2020 NBA Draft: NYK target a PG

Kiyaman

Legend
Makes you wonder how highly GSW thinks of Knits or how down they are in Edwards-Wiseman-Ball....

Bc... there’s a chance GSW does 2nd pick for Knits and the 8th...

Prospects in the 4-8 range all the same tier type... so, if they don’t want a top 3 and like Knits.... it’s possible they swing the pick our way.

Knicks would be foolish to sacrifice much and gamble on Ball. For Knits or Knox... maybe, but that’s the extent of it

That last throw in pick for Melo turned out to be Jamal Murray! Be careful.

GSW would actually do the trade for Frank and the 8th pick ....
The GSW adding Frank & Wiggins in the rotation to backup Curry & Klay, it would be like having a young Livingston & Iggy in their 2020 season rotation.

mafra

Legend
Amen! I like the block of available players at 8. It?s a real test for the new regime, bc if these cats are as good as the article we read praise them to be... they should be able to identify, draft, and develop a real talent at 8.

And, if they are as savvy as we need them to be... they flip the next 2 picks and either Knits or DSJ or Randle or whoever else they don?t see as a fit here... they flip that for another major asset (lottery pick or established player).

That what RJ is now a role player drafted at #3. Can win any positions being starting or bench. F.O. had to give him a spot to justify there mistake in drafting him.

At this point and time Wiseman is worth more than RJ and that is base on his potential. You and other talk about RJ potential....Will you see the results and as you say "even if only a role player". Who knows what Wiseman will be... Correct. But we know what RJ is and it none of the things F.O. and people like yourself proclaim.

I never said a thing about Ball. And if you think RJ will have a better career than Edwards... it that kind of thinking is the reason RJ is on this team to begin with. There is nothing electric about RJ but Edwards on the other hand explores going to the basket. Had a little B. King in him.

mafra

Legend
RJ not explosive... He?s a bull, and like what you see with Harden, Melo, LJ, Kawhi.... I?ll take a STRONG man, who moves a body with his will, and be cool. Speed, hoops, and athleticism are key skills in NBA, but so is strength.

RJ has no spacing, so he was limited. Get him a PG and a shooter and RJ is a winning player.

Wiseman?

Please...

He last played 2 years ago, against HS kids. Potential? Why... Can he shoot?

mafra

Legend
Frankie looks jacked! 22 now, about to enter his prime. Gonna be interesting to see if Thibbs sees something here or if they trade him.

@TommyBeer
Marcus Smart over his first two NBA seasons:
FG percentage: 35.7%
3-point percentage: 29.6%
FT percentage: 72.0%
Assists per game: 3.1

Frank Ntilikina over his first two NBA seasons:
FG percentage: 35.4%
3-point percentage: 30.5%
FT percentage: 73.5%
Assists per game: 3.1

Tommy Beer
@TommyBeer
Over his first four NBA seasons, Marcus Smart shot 29% from downtown and 75% from the FT line.

Over the past two season, he?s shot 36% from downtown and 82% from the FT line

??
Smart is 26 now, and is a rotation piece on a Conf Finals type team...

Are we willing to roll up our sleeves, dedicate another 2 seasons developing Frankie, under real coaching, buoyed by reason and stability? I bet by 26, Frank is a solid player. The kid works, he cares, now he just needs to stay healthy and get consistent minutes, in a set role.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Looks like the Israeli kid has raised his stock, with his play this summer. Add the Donic effect, and now he?s expected to go top 5.

? I had Deni Avdija at No. 9 in the spring, but there's no chance he's slipping that far this fall. Up to No. 5 he goes, as Avdija's performance over the summer with Maccabi Tel Aviv helped his stock more than any other prospect in this draft. If you watched his tape at all, you often saw a player who clearly looked like the best guy on the floor every minute he was on the floor, which is not something you can say about all other top-10 prospects. Avdija's an interesting prospect because he's capable of playing anything from point guard to power forward, though he'll clearly best fit in as a 3/4 hybrid. Avdija has wonderful playmaking capability and would be a great No. 3 option in a best-case scenario. His shooting leaves some concerns, but physically he's ready for the NBA now.?

CBS

mafra

Legend
I?m on record, with the player I want:

If there's one player who's a top-10 lock but not a top-five lock who can be an 11th-hour riser into that top five, I think it's Isaac Okoro. General managers will surely be taken with his IQ. Okoro's a wonderful defensive player, someone who Bruce Pearl lovingly referred to as the only senior he's ever had as a freshman. He makes for an ideal NBA wing, thanks to his measurements, athleticism, defensive acumen and vast potential given his age. He's no 3-and-D guy yet; Okoro made 28.6% of his triples last season. He's not a super-familiar name, given he missed a few games to injury and was not a superstar freshman, but he's been on general managers' radar since early December and is under no threat of dropping to the bottom of the lottery. His ceiling is probably No. 4 in this draft, but we'll slide him in at No. 8 and split the difference.

