Game thread: New York Knicks @ Charlotte Hornets 7:00 2/26/2020 [Game #58]

Kiyaman

Legend
I don't see the reason to play the vets to win games like Miller is doing. Time to give the young guys that don't get burn like Dotson and Trier more time on the court. I think Rose when he comes on board Sunday will name the new coach before season end as his first move. Hopefully he's been in discussion with Thibs during this moratorium before the official announcement of his hiring.

I miss the game, thinking Miller and the veteran rotation had a sure Knicks win over the 19-38 Hornets.
It does look like coach Miller are playing our BUM vets over the young-core players.
I wonder how Rose feel bout the Knicks TANKING the mid-season to be the number #1 worst team in the league? again.
Will Dolan let Rose hire a winning head-coach (Thibs)? I doubt it!

Trier making things happen... 9 in the 4th... 15-6 run and he?s a catalyst... 97-95... here we go
It's a terrible shame coach Fiz & coach Miller could not find a way to use Trier's scoring talent this season.

Trier 9 of his 11 pts in the 4th gets the Knicks to within 2 97-95 CHA 3 left.
Yes, Trier does find ways to score several points in the 4th quarter under pressure.

Final possession... EP dribbles ball off his leg again. Turnover. Why is he playing over DSJ?
It should not be a surprise to any Knick fan after watching the Knicks the first half of the season that Payton, Portis, Bullock, Ellington, and Randle are not 4th quarter players, their decent first-half players. Their clumsy performance shows in the 2nd hallf when put under pressure.

tiger0330

Legend
I don't see the reason to play the vets to win games like Miller is doing. Time to give the young guys that don't get burn like Dotson and Trier more time on the court. I think Rose when he comes on board Sunday will name the new coach before season end as his first move. Hopefully he's been in discussion with Thibs during this moratorium before the official announcement of his hiring.
5 game losing streak for Miller just prior to the new president coming on board. Not a good look for him to become the permanent head coach. The season pretty much over for the boys, if I'm Rose I want the new coach in place this season to get a running start for next season.

Officiating:
There were several plays that I think the Knicks should have gotten free throws or call for a tick-tack foul.

A. Tick-tack fouls on Knox boxing his man out under the basket, Smith got at least 2 or 3, Payton got called for 2 or 3.
B. Free throws for MRob on two plays he was going up with the ball and fouled but no free throws.

4th quarter lineup:
Why was Knox on the bench because his defense was pretty good. He look good in the first half taking the ball to the basket.
* Not a big DSJ fan but he played good last night taking the ball to the basket. But he stop in the second half like Knox stop taking it to the basket.
*As for Payton dribbling the ball off his foot, Randle missing slam dunk, Knox trying to get the ball to MRob under the basket on his drive(there was an opening but it close), DSJ tripping Rozier from behind, and don't forget Trier missing a 3(down by 3), etc. These are all things that happen in a game. Nobody dribble the ball off his foot intentionally, Nobody miss a dunk intentionally, try to get the ball to a teammate under the basket because you just miss you last shot, taking a 3(not a brick- went in and out) after you just made a difficult shot with a defender hang all over you. I'm not going to second guess any of those plays because I view them positives. Two are just unfortunate plays and two are player readjust to the situation.
*Miller surprise me with his 4th lineup having RJ and Randle on the bench. Outside of Harkless on the floor instead of Knox was a concern. He stayed with the hot hand of Bobby P. and played Trier. Somebody in the Houston game Thread mention something about playing Trier because he is a better ball player. Miller must have heard him.

mafra

Legend
Randle?s frustration with the Knicks? losing seems to be growing by the day. Randle, after being benched the entire fourth quarter for hot-shooting Bobby Portis in Wednesday?s loss in Charlotte, bolted the locker room after the game before reporters were allowed inside.

That marked the third time in the last four games ? all losses ? Randle left early. It?s noteworthy because prior to that, he was usually the first player to talk after a game, often waiting for the writers by his locker, fully clothed.

Knicks' Leon Rose era now has a starting date
This is Randle?s sixth season in the NBA, and a loss by the Knicks (17-41) Thursday in Philly will clinch his sixth straight losing season.

????-
Personally, I like Randle as a man. A good guy, working hard. He?s limited, but if employed properly... has value.

I just think a front court of RJ-Randle-MRob is poorly conceived.... unless you have the splash bros in the backcourt....

I would think we?ll be looking at Freddy VanFleet, Joe Harris, Andre Drummond and Josh Jax in free agency. It?s probably imperative we deal Randle as well, to fully free RJ and let the kid go to work. Barrett needs better spacing to succeed. I trust he?ll improve his jumper, but to fully realize his potential... open the middle.

mafra

Legend
?Nothing Knicksier than a completely unforced turnover on a key possession?

