gt.png

BKN.gif
at.png
NYK.gif

(19-25) -- (12-34)

VenueTVTIME
Madison Square Garden, New York, NYMSG6:00 PM EST

Game Preview

Neither the New York Knicks nor Brooklyn Nets have had much success against the elite of the NBA over the last month. The two Big Apple rivals will get a chance to steady themselves against each other Sunday night, when the Knicks host the Nets.

The Nets will be looking to win for the second time in as many nights after outlasting the host Detroit Pistons, 121-111, in overtime on Saturday. The Knicks were off Saturday after falling 118-112 to the visiting Toronto Raptors on Friday night.

Saturday's win was just the third in 15 games since Christmas for the Nets, who are 1-10 in that span against teams that entered Saturday in a playoff spot. The month-long tailspin included a seven-game losing streak from Dec. 26 through Jan. 7 and a five-game skid that ended Saturday, when Kyrie Irving scored 45 points and committed just one turnover.

But the victory Saturday nonetheless solidified the Nets' hold on the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Brooklyn (19-25) is three games ahead of the Chicago Bulls (18-30) and 3 1/2 games ahead of Detroit (17-30).

The game against the Pistons was the first of seven straight for the Nets against teams that entered Saturday with a sub-.500 record. After visiting the Knicks, Brooklyn will get chances to solidify its hold on the eighth seed by hosting the Pistons on Wednesday and the Bulls on Friday.

"We've got to make some money back," Nets head coach Kenny Atkinson told reporters Saturday night. "We went through a bad stretch -- the seven in a row and then went through this stretch. Whether it was against good teams or not, it's still a losing stretch. We've got to put money back in our pockets. We've got to make some money before the All-Star Game."

The debt is even greater for the Knicks, who have played better than the Nets since Christmas (5-10 overall, including 2-7 against teams occupying a playoff spot entering Saturday). New York's last three losses are to postseason-bound teams, but the Knicks were outscored by just 17 total points against the Raptors, Philadelphia 76ers and Los Angeles Lakers.

"Definitely tough to keep losing like that," Knicks forward Marcus Morris said following Friday's loss. "It's tougher that we're right there and we're losing. (If they) were not even competing and getting our (butt) kicked, that would be like 'OK, we're not doing nothing.' But we're right there in that game."

Unfortunately for the Knicks, a 7-24 start to the season has all but assured they will head to the lottery for the seventh straight season. But like the Nets, New York will head into the All-Star break with a chance to make up some ground in the Eastern Conference. Eight of its final nine games of the first half are against teams that entered Saturday with a losing record.

The Knicks will likely be without rookie guard RJ Barrett for much of that stretch. Barrett, who has missed the last four games after suffering a sprained right ankle Jan. 16, will be sidelined until at least his next evaluation, which likely won't take place until next weekend.

--Field Level Media

Didn?t realize it was an early game. Kyrie did what he needed to do for himself tonight and Knicks get the win.

mafra

Legend
Back and forth game for three quarters.... then Kenny went small and Miller went with post offense and NYK pounded inside to pull away a bit... then held the 9-13 point lead entire 4th.

Nets clearly ran out of gas, for they played last night. Frank and MRob and the vets all with nice games.

Kiyaman

Legend
Rest In Peace !!!

WTF !!! The Kobe n daughter death !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday, news were some top level Sad-sadness !!!
When we leave our home, the blessing is when we return home safely !!!

I'm not to sure many NBA players mentality were really on the court yesterday, after the news ....
I liked the 18 minute performance we got from the 5 Knicks bench players adding 37 points on practically 70% fg shooting.

mafra

Legend
With the SB this weekend and then the NBA Break coming up and MLB spring training starting in 2 weeks....

This Kobe mourning is going to last thru All-Star weekend. And rightly so. There are many layers to this story...

Lots of people talking about what Kobe accomplished.... For me, aside from the dad-daughter aspect, I feel sadness for what the world lost... what Kobe was going to do for people the next 50 years.

No words have been greater spoken that that one truism: ?like a thief in the night.?

I still recall it vividly.... One of my HS coaches talking to me at a bar in 1995.... I just started college.... and he?s now telling me about this HS kid they faced in PHILLY, and how special he was.

The question then was, ?What schools are recruiting him?? A few HS kids made the jump, but most failed. Sure, there was Moses Malone...

But, at the time, if a kid was goood.... you knew how good based on quality/quantity of schools recruiting them.

Coach tells me, ?this kid ain?t going to college. He?s going pro.? A few months later, KG made the successful jump.

Not much internet then.... so I didn?t think much of it. Then, draft comes and there is Kobe. I?m like, oh... he does look good.

Bryant was gonna be on the Nets. Calipari wanted him. Kobe didn?t want them but agreed to If maybe.... blah blah... anyway, team drafts Kittles and the rest is history.

Anyway... I?ve known of Kobe for 25 years now. More than half my life. I enjoyed watching him play, and was in awe over his work ethic. I never met him.

I met Shaq at work and then tried to box him out in the elevator. Shaq was a great, friendly, outgoing, down to earth man. I always sided with Shaq, bc I met him and liked what I saw... didn?t like what I heard about demanding, introverted, major ego Kobe.

But that was only his on court persona. And when I learned about the man and intellect Kobe was.... I switched and respected his attitude more (during playing days).

Dude was an intellectual sponge. Wanted to improve and get better in all areas. Good father, knew multiple languages.

Sure, we can?t discount the Colorado incident... but we have to look at the entire picture.

Kobe worked for everything he earned... he touched so many different people intimately and in a myriad of ways. And, again, I feel so sad for our loss, for all the things Kobe won?t do now... impactful things that he would?ve done for so many more people if he lived another 30-50 years.

He didn?t kneel, or claim maga or Me2.... he simply just did good things, unselfish things, for other people. He took advantage of his talent by working hard to maximize the return... in retirement, it appears he was taking advantage of his stature in culture to foster positive change in a cooperative, all-embracing fashion.... this is unique... the world is a tad darker today now that this light has been extinguished.

Mamba out, indeed!

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Two stories I heard recently tell you something about Kobe. One is the one Breen tells, where he's in China riding a cab wearing an NBA jacket and the cab driver asks him if he knew Kobe, Breen replied yes I know Kobe. The cabbie stops the car gets out and starts crying because he met someone that knew Kobe Bryant. He was the most popular player in China when he was playing and always made trips to China to market himself because of his enormous popularity, a real global icon and superstar.

The second story I heard was from a local restaurant he frequented, in which he ordered takeout quite frequently, he would come in and wait on line for his order telling the owner, don't look at me like some star I'm just a customer. Never knew that he had that kind of humility.

His work ethic was legendary, rising early in the morning to get his weight and cardio training in, usually the first car to park in the Lakers facility. He worked to be great, no easy thing to do for 20 years. I can't remember an outpouring of grief and sympathy for an NBA player like he's been receiving. A bball legend has been taken from us way too early.