?-

Give Thibbs Frankie, this kid, and MItch... let him develop Knox and RJ to complies each other offensively... and we?ll be in a sweet position come 2022 Summer...

Narrative really turning against Cole Anthony. Reports today saying Knicks won?t take him even if they trade down in the 1st round.

mafra

Legend
Narrative really turning against Cole Anthony. Reports today saying Knicks won?t take him even if they trade down in the 1st round.

Can?t blame them, based on what he put on tape... NYK can?t afford another project, or roll the dice on another first rounder. They need a solid double and single at 8/27, to ensure the rebuild stays on track....

Vassell or Okoro and then top PG at 27 works for me, or vice verse... we need everything, so BPA is smart.

I will be livid if we flip Randle, Knox and a first for CP3, PG13, or VO.... No way!!!!

Now, if they pry away an Embiid or KAT somehow, or another legit Star, then we can talk about a CP or VO deal...

Otherwise, sign Woods and FVF and a shooter (Nets sniper works for me), add those 3 to this roster and the rebuild is well on its way.

tiger0330

Legend
Narrative really turning against Cole Anthony. Reports today saying Knicks won’t take him even if they trade down in the 1st round.
Doesn’t surprise me. This is what I said about him earlier in the thread along with some other meh posts I made about him.

LaMelo goes to MN. Lavar is going to go full out for the Knicks to trade up for him. Wiseman to the Warriors. I'm hoping Hayes, Halliburton are there at eight, I'd pick Vassell before Cole Anthony even if we need a PG.

mafra

Legend
According to two league sources, the Knicks are seriously mulling trading back in the Nov. 18 draft unless big man James Wiseman or point guard LaMelo Ball fall back to the eighth spot.

With MRob skipping practices.. makes you wonder if they trade up for Wiseman and Ball....

Use MRob in 1 trade and something else in another. Would be unprecedented but somebody here already banged the table for this move...

I?m on board, as long as we make sensible trades.

For example, expand deal with 3 teams (say GSW and ORL), shipping out DSJ and either Knox or Knits.... plus pick(s) to jump up for Ball...

Swap MRob and future pick to move up for Wiseman.

Ball, RJ, Wiseman the core?

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I'd like to know what the personal reasons were that MRob missed the OTA. Still hard to trade the guy, the guy has potential, maybe the most upside of any guy on the roster. I guess if you can snag Wiseman and Ball though, it might be worth the risk of losing a potential all NBA defender.

Watching that Heat squad in the playoffs, we need to draft and pickup guys in FA that can shoot the ball. Vassel has that eye popping 41.5% 3 pt pct plus he can defend, not sure he'll repeat that in the pros because he wasn't a prolific 3 pt shooter taking 3.5 a game and it was one season but if he's there when we're up, I'd take him.

Actually he also shot 41.9% from distance his freshman year as well on fewer shots but that pct. gives you some proof he may be an elite shooter at the next level.

Last edited:
Doesn?t make sense to me to trade MRob. He?s on an extremely team friendly team for 2 more seasons. If he plays to his ceiling this season, then maybe sign him to a large extension past next season.

I don?t like Ball. Wiseman has massive upside, but rather have MRob and #8 pick than Wiseman.

I?m starting to worry we might do something crazy like we did at the 2002 NBA draft.

mafra

Legend
TBH, at this point... Rose and Thibbs should have the right to make this roster in their image, based on the type of b-ball they want to run, and the new regime should have the leeway to make any and all roster moves necessary to fulfill that vision, if they believe its the best way to make this team a championship title contender...

We assets (young players, ?vets?, and picks).... The aim is to assemble a cast of characters on that bench 10-12 deep, focusing mainly on the top 8 guys on the roster...

All fall in line!

So, we ain?t winning next season or the season after that... we hope to be even a second round type playoff team come 2023-2024 season... and that?s with this current group.

They are so young, so inexperienced and mismanaged, that it?ll require 2 years of development to get them into winning players, if that even exists in them.

In other words, whatever works baby. I?m game for a king rebuild or a quick turn in directions, just as long as moves/decisions are made responsibly.

I?m not selling farm for an injured VO and old CP3... but, if they don?t like something in MRob or RJ?s game, or Knits/Knox... Fine! Rip it off and move on... let?s not waste time, stuck in idle, repeating same mistakes.