The Knicks squeaked their way to a loss in Charlotte

By The Ghost of Kristaps Past

These are the Knicks who rarely do what they should or what?s expected of them. As another season inexorably ticks down to its merciful end ? allowing us to laugh at the misfortune of other teams, delight in their fans? schadenfreude and talk ourselves into next season?s surefire turnaround ? the Knicks still refuse to deviate from the course they?ve charted, which has led to 17 wins in 58 games.

That means Elfrid Payton was immediately thrust back into the starting lineup and played the entire fourth quarter off of an injury. It means the Knicks fielded a starting lineup with not even one credible shooting threat. It means they always have to play two bigs together in 2020. It means Mitchell Robinson still cannot be entrusted to start games. It means a lot of things, most of which, after 58 games of relative ineptitude, are grating, to say the least.

RJ Barrett touched the ball for the first time three minutes into the game. In the first nine minutes he touched the ball three times total, and had one shot and assist. When he came back in, he was chucking ? poorly. I don?t blame him. For most of the season, the Knicks who have preached a steadfast commitment to development, yet have have empowered Elf-and-Randle buddy ball with RJ asked to space the floor to service that effort.

mafra

Legend
More from Poasting and Toasting:

Coming out of Duke, one of the primary knocks on Barrett was his perimeter shooting. One of the primary reasons to believe in his upside as a scorer and creator was how improved NBA spacing would benefit him. Almost predictably, the Knicks have leaned on his worst ability to come to the forefront while minimizing his best abilities on-ball. RJ has almost exclusively played as a two-guard and mostly in lineups with, at best, one credible shooting threat on the floor. Payton has been empowered to yo-yo with the ball constantly. Ditto for Randle. This is how we?ve chosen to spend the year ?developing? our prized third overall pick. If you think that?s been worth something to his (and the franchise?s) future, well, let?s just agree to disagree.

I?m convinced there?s a dick-measuring contest going on between the Elf/Randle duo and RJ, with the former two conspiring to freeze him out. On three occasions in the first quarter, Elf ignored RJ on wide-open swings and instead went elsewhere with the rock. Grundle routinely refuses to kick out to him even when faced with triple teams. For his part, yesterday RJ certainly seemed to have had enough. Twice in a row in the third quarter after he pulled down defensive rebounds he ignored Elf?s pleas to immediately get him the ball and brought it up himself with positive results. Rumble, young man, rumble.

mafra

Legend
In that vein, Damyean Dotson getting DNP?d is a ****ing clown show.

Mike Miller?s done a good job, but this current rotation is a ****ing abomination. His reliance on Payton for the entire fourth ? right off an injury, where he looked a bit off the pace ? was crazy, and at least indirectly led to those crunch time turnovers. I?m happy he holds the young guys accountable for lazy defense and selfish offensive play. I?m less thrilled there?s a tangible difference in the standard he holds rookie-scale contract players to compared to the more expensive vets. If anything, I?d say the defensive effort and offensive togetherness is more consistent with the younger dudes.

One thing I truly enjoy is Terry Rozier morphing into Russell Westbrook every time he faces the Knicks. I was worried that after Mike Dunleavy Jr. retired, we didn?t have a consistent non-descript Knick killer in the league, but I can rest easy now.

I still can?t get over how ****ing awful Elf?s closing stretch was. On top of the two turnovers, he also bizarelly fouled Graham 35 feet from the hoop when they were in the bonus. Just awful.

Frank Ntilikina (48.3 TS%), Elfrid Payton (45.8 TS%) and DSJ (39.9 TS%). That?s all.

Kiyaman

Legend
SIX (6) Knicks straight LOSSES .. And just like that we tumble to a 4 way tie for 2nd worst record (in terms of wins).
Finishing second to last would guarantee a top 6 pick (Dolan) !!!
Have coach Miller been coaching to TANK by not playing the young core players?
That's what it has look like in the past 5 losses .. Miller has been coaching to TANK the rest of the season.
Last season Randle & Payton performance got the NO Pelicans Zion.
Bullock & Ellington SG performance doesn't belong in the guard rotation when we have several young-guards in need of playing-time the remainder of the mid-season games .. Dotson, Trier, and rookie RJ Barrett.
Second-season center MitchRob & SF-Knox need to be in a frontcourt trio-lineup together alongside veteran PF Taj Gibson learning moving, spacing, screening, and boxing-out on offense/defense vs Knicks opponents the remaining games of the season.
Fizdale & Miller's isolation coaching has Portis & Randle performing as individual-stat players as big-men that dont pick or screen for the PG,or teammates.