Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58
  1. #31
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,982
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Rose did something PHIL didn’t do.... get Mills out of the kitchen! In 2014, Gaines and Jax took CleAntthony Early over Nikola Jokic and Jordan Clarkson! Total failure. Not to mention Joe Harris went 1 pick ahead... Talent everywhere around that pick, and we grabbed a stiff.

  2. #32
    Member Dark Raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    485
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    First of all Mills got fired before Rose was hired. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    If Joe Harris was picked before Early how would we have gotten him? It wasn't liked he was drafted after Early. So I miss your point. As for Jokic this was the 2nd round and all 30 some team pass on him and Clark at least once. So are those team dumber than Phil and Gaines?

  3. #33
    12th man
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,348
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Awkward Leon Rose dynamic at center of Knicks’ Frank Ntilikina dilemma
    NY Post (Marc Berman) — The Knicks point guard Frank Ntilikina is in an awkward spot once again. The president who could decide his...
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/awkwar...ikina-dilemma/

    Ntilikina, who has survived three Knicks presidents and three Knicks head-coaches, in three Knicks seasons, may receive the KP treatment of being traded during the off-season to have a 50-50 chance in landing in a winning organization.

  4. #34
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,982
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    If the Knicks are smart... they should use next year as a year to truly evaluate their talent.

    Frank, DSJ, RJ, Knox, MRob, Randle. All 6 are under contract... if they are here come September... then this should be 6/10 rotation guys... and they should get serious burn.

    We also have 3 draft picks. I’d use back 2 to trade up... grab 2 guys in top 22? There’s also free agency to add to this stable (Joe Harris?).

    Keep Harkless, Bullock, Ellington as vey end-of-bench depth.

    Sink or swim kids. This way, wins won’t matter. Only development. If they can’t compete for the 8th seed... then we know what to do in 2021.

  5. #35
    Member Dark Raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    485
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Agree with trying to get 2 guys in top 22. This is a weak draft with only two players that I think we should go very hard after. Wiseman and Edward would solve(to me) a couple of problems. One is that Wiseman could be a transformative type player at the PF(7'1"). This solve last year problem and the need for a player of his caliber. We must keep Wiseman out of the Warriors hand. Edward would solve this year problem of needing a scorer(3 pt shooter) at the SG. Since Ellington, Bullock and RJ didn't solve that last season. Now the question is how to accomplish this feat of getting both? Let hope for the draft god to show us some mercy and luck up on the lst overall pick. Then you have to figure out how to get another pick within the top 3. For that to happen the Clippers 1st round and players would have to be offered. Definitely can't offer MRob so that leave only RJ. I don't think nobody would be interested in the 2nd rounder of this weak draft. Maybe someone with the #2 or #3 would be foolish enough to take that trade.

    Now if can pull that off then the team is headed into a very different direction. Just think with the addition of Wiseman and Edward to the roster. Maybe a starting lineup of:

    MRob… C
    Wiseman... PF
    Knox.... SF
    Edward or Dotson... SG
    Frank.... PG
    With Randle, Bobby P., Trier and hopefully the resigning of MM, Mudiay and Kornet. At this point you finish building on the(that word) Chemistry by bring back those from the 2018 roster.

    Now this isn't going to happen unless there is a Real BB person hired and Perry is fired. Perry must go if we are to move in the right direction.

  6. #36
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,982
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    I think we have to look at Wiseman... if he’s arguably best player in the draft.... we would be foolish to pass on him without doing our due diligence.

    We need a big to compliment MRob... Randle is more of a 6th man bench player type. Yes prefer Wiseman over paying big bucks for Drummond.

    I’m hopeful we pursue a trade for Lauri Markkanen, even if that means using our lottery pick. This guy and Joe Harris is just what we need... shooting!!!
    Last edited by mafra; Apr 06, 2020 at 01:24.

  7. #37
    Member Dark Raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    485
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    "Purse a trade of Lauri Markkanen", using our lottery pick. I for one wouldn't do it because I don't see a lot of different in him and Kornet(if he had some GOOD coaching- Big Man). Kornet had the best 3% on the team last season so why let him go. Saw him out on the 3 pt perimeter guarding and switching. Plus he was a good rim defender in college and the second best shooting big man in the country outside of Markkanen. Per C. Gaines. This is what happen with no real BB person in the organization.

    Question-- Harris will be turning 30 this year. Do we want a 30 year old shooting guard? If I'm bring in a vet. guard it D. Rose. For one reason, To teach my guards 'How to be MVP'!! His work ethics is what I want to rub off on them. Especially Frank!!

