2020 NBA Draft: NYK target a PG

Kiyaman

Legend
If we move up to a top 4 pick, Wiseman definitely has to be a major target. Odds are that instead we are picking 7th or 8th and Wiseman is already off the board.

No ifs .... The Knicks (Rose) has to prove he is the MAN for the job, especially on draft night by moving-up in the draft to select Wiseman .. And sign two veteran head-coaches before the draft (Mark Jackson or Kidd), plus sign a confident G.M..
Knicks fans does not deserve a bench-player performance Randle to be in the starter & finisher line-up. The Knicks previous trio of Mills & Perry & Fizdale were a pure NBA JOKE .. Randle's a reserve !!!

NickThick

Rookie
Is Melo just kryptonite right now?

I still think someone is going to benefit from that chino hills pace that he could bring despite the shaky shooting that normally doesnt bode well for PGs.

NickThick

Rookie
This draft could be massive. Look what happened to Doncic with the Mavs. (forget KP!)

He took them from lottery to playoffs with comps to Lebron, and not many saw that coming!

With their efficiency in this broken season they have a chance against everyone apart from the Clippers and the Lakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
This draft is very important because of the mistake made in last year draft. Wiseman and Edwards must be our picks some way... Somehow!!

Let's rid ourselves of the mistakes of year draft. You will come to know just how smart and knowledgeable L. Rose and Co. are in the coming months. They have already shown a lack of knowledge by waiving Trier. I for one don't have my hope up for them doing the right things(Wiseman & Edwards). I'm going to reserve judgement on Thib hiring for now. I want Woodson but who in the hell cares what I want. Lets hope for the best of all the moves and draft picks. If what I see is correct then looks marginal success for the next 3-5 years. I hope I'm wrong!!!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think Edwards and Wiseman are probably the best talents in the draft but that's a moot point if they're not there for us to select.

What do you all think about Devin Vassell? I know he's not a PG but he can play defense and shoot. We don't have any shooters on this team and we desperately need one. I'd rather take the best available player than focus on a PG and end up taking a guy who isn't anything special. We're not winning this coming season anyways PG or not

Let's all pray for a 1-3 pick. If that is the case then we can likely get Edwards or Wiseman. Then trade RJ and the #25 pick for who is in position to pick either Wiseman or Edwards. This would make us a very good team in a couple of years with the creation of chemistry on the team. Edwards would give you the scoring we need at the SG and Wiseman would be the PF we sorely need to replace once KP was traded. Now you have this lineup:
MRob-- C
Wiseman-- PF
Knox-- SF
Edwards or Dotson -- SG
Frank-- PG

tiger0330

Legend
Let's all pray for a 1-3 pick. If that is the case then we can likely get Edwards or Wiseman. Then trade RJ and the #25 pick for who is in position to pick either Wiseman or Edwards. This would make us a very good team in a couple of years with the creation of chemistry on the team. Edwards would give you the scoring we need at the SG and Wiseman would be the PF we sorely need to replace once KP was traded. Now you have this lineup:
MRob-- C
Wiseman-- PF
Knox-- SF
Edwards or Dotson -- SG
Frank-- PG

Dark that roster is way too young, Thibs will play those vet Mills brought in before playing those guys. We need a PG, I was listening to Brian Scalabrine who looks to be replacing Tommy Heinsohn as the Celts announcer and he was saying he was never a Chris Paul fan but he became one this season after seeing what he did with the Thunder roster, being the floor general, getting them organized and improving the team.

Not saying we should look to trade for CP3 unless we can get a ton of draft assets in a trade but we need a better Elfrid Payton.

Last edited:
Dark that roster is way too young, Thibs will play those vet Mills brought in before playing those guys. We need a PG, I was listening to Brian Scalabrine who looks to be replacing Tommy Heinsohn as the Celts announcer and he was saying he was never a Chris Paul fan but he became one this season after seeing what he did with the Thunder roster, being the floor general, getting them organized and improving the team.

Not saying we should look to trade for CP3 unless we can get a ton of draft assets in a trade but we need a better Elfrid Payton.

Tiger, Thibs shouldn't be coaching to his philosophy but to the talent on the team and what is drafted. BTW, first we don't need PG and that only comes from people that know a damn thing about BB. Now unless you got a KP replacement somewhere that only you know about then our top priority is PF.
Got a question for you about the job CP3 has done with N.O., Clippers and now Thunder. How many championships did they win? I like CP3 but the likely hood of finding him in this draft is remote. And the answer to that question is 'NO' championships no matter how much they improve. Improvement and no championship isn't worth anything to me.
Frank is our PG and if Thibs don't go out and sign D. Rose then Frank is going to have to find his way to become a better player. Just like he has done over the last 3 years. It would be shorten if we sign Rose.

