Steve Mills Fired!!!

The Ujiri rumors really have gotten complicated. One rumor says that Dolan really isn?t that high on Ujiri but NBA officials, including Adam Silver, are trying to make Ujiri to Knicks happen because Knicks success would be good for the entire league.

Another rumor says that since Ujiri delivered a championship to Toronto, they will let him go without much fuss if he asks to go to another team.

tiger0330

Legend
Giving TOR 2 first rounders for Ujiri is exactly what Ujiri wouldn't do and I'm sure he would tell Dolan, look if you want me, wait until next year.

tiger0330

Legend
I think it’s #3. Dolan hires PR firm to improve team image for fans and a couple weeks later a widely despised executive finally gets shown the door after years of ineptitude. Probably not a coincidence.
imo, it was Mills reported reluctance in trading MM when Perry was in favor of doing it. I think every trade scenario I heard with the Knicks said trade him, get what you can and get him back in FA. Getting anything back for a guy only under contract through June is a no brainer, even Dolan could see that.

mafra

Legend
Yeah, I don?t get this sense of urgency? Perry and Mills can handle biz for a season.... If you want Masai so badly, simply sit tight a year. Why rush?

This isn?t a great draft or a free agent class. We won?t do damage staging the course and waiting a year...

I bet Mills told Dolan he wanted to keep Morris and wanted to trade a bunch of picks and players for Russell. Dolan finally knows this guy is about to ruin org for another 5 years... Good riddance.

I think it?s all in the pitch. If you are Dolan and you interview a potential executive hire who presents to you a realistic plan to get this team some legitimate guys to build around in the next 12 months, I think you hire now and not later.

Mark Cuban got KP from us for a lottery draft bust, 2 picks that will almost certainly not be lottery picks, and some bad salary that didn?t even last 2 additional seasons.

Maybe someone walks in the door and says here is my plan to take advantage of another team?s stupid front office for once.

mafra

Legend
?When Mr. Dolan was walking out of the arena the other day, the whole crowd was yelling ?Sell the team.? So whoever he hires, I just hope he doesn?t micromanage,? Shaq said. ?You need to let a guy be able to do his thing. When I was playing in Miami, Pat Riley ran the show. Micky Arison owns it, but Pat Riley ran the show. When I was with the Lakers, Jerry West ran the show. So whoever they hire, I just hope Mr. Dolan just stays out the way.?

?I don?t really understand why people don?t want to come to New York. I?ve talked to a lot of players on why they don?t want to come to New York,? Shaq said, ?and basically they said the management stinks.?

Listening to NBA Channel on satellite radio and one host made the point that if Knicks can move Randle and trade Morris for a couple 2nd round picks or a late 1st round pick, then they would basically have clean books at the end of this season, all their own future picks, multiple additional future picks, and a couple young guys still on relatively small contracts.

This would be a setup that could definitely attract a top executive candidate. Very low floor, lots of flexibility, and easy path to improvement.

mafra

Legend
Hasn?t Dolan learned anything from the Melo debacle?

Supposedly, Masai wants to come.... is leaving TOR when contract is done.

Why can?t we wait, especially if he?s our owner?s top choice? Why so inpatient?

From Posting and Toasting:

Marc Stein reports:

Two people in the league whom I trust deeply for their reads on this situation have been telling me since December, when the Knicks fired Coach David Fizdale after a 4-18 start, that Ujiri intends to maneuver his way to the Knicks after his moves helped the Raptors win a championship last season.

Both people, who were not authorized to share their insights publicly, went so far as to proclaim that Ujiri may even try to bring along Bobby Webster, Toronto?s well-regarded general manager.

One told me he is convinced that Ujiri?s relationship with the chairman of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, Larry Tannenbaum, is such that the Raptors would ultimately bless the move if Ujiri wants it badly enough.

Further, at least two trustworthy Raptors reporters seem to believe that Ujiri might not be long for Toronto. Bruce Arthur of the Toronto Star noted in a Tuesday column that Ujiri was not offered a contract extension over the summer, and wondered aloud whether that could signal his impending departure.

Meanwhile, Michael Grange of sportsnet.ca, connected some dots in a piece of his own and said that ?taken together, a picture seems clear.?

The Raptors haven?t offered Ujiri an extension, he?s determined to become a free agent and he may have an out on his deal this coming summer.

Short answer? Ujiri is gone.

On Wednesday, Marc Berman of the New York Post reported that Dolan is already beginning to believe Ujiri is not the answer. Berman?s article also notes that Dolan made the Mills move now, two days before the trade deadline, so he could start searching for a new person to run the team before news that he was going to get rid of Mills leaked.

