Game thread: New York Knicks vs LA Lakers 7:30 1/22/2020 [Game #45]

jimkcchief88

All Star
Congrats on your Chiefs going to the Big Show. Mahomes for Super Bowl MVP.

Man thanks!!! Hopefully at least one of my teams can beat a 50 year jinx. I was born months after the Chiefs last won Super Bowl. I think the Knicks last won about that time. Mahomes shows what can happen when a moribund franchise gets a high draft pick right. The Chiefs moved up to grab Pat at 10. Local Bear fans here are pissed they moved up to grab Trabisky and missed Pat and Deshon Watson. That wiff probably set the Bears back a decade. Just like our Knicks who let ?Fail Jackson? pick Nits with DM on the board setting our rebuild back at least 5 years. It?s the same damn thing:( My Blues won finally won the Stanley Cup so it can happen but not when you waste lottery picks:(

mafra

Legend
28 FTs for Lakers to 13 for Knicks. Got to at least challenge the paint, no? Try to earn a FT or 2....

Lakers played this game at 40% effort and still won easily.

tiger0330

Legend
Man thanks!!! Hopefully at least one of my teams can beat a 50 year jinx. I was born months after the Chiefs last won Super Bowl. I think the Knicks last won about that time. Mahomes shows what can happen when a moribund franchise gets a high draft pick right. The Chiefs moved up to grab Pat at 10. Local Bear fans here are pissed they moved up to grab Trabisky and missed Pat and Deshon Watson. That wiff probably set the Bears back a decade. Just like our Knicks who let ?Fail Jackson? pick Nits with DM on the board setting our rebuild back at least 5 years. It?s the same damn thing:( My Blues won finally won the Stanley Cup so it can happen but not when you waste lottery picks:(
I posted in some game thread last year that Mahomes impressed me. He's been the best QB hands down this post season, I'm trying to figure out if his guys Kelce Hill Watkins make him better or he makes them better than all the rest of the NFL teams. Going with put him out there with any NFL squad and you got a chance to go to the Super Bowl, the kid throws darts and he's mobile. I can see why Bears fans are pissed Mitch is a flat out bust.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I posted in some game thread last year that Mahomes impressed me. He's been the best QB hands down this post season, I'm trying to figure out if his guys Kelce Hill Watkins make him better or he makes them better than all the rest of the NFL teams. Going with put him out there with any NFL squad and you got a chance to go to the Super Bowl, the kid throws darts and he's mobile. I can see why Bears fans are pissed Mitch is a flat out bust.

They all make each other better watch the speech Patty gave the boys after the 24-0 deficit against the Texans. Pure win one for the gipper and the team responded accordingly. Besides missing a PG we don?t have a team leader like that either:(

Kiyaman

Legend
Payton! Payton! Payton u were spose to keep going to a hot Dotson the last 5 min in the game to give Lakers a reason to double Dotson .. Dotson should've been given 20+ shot attempts tonight instead of 14 fga for 17 points .. SMH
Wow! Opportunities then turnover after turnover Knick in the 2nd half of the game .. then the crunchtime minute of Randle-Handle CTFU .. same ole Knicks !!!

Lakers Team-DEFENSE found it easy to defend Knicks offensive possession each quarter to 25 points or less tonight.
Lebron and AD will need another hustler in their rotation to beat the Clippers & Bucks in a series !!!

tiger0330

Legend
28 FTs for Lakers to 13 for Knicks. Got to at least challenge the paint, no? Try to earn a FT or 2....

Lakers played this game at 40% effort and still won easily.
That's what I thought watching, the Lakers were on cruise control beating the Knicks.

1-2 in this 10 game stretch leading up to the trade deadline with the Knicks having Morris able to play and not an excuse for them losing games. Let's see what our numb nuts in the front office do, they sure can't draft or make trades, Nits and DSJ prove that and what about that secret sauce our VP of player development talked about last season with not one of our young players better this year than last year. This whole front office needs a major reorganization starting at the top.

mafra

Legend
Knicks in limbo until after next season, when Dolan will chase Masai from TOR.

