2020 NBA Draft: NYK target a PG

mafra

Legend
Aside from Knits, NyK also grabbed Jordan Hill and Channing Frye at 8.

Anybody recall where Michael Sweetney was? 9?

mafra

Legend
Lots are high on Vassel.

We definitely gonna have a player available at 8, like when there were DSJ, Monk, Knits, Mitchell sitting there at 8 a few years ago....

Let?s hope the new regime will pick the right player this time.

mafra

Legend
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...unfavorable-drawing-in-nba-draft-lottery/amp/

This article suggests this draft could be like the Curry draft. Ball could slide to 7, within reach of NY, b/c top 6 clubs don?t really need a lead G.

? Consider the seven teams slotted ahead of New York. The Detroit Pistons need a point guard at No. 7. But the top six? Their ball-handling situations aren't nearly as dire.

The Minnesota Timberwolves at No. 1 just gave up a former No. 1 overall pick (Andrew Wiggins) and a 2021 first-round pick that won't be much lower to get a point guard in D'Angelo Russell. They're really going to spend another No. 1 pick on another?
Reports have suggested that the Golden State Warriorsaren't interested in Ball. They just went down the two-point guard path and dumped Russell when it didn't work.
The Charlotte Hornets gave Terry Rozier a three-year, $58 million contract last summer and have already seen him outshined by former second-round pick Devonte' Graham. Rozier is a stickler for playing time. Adding a third point guard to the mix seems volatile.
The Chicago Bulls have Zach LaVine, an All-Star candidate, and Coby White, who just averaged 26 points per game in his last nine appearances. Both are 25 or younger. Both are under team control for multiple seasons. The backcourt isn't a need.
The Cleveland Cavaliers just spent back-to-back lottery picks on guards, and they spent two other first-round picks in the backcourt in 2019 alone. Ball is the last thing they need.
The Atlanta Hawks have Trae Young. Why take the ball out of his hands??

We might get to see Ball fall to 7, only to watch DET take him.

Let?s hope we don?t get stuck with Jordan Hill again, then.

mafra

Legend
8. Knicks: Precious Achiuwa, SF/PF, Memphis

With Knicks fans calling for Cole Anthony, team president Leon Rose pulls a stunner, selecting a different local, the 6-foot-9 Bronx native, an immediate difference-maker around the basket and on the defensive end. The lone college freshman to average a double-double, Achiuwa can team with Frank Ntilikina and Mitchell Robinson to give Tom Thibodeau the makings of a vastly improved defensive unit.

9. Wizards: Devin Vassell, SG, Florida State

With Bradley Beal potentially on the block, Vassell is a natural fit in the nation?s capital. Even if the Wizards keep Beal, Vassell can play on the wing at 6 feet 6 and take advantage of the attention given to Beal and returning point guard John Wall.

10. Suns: Killian Hayes, PG, Ratiopharm Ulm (Germany)

Narrowly missing out on the postseason will be a plus in the long run for the on-the-rise Suns, who add Hayes, Ricky Rubio?s long-term replacement on the ball. Although his long-range jumper remains a work in progress, the 6-foot-5 Hayes, born in the US but raised in France, is a terrific playmaker and distributor and will be surrounded by skilled shot-makers in Phoenix.

11. Spurs: Cole Anthony, PG, North Carolina

The Spurs are too smart to let Anthony, the son of former NBA point guard Greg Anthony, fall further. While some teams may have been scared off by his freshman year at North Carolina ? when a knee injury and poor shooting percentages dropped his stock ? San Antonio will see his strengths, from his high-level scoring ability to relentless work ethic and alpha-male character traits.

mafra

Legend
With the Knicks dropping yet again in the NBA Draft Lottery -- this time down two spots to the No. 8 pick -- they likely won't get a chance to draft one of the top guys unless someone falls or they decide to trade up. But there may be someone they already like who should be available at that spot.

Sources tell SNY's Ian Begley that Florida State's Devin Vassell has some fans at Madison Square Garden.

The 6-7, 194 pound sophomore guard averaged 12.7 point, 5.1 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game last season for the Seminoles.

Vassell has a similar build as last year's No. 3 overall pick RJ Barrett, but is more of a "3-and-D" player compared to Barrett's offensive scorer potential. Vassell shot 41.5 percent from three last season.

Among some of Vassell's accolades from this season are being a two-time ACC Player of the Week and on the Naismith Award Defensive Player of the Year midseason Top 15 finalist list.

The Knicks may try to move up in the draft, but with not much veteran depth on the team to entice say the Warriors (No. 2 pick), it's likely they stay at the eight spot this year, unless they can find another team for a three-way deal.

And then Ian Begley dropped a tasty nugget Friday morning to brighten my day:

If New York decides to take the best player available at eight, regardless of position, players like Auburn?s Isaac Okoro, Florida State?s Devin Vassell and Patrick Williams could be there. Dayton?s Obi Toppin is unlikely to be on the board at eight.

Vassell, it?s worth noting, has some fans at Madison Square Garden, sources say.
Here?s Vassell?s Know the Prospect profile, if you haven?t seen it already. He?s quite good. I?d be more concerned if the Knicks didn?t like him.

