Coronavirus outbreak

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking about starting a separate topic to follow the events that are coming our way, NBA or non-NBA related.

The WHO has declared it pandemic as of yesterday so things are dead serious right now and everyone should feel responsible for himself and his close ones until scientist can develop a vaccine. It might take months or years to reach the public because developing is one thing but testing it requires a lot of time to observe how the human body might react to it so until that happens, expect to face some difficult times.

Don't be shy to buy larger amounts of non-perishable foods and items, sanitizers and anything that might be difficult to obtain case transports slow down (and they will). Stay home unless it's something important that you need to do. Avoid large crowds, wash hands frequently and avoid touching your mouth, nose & eyes as much as possible. If your job allows it, apply for home office.

Pat posted this article in the Hawks game thread which goes deep into the situation.

I also recommend Joe Rogan's podcast from the other day with Michael Osterholm, an expert in infectious disease epidemiology. A lot of good info in those 90 minutes.

The NBA has suspended activity as of today following Utah Jazz' Rudy Gobert being tested positive for coronavirus. Apparently the only other guy who was also tested positive, out of 58 tests on the Jazz organization only Donovan Mitchell was also confirmed (per Shams).

The five teams that played the Jazz the last 10 days will send their players to self-quarantine (Knicks included)
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28891354/donovan-mitchell-tests-positive-coronavirus

Feel free to share anything you find important about this.

Reportedly, the Knicks, Rockets, and Pacers were 3 franchises who wanted to keep playing until a government mandate stopped them.

Also, please don?t hoard stuff and buy more than you need. Your 6 month supply of something probably means someone else can?t get that same thing and they might need it today.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Also, please don?t hoard stuff and buy more than you need. Your 6 month supply of something probably means someone else can?t get that same thing and they might need it today.

My country is just getting the taste of the virus and the shelves of the supermarkets are already empty for flour, rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizers. There are also other products that i usually buy and i can't find them anymore. (Yes, there are available products that i can replace them with but not the ones i usually get). The rubbing alcohol and the hand sanitizers are in particular difficult to find and when they do appear they are bought in a matter of hours. (I don't even mention the surgeon masks because those have all gone since before the first confirmed case). I have that strange feeling of the communist era again..

Bottom line: I'm not suggesting to buy months of supply, just to be prepared with some basic stuff that might come in use because there will be a high demand on some of these stuff.

tiger0330

Legend
So far the NCAA seems to be going ahead with their plans to televise the games in empty arenas, which I find unbelievable in light of all the leagues cancelling their games. Pure greed, I wish the TV channels would announce that they wouldn’t be broadcasting the games because of the virus, I’m sure the greedy NCAA officials would have to cancel if they had to play in empty arenas and no one could watch on TV. Barkley said they should cancel, he’s got more sense than the NCAA.

tiger0330

Legend
They called off the tourney. Absolutely no sports to watch anywhere since other nations are cancelling games. NY banning gatherings of more than 500 and shutting down Broadway. Economic impact of this is going to be huge even if it’s for only a week, heaven forbid it lasts longer we’ll have a serious economic downturn if it does.

Kiyaman

Legend
It's scary out there today, super-markets empty, schools closed, frantic neighbors denying help to senior-citizen neighbors, the thought of how long will it last a month or maybe 3 month? How bad will it get?

It's scary out there today, super-markets empty, schools closed, frantic neighbors denying help to senior-citizen neighbors, the thought of how long will it last a month or maybe 3 month? How bad will it get?

Denying help to senior citizens? Those are the people who need help the most right now. They?re in the most danger. Damn. People are awful.

tiger0330

Legend
Not happy with how Trump is handling this at all. That botched speech with all those statements he backtracked on. Banning travel from Europe let leaving England and Ireland off the ban where coincidentally he has golf courses and a travel ban would hurt and later reneging and instituting a ban. He initially refused to get tested despite coming into contact with persons confirmed to have the virus and getting his doctor to say he didn’t need to be tested yet getting tested anyway later. The guy does everything without thought and by the seat of his pants when we need leadership.

