Steve Mills Fired!!!

mafra

Legend
Rose will be looking for a GM, word around camp fire reports.

Marc Stein:

Leon Rose has no front-office experience ... but if the Knicks were not prepared to undertake a protracted pursuit or Masai Ujiri or any other established name under contract they have at least managed to poach one of the biggest names possible from the player agent ranks

Ian Bagley

While there might be concern about hiring a player-agent, Leon Rose's decades of experience should help him as the new team president for the Knicks: "You could've done a lot worse, this seems like a good hire because of his reputation around the league" (@IanBegley)

Frank Isola

Leon Rose maintained a good relationship with Jim Dolan over the last 10 years. Obviously, getting Carmelo to the Knicks was a huge part of it. He?s got ties to a lot of coaches including JVG, Thibodeau, Mark Jackson and John Calipari.

Bill Simmons

The Knicks turning their team over to Leon Rose and Worldwide Wes almost broke my brain. It?s actually smart. I can?t believe it. I wrote about Wes in Feb. 2010. This is one of my favorite stories.

Wojo

Knicks adopting a model that has gained popularity w/ the successes of Bob Myers (Warriors) and Rob Pelinka (Lakers). Rose has been one of the top agents in basketball for years, w/ clients including Joel Embiid, Chris Paul, Devin Booker, Karl-Anthony Towns and Carmelo Anthony.

mafra

Legend
Sounds like the overwhelming and almost universal thinking is that Dolan finally made a sound decision. Interesting.

Given that the timing and quick decision opened us up for more ridicule, for naturally there was no reason to rush this decision...

But, despite the quick hammer... there is praise abound all over internet from a myriad of voices. O?tay! Let?s go.

And, the really good news, Rose gets to veto any trade today he deems bad for our future.

Old Knicks would?ve hired Rose day after Mills made a trade.

Broadway

All Star
This got real unnerving real fast. We’re turning the team over to Leon Rose of CAA and possibly also to Worldwide Wes? This won’t end well.

I don't like the hire and yes just think of how disastrous this could be if it doesn't work? As if we could think of anything coming close to what we've experienced this surely could topple everything

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Obviously, he's got a lot under the cap working for the biggest names in the NBA. He should be able to attract talent with those relationships like Pelinka does in LA. If he assembles the right staff, and I assume he's connected with everyone in the league and has opinions about them maybe this will work with him being a recruiter and another being the GM. Anyone know what Worldwide Wes is going to do?

Obviously, he's got a lot under the cap working for the biggest names in the NBA. He should be able to attract talent with those relationships like Pelinka does in LA. If he assembles the right staff, and I assume he's connected with everyone in the league and has opinions about them maybe this will work with him being a recruiter and another being the GM. Anyone know what Worldwide Wes is going to do?

Spend the next 3 months convincing the Knicks to hire John Calipari?

jimkcchief88

All Star
Clowning us on ESPN right now. I guess the Knicks new slogan is? It can?t get any worse..? Pitiful. Again another guy with NO experience. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. There must be a picture of Dolan in the dictionary next to that definition. SMH.

tiger0330

Legend
Get to know these faces, the new Knicks front office. That's Leon Rose far right and Wesley Williams beside him.
GettyImages-99312592-1536x1305.jpg

mafra

Legend
I imagine Rose was instrumental in R-Paul's ascension as an agent. Rose only makes like 40 mil a year on commish? So, this aint a money grab. Agents always feel like they're smarter than GMs, and most are... He must truly want to test his chops as an exec...

Poor Dolan thought Phil would be his Riley, but little did he know that Jax was a lazy SOB who stole his money...

tiger0330

Legend
Reading Rose's bio and you can't rule out he could become a success ala Pelinka, Meyer and the guy in MEM. He's an attorney and you can't tell by his photo because he looks too small but he played college ball at Dickenson U. so he's probably been a bball junkie his entire life. I mentioned like in MEM the Knicks going that route in hiring a hot shot lawyer and Chris Wallace, the guy might be a great exec for the Knicks.

mafra

Legend
I don?t get how Pelinka has proven himself in LA? He was a disaster until LeBron decided he wanted to move his family to Los Angeles. That?s wasn?t anything he had something to do with.

AD trade was easy bc it was a 1 team race...

mafra

Legend
Leon Rose forged a career as a top basketball agent the old-fashioned way: he worked tirelessly, fueled by bottomless ambition, and built something out of nothing. He started with one client ? a backup guard named Rick Brunson, who spent three of his nine seasons occupying the last seat on the Knicks bench.

Early on, he made the acquaintance of William Wesley ? known across the basketball universe as World Wide Wes. Together they assembled a star-dappled roster of stars ? Allen Iverson, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, start there ? and sold Rose?s practice to Creative Artists Agency in 2007, and under CAA?s flag Rose kept planting roots inside every patch of fertile basketball communities. Karl-Anthony Towns is his big fish now.

He takes over the Knicks now, and it is an out-of-the-box selection, and one that might even be widely praised if the track record of the man who hired him, James L. Dolan, wasn?t so besmirched. And look: until Dolan starts to get a thing or two right with the Knicks, there will only be worries about all he has done wrong.

Mike Vacarro

mafra

Legend
Given his relationship to Thibbs... I wonder if Rose hires him to groom MRob and RJ into next Noah-Butler duo?

Lets cross our finger!!!

I'm not on board with this until I see something positive. Trading MM and not getting the kid Mfiondu Kal. is shocking. Guess you getting MM back at the end of the year.

tiger0330

Legend
Leon Rose apparently going to pursue Tom Thibodeau or Jeff Van Gundy for head coach. Let’s do this!
Doubt Thibs would do this being a HC and team president but I’d love to see a JVG as HC and Thibs as lead ass’t like in the old days. Story about Fiz saying one of the things he would have done differently is be harder on the young guys which is what I commented about him that he was too friendly with the players, that wouldn’t happen with JVG and Thibs.

mafra

Legend
We can draft a PG and then have RJ and MRob. Go with Thibs and see if he can bring his system and groom RJ and MRob into modern version of Butler and Noah.

JVG seems like he?s more invested in coaching NYK, but I think our roster best suited for Thibs style, no?

Can somebody tell me what is the hype over JVG?? His brother is a hellve lot better coach than him. So what is all the hype about. He isn't that Good and he is bad!!!

Can somebody tell me what is the hype over JVG?? His brother is a hellve lot better coach than him. So what is all the hype about. He isn't that Good and he is bad!!!

I prefer Thibodeau by a large margin, but don?t get the JVG hate. He was successful overall as a head coach.

tiger0330

Legend

I prefer Thibodeau by a large margin, but don’t get the JVG hate. He was successful overall as a head coach.
Second best record for a coach in Knicks history, only Slick did better. A winning record in 4 years with Houston. Made Yao, who had limitations into a HOF player, you could see his growth every year to become a dominant low post player and the center of JVG offense. Great defensive coach but I hope he can adjust to this new 3 pt shooting offense in the NBA. He lost his job in Houston, wasn’t fired, they didn’t renew him because the owner wanted to play a faster, higher scoring offense.

Just read online that Worldwide Wes will not be formally joining the Knicks front office. Apparently, his other business ventures are preventing this from happening.