  8. #38
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,982
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    I doubt he‘ll leave Brooklyn, but I would definitely sign Joe Harris and trade for Marky... Knicks almost dead last in 3-point shooting, in an era where the sport is geared towards deep range bombing.

    Should we give Bullock and Ellington a mulligan? Expect that there stats will rise to their career norms? It’s all about cost, of course.

    But the best way to ensure Frank, MRob, and RJ develop next year is to surround them with 2 3-point snipers, IMHO.

    I didn’t mind Rose’s antics while he was here... with Mills gone and perhaps with Thibbs, we could entertain that idea. I think DSJ is trash and will be dealt and I don’t believe this young roster will
    Benefit from a teenage PG...

    Rose would be wise to latch on a winner and be a role guy.... if we sign him he doesn’t move the needle and make us a playoff team and he’ll be 32 when next season begins. This is a 2-3 year temp stopgap, and would represent repeating past mistakes...

    But, yeah... all options are open.

    Harris will be 29 in September and has shot over 40% from downtown last 3 seasons.

    I think Marky is a better fit with MRob than Randle, and I think he’s better than Kornet (but not as good as KP).

  9. #39
    12th man
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,348
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    I think we have to look at Wiseman... if he’s arguably best player in the draft.... we would be foolish to pass on him without doing our due diligence.

    We need a big to compliment MRob... Randle is more of a 6th man bench player type. Yes prefer Wiseman over paying big bucks for Drummond.

    I’m hopeful we pursue a trade for Lauri Markkanen, even if that means using our lottery pick. This guy and Joe Harris is just what we need... shooting!!!

    Last year, I didn't see the Knicks getting Zion, and I don't see the Knicks getting Wiseman, Edwards, or Lamelo in the upcoming draft.
    However, the Knicks do need a complimentary 2-Way BIG to fit in a lineup well with MitchRob's 2-Way performance. above.
    Sorry but Randle-Handle's best performance throughout the 2019-20 season has graded to be a decent bench player. Not a starter or finisher.
    I'm still wondering why Fizdale & Miller gave Randle the Green-Light to call shots on the the court, plus be the #1 option on offense.
    Or was that Mills/Perry idea ???

  10. #40
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,982
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    NY Post

    ESPN draft guru Fran Fraschilla has a message for the Knicks: Take the best player available with your lottery pick and save the late first-rounder for a point guard.

    The former St. John’s coach believes there are flaws in each of the projected top-10 picks in this year’s draft, including the trove of point guards led by LaMelo Ball and Cole Anthony.

    With no sure floor general, Fraschilla prefers the Knicks go with a point guard at No. 27 and touts Alabama sophomore Kira Lewis Jr. as being their smart choice.

    “Here’s what I would tell the Knicks: I think it’s a bad year to target one position,’’ Fraschilla, who also coached at Manhattan and New Mexico, told The Post.

    “If I’m the Knicks and I’m picking sixth, I’m absolutely taking the best player available — regardless of position. If you reach to take a point guard you’re unsure of, you’re better off zeroing on whoever is the best player left on the board.’’


    A scoring point guard is the Knicks’ top need. Fraschilla believes the speed demon Lewis, 19, is attractive late in the first round. The Knicks obtained the Clippers’ No. 1 pick in the Marcus Morris deal on Feb. 6. If the regular season never restarts because of the global pandemic, the Clippers would select 27th.

    “He’s still one of the youngest kids in the draft,’’ Fraschilla said of Lewis. “He’s arguably the fastest player in this draft. The crazy thing is he has played two full seasons in the SEC and doesn’t turn 20 until next April.

    “If you want a sleeper, if they take (forwards Obi) Toppin or James Wiseman in the lottery and are looking to take a point guard, the first guy I’d look at is Lewis. He’s Ja Morant Lite and he started his career in the SEC as a 17-year-old.”

    Known more as a penetrator, Lewis averaged 18.5 points, 5.2 assists and 4.8 rebounds in his second season. He shot 45.9 percent and 36.6 percent from 3. Without the expected pre-draft workouts, Lewis probably won’t be able to climb up draft boards.

    The mock drafts are stuck on Ball, Anthony, Tyrese Haliburton and Killian Hayes atop the board at point guard. The draft is scheduled for June 25, but that could change. The lottery is slated for May 14, another event that is up in the air.

    “There’s not a great consensus on who the No. 1 pick is or who the best point guard is, even though LaMelo has the most buzz,” Fraschilla said.