Maybe the time to act is now, if they can assemble the right mix of players and get lucky in draft... turn around that way.

No guarantee MRob-RJ future is a kick either.

So, again... I?m on board for ingenuity and creativity and even a little risk-taking... but it has to make sense.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks Wall mock has us taking Kira Lewis at 8 and passing on Vassell who goes to the Spurs at 11. Said I liked Lewis months ago and he was going to move up from early predictions that he would go 15-20.This draft may be one if the most unpredictable ones in recent memory with the only consensus being Lemelo as the top pick. That would be a real surprise if the Knicks did pick Lewis at 8 because it would be a stretch to pick him that high with the consensus being he goes later.

mafra

Legend
BR?s Jonathon Wasserman, reported P&T

Ball did recently sign with Puma, which is the sneaker home for Walt Clyde Frazier, RJ Barrett and Kevin Knox, so maybe it?s not crazy to think the Knicks are angling for a draft day deal. Just as possible is that all of our brains have turned to mush during the coronavirus pandemic so now everyone is just making sh*t up.

Per Wasserman, the Knicks will receive the 2nd overall pick in exchange for both of their first round picks this year, next year?s first round pick they received from Dallas in the Kristaps Porzingis trade, and Ntilikina.

We?re not supposed to say stuff like this, but man it would be cool to see Ntilikina play with guys like Steph Curry and Klay Thompson, who are actually good at team basketball. In this hypothetical scenario Wasserman has cooked up, the Warriors would use the eighth pick to take Vassell.

Here?s what Wasserman had to say about Ball to the Knicks:

Losing seasons and franchise instability have turned free agents away from the New York Knicks. Even with a new front office, the team can?t feel confident in its ability to just sign the next star.

Instead, the Knicks could make a play for one of the draft?s potential stars, and if they can get LaMelo Ball without giving up Mitchell Robinson, RJ Barrett or the Knicks? own 2021 first-round pick, president of basketball operations Leon Rose would presumably sign off.

Aside from Ball?s flash and pace that the team has been missing, he?d give the Knicks a special playmaker to build around, regardless of how his scoring skills develop. For a 6?7? point guard, his elite passing will translate.

Ball could reach an exciting level of upside if his body continues to improve, his finishing gets better and his shooting starts to go from streaky to consistent.

I just don?t see it. Ball and Wiseman aren?t Ja and Zion. Emptying the war chest to trade up this year is crazy.

mafra

Legend
Trading away 2 late first rounders and Knits isn?t exactly selling the farm. If you believe in Ball...

Probably better to diversify the risk and roll dice on 2 late first rounders... but, most likely, Ball will be better than the 2 dudes we select.

Interesting to see if GSW like that package... they have stars so maybe they prefer quantity of depth type guys?

mafra

Legend
If lottery doesn?t break the way Rose/Perry hope, keep an eye out in a trade back and we target top sniper in draft Aaron Nesmith.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...-could-be-2020-nba-draft-gem-knicks-seek/amp/

Still, when it comes to scoring wings, Florida State?s Devin Vassell, known as the prototype ?3-and-D?? guy, usually rates higher. A couple of mock drafts have the Knicks taking Vassell eighth, but sources said they would be surprised if the Knicks view Vassell that high. Both Nesmith and Vassell may be a likelier proposition in trade-down scenarios.

The Pelicans select 13th and have three second-round picks. A swap of the eighth pick for the 13th could net the Knicks at least one of New Orleans? second-rounders (39, 42, 60). The Knicks have a lot of roster spots to fill, and a report stated the Knicks are open to adding another second-round pick to go with No. 38.

?Nesmith is not as well-rounded defensively as Vassell but is the best pure NBA 3-point shooter in the draft,?? Fraschilla said. ?He can not only catch it and shoot it stationary but was great on the move in Stackhouse?s NBA sets.

?For old-timers like me, [Nesmith] reminds me of a Dale Ellis or Rolando Blackman.??

Matt Bab****, the former NBA agent who produces a mock draft, feels the Nesmith-Vassell debate is a dead heat.

?It?s very close,?? Bab**** said. ?Although both are good outside shooters, Nesmith certainly has the edge in that area. He is elite. However, Vassell is much better on the defensive end. All in all, I value both prospects pretty equally. I think either player would be an adequate option for the Knicks? pick at eight.??

???-
I see NYK trading down (if they can?t get Ball, Wiseman or Okoro) then using ammo to trade back into the 17-25 range

Last edited: