Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LOL,
    Picks are set where offensive with ball is not where player setting wants to be. You keep digging a deeper hole so why not just stop!!
    He made the shot on a very poor defender. That doesn't say a lot for RJ. When growing up you only got credit for something like that if the other player was better than you. Drowning people grab after straws if it will keep them from drowning. Cut your losses and stop trying to justify someone else mistake.
    Ask yourself the question... Why is it now that a PG that can make 3's so important? Per Fiz... was he part of the decision to sign Ellington, Bullock and draft RJ? Shooting guards are ones that open the floor not PG. What is RJ? THAT RIGHT!!
    Last edited by Dark Raider; Mar 27, 2020 at 17:54.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Raider View Post
    LOL,
    Picks are set where offensive with ball is not where player setting wants to be. You keep digging a deeper hole so why not just stop!!
    He made the shot on a very poor defender. That doesn't say a lot for RJ. When growing up you only got credit for something like that if the other player was better than you. Drowning people grab after straws if it will keep them from drowning. Cut your losses and stop trying to justify someone else mistake.
    Ask yourself the question... Why is it now that a PG that can make 3's so important? Per Fiz... was he part of the decision to sign Ellington, Bullock and draft RJ? Shooting guards are ones that open the floor not PG. What is RJ? THAT RIGHT!!
    This is like when we were arguing about whether Nits should have defended PJ or Graham when he switched onto PJ when Graham had made 8 3s that game and you said that was the right play. I said you stay on the hot shooter, if memory serves, Graham made the dagger after Nits left him.

Like Mafra said if JR was trying to set a pick it was half hearted either because he felt I'm not in the right spot or because RJ waved him off which he didn’t do with a hand motion and must have done it verbally if he did.

12th man

LOL,
    The old eyes ain't what they used to be, RJ did wave him off so I apologize Dark, also thought Zach was the guarding him when I first saw the play. You're right Dark, the rook had his nerve, glad he made the shot. Lol

Nothing to apologize for!! He made the shot, T.G.
    Often the glass is half empty for me and half full for you. It's the same glass of water just what you see.
    Problems start when we stop talking or communicating.

12th man

AGREED!!
    Making the shot was very important. Waving off the play is troubling to ME. Again 'To ME'!! Rookie don't wave off plays call by the coach. Only a Jabbar, Wilt, Magic or Jordan has that power as rookie's.

What message does it send to the rest of the team. If some of you have forgotten this is a team sport!! There already bad blood with rest of the team(per MM players only meeting). This doesn't build CHEMISTRY within the team??
    There is another 'C' word that is spreading within the team. When the F.O. thought they cut it out by trading THJ and company. It still there!!

As a Knick fan u have to recall .. the Knicks head-coaches & president did not make the right decision throughout the the 2019-20 season having a greater consistency of losses than wins (21-45 record).
    The rookie RJ waving off coach Miller's picknroll play with the clumsy Randle-Handle only proves the rookies decision-making at the time was better than (Miller/Randle) when the ball went thru the hoop.

RJ Barrett's rookie season all-around performance were not 65% as good/or equal to the 10 rookie class players competing to be in the NBA Top-5 best rookie performers for the ROY .. Ja Morant .. Zion .. Nunn .. Clarke .. Garland .. Herro .. Hachimura .. Hunter .. Porter .. Culver.
    However, a lot of the rookie RJ Barrett's inconsistent performance, and weak areas had a lot to do with the Knicks poor coaching-staff, and the Knicks poor game-plan.
    Hopefully, the real RJ Barrett performance will rise to the top in his 2nd or 3rd season in the league, by readjusting his rookie performance.

NY Post - M. Berman

Knicks mailbag: Point guard remains a pressing issue
    By Marc Berman

March 28, 2020 | 9:01am

You ask, we answer. The Post is fielding questions from readers about New York’s biggest pro sports teams and getting our beat writers to answer them in a series of regularly published mailbags. In today’s installment: the Knicks.

I’m curious to get your take on the insistence that the Knicks need a great point guard. If we look at all the teams who have won championships recently, point guard play has come from other positions (Draymond Green with the Warriors, LeBron with the Cavs). Shouldn’t the Knicks focus on drafting the best player available? — Kevin V.

The Knicks need a playmaker/3-point shooter from that position. It’s their No. 1 need. All the top teams have terrific point guards. Look at the Celtics after they added Kemba Walker. Assist machine LeBron James plays point guard, no matter what the Lakers designate him.

It would help RJ Barrett and Kevin Knox immensely. I’d like to see Knox play with a creative setup man. Former Knicks coach David Fizdale put it perfectly: Elfrid Payton, Frank Ntilikina and Dennis Smith Jr. have positive attributes, but all are mediocre 3-point shooters. Payton had some gems, especially defensively with his quick hands, but his inability to shoot the 3 (20.3 percent) is devastatingly bad. He’s a backup on a decent team.

The 2020 draft isn’t a good one, but there’s a plethora of interesting point guards in the lottery. LaMelo Ball, Tyrese Haliburton or Cole Anthony would look good in orange and blue. I also love Kentucky’s Tyrese Maxey as a scorer, though some scouts wonder if he’s a capable-enough playmaker as an NBA point guard.

LaMelo Ball
    LaMelo Ball
    Getty Images
    Considering the Knicks are not a good shooting team and the league has become a shooting-point-guard type of league, why does their best shooter and probably their best ball handler (Allonzo Trier) not play? Did prior management call the shots of him being ignored? — Todd

Trier falling off the map completely in November became one of the great surprises of the season. I reported after last season that Trier’s teammates didn’t enjoy playing with him because of his selfishness. Fast-forward to training camp in September: Fizdale said Trier’s goal in his second season was shedding his “IsoZo’’ nickname. And Fizdale shocked everyone by starting a Barrett-Trier backcourt on opening night in San Antonio.

Trier’s uncaring defense was an issue. The Knicks faced a shooting-guard glut — and Trier is undersized at that position. At some point, GM Scott Perry didn’t regard Trier as part of the future. It’s a stunning fall from grace, considering brass was thrilled last season about Trier’s rise from an undrafted rookie on a two-way contract to a two-year, $6.8 million deal.

Is Kevin Knox struggling because he was simply too young to be taken where he was in the draft or is he just not that good? At the very least, he looks too passive on the court to ever be an NBA star, and that is not an age thing. I’m reluctant to say this, but can the Knicks finally label him a bust and just move on? — Bobby B

No, I think there’s still something there – and it’s not because of Kentucky coach John Calipari’s rant this week. Knox seems to have a confidence issue more than anything after showing scoring electricity as a rookie. The signing of Marcus Morris may have backfired for the Knicks in the long run. It slammed Knox back to the bench – and he couldn’t find his mojo.

Submit questions on your favorite New York teams to be answered in an upcoming mailbag

Here’s a stat for you: Nearing the end of his sophomore campaign, Knox still is the 23rd-youngest player in the NBA. Knox has potential to be a solid 3-point shooter and slasher once he gets older, stronger and regains that bravado. He’ll never be a lockdown defender: He doesn’t have strong defensive instincts and his motor is an issue. But Knicks coaches thought he showed improvement on that end, and he started to block shots. He’s also close with Mitchell Robinson. The potential loss of the last 16 games hurts Knox more than any other Knick.

No Matter What the Outcome was... As a rookie you don't way off the play!! NEVER... you let the play fail and that is on the coach. You do what the play call for and nothing else. If was suppose to go to Randle... so be it. That should send a Very Strong Signal to all in this forum that there something seriously wrong. It not my dislike for RJ... It's basic fundamental BB, Period.

They force RJ into a situation that he was ill prepared for as a rookie. Let him earn his place in the rotation. F.O and coach gave him not a roll in the rotation but a starting position that he wasn't drafted for or earned.

Now the spin word is 'Spacing(3 put shooting PG)to open up the floor. Seriously!! That is what your SG is suppose to do!! This is the same problem before last year draft and F.A. That was suppose to solve by signing Ellington and Bullock. On top of that you draft RJ.

Now to take the PRESSURE off the SG(RJ) they now think that 3 pts shooting PG is the answer to the MANY PROBLEMS.

Trier was last 'Darling' and see what they did to him this year. You going to find out real quick what kind of President Rose is. He doesn't owe RJ anything. If does nothing with RJ... we are in for another 5 years of mediocrity. It will take that long to admit he was a mistake.

“I was surprised they ignored the kid Gilgeous-Alexander because I thought he was Kentucky’s best player with the biggest upside,’’ said one NBA college scout. “Knox doesn’t look like a very good player now — not a defender, not creative enough on offense and his feet are bad. Think about their backcourt. It could be Donovan Mitchell [passed over in 2017] and Alexander. The league knows what Kevin does and they have taken it away. He doesn’t look quick enough to get by guys. He isn’t tough enough to post up smaller guys and isn’t a playmaker for others.”

In defense of the Knicks, Gilgeous-Alexander declined to work out for any team except the Clippers. In addition, that draft the Knicks were all in on selecting a small forward to fill their greatest need.

Knicks brass is also encouraged because it considers Knox arguably the team’s hardest worker. Pre-shutdown, Knox would come to the Tarrytown campus at night to get extra shots up.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    “I was surprised they ignored the kid Gilgeous-Alexander because I thought he was Kentucky’s best player with the biggest upside,’’ said one NBA college scout. “Knox doesn’t look like a very good player now — not a defender, not creative enough on offense and his feet are bad. Think about their backcourt. It could be Donovan Mitchell [passed over in 2017] and Alexander. The league knows what Kevin does and they have taken it away. He doesn’t look quick enough to get by guys. He isn’t tough enough to post up smaller guys and isn’t a playmaker for others.”

In defense of the Knicks, Gilgeous-Alexander declined to work out for any team except the Clippers. In addition, that draft the Knicks were all in on selecting a small forward to fill their greatest need.

Knicks brass is also encouraged because it considers Knox arguably the team’s hardest worker. Pre-shutdown, Knox would come to the Tarrytown campus at night to get extra shots up.
    I said KK initially impressed me with his athleticism but after seeing him for a couple of seasons I rated him as so so now, average quickness and leaping ability and has regressed and not gotten better his sophomore year. Calipari and KKs dad better be right about the kid but he’s going to have to do it with his jump shot and not with superior athleticism.

12th man

Gilgeous-Alexander wanted no part of the Knicks organization poor-arse rookie program. As a guard Gilgeous-Alexander camp settled for an experience NBA head coach Doc Rivers Clippers to start his NBA growth. Very wise decision.

Keven Knox needed an experience NBA head-coach to set him up with a lot of catch n shoot plays inside of 20 ft of the perimeter to find his shot the past 2 season. Knox also need to work-hard on practicing his defensive moves in a defensive lineup having MitchRob Gibson Knox Dotson and Frank.

Very smart move indeed by SGA, and it’s becoming an annual thing. We make poor choices, while true talent avoids the org at every step.

12th man

Very smart move indeed by SGA, and it’s becoming an annual thing. We make poor choices, while true talent avoids the org at every step.
    That's why Rose is here, to attract talent which might be the only skill he brings to the table. People praise the guy but he really has no experience being a GM of a team just like PJ didn't and if you had asked me who I'd pick to be the President/GM of a team, a HOF coach with 11 titles or a successful sports agent, I'd go with PJ. Albeit, I wasn't for hiring PJ because of his lack of experience. Rose has only been here a short while and the NBA is shut down but the lack of any news coming from him is not a good sign to me.

SI.com

-In yesterday's roundup, we referenced The New York Post's Marc Berman's article about Maurice Harkless and how the Knicks could be interested in bringing the free agent back. SNY's Ian Begley confirmed this, as he wrote about other executives expecting New York to try and re-sign the St. John's alum. Harkless could be a nice fit around the young core of the Knicks—at the right price, of course.

-The Knicks made a successful move at the trade deadline, offloading (what became 12 games of) Marcus Morris for the aforementioned Harkless and a first round pick. However, the team was considering another deal with the Charlotte Hornets, according to Begley. Apparently, a deal at the deadline that had "internal support" had New York sending Julius Randle, Dennis Smith Jr., and a first round pick to Charlotte for Terry Rozier and Malik Monk.
    It's hard to understand what exactly the Knicks were thinking with this one. It'd be fair to consider Randle and Smith Jr. for Rozier and Monk as close to a wash, so that logic would mean the Knicks would be giving up a first round pick for essentially nothing. While Monk is better than Smith Jr., Rozier has been just as frustrating as Randle this season and has a longer contract. To give up a first round pick for a deal that does not move the needle and hurts the team long term would be a colossal mistake. To trade a pick just to get rid of their big free agent signing of Randle represents yet another instance where the Knicks have been willing to deem one of their decisions a failure shortly after making it. That's not to say they shouldn't move Randle, but to do this while burning a first round pick as a rebuilding team shows there isn't (or wasn't) a coherent plan with this franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    That's why Rose is here, to attract talent which might be the only skill he brings to the table. People praise the guy but he really has no experience being a GM of a team just like PJ didn't and if you had asked me who I'd pick to be the President/GM of a team, a HOF coach with 11 titles or a successful sports agent, I'd go with PJ. Albeit, I wasn't for hiring PJ because of his lack of experience. Rose has only been here a short while and the NBA is shut down but the lack of any news coming from him is not a good sign to me.
    Do you think hiring Phil was a mistake?? Most do. The way you stated it... it look like you have the same concerns(with Rose) but give Phil the edge because of his experience in winning 11 titles. I agree.

Phil did solve his biggest weakest as GM and that was to hire C. Gaines. Never putting together a team was something he knew nothing about talent wise.

Rose not firing Perry/C. Robinson and the scouts are not a good sign as you put it. Let watch and see if a BB person emerges before the draft and F.A. If we are to make the right decisions then this one factor must be done and done correctly.
    WHO DO YOU HIRE!!

12th man

Do you think hiring Phil was a mistake?? Most do. The way you stated it... it look like you have the same concerns(with Rose) but give Phil the edge because of his experience in winning 11 titles. I agree.

Phil did solve his biggest weakest as GM and that was to hire C. Gaines. Never putting together a team was something he knew nothing about talent wise.

Rose not firing Perry/C. Robinson and the scouts are not a good sign as you put it. Let watch and see if a BB person emerges before the draft and F.A. If we are to make the right decisions then this one factor must be done and done correctly.
    WHO DO YOU HIRE!!
    When PJ was hired it took him a month to fire Woody and his entire staff, Knicks are in dire need of a house cleaning and I somewhat expected Rose to come in with guns blazing. Looks like that's not his style and everything you read about the guy smacks of nice guy like Meyers in GS, kind of a disappointment to me that we got Likeable Leon when I was expecting Chainsaw Leon.