    The super-athletic Anthony Edwards is hyped as the top pick, but the Georgia shooting guard has plenty of question marks, including a wayward perimeter jump shot. Edwards shot 22 percent from 3-point range in his final 10 games for the bottom-dwelling Bulldogs.

    “He’s boom or bust,’’ Fraschilla said. “He’s either Bradley Beal or Dion Waiters. If somebody has him figured out in the league, they’re lying. NBA GMs, scouts feel just like I do.

    “This is a draft of high-risk, high-reward guys in the first 10 picks,” Fraschilla said. “There is no consensus guy that anybody can safely say he will be an NBA star.”

    Besides the baggage Ball brings with LaVar, his loudmouthed father, LaMelo didn’t wow Fraschilla during a short pro stint in Australia. But Fraschilla thinks Ball, 18, might be the first point guard taken.

    “In terms of his talent and incredible passing ability, it has to be LaMelo,’’ Fraschilla said. “But there are major red flags about his on-court ability. His shooting is broken. I always laugh when someone says, ‘Well, he’ll get better as a shooter.’ There are some shots that don’t get better: [Rajon] Rondo, [Elfrid] Payton. His effort level defensively, I hope when he gets to the league, he figures out he’ll have to defend and play both ends. I don’t think he has an idea on how to play hard on that end yet.”

    As for other point-guard prospects, Fraschilla likes Anthony’s “shot creation,’’ but the 19-year-old North Carolina freshman is low-efficiency and doesn’t make teammates better.

    Iowa State’s Haliburton, 20, doesn’t have enough “dynamic explosion’’ to get to the basket, making him a better 2-guard, according to Fraschilla. And Hayes, an 18-year-old who played professionally in Germany, is a project who may not make an impact until he’s 22.

    “In this draft, you’re going to have to roll the dice with these top-10 picks and take a guy who has some flaws,’’ Fraschilla said.



    https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/nba-dr...f-first-round/
    Last edited by mafra; Apr 06, 2020 at 23:08.

  11. #41
    12th man
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11,920
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    NY Post

    ESPN draft guru Fran Fraschilla has a message for the Knicks: Take the best player available with your lottery pick and save the late first-rounder for a point guard.

    The former St. John’s coach believes there are flaws in each of the projected top-10 picks in this year’s draft, including the trove of point guards led by LaMelo Ball and Cole Anthony.

    With no sure floor general, Fraschilla prefers the Knicks go with a point guard at No. 27 and touts Alabama sophomore Kira Lewis Jr. as being their smart choice.

    “Here’s what I would tell the Knicks: I think it’s a bad year to target one position,’’ Fraschilla, who also coached at Manhattan and New Mexico, told The Post.

    “If I’m the Knicks and I’m picking sixth, I’m absolutely taking the best player available — regardless of position. If you reach to take a point guard you’re unsure of, you’re better off zeroing on whoever is the best player left on the board.’’


    A scoring point guard is the Knicks’ top need. Fraschilla believes the speed demon Lewis, 19, is attractive late in the first round. The Knicks obtained the Clippers’ No. 1 pick in the Marcus Morris deal on Feb. 6. If the regular season never restarts because of the global pandemic, the Clippers would select 27th.

    “He’s still one of the youngest kids in the draft,’’ Fraschilla said of Lewis. “He’s arguably the fastest player in this draft. The crazy thing is he has played two full seasons in the SEC and doesn’t turn 20 until next April.

    “If you want a sleeper, if they take (forwards Obi) Toppin or James Wiseman in the lottery and are looking to take a point guard, the first guy I’d look at is Lewis. He’s Ja Morant Lite and he started his career in the SEC as a 17-year-old.”

    Known more as a penetrator, Lewis averaged 18.5 points, 5.2 assists and 4.8 rebounds in his second season. He shot 45.9 percent and 36.6 percent from 3. Without the expected pre-draft workouts, Lewis probably won’t be able to climb up draft boards.

    The mock drafts are stuck on Ball, Anthony, Tyrese Haliburton and Killian Hayes atop the board at point guard. The draft is scheduled for June 25, but that could change. The lottery is slated for May 14, another event that is up in the air.

    “There’s not a great consensus on who the No. 1 pick is or who the best point guard is, even though LaMelo has the most buzz,” Fraschilla said.

    The super-athletic Anthony Edwards is hyped as the top pick, but the Georgia shooting guard has plenty of question marks, including a wayward perimeter jump shot. Edwards shot 22 percent from 3-point range in his final 10 games for the bottom-dwelling Bulldogs.

    “He’s boom or bust,’’ Fraschilla said. “He’s either Bradley Beal or Dion Waiters. If somebody has him figured out in the league, they’re lying. NBA GMs, scouts feel just like I do.

    “This is a draft of high-risk, high-reward guys in the first 10 picks,” Fraschilla said. “There is no consensus guy that anybody can safely say he will be an NBA star.”

    Besides the baggage Ball brings with LaVar, his loudmouthed father, LaMelo didn’t wow Fraschilla during a short pro stint in Australia. But Fraschilla thinks Ball, 18, might be the first point guard taken.

    “In terms of his talent and incredible passing ability, it has to be LaMelo,’’ Fraschilla said. “But there are major red flags about his on-court ability. His shooting is broken. I always laugh when someone says, ‘Well, he’ll get better as a shooter.’ There are some shots that don’t get better: [Rajon] Rondo, [Elfrid] Payton. His effort level defensively, I hope when he gets to the league, he figures out he’ll have to defend and play both ends. I don’t think he has an idea on how to play hard on that end yet.”

    As for other point-guard prospects, Fraschilla likes Anthony’s “shot creation,’’ but the 19-year-old North Carolina freshman is low-efficiency and doesn’t make teammates better.

    Iowa State’s Haliburton, 20, doesn’t have enough “dynamic explosion’’ to get to the basket, making him a better 2-guard, according to Fraschilla. And Hayes, an 18-year-old who played professionally in Germany, is a project who may not make an impact until he’s 22.

    “In this draft, you’re going to have to roll the dice with these top-10 picks and take a guy who has some flaws,’’ Fraschilla said.



    https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/nba-dr...f-first-round/
    Mentioned I liked Kira Lewis as our late first pick we got from the Clips. He's a little bit like Nits, needs to develop physically but unlike Nits he's super fast and is dynamite driving to the basket. Fraschilla called him Ja Lite, I wouldn't go that far, he doesn't have anywhere near the hops Ja has but unlike Nits you're not going to have to wait a year before you see him dunk the ball or make a breakaway dunk off a steal. We're going to have to get lucky to get him at 27 though, I doubt he makes it to 27, he's more likely to rise than fall in the draft.

    I still like LaMelo, Lavar being Lonzo's dad hasn't hurt him. LaMelo is supposed to be better and I'm looking at Lonzo as the model for LaMelo, if there was ever a guy whose shot was broken it was Lonzo but he's completely remade his shot unlike guys like Shawn Marion and Kevin Martin that played their whole careers with ugly shooting form. LaMelo's shot is nowhere as ugly as Lonzo but he's the same elite passer that his brother is and his size is going to make him an outstanding defender at his position at some point just like Simmons is for the Sixers.
    Last edited by tiger0330; Apr 07, 2020 at 06:38.

  12. #42
    Member Dark Raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    485
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    I doubt he‘ll leave Brooklyn, but I would definitely sign Joe Harris and trade for Marky... Knicks almost dead last in 3-point shooting, in an era where the sport is geared towards deep range bombing.

    Should we give Bullock and Ellington a mulligan? Expect that there stats will rise to their career norms? It’s all about cost, of course.

    But the best way to ensure Frank, MRob, and RJ develop next year is to surround them with 2 3-point snipers, IMHO.

    I didn’t mind Rose’s antics while he was here... with Mills gone and perhaps with Thibbs, we could entertain that idea. I think DSJ is trash and will be dealt and I don’t believe this young roster will
    Benefit from a teenage PG...

    Rose would be wise to latch on a winner and be a role guy.... if we sign him he doesn’t move the needle and make us a playoff team and he’ll be 32 when next season begins. This is a 2-3 year temp stopgap, and would represent repeating past mistakes...

    But, yeah... all options are open.

    Harris will be 29 in September and has shot over 40% from downtown last 3 seasons.

    I think Marky is a better fit with MRob than Randle, and I think he’s better than Kornet (but not as good as KP).
    CORRECT... D. Rose may not move the needle but that not what I was thinking. However in the last couple he has shown to a good player. That isn't the reason to sign him. Again, let him teach our guard "How to be MVP". Especially Frank!

    Agree with "
    Marky is a better fit with MRob than Randle, and I think he’s better than Kornet (but not as good as KP)."

    You are right about Harris age 29 not 30.

  13. #43
    12th man
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,348
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    Mentioned I liked Kira Lewis as our late first pick we got from the Clips. He's a little bit like Nits, needs to develop physically but unlike Nits he's super fast and is dynamite driving to the basket. Fraschilla called him Ja Lite, I wouldn't go that far, he doesn't have anywhere near the hops Ja has but unlike Nits you're not going to have to wait a year before you see him dunk the ball or make a breakaway dunk off a steal. We're going to have to get lucky to get him at 27 though, I doubt he makes it to 27, he's more likely to rise than fall in the draft.