Speaking of leadership, he recently said he’s not responsible for anything that got botched in the virus response but in 2016 said if you’re a leader you’re ultimately responsible, seems what applies to Obama doesn’t apply to him. What a dope.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Just a little update from my side of the world. Following Italy's example, France and Spain are also going into a lock-down. Spain will soon reach the 8,000 confirmed mark while France is at 4500. A lot of my countrymen are expats, and most of them had moved out to Italy or Spain. Ever since the sickness broke out in Italy, there was a huge influx of fellow Romanians returning home. And with some of them, the virus. I myself had returned from Rome just a day before the outbreak in northern Italy. Luckily i avoided infection but i should say i was a bit worried in the first couple of weeks.

Romania, even though only reached 100 cases yesterday, had declared state of emergency as of tomorrow. All public spaces are getting shut down but grocery stores and hyper-markets will still be open. Most probably people will only be allowed outside to buy food or for going to work (where work from home is not possible). We have a 2-3 weeks delay from the other European countries and this lock-down might had come just in time. If successful, i expect the number of new cases to slow down in the next couple of weeks and have it stabilized at a few thousands. Our medical system is nowhere near Italy's or most EU countries and will collapse unless we manage to contain it as soon as possible.

I went to buy some stuff from Lidl this morning and they were controlling the number of people allowed in, which is a good thing. Most people are already following the norms and are staying at home. Now they gonna have to continue do that for the next 30 days. Streets are pretty much deserted as you can see in the shots i've taken earlier, seems like January 1st but much warmer.

djJ7KAj.jpg

iEuM9mM.jpg

jhMtYc3.jpg

l2oYnK1.jpg

ALK1gT0.jpg

RTRYgWw.jpg

3iK7Txb.jpg

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Nice pics, rady.

It was weird shopping today with a lot less people out.

Eat and drink healthy, everybody. It's more scary what the majority of people in countries such as the U.S. eat. The S.A.D. diet.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I work in a supermarket so I don't have the option of working online unless they create jobs for it. I would love to work online, not because of the virus, just because I'd enjoy it a lot more.

tiger0330

Legend
Nice pics, rady.

It was weird shopping today with a lot less people out.

Eat and drink healthy, everybody. It's more scary what the majority of people in countries such as the U.S. eat. The S.A.D. diet.

I work in a supermarket so I don't have the option of working online unless they create jobs for it. I would love to work online, not because of the virus, just because I'd enjoy it a lot more.
Nice to see you posting RJ. You might know since no one responded but I was wondering if Crazy8s still runs his Facebook Knicks forum and whatever happened to the other guy that is still listed as the moderator for this forum CoolClyde. If he’s still the moderator he should come around and visit occasionally.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Nice to see you posting RJ. You might know since no one responded but I was wondering if Crazy8s still runs his Facebook Knicks forum and whatever happened to the other guy that is still listed as the moderator for this forum CoolClyde. If he’s still the moderator he should come around and visit occasionally.
Hey, tig. Hope all is well.

I have no idea. I never posted on there. I have wondered recently where those two are though. Would also like to see KingStarbury come around here.

tiger0330

Legend
Hey, tig. Hope all is well.

I have no idea. I never posted on there. I have wondered recently where those two are though. Would also like to see KingStarbury come around here.
Forgot about the King, Chief remembers all those guys. Hope all is well with you and do take care of yourself in these crazy times.

tiger0330

Legend
Read Trump tried to negotiate a vaccine contract with a German company named Curevac exclusively for US use. What an idiot this President is, people all over the world are dying from this virus and he wants it exclusively for the US. It’s a credible story also because a German investor who owns an 80% interest in Curevac said the company called him when Trump contacted the company and asked him his opinion and he told them a German company should not be producing a vaccine that would only be for Americans.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Forgot about the King, Chief remembers all those guys. Hope all is well with you and do take care of yourself in these crazy times.

Yea I remember all the old school posters...most don’t come around anymore....CC, DonChris, Pat, Protect ur Picks Isiah,MetroCard, now of them. And the couple new posters...let’s just say group intellect on KO.COM is at an all time low. We used to never agree, but at least most had valid opinions that we backed up with some facts. Now it’s all Trump-like stuff. Say stupid things like:”Dot should be getting more clock than our number 3 lottery pick” and other stupid crap like that:(

pat

Starter
I'm in Germany and it is a true story. Right after he actually met with Trump White House people, he got sacked. The dumbest part is that this company closely cooperates with a German Institute which is 100 per cent state funded and Germany could always veto anything. Thank goodness those evil clowns are grossly incompetent.