Game thread: New York Knicks vs Memphis Grizzlies 7:30 1/29/2020 [Game #49]

That's twice Dolan's been embarrassed at MSG, the first time he sends out Mills to apologize to fans. Yesterday was icing on the cake, if he had any doubts about firing Mills and Perry they vanished yesterday. Let's see what the Two Stooges can do, we've only made 3 trades since the 2017-18 season so I'm skeptical they pull anything off.

Maybe you have forgotten but letting Mills/Perry make any trades wouldbe a horrible mistake. Either fire them NOW!! Or stand pat with everything until Magic, Phil and Gaines are hired and rehired. This is our only HOPE!!

mafra

Legend
Sorry but RJ was a PG and he was SG and now he is a SF. As you know he is playing the SG because that is the only position that the FO can hide him. Your comparison example doesn't fit in this case.

Notice how important it is to realize that RJ wasn't the player to draft for this team. Also JA moved the needle for Memphis. That move the needle sounds familiar doesn't it.

Notice how the drop off of talent between JA and RJ. Moving the needle. I know you don't like it just reread your own post. You have dug in on a mistake that isn't of your doing. Maybe now you and other can see that it moves like this that hurt the growth. At the end of the day look at where we are today and this time last year. If you see a great different like JA has done PLEASE show it to me!!

Nice try... Duke had Jones and Cam as the back court... Coach K had RJ as the SF. He?s a SF... Fiz tried to wedge him into the PG spot, and got fired for it.

Why not ask Melo to be the PG? Or have Barkley play QB for Giants, or have Aaron Judge pitch.

Nice try... Duke had Jones and Cam as the back court... Coach K had RJ as the SF. He’s a SF... Fiz tried to wedge him into the PG spot, and got fired for it.

Why not ask Melo to be the PG? Or have Barkley play QB for Giants, or have Aaron Judge pitch.

We ain't talking about Duke and coach K!!!!

Well, if you are trying to make a point for Cam or Jones they were both available at #3, huh. Now if you are say that then it means we should have trade back, huh?

If RJ is a SF why are they as you put it trying to wedge him into a SG?? Which is what he is playing, CORRECT??

Not mention that Knox was playing the SF so why draft RJ? He definitely isn't a better player. Please don't give me no BS because who could he beat out of a position on this team. Nobody!! Trier is a hell alot better player also and should be playing.

Melo isn't on this team(thank God). Why aren't you jumping up and down and shouting about RJ playing out of position? Never heard you say one time that he was playing a position that he wasn't suited for when it comes to BB. NOT ONE!!

You have dug a hole for trying to justify drafting RJ and it keep getting bigger and bigger. The cracks are showing up and there are some in this forum that see what I been saying. A #2 moves the needle but our #3 doesn't.... Something wrong with that picture. Our focus should have been on a PF not an average SF.

Kiyaman

Legend
I have to admit .. The Grizz young-core team out-played the Knicks yesterday for 48 minute in so many categories, Team-ball, ball-movement, offense and defense. The rookie Ja played less than 30 min to give the Grizz a (18-10) performance. And Brook & Clarke scoring performance dance on the Knicks defense for a combine 44 points.
The Grizz had a great shooting night .. 50% FG, 46% 3-ball line, and 85% FT. When were the last time the Knicks shot so well ???

Payton suspended one game. Morris fined and apologized for his post game comments. Couple Memphis players also suspended, including Crowder.

mafra

Legend
Payton suspended one game. Morris fined and apologized for his post game comments. Couple Memphis players also suspended, including Crowder.

An act of poor sportsmanship from the Grizzlies? Jae Crowder led to a violent shove from Knicks point guard Elfrid Payton. Crowder, who was defenseless while taking a rub-it-in-3-pointer in the final seconds of Memphis? blowout victory, fell into the seats. A small scuffle ensued. Marcus Morris then said Crowder has ?female tendencies? and is ?soft, very woman-like.? That wasn?t meant as a positive. Morris apologized on Twitter but the damage was done: while the late Kobe and Gigi Bryant were inspiring a dad and daughter movement, the message from the Knicks locker room was that women are weak and sensitive.

Not a good moment.

It was one of those nights that serves as a notice of the organization?s misguided priorities. So what?s next for the Knicks? The most troubling part is there?s no answer. Neither Dolan nor anybody in the front office has spoken publicly since firing Fizdale. Instead, they?ve allowed Mike Miller ? the latest shield ? to serve as the spokesman for everything from a coaching change to trade requests to the deaths of people (David Stern and Kobe Bryant) he didn?t know. Steve Mills? pledges to be more communicative with the media and fans have gone completely awry.
It was only about two years ago when Mills was lamenting Phil Jackson for forcing Jeff Hornacek to explain away all the problems.

?We clearly put Jeff in a very difficult situation,? Mills said. ?It?s not fair to him that every question about what?s going on within the organization he has to deal with.?

I will say this, Crowder saying that he only knows how to play one way and that is to the buzzer makes him sound like an idiot. Lots of guys play hard and still show good sportsmanship. Crowder is a tool.

On the other side, a couple years ago I remember when Jimmer played for us that he attempted a 3 in the closing seconds of a win instead of letting the clock run out. No one knocked his ass to the floor. A guy on the other team just told him, ?hey, that?s not cool?, and Jimmer apologized.

Everything doesn?t have to be so malignant, except with this team, apparently it does.

htr10 RESPECTFULLY I disagree with Crowder sounding like an idiot.
I was listening to a ex-player not sure who it was now. And it funny this fight if that what you want to call it. He was speaking to the very thing that Crowder was doing 'Playing the whole 48 minutes'. He spoke of players standing around talking to one another, high 5ing , patting each other on the back 'And there time on the clock'. They should be playing up until the horn blows. This is the very thing I was speaking to when I suggested that we get young hungry players that play the whole game. They don't care what the score is and what the circumstances are they play hard for 48 minutes.

I for one applauded Crowder for not taking off a second until the horn blows. Whether you like it are not that is the kind of player the Knicks need. Play hard for the entire game.

I was listening to a ex-player not sure who it was now. And it funny this fight if that what you want to call it. He was speaking to the very thing that Crowder was doing 'Playing the whole 48 minutes'. He spoke of players standing around talking to one another, high 5ing , patting each other on the back 'And there time on the clock'. They should be playing up until the horn blows. This is the very thing I was speaking to when I suggested that we get young hungry players that play the whole game. They don't care what the score is and what the circumstances are they play hard for 48 minutes.

I for one applauded Crowder for not taking off a second until the horn blows. Whether you like it are not that is the kind of player the Knicks need. Play hard for the entire game.

Agree to disagree. Playing to the buzzer when you are winning by a large lead is silly and gratuitous when the other team is just trying to run out the clock. Same as a team winning big in football and then deciding to throw a bomb for a TD instead of running out the clock. Playing to the buzzer is something the losing team should be saying.

Paul Pierce said he would have pushed Crowder too.

tiger0330

Legend

Agree to disagree. Playing to the buzzer when you are winning by a large lead is silly and gratuitous when the other team is just trying to run out the clock. Same as a team winning big in football and then deciding to throw a bomb for a TD instead of running out the clock. Playing to the buzzer is something the losing team should be saying.

Paul Pierce said he would have pushed Crowder too.
It's one thing to make a play like that when the game is close, an example of that was in a Bulls game against CHA and they were down 2 with 2 seconds left with CHA inbounding the ball and Zack comes charging in to steal the ball to make a game winning 3 but this was bush with the Griz having a big lead with no chance of defeat. There are unwritten customs in sports like not running up the score to embarrass your opponent, Crowder crossed that line. I guess the NBA doesn't have a rule for it but I would consider one to call a bush league play like that taunting.

Like I said Dark, you're offbeat and have far out opinions.

mafra

Legend

Payton said he had no issue with the steak... playing hard. But why didn?t he go back up with it, or pull it out to waste time?

The moment he meandered backwards to 3-point line and tries to bury a 3.... that?s the moment he made himself vulnerable to be in a position to incur NyK wrath.

I would prefer a really hard foul over a blatant shove.... but I?m fine with EP holding Crowder accountable for trying to show them up.

I believe the trash talking all game probably boiled the moment some more....

One of those things where both are wrong and both are right. It?s certainly nothing egregious or noteworthy. Just athletes venting.

I want players who play hard from
Buzzer to buzzer and who have pride and will enforce unwritten rules and let the game police itself.

It's one thing to make a play like that when the game is close, an example of that was in a Bulls game against CHA and they were down 2 with 2 seconds left with CHA inbounding the ball and Zack comes charging in to steal the ball to make a game winning 3 but this was bush with the Griz having a big lead with no chance of defeat. There are unwritten customs in sports like not running up the score to embarrass your opponent, Crowder crossed that line. I guess the NBA doesn't have a rule for it but I would consider one to call a bush league play like that taunting.

