Game thread: New York Knicks @ Cleveland Cavaliers 7:30 1/28/2020 [Game #48]

mafra

Legend
Morris misses buzzer beater.... seems like we go years without getting a buzzer beater.... then again, when we are constantly taking contested, fall-away, long 2-point shots... these are inefficient opportunities.

MM was wide open cutting down lane but pass was late, and when he caught it he inexplicable drove away from basket (instead of towards it)

tiger0330

Legend
Good D forcing a 24 sec after MM 16 ft FG by IN that gave the Knicks a 1 pt lead. 35 secs left. Knicks with the ball. MM hits from the right elbow, 3 or lead. 13 secs left.

mafra

Legend
ISO-Morris delivers.... Knicks up 3 with 13 seconds left. Most of NYK bench on their feet invested in the outcome.

Chemistry takes time... Morris night just be a poor-man?s Melo.... help kids develop while staying somewhat competitive? I can?t imagine we keep him.... but if the only offer is the 29th pick.... maybe we do hold on to him.

mafra

Legend
15-36 into ASB.

31 games remain.... schedule does get easier... help could be coming...

Is 15-16 possible? I always felt 30 wins was the key to show growth (or avoiding 50 Ls).

mafra

Legend
Knicks won on the road... scored 139, and win a game when their opponent went 18-35 from downtown

Broadway

All Star
BOS fans late 80s said same thing about MJ....

DSJ probably a bust... but he?s only 21... If you bring in projects... have to be patient and develop. Otherwise, let?s just go back to trading picks for vets and see what happens.

I wanted about 20gms where he could get 20min/gm to prove his value. He started the season awful with a combination of issues but I felt he deserved at least 1 last shot of a clear review before we decide to move on(thorough due diligence)

I believe he?s a better prospect than STANK, even if not by much but hey if we get worthwhile offers for any of these clowns, they all can get the ole heave ho

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
It?s almost like a race between Frank and DSJ to see who can develop a jump shot, right.

DSJ has elite athleticism and Frank plays good to really good defense. Both could make a huge leap if they could consistently knock down shots.

And, yes, when you have teenagers... they need to play. They don?t develop watching!

I?m not in love with either but I do see something there... just not sure we can polish these gems... but if they ever figure out the shooting... you got a player.

Frank impacted the game like a madman late... hitting shots and making hustle plays... he even stopped a big on the block...

DSJ is unguardable with his physical gifts... can he dribble, make intelligent decisions, have vision, hit a shot?

Even Knox is eventually gonna be a solid 3-point shooter... just might take 3 more years!

Just think, if we went with the youth movement for the next 3 seasons.... All of these kids still under 25.

But how do you know what you have when they don?t play much, coaching turnover, roster turnover, poor front office / owner....

FWIW, Knicks are now 7 - 9 on the road under Mike Miller. Knicks were previously 1 - 9 on the road under Fizdale.

Also, worth noting that Mike Miller is now 11 - 18 overall as head coach. Fizdale was 4 - 18 before his firing.

I still feel strongly that Fizdale was a big part of the problem and that Miller has helped stabilize things. Under Miller, we would be projected as 31 - 51 for a full season. I feel like that is pretty accurate to the ?talent? of this roster.

Under Fizdale, we were projecting out to be a horrific 70 loss team. We were never that bad, still not very good though.

mafra

Legend
I agree. Miller has earned the right to stay on... I understand if a new prez wants his coach... but I don?t think JVG would be a smart hire... M.Jax perhaps.... but Miller has this roster responding.

Now, with that said, I get playing vets to showcase for deals... but I want kids to get heavy minutes come March.

NO to JVG!!
No to M.Jax!!
Miller is troubling to me because he seen like he to predictable. For example-- last night final minutes it MM or nothing. Now is it the roster that he dealing with that causes that predictability or is it him. Remember that run with playing the same 5 players in the 4th quarter when he took over the team. If it me I'm not giving Miller anything out side of this season.