Per Berman:

Dolan?s fast pace doesn?t appear to bode well for the candidacy of Raptors president Masai Ujiri, who has been high on the owner?s wish list.

According to a source, Dolan has been leery of Ujiri, with the mounds of publicity he has gotten as a candidate and using the Knicks as leverage with Toronto.

Apparently, Dolan also isn?t fond of the fact that the Knicks would have to trade assets for the right to hire Ujiri since he?s still under contract, even though that?s exactly how the Knicks pried Perry from the Sacramento Kings.

There have also been reports that the Knicks could consider a front office model that is similar to that of the Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Lakers, except not in the sense that they are guaranteed to build a winning team. Instead, this scenario would see the Knicks follow in those teams? footsteps by hiring a player agent to work in the front office.

In a separate report, Berman wrote that Rich Kleiman, who manages Kevin Durant, could be someone to watch out for if that?s the case. Kleiman was supposed to deliver KD to the Knicks this summer, but as you may have heard, Durant is not currently on the Knicks and is instead on the Brooklyn Nets. Hiring the guy who failed to get you KD? That?s called playing 4D chess.

People from Creative Arts Agency have also been bandied about as potential front office recruits, while names like Daryl Morey and Sam Presti are being discussed by fans but have yet to be named as actual realistic targets.

There?s certainly a lot of uncertainty surrounding Madison Square Garden, but one thing is for sure: the trade deadline is Thursday at 3 p.m., and no one has any clue what the hell is going to happen.

Kiyaman

Legend
Listening to NBA Channel on satellite radio and one host made the point that if Knicks can move Randle and trade Morris for a couple 2nd round picks or a late 1st round pick, then they would basically have clean books at the end of this season, all their own future picks, multiple additional future picks, and a couple young guys still on relatively small contracts.

This would be a setup that could definitely attract a top executive candidate. Very low floor, lots of flexibility, and easy path to improvement.

Mills was given the Knicks interim president job, a job that never should have lasted after one full offseason.
Firing Mills days before the Feb. Trade dead-line says Mills wont ever get a NBA executive job again.

Mills & Perry are to damn predictable, they do exactly what sports media suggest them to do.
Marcus Morris Sr. were the Knicks best FA signing in the offseason, Taj Gibson were the 2nd best signing.
Both players are 2 to 3 year keepers for the GROWTH of the Knicks young-core players.
Payton and Randle up n down performance are tied as the Knicks 3rd best FA signing in the offseason, and both players should not be put to worry bout being traded their first season as a Knick by the Big Apple Media, and the Knicks clueless Puppet FO.

mafra

Legend
An example why Mills got canned and why Perry is next....

The Grizzlies used $17 million in cap space to absorb Iggy?s contract - and the Warriors sent Memphis a first-round pick to take in Iguodala

Now, Memphis is flipping Iggy for a 23-year old Justise Winslow.

#ValueOfCapSpace (Knicks signed Bobby Portis to a $15 million contract)

What?s better? Winslow and a 1st or nothing? We will see what we get for Portis.... but methinks it?ll be same haul we got for Noah V (zilch).

When you?re a bottom feeder.... you absorb contracts for assets. You don?t sign vets on a merry go round year by year crap.

An example why Mills got canned and why Perry is next....

The Grizzlies used $17 million in cap space to absorb Iggy?s contract - and the Warriors sent Memphis a first-round pick to take in Iguodala

Now, Memphis is flipping Iggy for a 23-year old Justise Winslow.

#ValueOfCapSpace (Knicks signed Bobby Portis to a $15 million contract)

What?s better? Winslow and a 1st or nothing? We will see what we get for Portis.... but methinks it?ll be same haul we got for Noah V (zilch).

When you?re a bottom feeder.... you absorb contracts for assets. You don?t sign vets on a merry go round year by year crap.

Well put. Memphis isn?t done either. Held Crowder and Solomon Hill out tonight. Likely trading them for more assets. Memphis has a good young team and continuing to build for the future. We?re always a step behind what is common sense to other franchises.

mafra

Legend
Well put. Memphis isn?t done either. Held Crowder and Solomon Hill out tonight. Likely trading them for more assets. Memphis has a good young team and continuing to build for the future. We?re always a step behind what is common sense to other franchises.

Poor MEM, right. After Gasol-Conley run... 2 dark years... Boom. Rebuild done.

Good news from Wojo...

?... As much as (Dolan has) coveted Masai Ujiri, the hurdles it would take to get there, from draft compensation to Toronto allowing him out of his contract to Masai wanting to do this, he seems that he has lost his desire to go forward and chase that,? Wojnarowski said.?