This could be the move that finally rectify?s Scott Perry?s mistake of not picking Mikal Bridges in 2018.The

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I also like Devin Vassell. Tough competitor, shoots 3's, plays defense, decent athlete. Draft him and if he's not good right out the gate, stash him in the G-League

mafra

Legend
Knicks would do well with 2 solid singles and a wall-ball double... don?t need franchise players, although that would be great... but we need 2 impactful rotation guys. A starter and a role player...

tiger0330

Legend
I said I thought LaMelo would go to MN but I forgot they swung that deal for DRuss. I think they'll be open to trading that pick for an established vet difference maker to team with KAT and DRuss, pretty sure they want to make some noise next year and not wait 4 years for a rookie to blossom. Read LaMelo is still on top of the wish list for the Knicks and the Knicks might want to trade up to get him, I don't see a must have on our roster the TWolves would want other than MRob but you would think he's pretty much untouchable. Maybe there's interest in Randle?

mafra

Legend
That?s what I was thinking, do they envision Randle as a compliment to KAT? Not even sure if the money works... but I would imagine there would be better offers for the top pick.

And perhaps they like Edwards anyway.

I don?t think we?ll be able to move up without giving up too much in draft capital. Not worth it in my mind.

Devin Vassell is interesting. He hits me as the same kind of option Mikal Bridges was in the draft a couple years ago. Mikal Bridges has not put up much stats for Phoenix and his 3 point shooting is nothing special, but his defense is legitimate. He really helped the Suns play well and win games in the bubble.

The thing is for me though, floor spacers who play good D shouldn?t be a lottery pick. There a bunch of these guys, to varying degrees. We?ve failed at it a hundred times, but we really need to use the 8th pick to find a ball handler.

From what I?m reading, Leon Rose is more likely to trade back than up from the 8th pick and he reportedly is more engaged in finding good players with the late 1st and early 2nd round picks since options are so equivocal in the lottery past the first few picks.

I agree with this approach. Breaking the bank to get LaMelo seems too risky to me. Now, if it was Zion or Ja a year ago...

mafra

Legend
If the Knicks stay at eight, it?s worth noting that 13 of the 24 All-Stars this year were taken at eight or later. That group includes Kawhi Leonard, Devin Booker, Donovan Mitchell and Giannis Antetokounmpo.

But for the Knick fan who has suffered through the last six seasons, it must have been tough to watch deputy commissioner Mark Tatum announce that the club had fallen back to eight on Thursday night.

The Knicks haven?t moved up in the Lottery since 1985, when they got the No. 1 pick and took Patrick Ewing. Ewing led them back to prominence and a memorable run to the NBA Finals. Since Ewing was traded away, the Knicks have fallen apart ? having won just one playoff series in the last 20 years.

Maybe it will be different with team president Leon Rose and his group. Rose has brought in top front office people (William ?World Wide Wes? Wesley, Brock Aller, Frank Zanin, Walt Perrin). Getting the first pick would have been ideal, but Rose and his group should be able to extract value out of the eighth pick, whether it?s via trade or through the draft.

Perrin drafted two of the group of 13 All-Stars mentioned above who were drafted eighth or later (Mitchell and Rudy Gobert). Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau helped develop one of those players (Jimmy Butler) into an All-Star. So there are plenty of examples of teams getting top players at eighth or later. Can the new Knick regime add to that list? We?ll find out in mid-October.

Ian Bagley

Some people have posted online some highlights of Devin Vassell and now that I?m seeing more of him, I wonder if labeling him as a 3 and D guy isn?t doing him a big disservice. He seems like he has more to his game than that.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Some people have posted online some highlights of Devin Vassell and now that I?m seeing more of him, I wonder if labeling him as a 3 and D guy isn?t doing him a big disservice. He seems like he has more to his game than that.

I mean I'm not a pro scout or anything but he looks like he has some decent athleticism also. An athletic wing who can shoot and play defense is more than just a roleplayer in today's NBA - with today's emphasis on outside shooting, he would be a very good complementary player to someone like RJ who is better inside than on the perimeter

mafra

Legend
I just read an article on the Ringer about the Knicks, and it mentioned how RJ and MRob will benefit big time offensively with better spacing and improved shooting.

These 2 were on the floor for almost the statistically worst spacing lineups in NBA. The advance metrics scream that This roster needs shooting and better spacing.

I think RJ would?ve averaged 4.6 assists a game, per this advanced metric that looks at potential assists a player would?ve had....

If we just get 2 defensive wings who can shoot, and nothing else... but 2 impactful rotation wing players, who shoot above 40% from downtown and are above average defenders....

Think about the potential.... MRob and Knits and defense, shooting, to give Randle and RJ space....

That?s a 40 win playoff roster.

tiger0330

Legend
I don’t think we’ll be able to move up without giving up too much in draft capital. Not worth it in my mind.

Devin Vassell is interesting. He hits me as the same kind of option Mikal Bridges was in the draft a couple years ago. Mikal Bridges has not put up much stats for Phoenix and his 3 point shooting is nothing special, but his defense is legitimate. He really helped the Suns play well and win games in the bubble.

The thing is for me though, floor spacers who play good D shouldn’t be a lottery pick. There a bunch of these guys, to varying degrees. We’ve failed at it a hundred times, but we really need to use the 8th pick to find a ball handler.
That’s the decision the Knicks are going to have to make, Vassell isn’t a PG, ball handler, play maker so do you take him at 8 and get a redo of taking the 3 pt shooting defender with long arms over a PG or more athletic wing like we could have with Mikal Bridges or do you get that PG/playmaker the Knicks desperately need. Bridges has been good but not great for the Suns so I’d take Vassell at 8 if Hayes and Halliburton are gone at 8.

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
Do you guys think that if we trade for Lonzo and acquire Gelo, then LaMelo would be pushing for us to get him?

Not saying that we could draft him with the 8th, but we could trade that pick and next years for him. At the very least having the 3 brothers here would bring excitement.