    I still like LaMelo, Lavar being Lonzo's dad hasn't hurt him. LaMelo is supposed to be better and I'm looking at Lonzo as the model for LaMelo, if there was ever a guy whose shot was broken it was Lonzo but he's completely remade his shot unlike guys like Shawn Marion and Kevin Martin that played their whole careers with ugly shooting form. LaMelo's shot is nowhere as ugly as Lonzo but he's the same elite passer that his brother is and his size is going to make him an outstanding defender at his position at some point just like Simmons is for the Sixers.

    I have to agree 100% with Fraschilla .. the only way the Knicks should make a PG their first selection in the 2020 draft are if the Knicks make a whopping trade for an experience leadership PG in Chris Paul, or Lillard, or Conley on draft night.
    Other than that .. give Frank Nitty the 30+ minute starter/finisher job next season, and select the best available player at the 6th pick in this draft. The Knicks roster has so many holes in so many positions from being coached how to play "individual-ISO" b.ball for so long by several bum head coaches whom let non-chemistry Stat-players call the shots on court.

    Wsup Dark .... D.Rose is not a complimentary-teammate, nor has Rose ever showed chemistry in his performance with teammates.
    D.Rose won the MVP on the strength of ex-Knicks Kurt Thomas putting a strong discipline in the Bulls lockerroom that season.
    Having Noah, Boozer, and Deng following in veteran Kurt Thomas discipline foot-steps gave the Bulls a 62 win season, and a MVP for Rose.
    When the Bulls did not resign Kurt Thomas the next season the Bulls offense/defense went down hill.
    Cousin to the Knicks, are the same as Cousin's going back to the Sacramento Kings .. LOSER organization!
    Why would Cousins take 10 steps backwards and sign with a mismanagement Knicks team?
    Cousin's injury stopped him from being in a lineup alongside AD & Rondo again, plus having King James too.
    If Cousin doesn't sign with the Lakers, I'm sure the GS Warriors having a healthy Curry/Klay/Green might have a extra $15M to sign Cousin again.

  14. #44
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,982
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Raider View Post
    CORRECT... D. Rose may not move the needle but that not what I was thinking. However in the last couple he has shown to a good player. That isn't the reason to sign him. Again, let him teach our guard "How to be MVP". Especially Frank!

    Agree with "
    Marky is a better fit with MRob than Randle, and I think he’s better than Kornet (but not as good as KP)."

    You are right about Harris age 29 not 30.
    I’m all for Rose. Much better than EP

  15. #45
    12th man
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,348
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    I’m all for Rose. Much better than EP
    Rose career 45% FG average is the only thing decent bout his performance, his game assist are up & down, and Rose poor effort on defense has been a career weakness.

    Elfrid Payton previous 3 NBA teams (Magic, Suns, Pelicans) proved EP are a decent backup PG to bring off the bench to provide energy to a 2nd unit lineup .. Payton/Dotson/Knox/Portis/MitchRob.
    Coach Fiz & Miller's number 1 job should've been mentoring several-plays into young-core Frank & DSJ as the Knicks starter PG throughout the 2019-20 season. I will admit, the Knicks having the best Defense PG & Offense PG out of the same draft-class had me looking forward to seeing both Frank & DSJ tandem in the same lineup throughout the 2019-20 season, which never happen.
    Do to all the Knicks coaches playing-time favoritism going to rookie RJ Barrett, whom didn't fare well as a SG, or SF in the Knicks 66 games.

    Whomever, idea it was to give players (Randle & Barrett) 30 plus minute a game throughout the 2019-20 pre-season and regular season games, are the one's u blame for a 21-45 record .. the two players are not a team crunch-time closer. Randle & Barrett's skills, and B.ball IQ talent are only worthy of 20 to 24 minute per game, until they add more concept in their offense/defense performance.

Similar Threads

  1. Veterans and young players you want?
    By RunningJumper in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Nov 16, 2013, 13:43
  2. Using season to have fun and improve young players
    By Aristoteles in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 07, 2010, 20:03
  3. Young-Players STAY
    By Kiyaman in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 01, 2007, 17:16
  4. A LIST OF THE LEAGUES' GIFTED YOUNG PLAYERS
    By donchris in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Jun 23, 2006, 07:19
  5. Random Knick thoughts thus far...
    By Starks in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov 18, 2005, 17:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •