Game thread: New York Knicks vs Phoenix 7:30 1/16/2020 [Game #42]

tiger0330

Legend
We missed MM. Makes the first shot, a 3, he takes. RJ 2 fouls comes out 7 mins left in the 1st. Kid still has the tendency to force shots esp on his drives.

tiger0330

Legend
RJ demonstrates he's an iron man, twisted an ankle but tried to stay in to shoot his FTs but succumbed to his limp and comes out. Looked like a pretty bad sprain the way this ankle bent when he landed so I'd expect he misses some time.

tiger0330

Legend
Nits no court awareness, looking to me to have plenty of time to avoid the charge against Baynes. Guy is not a starting NBA PG if he can't push the pace like even a 2nd tier PG like Kadeem can, can't shoot or drive the basket very well.

mafra

Legend
With no RJ and with MRob in a series funk, there?s really nothing worth watching. Nobody even tries in defense. Rubio abusing Dotson... I feel for the dude. He?s just an awful shooter too. Brick house.

Randle forces turnover on himself in the paint.... tough to watch. MM not concentrating and bricking FTs.

Offense consists of 1 pass and then dude chucks it or goes ISO. Instead of working for a good shot, teams just takes first open look defense gives them... usually with like 15 seconds left on clock.

With Dolan, Perry, Mills and this weak draft class.... this is not turning around anytime soon.

tiger0330

Legend
Hate to pick on Nits, but he’s wide open for the 3 but passes up the shot to another guy that doesn’t have a better shot than he had.

Then misses a 3 about a minute later so you know why he didn’t take the previous 3 and misses an easy basket under the basket for a 1-7 night so far.

mafra

Legend
How about softie Knox. He wants to play PF... but he can?t even post up Rubio successfully.

Dotson plays 26 minutes and has 6 points and 0 assists and awful on defense. Knox and Knits can?t hit a shot. Trier doesn?t play. MRob reverting back to is inconsistent, non-impactful ways.

After 4 high lottery picks... we still ground zero of rebuilding. What a disaster.

Night like tonight reinforces why you get what you can for anybody. Morris included.

tiger0330

Legend
13 pts in the 4th, the gang that can’t shoot without RJ and Bullock and even with them sometimes have terrible shooting nights. Not sure what direction the Knicks go in either deciding to trade a guy like MM for assets and tank the season or to salvage the season by trading for a guy like Jeff Teague with one of those team option contracts they have.

Knicks need to do something but given how inept this front office is, wouldn’t surprise me if they sit on their hands for the rest of the season.

mafra

Legend
Knicks need to trade Morris and Randle and Bullock and EP and TAJ and Portis....

Then, shorten rotation to mainly just the kids: here?s my top 8...

DSJ, Trier, Frank,
RJ, Dotson
MRob, Wooten, Knox

Tell them to fight for their roster spot next season, and I am using this to evaluate. Whatever vets we can?t trade, then they can be our reserves...

Randle and Frank or DSJ for Drummond is where I start. Then I get assets for Morris and Portis. I see if I can use MRob to get KAT... MRob and our first this season and Knox and Frank is my offer...

Drummond
Kat
RJ
Re-sign Morris
Find a PG

This is a 2020-2021 NBA roster. Ah, we enter the dream season... happens often in JAN for NYK fans.

tiger0330

Legend
Halfway mark results, not winning many games when you
can’t defend or score.

Record: 11-30

Net rating: -8.3 (27th in the NBA)
Point differential: -8.4 (27th)
Offensive rating: 104.7 (27th)
Defensive rating: 113.0 (27th)
Pace: 99.9 (17th)

I think we?re kind of cooked. Front office standing pat with this roster would be a huge mistake. We are years away from relevance. Even a handful of extra 2nd round picks would give this franchise some options going forward.

paris401

Starter
if u take the best talent from each of our guards, n roll it into one guard, he would still suck... not including rj in this group...

jimkcchief88

All Star
Sounds like it?s was an all around awful game I give you guys props hanging in and watching. I hope RJ has a mild injury...At least Dumb Raider and Kiya got their wish: more Frank, Dot, Trier and crew. Predictable bad results followed. Meanwhile around the association the Pels Brandon Ingram has 49 points and Zion poised to comeback... what did we do to piss of the hoops gods again?

