Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    12th man

Found this on some draft website rating Maxey’s skill set. Doesn’t stick out as a more than 10-20 pick to me. Also his size doesn’t impress me for a combo guard.

STAT STRENGTHS

Draft Age

FT%

AST%/Usage

STAT WEAKNESSES

3P%

Off Box +/-

Off Rebounds

PER

EFG%

Box +/-

Win Shares

Off Rating

TS%

Steals

Off Win Shares

FG%

Rebounds

12th man

Hollinger of The Athletic on Maxey. Has him going at 26, not even late lottery but late first round. Why would the Knicks pick a guy @ 8 like Payne says, like I said I hope he’s a better coach than scout.

26. Tyrese Maxey, SG/PG, Kentucky
    He’s okay. I mean, that’s what you’re dealing with at this point. Maxey has become something of a Mock Draft Guy – he is theoretically an athletic guard who had high-lottery hype early in the year, but his production was pretty meh. In particular, his rebound-steal-block numbers were very poor for this type of player.
    Defensively, he’s not a disruptive defender and doesn’t anticipate or get his hands on balls, but he is a good lateral athlete who can stay in a stance, slide his feet, and keep drivers from getting anywhere important. Between that and his solid frame, he should be able to guard most 2s despite being short for the position.
    Maxey didn’t shoot the 3 well at Kentucky (29.2 percent), but between his free-throw shooting, his high school numbers and the eye test on his shooting form, it seems he can get to a decent level as a pro 3-point shooter. While he is more likely to play the two as a pro, he showed an ability to split traps off the dribble and had a solid assist rate (5.5 dimes per 100 in SEC play) for a guy who mostly played off the ball.
    Add all those things up and there’s enough hope that he can be a useful combo-ish rotation guard to take the plunge here.
    Last edited by tiger0330; Aug 20, 2020 at 18:53.

Veteran

Lottery takes place in a little over a half hour. Hoping for the best, but let’s be honest, draft lottery night is never a pleasant night for Knicks fans.

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Lottery takes place in a little over a half hour. Hoping for the best, but let’s be honest, draft lottery night is never a pleasant night for Knicks fans.
    How is not pleasant WHEN WE'RE GOING NUMBER ONE?!

Sig made by Sons of Thunder

Rose saying that about this draft.... most are on the same tier, meaning there’s a wide variety of opinions... all with flaws and pros and cons... so, not surprising some see Maxey as a top 10 and others in the 20-30 range.

Sounds like we trade down if we don’t get in top 3-5 range, bc we feel the guys 6-38 are interchangeable.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RunningJumper View Post
    How is not pleasant WHEN WE'RE GOING NUMBER ONE?!
    I hope you’re right. I’ve made a big deal about draft lottery night in past years but this year I’m keeping things low key and hoping that improves our luck.

Veteran

We have the highest odds of ending up picking 7th or 8th. 9% chance of #1 pick. About a 28% chance of top 3.

Knicks fall again. 2 spots. Unbelievable! 1985 was last time NY moved up

Veteran

I was kind of expecting this. Odds said we had a better chance of moving down than moving up.

I hope Sprewell picks for us at number 8.

Sig made by Sons of Thunder

What a shocker. Minny gets 1st pick. I wonder why? KAT and riots. NBA lending a helping hand. GSW gets second pick. Naturally, so they can trade it and help Curry. NBA is so rigged.

Veteran

Collin Sexton was the 8th pick a couple years ago. Plenty of value to be had at 8. Ntilikina was an 8th pick, so there’s that too.

Veteran

If we’re targeting PG, Tyrese Haliburton and Killian Hayes are still both realistic targets at the 8th pick.

Dirk was the 9th pick. But this is NYK and we’ll trade MRob, RJ and the 8th pick for some disgruntled star, who will come here and suck. Repeat cycle. 2040 will be our decade!

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    Dirk was the 9th pick. But this is NYK and we’ll trade MRob, RJ and the 8th pick for some disgruntled start who will come here and suck. Repeat cycle.
    That sounds like a trade we’ll offer for Embiid.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was a 9th pick. If we go PG, I think we’re still going to have solid options at 8. Trying to find a silver lining here, picking 8th might save us from going after a flashier guy with more risk.