I love it. For once we play it cool. Ball?s in your court Masai. If you had any desire to be in NY.... your window for next 5-10 years might close shut if you don?t force your way out.

Dolan sending message he won?t wait for you nor will he attempt a massive exchange of assets to bring you here.

You won?t use us as leverage!

So, if he truly wants NY stage to maximize his Africa charity venture.... well, it?s time to cash in your equity in TOR and ?ask? that they let you go for a reasonable cost (Trier and a couple second rounders).

Trier has been mis-coach by the Knicks. Yeah, that Fiz and FO fault from last year "Past the damn ball". Dotson and Trier should be sharing the SG position. Both can score the ball. Just run plays that don't let Trier IZO. Masai isn't the answer for the Knicks, IMO. Simply because of the cost and timing. Our past is with someone else and they are free with a cost on them. That is also the case for a coach. Miller isn't the answer and should be let go with Perry... Today or at the end of the season. This would mean No Trades are to be made on today.

Woj reports that Leon Rose has emerged as a top candidate for Knicks front office. He represents KAT and Russell, as well as a lot of other guys. How would this even work?

mafra

Legend
After parting ways with Steve Mills on Tuesday, the New York Knicks are set to hire CAA player agent Leon Rose as their new president of basketball operations, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and Ramona Shelburne.
Rose is LeBron James' former agent, and currently represents some of the top players in the league -- Joel Embiid, Karl-Anthony Towns, Chris Paul, Devin Booker and Carmelo Anthony.
The two parties are expected to begin negotiations shortly after the end of the trade deadline on Thursday, according to the report. A formal deal is not expected be announced right away.
Rose does not have experience in an NBA front office but would be in keeping with the current trend of player agents moving to that side of the operation, following in the footsteps of Bob Myers with the Golden State Warriors and Rob Pelinka with the Los Angeles Lakers.
The Knicks parted ways with Mills on Tuesday, just two days before the trade deadline. He had served as the president of basketball operations since 2017, with his tenure as executive vice president and general manager dating back to 2013. During that time, the Knicks have gone a combined 117-365 without a single playoff appearance.

This got real unnerving real fast. We?re turning the team over to Leon Rose of CAA and possibly also to Worldwide Wes? This won?t end well.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks reported to be hiring CAA player agent Leon Rose to be the next team president along with a guy named William Wesley. Dolan goes for another guy with no experience as a GM, I hope he's brilliant but I have my doubts about not being more patient to get Ujiri or Presti.
[FONT=&quot][h=1]Knicks don?t wait for long: CAA agent Leon Rose to be next team president
[/h]
GettyImages-1195366276-1024x683.jpg

[/FONT]

By Mike Vorkunov 18m ago
comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

[FONT=&quot]The search for the next Knicks president lasted just two days. The organization is nearing a deal to name Leon Rose, the co-head of CAA basketball, its next team president, league sources told The Athletic?s Shams Charania. New York is also finalizing plans to bring William Wesley into the basketball operations structure, sources told Charania.
Rose is among the most prominent player agents in the NBA. He represents Carmelo Anthony, Karl-Anthony Towns, Devin Booker and others.
The Knicks have had longstanding ties with CAA in the past, including when Anthony was a centerpiece of the organization. Rose has been a frequent figure at The Garden.
His hire would represent a quick decision for the franchise, although he will not take over immediately. The Knicks fired Steve Mills Tuesday and quickly set upon a search for his replacement. That they were considering a player agent as their next president became clear. Raptors president Masai Ujiri had long been considered a desired candidate, but the Knicks moved too quickly to make that a reality with the season in swing and still months to go until Toronto?s season would end.
General manager Scott Perry has been running basketball operations since Mills was let go. The NBA?s trade deadline will come Thursday at 3 p.m. ET, and the Knicks could be busy, including a decision on whether to keep Marcus Morris, who will be a free agent this summer.
Now, news of the intention to hire Rose has come out just hours before the deadline.
The Knicks have famously been unable to land top free agents in recent years, including last summer. Instead, they have landed one of the league?s top agents, who has connections to the kind of players they should hope to sign.

[/FONT]

mafra

Legend
This got real unnerving real fast. We?re turning the team over to Leon Rose of CAA and possibly also to Worldwide Wes? This won?t end well.

Things don?t end well at MSG bc they don?t start well.

Has Dolan been interviewing for months? Why the rush here? Typical Knicks...

Good news... In 2024, we?ll be clearing house and starting from scratch again.