For once this season RJ tried to play defense. As you can see he got into foul trouble. I must say he at lest tried. Someone must have whisper in this ear about not playing any defense. Whoever it was must have been reading this forum. I did see in another forum that someone else was questioning his defense.

Some of the things written here are simply amazing.

Getting KAT for MRob. SERIOUSLY, Who in there right mind would make that trade. I'm all for getting KAT but that ain't going to do it. Now if you are serious then you have to offer our most valuable player. RJ for KAT if they are foolish enough over the hype that surround him to make this trade. This would give us a building block and rid us of a mistake. Let be real it will take more than RJ. It would take those two 1st from the Mav's. That sound like a good starting point for a player like KAT. Just think KAT is who we really wanted in the draft that produce KP. Maybe Lady Lucky will smile on us.

That cancer you trying to stop has already spread. It still here from last year team(remember "Damn it pass the ball"). Players only meeting showed what players are the problem. Wasn't players told to fight for roster spot this past summer? There was no Competition because there had to be face saving. Do you really think that Dotson and Trier for example really expect that to happen. Trier given the keys to the city last year and thrown under the bus this year. Believe me there is talk among those that have been mistreated and lied too. The problems must be cut out.

so he's 19, has played 1/2 of a year and he's a mistake???? maybe he will be a bust... but judging by 41 games.... please.....

The judgement is base on several things. 1. Was that player our greatest need(position ex. PG or SG) as a team? 2. At #3 does this player bring anything special. Ex. KP at #4 was an obvious matchup problem for opposing team. 3. Is that player a transformative player? Because that is what we need since building for the future was the main point. This was very important we couldn't relieve on a 31 yr old player coming off a major injury not mention not available for one year. 4. The draft being weak(+ discourage tanking) and the need for quality players(s) for the team. This probably the most important of all. If we could have trade back then that help in building a strong foundation.

Nobody put a gun to Mills/Perry head making them draft a 19 yr old. They had to because of that Pipe-dream they sold to everybody that bought it. They had you jumping up and down saying what a great pick the 19 yr old. Notice up until the ping pong ball fell there was no mention of the 19 yr old. You know who was being talk about and that goes back the #4 reason above. Go back and answer #2 truthful to yourself. Then Hayes, Paschall and Walker would fit pretty good right now.

Sorry if my views don't sit right with you. It simply what I see from what I know about BB.

mafra

Legend
After losses earlier in the season, the Knicks would sometimes say that they just needed more time to develop chemistry on the court.

After 42 games, that explanation is no longer valid.

"F--k that, nah, f--k that. The time is now," veteran forward Marcus Morris said following New York's 23-point loss to Phoenix on Thursday. "?. I mean at some point we as a team, you know what I mean, (we) have to pull together. We've been around each other for a long time. Everybody knows each other's game.

"? It doesn't have to do anything with new faces. We did that in the beginning, talked about that in the beginning. As a team we have to pull together, got to know what we're looking for, know the game plan, execute the game plan and just give ourselves a chance to win."

The Knicks didn't do much of that in the final three quarters of their loss to the Suns. They were outscored by 30 points after the first quarter. Morris and interim head coach Mike Miller felt that New York failed to play with enough effort on Thursday.

"Our energy level is not where it's supposed to be. X's and O's, at the end of the day, they only go so far. Our energy level just hasn't been where it needs to be," Morris said. "Being together, we're halfway through the season, you would expect us to be more together out there and more tighter. I just think at times we're pulling apart when we should be bringing it together."

"Kudos to Phoenix," Morris added. "But at the end of the day we were a better team. We should have got that win tonight."