That is what we want is a young team that can grow and build 'Chemistry'. The team I mention if left along with good position coaches can become a championship ball club. Thibs old way of coaching is what is troubling about hiring him. That is why Woodson would have been the better choice and a player developer.

tiger0330

Legend
Celts have this kid Carsen Edwards who is 5'11" that can jump out of the gym and was 8 -16 for 19 pts against the Rox in a scrimmage game, maybe that kid Harper can break into the rotation.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Edwards was slick at school. I?m thinking Purdue? They went to Regionals or something. I felt he was a guy we would target with our second pick. Not Izzy.

Yep. It was Purdue...

March 23, during the NCAA Tournament, Edwards scored a career-high 42 points on just 21 shots in a blowout 87?61 win over the defending champions, #6 ranked Villanova. Against Tennessee, Edwards scored 29 points in a Sweet Sixteen win. In the Elite Eight, Edwards dazzled in the national spotlight against Virginia. He made 10 of his 19 three-point attempts, just one shy of the NCAA tournament record, and set a school record. In doing so, Edwards broke his previous record set just the last week with 9 three-pointers against Villanova in the 87?61 round of 32 win, and in making those nine he broke his previous record of 8 against Penn State. He ended up scoring 42 points, his second career high in the last three games, but only scored two in the extra period as Virginia prevailed in overtime. At the end of Purdue's run, he was named the Most Outstanding Player in the South region.[15]

Edwards broke many records in the 2019 NCAA tournament. He broke the single-tournament 3-point record with 28. However, the previous record holder had played in all six games to Edwards' four. He is also all-time 3rd place in most 25-point games in a row in the NCAA tournament, tying current NBA player Stephen Curry with 5

tiger0330

Legend
Edwards was slick at school. I’m thinking Purdue? They went to Regionals or something. I felt he was a guy we would target with our second pick. Not Izzy.

Yep. It was Purdue...

March 23, during the NCAA Tournament, Edwards scored a career-high 42 points on just 21 shots in a blowout 87–61 win over the defending champions, #6 ranked Villanova. Against Tennessee, Edwards scored 29 points in a Sweet Sixteen win. In the Elite Eight, Edwards dazzled in the national spotlight against Virginia. He made 10 of his 19 three-point attempts, just one shy of the NCAA tournament record, and set a school record. In doing so, Edwards broke his previous record set just the last week with 9 three-pointers against Villanova in the 87–61 round of 32 win, and in making those nine he broke his previous record of 8 against Penn State. He ended up scoring 42 points, his second career high in the last three games, but only scored two in the extra period as Virginia prevailed in overtime. At the end of Purdue's run, he was named the Most Outstanding Player in the South region.[15]

Edwards broke many records in the 2019 NCAA tournament. He broke the single-tournament 3-point record with 28. However, the previous record holder had played in all six games to Edwards' four. He is also all-time 3rd place in most 25-point games in a row in the NCAA tournament, tying current NBA player Stephen Curry with 5
Impressive college career and if he was 6’3” would have been a lottery pick, he was projected to go in the first round but fell slightly and was picked 33rd in the 2019 draft. He’s the same height as Harper but is more solidly built at 200 pounds than the 175 lb. Harper, which will give him an edge on defense. Dude got up way higher than the Houston All Stars Harden and Westbrook on his sick dunk for a guy short of 6 ft.

Celts are going to develop him so he’ll probably be there for the 4 yrs of his rookie contract backing up Kemba.

I hope these new guys Rose has brought in can bring in guys like Edwards, under the radar value picks with potential.

Last edited:
I don't see us doing anything exciting with the draft. This could be the last draft of any meaning with the High Schooler coming in next year. And this is a weak draft. If we don't get the two most intriguing players(Edwards and Wiseman) then look for us to be back in this same situation in two years. A New coach and a lottery pick.

Rose should have given the head coaching job to Payne. Maybe he could have begun some pop to the offense.

Just read online that 2020 draft pick from Clippers received in Marcus Morris trade will be the 27th pick.

Pascal Siakam was a 27th pick for the Raptors In 2016. Can certainly strike gold in the late 1st round.

mafra

Legend
NY Post

From the sound of it, Payne, John Calipari?s longtime Kentucky assistant, wouldn?t mind taking on a third Kentucky scorer, one who he just coached last season in Lexington.