Like I said Dark, you're offbeat and have far out opinions.

"Offbeat and far out opinions" .
If you read my post it talk about an ex-NBA player talking about this very thing a few day ago. I agreed with him and I see no problem with Crowder taking the 3. He playing hard, hustle and made a play for his team.
We as a team embarrassed ourselves and it showed the sorry state of the Knicks. A team that you played...played 48 minutes from tip to final horn. Those unwritten rules are exactly what they are unwritten. This should be a wake-up call for the team. When you take or someone gives you a azz whipping unless you man enough to get up off the floor and whip their azz. This over with and you plan to get even and beat anybody else azz that try the same thing.

Then maybe Memphis shouldn't have ran the score up to 26 points because it
embarrassed the the Knicks and there fan.

Payton said he had no issue with the steak... playing hard. But why didn?t he go back up with it, or pull it out to waste time?

The moment he meandered backwards to 3-point line and tries to bury a 3.... that?s the moment he made himself vulnerable to be in a position to incur NyK wrath.

I would prefer a really hard foul over a blatant shove.... but I?m fine with EP holding Crowder accountable for trying to show them up.

I believe the trash talking all game probably boiled the moment some more....

One of those things where both are wrong and both are right. It?s certainly nothing egregious or noteworthy. Just athletes venting.

I want players who play hard from
Buzzer to buzzer and who have pride and will enforce unwritten rules and let the game police itself.

Payton wasn't playing hard for 48 minutes. He took the play off and get embarrassed.

The Knicks players should have had some wrath before and during the game.

The Knicks were shown up long before that play. So they took a long time to get mad.

I agree with you about the trash talking during the game boiled over to that moment.

Things can't be both wrong and right. They are either one or the other.

Mafra are very wishy-washy on one hand you a problem with a guy playing hard. Then you want players hard from buzzer to buzzer. How do you enforce unwritten rules?? What hell is let the game police itself? OFFICIALS, huh!!

Payton wasn't playing hard for 48 minutes. He took the play off and get embarrassed.

The Knicks players should have had some wrath before and during the game.

The Knicks were shown up long before that play. So they took a long time to get mad.

I agree with you about the trash talking during the game boiled over to that moment.

Things can't be both wrong and right. They are either one or the other.

Mafra are very wishy-washy on one hand you a problem with a guy playing hard. Then you want players hard from buzzer to buzzer. How do you enforce unwritten rules?? What hell is let the game police itself? OFFICIALS, huh!!

Everyone was wrong. Crowder, Payton, and Morris. Only distinction in my mind is that Morris, a 30-year-old man, has owned up to disparaging women and has apologized multiple times.

Crowder is a fake tough guy. Payton is an even faker tough guy. Morris is a real tough guy who just needs to let his play speak for itself on this otherwise awful team.

mafra

Legend
This is main reason you trade MM...

Bagley:

?The Knicks are probably going to get plenty of calls from teams interested in Marcus Morris between now and next Thursday's NBA trade deadline.

You would expect them to listen to any offers on Morris, because that's what any team would do in their situation.

But it's worth noting that at least one team in touch with the Knicks recently was left with the impression that Morris and New York have strong mutual interest in reaching an agreement in free agency this summer, per SNY sources.?

Team simply loaning MM for a few months. Get something for that... then bring him back In July

This is main reason you trade MM...

Bagley:

?The Knicks are probably going to get plenty of calls from teams interested in Marcus Morris between now and next Thursday's NBA trade deadline.

You would expect them to listen to any offers on Morris, because that's what any team would do in their situation.

But it's worth noting that at least one team in touch with the Knicks recently was left with the impression that Morris and New York have strong mutual interest in reaching an agreement in free agency this summer, per SNY sources.?

Team simply loaning MM for a few months. Get something for that... then bring him back In July

Are there rules about resigning guys you traded away at the deadline?

mafra

Legend
Even though her teenage son was singled out by James Dolan for chanting ?Sell the Knicks?? Wednesday night, removed from his seat by security, detained for 15 minutes and had his student ID taken, the boy?s mother said she?s ?all good?? with the Knicks owner.

?[Dolan] called me [Thursday],?? the mother, who insisted on anonymity, told The Post. ?We had a pleasant and respectful conversation. It?s all good.??

The mother, a 20-year season-ticket holder from Manhattan, would not reveal if Dolan apologized. She said security treated her son with extreme respect and was not physical in removing him from the seat.