Gonna be even worse next season.

6 or 7 50-loss season tough to handle... after this season and next... that?s the run we are in the midst of.

Kiyaman

Legend
Spurs vs Pels Zion return 9:30 oh the Lakers vs Knicks, Morris out with a sprained ankle. Should be a Laker laugher tonight.

I thought Pelicans coach Gentry wouldve wrote up several inside plays for Zion at the start of the Game ..
Its half-Time Spurs 60 - Pels 51 .. and Zion played 8 minute took 2 shots for 2 pts, 3 rbs, 1 ast

Knicks in limbo until after next season, when Dolan will chase Masai from TOR.

Gonna be even worse next season.

6 or 7 50-loss season tough to handle... after this season and next... that?s the run we are in the midst of.

It?s insane. Our front office has nothing to lose by absorbing bad contracts, even if they are bad for up to 3 seasons. We are going to be bad next season too, which means we are at least 3 offseasons away from having any chance at signing big free agents.

Trade the team friendly deals for bad contracts and get the picks! Our front office can?t just sit on their hands when what we should do is this obvious.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I thought Pelicans coach Gentry wouldve wrote up several inside plays for Zion at the start of the Game ..
Its half-Time Spurs 60 - Pels 51 .. and Zion played 8 minute took 2 shots for 2 pts, 3 rbs, 1 ast

Zion really took over in the 4th he doesn?t need plays this kid is special has inside out game posts up offensive boards put backs and can set shoot from 3 the basketball gods hate us sell the team Dolan!!!?

Got some questions -- If you going to sit and wait a year for Dolan to axe the present F.O. then who making the decisions on 1. This year trade deadline? 2. Who is going to handle this year 2020 draft? 3. Who is going to handle this year 2020 F.A.?

Final Question -- Going to let Mills/Perry do any of the above? They should have been lead out the door with Fiz. So his no-coaching butt doing a sport casting.

There is a deeper problem with this organization that stems from what drove KP from the Knicks. We don't know what that is yet. We speculate but do we really know? Until that problem is solve then the ones with the players can be address.

Kiyaman

Legend
Zion really took over in the 4th he doesn?t need plays this kid is special has inside out game posts up offensive boards put backs and can set shoot from 3 the basketball gods hate us sell the team Dolan!!!?

The Dynamic performance the rookie Zion showed scoring 17 pts in the 4th quarter has to have AD wondering if he made the wrong decision to leave NO Pelicans .. Keep AD, draft Zion, and sign FA PG D.Angelo Russel.

Well it was nice to see 4 minute of Dennis Smith Jr. moving so well on the court.
However, the spot minute playing-time giving to DSJ make me wonder was that FO move?
Question why bring DSJ in against a really tough team in a tight situation? We were down by 5 pts, and Payton was playing well and even though Frank could not hit a shot he looked to be penetrating and playing good D.

mafra

Legend
RJ is 19 and playing for an org that has sucked for 2 decades... A guy like Dunn is 25 and was in 2018 draft, played in G-league last season and is playing for a stable franchise with a legit NBA Star, HC, prez.

The allure with RJ... is what will he be like when he?s Dunn?s age, after 5 NBA seasons!

tiger0330

Legend
RJ is 19 and playing for an org that has sucked for 2 decades... A guy like Dunn is 25 and was in 2018 draft, played in G-league last season and is playing for a stable franchise with a legit NBA Star, HC, prez.

The allure with RJ... is what will he be like when heā€™s Dunnā€™s age, after 5 NBA seasons!

I hear you but that applies to every rookie in this draft class but the statistical rankings are a better way to measure rookie performance rather than an eye test and these rankings have guys that have been mediocre like Reddish and Culver ahead of RJ. What the stats tell me is that so far RJ didn't deserve the minutes or starting role he got but was given them because the Knicks want to fast track his development. Look I'm an RJ fan but facts are facts.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Before crowning RJ ROY and dissing Bullock you should take a look at these rookie rankings where RJ doesn't fare so well being bested by every top 10 rookie. RJ was doing well in JAN before turning his ankle but has to continue the trend to rise up in the statistical ranking.

https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-rookie-rankings

And what about Bullocks career numbers??? RJ hasn?t even played a full season so the sample size is too small. And that goes for all the Rookies. The key is RJ is trending up, or was before his injury. I know it?s the Knicks so we eat our own because the franchise still sucks. Doesn?t matter If it?s it?s Melo, or Eddy Curry or ?Crawful?(Jamal Crawford), or Starbury. I am one of the few posters left to survive the ?Starbury Wars?. So now RJ is KO.Com?s latest whipping boy because he was the 3rd overall pick he?s RJ not MJ. That?s an unrealistic expectation. So I will hold to hope that RJ turns out. Bullock is my whipping boy because he obviously spends more time getting his wig braided and colored than he does working on his broke jumper on chief.

mafra

Legend
I hear you but that applies to every rookie in this draft class but the statistical rankings are a better way to measure rookie performance rather than an eye test and these rankings have guys that have been mediocre like Reddish and Culver ahead of RJ. What the stats tell me is that so far RJ didn't deserve the minutes or starting role he got but was given them because the Knicks want to fast track his development. Look I'm an RJ fan but facts are facts.

Dunn and Porter were in the 2018 draft class.... Just like I called BS when Embiid won ROY.... To me, a 25 year old who played in G-league last season isn?t a rookie. Porter spent all last season in DEN, getting professional training an everything... a taste of NBA life.

It?s what you are using to evaluate and measure.... are all things equal? Who are they sharing court with, what systems? What are they being asked to do

Did you read what Wade said about position switch? RJ went through camp and on cusp of season, Fiz decided out of blue to start kid at PG.

And, who exactly has ?earned? playing time for NY? Don?t the all kind of leave us wanting something more?

We are in rebuilding mode, right? So the priority should be building for the future. So, yeah, your high lottery pick is getting special treatment. The goal is to get this kid playing like an All Star down the road... reaching his potential.

Frank? EP? DSJ? Bullock? Dotson? Who exactly is being slighted, whose play on the court warrants them playing time over RJ? And, we have to remember, we aren?t at practice... we don?t see who is proving themselves day in and day out with their work in practice.

I believe now we ride Bullock (to showcase for trade) and Dotson (to see if we are re-signing him).... but if RJ was being benched for a SG hitting 30% of their 3s, or a vet who hasn?t played all season... then we would be calling for the HC?s head.

mafra

Legend
And what about Bullocks career numbers??? RJ hasn?t even played a full season so the sample size is too small. And that goes for all the Rookies. The key is RJ is trending up, or was before his injury. I know it?s the Knicks so we eat our own because the franchise still sucks. Doesn?t matter If it?s it?s Melo, or Eddy Curry or ?Crawful?(Jamal Crawford), or Starbury. I am one of the few posters left to survive the ?Starbury Wars?. So now RJ is KO.Com?s latest whipping boy because he was the 3rd overall pick he?s RJ not MJ. That?s an unrealistic expectation. So I will hold to hope that RJ turns out. Bullock is my whipping boy because he obviously spends more time getting his wig braided and colored than he does working on his broke jumper on chief.

Exactly.... And aside from 2012 with Kidd, since Marbury.... the collection of PGs would be an embarrassment if you had to lace up with them at YMCA.

RJ wouldn?t be the franchise player I would build around not is he the dream third pick in n the draft... still, no denying reality he was one of the better prospects to enter college in some time. We preferred quality over quantity (always smart call in Star-driven NBA league).

Now we wait 3 years to see what happens.