. That nitwit has won more championship an anyone else so until some come along with a better resume' I'm on board. Plus that nitwit is a Knick. Beside when did the future look bright than with Phil and Gaines? Shall I list the players!! Gaines earn every penny of that Fat Paycheck. Maybe you forgot about the notion of drafting 'Super Mario' instead of KP. The scouting and evaluation kept us from making that mistake. His evaluation of 'Super Mario' then stand true today. You saw him last year. Perry made that mistake of drafting Super Mario.

As for keeping Gaines I was hoping that Mills/Perry would do so. It became apparent that they thought Robinson was a better evaluator of talent than Gaines. This is the reason we are saddle with the mistake of RJ. In the draft of 2018 Mills/Perry kept Gaines on board just long enough for him to give his assessment of who to draft and what moves to make. They only took part of his advice and that was drafting Knox, Robinson and signing Trier. The other part of the advice was to trade back for the two Clippers 1st rounder then draft Knox, Porter Jr. and Robinson. The Knicks had no structure system of tracking players before Gaines got there. That how we got Dotson, Robinson and Trier. Wondering how I know this? Well in the conversation I had with Mills(let the cat out of the bag) in February of last year. I question him about somethings and he gave that info to me. Mills/Perry hated Gaines and Phil the reason for getting rid of anything they produce no matter how good it was for the team. If that is to strong for you just honestly look back at all of their works and if it still their.

Mills/Perry got a very strong prediction from Gaines about Frank that I for one would hate to cross.

What mistake did Gaines make about RJ. You saw what he said about him. Always remember as you think about RJ and Gaines evaluation of him --- remember the 'Super Mario' evaluation. That should send chills up your spine.

Let you and I hope that Mills/Perry are fired today or tomorrow. BTW, who do you want as the New GM & President?? You know my choices.

tiger0330

Legend
PJ won those rings as a coach and not as a GM but he had 4 of the greatest players to ever play the game for him in MJ Shaq Kobe and Scottie so he gets more credit for those 11 rings than he should. He was a Knick but a lousy President and GM, he was lazy to a fault, sending Mills or others to scout guys abroad or at college games, falling asleep at the combine and I think I read he was always late coming to the office. Bottom line is just as those who credit him for coaching greatness because of those 11 rings, his tenure as an executive was a disaster hiring a rookie coach like DFish and bringing back the triangle in an era of pace and space.

GMs make the decisions about drafting and not the scouts. So when you say Gaines drafted those guys thatā€™s an over exaggeration, he might strongly recommend a player but the GM makes the decision. Teams also have multiple scouts and I have no idea about how much influence he had when he worked for the Bulls but on the Knicks he obviously didnā€™t impress Mills very much otherwise heā€™d still be here.

I like Ujiri, Presti for guys to straighten out this mess and I mentioned Chris Wallace as a guy that maybe should get a second chance based on that young up and coming Memphis team.

When I acknowledge Phil weakness it was of course for heading the F.O. Yes, Phil didn't play a time in those Bulls and Lakers Championships. It funny you didn't mention the Knicks two championships. THAT OK: When have you ever known a GM or President to go out and scout? You are 100% wrong about Mills scouting any damn body. If so you would have had the mess we got now. So think about that one. What was Gaines for if not to be a major influence on him?

Got a question-- If you hired someone that has produce more of something than anyone else in the world. Would you not want him to do the same thing with you? What won those championship for Phil? Cmon just say it!! Yeah, you said it. That is where his success was from and did you really expect for him to change? I would have been offended if he did. Now of course all those people out there that won more championship than Phil can complain. Can't They!!

As I said before Mills/Perry hated Gaines because he has forgotten more about talent than the two of them put together knows. Ever been in a situation that you didn't like someone because that SOB was smarter than you. And there no way in 'West Hell' that you will ever be smarter. What do you do??? GET RID OF HIM!! Who loses?? We do as fans because if those dumb SOB just left things along we would be in the this condition.

Do we have a year to wait for Ujiri? If you didn't read it I posted this -- Former Louisiana Governor Hugh P. Long said " the only person that going to help a Knick is another Knick". Now that not exactly the wording but it close. There is only one Knick that can get us out of this, IMO. Of course it isn't worth much!!

We both want everybody in the front office gone!!! That is our 'common ground'. Have notice that no one in the forum ever mention the word Championship when it comes to the KNICKS. No ONE!!!

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
It's a trivial point about how much scouting Mills did but I remember reading multiple times where he left Knicks games early so he could catch a plane to see some college team or when he went to Europe to interview Blatt and made a detour to watch some Euro. If you watch the broadcasts he's always seen on the road trips, with Phil the only trip he made was the West Coast one so he could visit his LA home and not work. I'll say again Phil was a bum that literally ripped the Knicks off for 60M.

So what if Mills was going to catch a college game. Let say he was scouting. Do you really put any credibility into any conclusion he came to? That is why Gaines was important Tiger. You know you talk about the Gaines 'Fat Paycheck' and now Phil 60M but never mention Mills/Perry salaries. WHY?? Compare to Phil/Gaines did Mills/Perry earn there money? Tiger, look at the mess this team is in, seriously. Things you have problems with Phil/Gaines are petty. At the end of the day who did us the most good of the two group? Phil/Gaines drafted KP(@ #4 Transformative) and Mills/Perry draft RJ(@ #3 not Transformative). That just one example. Frank is the only thing you can point to about Phil/Gaines that could be troubling and that isn't troubling if given D.Rose to tutor him. Who fault is it that D. Rose didn't stay on the team. It those ones that you and I agree that needs to be fired TODAY.

tiger0330

Legend
I would bet Mills and Perry combined donā€™t make half what PJ made. Paying PJ 60M guaranteed was ludicrously absurd and when he got hired I questioned hiring a guy with no front office experience and paying him that kind of dough. I said at the time the only way you justify it is if PJ did the job of coach and Pres like Van Gundy was doing in DET. Now PJ would be worth the money paying him 60M for both that HOF coaching resume and being president.