In an interview conducted with The Post on July 13, before he became a Knicks coaching candidate, Payne raved about lottery prospect Tyrese Maxey, the 6-foot-3 electric freshman combo guard.

Most mock drafts have Maxey as a late lottery pick, but if the Knicks stay within the 6-10 range, Payne believes Maxey will be a good value pick the way the NBA is trending with positionless basketball.

?I think he?d be a good fit for any team,? Payne told The Post last month. ?In the next couple of years, he?s going to be one of those guys you look back on and people say: ?Wow, I knew he was good, I didn?t know he was that good.? When you?re drafting a kid this young, you?re looking at if he can help now, but you?re also projecting where he?ll be a year or two year from now.?

Maxey scored 26 points in his Kentucky debut ? at the Garden against Michigan State. The knock on the Garland, Texas, product is he?s not a true point guard and started the season lax on defense.

?The NBA is going to guards being versatile,? Payne said. ?And he can really score and do it running off screens or throwing it back to him when the defense lags and allows him to be in scoring position. But you also can put him in position for him to be a lead guard. It?s the ability to do both ? play off the ball and on the ball that is vital in today?s NBA.?

Maxey doesn?t have blinding numbers, but Payne feels he missed out on a big chance to lift his stock when the SEC and NCAA tournaments were scrapped.

?I just think he loves to play,? Payne said.

More

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...gs-unique-tyrese-maxey-nba-draft-insight/amp/

tiger0330

Legend
NY Post

From the sound of it, Payne, John Calipari?s longtime Kentucky assistant, wouldn?t mind taking on a third Kentucky scorer, one who he just coached last season in Lexington.

In an interview conducted with The Post on July 13, before he became a Knicks coaching candidate, Payne raved about lottery prospect Tyrese Maxey, the 6-foot-3 electric freshman combo guard.

Most mock drafts have Maxey as a late lottery pick, but if the Knicks stay within the 6-10 range, Payne believes Maxey will be a good value pick the way the NBA is trending with positionless basketball.

?I think he?d be a good fit for any team,? Payne told The Post last month. ?In the next couple of years, he?s going to be one of those guys you look back on and people say: ?Wow, I knew he was good, I didn?t know he was that good.? When you?re drafting a kid this young, you?re looking at if he can help now, but you?re also projecting where he?ll be a year or two year from now.?

Maxey scored 26 points in his Kentucky debut ? at the Garden against Michigan State. The knock on the Garland, Texas, product is he?s not a true point guard and started the season lax on defense.

?The NBA is going to guards being versatile,? Payne said. ?And he can really score and do it running off screens or throwing it back to him when the defense lags and allows him to be in scoring position. But you also can put him in position for him to be a lead guard. It?s the ability to do both ? play off the ball and on the ball that is vital in today?s NBA.?

Maxey doesn?t have blinding numbers, but Payne feels he missed out on a big chance to lift his stock when the SEC and NCAA tournaments were scrapped.

?I just think he loves to play,? Payne said.

More

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...gs-unique-tyrese-maxey-nba-draft-insight/amp/

I hope Kenny is a better coach than scout. Taking a guy that's a late lottery at 6-9 doesn't sound like a value pick to me. I do agree about versatile guards, Lavert of the Nets is an example running the point playing out position without Kyrie and Dinwiddie and doing a hell of a job but Maxey is no Lavert. I have to disagree with Payne on Maxey, around 13 is where he should be picked and I doubt we look back and say I didn't know he was that good.

mafra

Legend
I hope Kenny is a better coach than scout. Taking a guy that's a late lottery at 6-9 doesn't sound like a value pick to me. I do agree about versatile guards, Lavert of the Nets is an example running the point playing out position without Kyrie and Dinwiddie and doing a hell of a job but Maxey is no Lavert. I have to disagree with Payne on Maxey, around 13 is where he should be picked and I doubt we look back and say I didn't know he was that good.

Not comparing the two players or situations.... but this was the sort of mentality we heard when it came to DSJ, Monk, Mitchell.

Is there that much of a marked, quantifiabl difference ZW between Maxey, Anthony, Hayes, etc?

Would be funny to have so many Kentucky players.

tiger0330

Legend
Not comparing the two players or situations.... but this was the sort of mentality we heard when it came to DSJ, Monk, Mitchell.

Is there that much of a marked, quantifiabl difference ZW between Maxey, Anthony, Hayes, etc?

Would be funny to have so many Kentucky players.
Yeah, the Kentucky guys stick together leading me to think Kenny is biased when it comes to Maxey.