2020 NBA Draft: NYK target a PG

When KP walk out the door. What became our #1 priority? Not our #3 or #2 but our #1 priority? Ok all at once let say it together PF.

A PG is the spin that the F.O. is sending to the fans that don't know better. Of course this mean they don't know any better, either.

Address the #1 problem and let the PG situation take care of itself. F.O. has bought in every 'Tom, Dick and Harry' to supplant Frank.

mafra

Legend
Saying PF is a primary need is like prioritizing LF over an ace SP or an ILB over a QB.

This is a sport where only 5 men are on the floor at same time. There?s 1 ball. Today?s game is predicated on who is your ball-dominant franchise player.

LJ, Giannis, Luka?

Sure, get me a F like that and I don?t care about a PG.

But, seriously, dating back to Naismith... who ever said PF the big need? C or PG, always...

There was no Power or Postup on Porzingis?s game. He ain?t no PF.

mafra

Legend
https://nypost.com/2020/08/24/knicks-eye-isaac-okoro-in-nba-draft-as-joel-embiid-intrigue-looms/

Knicks eyeing ?relentless? Isaac Okoro as NBA Draft option

M.Berman

He?s not a scoring point guard, he?s not even a good shooter. But he?s got a reputation for being a winner and defender ? and that might be what the moribund Knicks need with their No. 8 draft pick.

According to an NBA source, Auburn?s 6-foot-6 small forward Isaac Okoro has support among Knicks brass as a consideration for the draft on Oct. 16.

If the Knicks decide to trade a shade back and obtain another asset, Okoro probably will be gone ? which might be the route they choose.

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said his staff had been interviewed by the Knicks about Okoro before the lottery.

?They?ve done their homework on him,? Pearl told The Post recently. ?I didn?t get a read on it, but they?ve done their due diligence.?

ESPN?s college basketball maven, Seth Greenberg, sees a potential Jaylen Brown-type player in Okoro. Some have compared Okoro to Toronto?s wing, OG Onunoby.

?He?s a winner,?? Greenberg told The Post. ?He probably could defend 1-to-4 without an issue. He?s physically strong. He?s got a good floor game. You can post him up. He?s got some similarities to Jaylen. Physically strong, really defend and a toughness about him. High energy. Relentless work ethic. The thing I like the most is just his relentlessness.

?Jaylen Brown had the same question coming out of college, too, and he?s a good shooter now.?

The question could also be whether Okoro drops to No. 8.

?This draft [Okoro] gets consideration as high as No. 4,?? one NBA personnel director told The Post. ?He?s got NBA size, is an athlete with toughness and plays D. So he can get on the court fairly quickly. Coaches like that. After the top three, you can make a case for a lot of players.??

The top three players figure to be Anthony Edwards, James Wiseman and LaMelo Ball, the latter being tops on president Leon Rose?s draft board.

Okoro guarded the opponent?s top scoring wing. The first one-and-doner in Auburn history averaged 12.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.0 assists and almost one steal a game. He shot 51.4 percent, but just 29 percent from 3. His baskets often came off his dribble-drives in the lane.

?In the Kentucky game, [Okoro] was the most physically imposing player on the floor,?? Greenberg said. ?He was tough to keep off the glass and out of the lane. His body is NBA-ready.?

The Knicks need to solidify their point-guard position, but if Okoro falls, they can use their second first-rounder on a point guard. The Knicks could trade up from No. 27 to nab speedy Kira Lewis (Alabama) or sharpshooter Aaron Nesmith (Vanderbilt), who also has some fans in the organization.

Plus, Rose will have his eye out in free agency and the trade market, where Ben Simmons of the Sixers and OKC?s Chris Paul could be available.

Meanwhile, Okoro, of Powder Springs, Ga., entered his freshman year with little buzz. In one national college preview, Okoro was the fifth Auburn forward mentioned but worked his way into a full-time starter. Pearl said he believes he?ll turn into a better shooter because he?s a gym rat.

The Sixers, ousted by the Celtics in a sweep Sunday, could well break up the core and look to deal either center Joel Embiid or Simmons. Embiid was Rose?s client at the Creative Artists Agency and it?s not hard to imagine him wanting a change of scenery to New York.

During All-Star Weekend, Embiid said of Rose, ?Leon is my guy. He?s like family to me. When I heard the news, I was happy for him. He?s cool. Being an agent for such a long time and getting a GM or a president job I think is amazing. I?m so happy for him. I?m sure he?ll do a good job over there.?

It the position KP played and the fact that he was what we were building around.
Today NBA is ran by a bunch of midget minded people who don't know real BB.
If you don't or realized that the most important part of your building process just left the franchise. And you are talking about drafting a player with no... none reverent to the player that just left your team... How smart are you??

All of examples are mute point if that LF is hitting over 300 with 30 plus hrs and over a 100rbi`s.... When a SP only plays 2 days a week. So what your point again.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
https://nypost.com/2020/08/24/knicks-eye-isaac-okoro-in-nba-draft-as-joel-embiid-intrigue-looms/

Knicks eyeing ‘relentless’ Isaac Okoro as NBA Draft option

M.Berman

He’s not a scoring point guard, he’s not even a good shooter. But he’s got a reputation for being a winner and defender — and that might be what the moribund Knicks need with their No. 8 draft pick.

According to an NBA source, Auburn’s 6-foot-6 small forward Isaac Okoro has support among Knicks brass as a consideration for the draft on Oct. 16.

If the Knicks decide to trade a shade back and obtain another asset, Okoro probably will be gone — which might be the route they choose.

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said his staff had been interviewed by the Knicks about Okoro before the lottery.

“They’ve done their homework on him,” Pearl told The Post recently. “I didn’t get a read on it, but they’ve done their due diligence.”

ESPN’s college basketball maven, Seth Greenberg, sees a potential Jaylen Brown-type player in Okoro. Some have compared Okoro to Toronto’s wing, OG Onunoby.

“He’s a winner,’’ Greenberg told The Post. “He probably could defend 1-to-4 without an issue. He’s physically strong. He’s got a good floor game. You can post him up. He’s got some similarities to Jaylen. Physically strong, really defend and a toughness about him. High energy. Relentless work ethic. The thing I like the most is just his relentlessness.

“Jaylen Brown had the same question coming out of college, too, and he’s a good shooter now.”

The question could also be whether Okoro drops to No. 8.

“This draft [Okoro] gets consideration as high as No. 4,’’ one NBA personnel director told The Post. “He’s got NBA size, is an athlete with toughness and plays D. So he can get on the court fairly quickly. Coaches like that. After the top three, you can make a case for a lot of players.’’

The top three players figure to be Anthony Edwards, James Wiseman and LaMelo Ball, the latter being tops on president Leon Rose’s draft board.

Okoro guarded the opponent’s top scoring wing. The first one-and-doner in Auburn history averaged 12.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.0 assists and almost one steal a game. He shot 51.4 percent, but just 29 percent from 3. His baskets often came off his dribble-drives in the lane.

“In the Kentucky game, [Okoro] was the most physically imposing player on the floor,’’ Greenberg said. “He was tough to keep off the glass and out of the lane. His body is NBA-ready.”

The Knicks need to solidify their point-guard position, but if Okoro falls, they can use their second first-rounder on a point guard. The Knicks could trade up from No. 27 to nab speedy Kira Lewis (Alabama) or sharpshooter Aaron Nesmith (Vanderbilt), who also has some fans in the organization.

Plus, Rose will have his eye out in free agency and the trade market, where Ben Simmons of the Sixers and OKC’s Chris Paul could be available.

Meanwhile, Okoro, of Powder Springs, Ga., entered his freshman year with little buzz. In one national college preview, Okoro was the fifth Auburn forward mentioned but worked his way into a full-time starter. Pearl said he believes he’ll turn into a better shooter because he’s a gym rat.

The Sixers, ousted by the Celtics in a sweep Sunday, could well break up the core and look to deal either center Joel Embiid or Simmons. Embiid was Rose’s client at the Creative Artists Agency and it’s not hard to imagine him wanting a change of scenery to New York.

During All-Star Weekend, Embiid said of Rose, “Leon is my guy. He’s like family to me. When I heard the news, I was happy for him. He’s cool. Being an agent for such a long time and getting a GM or a president job I think is amazing. I’m so happy for him. I’m sure he’ll do a good job over there.”
Read the front office wants to keep the Embiid/Simmons pair together but that their managing partner Josh Harris said more changes are coming in that front office so I guess that tells you something about anything that front office tells you.

Elton Brand would be the first guy I look to dump in a front office reorganization but supposedly his job is safe but I wouldn’t get too comfortable if I were Brand.

Ty Lue the leading candidate for the HC job, that has to piss off Udoka, if he’s passed over. Maybe we can add him to Thibs staff if he leaves PHI.

mafra

Legend
Incredible breakdown of potential pick Isaac Okoro:

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2020/8/26/21401696/know-the-prospect-isaac-okoro

The Knicks need shooters, sure. The Knicks need everything. If it?s true the new front office seeks assets not only to improve the roster but to possibly trade up in next year?s mother of all drafts, an NBA-ready defender with Kawhi-like upside sounds more attractive than a 3-and-D like Vassell, or a nice shooter who may not be able to create much for themselves in the pros, as some fear with Haliburton.

As for the ?What about Kevin Knox? He plays the same position!? sophism, remember: a fair number of us a year ago wrote off Ja Morant because the Knicks already had Dennis Smith Jr. It?s one thing to give young talent the chance to grow. It?s another to pass up potentially superior talent because you either assume or enjoying hoping your young talent will develop. Is it too early to settle on what Knox can be? It is. That doesn?t mean he?s earned the right to be anything more than a question mark whenever the Knicks next set foot on a court.

At minimum, Okoro appears to be someone who excels at things most Knicks don?t, and for what it?s worth there?s talk New York is at least entertaining the thought. A lineup featuring Okoro, Ntilikina, Barrett and Mitchell Robinson would be a joy to watch on defense. Less so on offense, but squeeze a Brandon Ingram in and voila! problem solved, right?

????????

Imagine a BI or FVV with a Bertrans added here?

Knits-Okoro-MItch terrorize offenses.... with FVV dishing and swishing, RJ or Randle the ISO bailout.

Or BI dominating the offense. With Markanen or Betrans The stretch 4.

mafra

Legend
Marc Berman of The Post reported earlier this week that the front office has scouted Campazzo, who played last season with Real Madrid.

?The Knicks have scouted Campazzo, need point-guard help and like his game. Whether they will be a serious bidder for the 29-year-old is unclear, but his is a name to keep in mind, pending draft results.?
Campazzo averaged 10.8 points on 43.0% shooting (38.3% from beyond the arc) and 6.4 assists this past season for Madrid. He?s a tiny 5?11?. but he?s a wizard with the ball in his hands. He?s also done exceptional work with the Argentine national team.

Poasting and Toasting

tiger0330

Legend
Marc Berman of The Post reported earlier this week that the front office has scouted Campazzo, who played last season with Real Madrid.

“The Knicks have scouted Campazzo, need point-guard help and like his game. Whether they will be a serious bidder for the 29-year-old is unclear, but his is a name to keep in mind, pending draft results.”
Campazzo averaged 10.8 points on 43.0% shooting (38.3% from beyond the arc) and 6.4 assists this past season for Madrid. He’s a tiny 5’11”. but he’s a wizard with the ball in his hands. He’s also done exceptional work with the Argentine national team.

Poasting and Toasting
Never heard of the guy, Facundo Campazzo. Just saw his YouTube vid and he’s a mini Spanish James Harden, he’d be an instant fan fav at MSG. Other NBA teams are interested, here’s an article about him, btw article mentions a guy I’ve mentioned In other posts, Jordan McGlaughlin, if the Knicks are interested in Campazzo and don’t get him.

The Minnesota Timberwolves are reportedly interested in Argentinan point guard Facundo Campazzo.
Gersson Rosas’ Minnesota Timberwolves will leave no stone unturned as they look to improve their roster talent.
In the latest evidence of this, the Wolves are continuing to be hot on the trail of Argentinian point guard Facundo Campazzo, who will almost surely enter the NBA via international free agency this offseason.

Minnesota Timberwolves interested in Facundo Campazzo
Campazzo has been on the NBA radar for a while, going undrafted in 2013 but being rumored to have interest among teams in the United States nearly every year since.
2b70da32-0a4d-4cc0-a337-8c3096f2a9db

He was a teammate of Luka Doncic on Real Madrid, and Doncic recently gave Campazzo a vote of confidence when it comes to the possibility of joining him stateside.
The Mavericks, of course, are one of the teams rumored to have interest. Most recently, the New York Knicks, along with the Timberwolves and possibly the San Antonio Spurs, have all showed some desire to engage Campazzo with the possibility of coming to the NBA.
Campazzo is a creative point guard (his nickname is Magician) with an uncanny passing ability and elite court vision. Pull up any highlight video of Facu, as they call him, and you’ll see between-the-legs dishes, no-look dimes, and pinpoint head-manning passes.
RELATED
He also has scoring touch in the paint, scoring over and around defenders despite his diminutive, 5-foot-10 frame. Campazzo’s floater game is the real deal, and his first step appears to be solid as well.
Campazzo is also a decent 3-point shooter. Despite a poor mark of 31 percent on four 3-point attempts per game in this year’s Euroleague, he had been over 38 percent dating back to 2018 while increasing his number of attempts.
Playing for Argentina in the 2016 Olympics, Campazzo averaged 15.8 points and 5.8 assists per game across six contests while hitting on 37.8 percent from deep. He also played well in the 2018 FIBA World Cup, putting up 13.3 points and 7.8 assists per game while knocking down 39.1 percent on 3-point attempts.
Campazzo’s shot release is a bit unorthodox and he can look as though he’s heaving the ball, but if it can go in at something resembling a league-average clip, he can fit in today’s NBA with his high level of creativity with the ball in his hands. Plus, he’s a solid rebounder for his size.

Campazzo won’t be a fit with the Wolves if they select LaMelo Ball at No. 1 in the upcoming draft, of course. They’re also unlikely to re-sign Jordan McLaughlin and add Campazzo.
That means that Campazzo joining the Wolves really only seems possible if the Wolves trade down in the draft, and/or don’t retain McLaughlin. Campazzo may be a better fit offensively than McLaughlin, although their skill sets are fairly closely duplicated, but McLaughlin could also be A) cheaper, and B) better defensively.
One of the main reasons for the Campazzo-to-Minnesota rumors, of course, is the presence of Minnesota Timberwolves assistant coach and fellow Argentinian Pablo Prigioni. There’s also the Manu Ginobili connection in San Antonio, and the Doncic connection in Dallas.
The Knicks … well, they’re the Knicks, so of course they’re rumored to be interested.

While there are hurdles to clear for Campazzo to be a Timberwolf in the near future, he’s certainly a name to keep on your radar as we inch closer to the offseason.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I haven't followed the Knicks in a while. Took a look at the roster. This is a bum ass team! It's really bad. I'm not one to mortgage the youth but we really need to trade up the draft and get Ball. At minimum we should get Deni Avdija. I don't think Deni will fall to 8 so we'd have to trade up to get him.

Outside of RJ and Brazdeikis I would entertain offers for anyone on the roster. I like Mitchel but serviceable big men that can rebound aren't exactly rare.

I haven't followed the Knicks in a while. Took a look at the roster. This is a bum ass team! It's really bad. I'm not one to mortgage the youth but we really need to trade up the draft and get Ball. At minimum we should get Deni Avdija. I don't think Deni will fall to 8 so we'd have to trade up to get him.

Outside of RJ and Brazdeikis I would entertain offers for anyone on the roster. I like Mitchel but serviceable big men that can rebound aren't exactly rare.

I don?t get the love for Ball. Trading up to get him and having it be a complete disaster is the most Knicks thing we could do.

mafra

Legend
Reportedly, Minny and GS shopping #1 and #2 picks. Why? This draft is not good. I hope we stay away.

Makes you wonder how highly GSW thinks of Knits or how down they are in Edwards-Wiseman-Ball....

Bc... there?s a chance GSW does 2nd pick for Knits and the 8th...

Prospects in the 4-8 range all the same tier type... so, if they don?t want a top 3 and like Knits.... it?s possible they swing the pick our way.

Knicks would be foolish to sacrifice much and gamble on Ball. For Knits or Knox... maybe, but that?s the extent of it

That last throw in pick for Melo turned out to be Jamal Murray! Be careful.

Makes you wonder how highly GSW thinks of Knits or how down they are in Edwards-Wiseman-Ball....

Bc... there?s a chance GSW does 2nd pick for Knits and the 8th...

Prospects in the 4-8 range all the same tier type... so, if they don?t want a top 3 and like Knits.... it?s possible they swing the pick our way.

Knicks would be foolish to sacrifice much and gamble on Ball. For Knits or Knox... maybe, but that?s the extent of it

That last throw in pick for Melo turned out to be Jamal Murray! Be careful.

My guess is that to move up it would cost us our 2021 1st round pick, in addition to the 8th pick this year.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I don?t get the love for Ball. Trading up to get him and having it be a complete disaster is the most Knicks thing we could do.

Look at the roster. You could give up 10 players for Ball and you wouldn't be any worse off. I'm exaggerating a bit but you get the point. I kind of think we place too much value on RJ and Robinson. They are good serviceable players, likely role players on a good team. I don't think we have any real trade assets to get a star like Donnavan Mitchell.

Reportedly, Minny and GS shopping #1 and #2 picks. Why? This draft is not good. I hope we stay away.

If true this give us the chance to get the two most talented players in the draft in Wiseman and Edwards. You trade RJ to and 27th for 2nd overall pick. The question then becomes is do we gamble with thinking that Wiseman will fall to the #8.

This is the only way for us to become any kind of contender in the future. If this doesn't happen we will be trying to sign F.A. or making bad trade to build a contender.

mafra

Legend
If you do that, you hope Okoro falls to 8, or the Israeli kid, and you replace RJ there.

I think if you trade RJ or Ball it has to be for a proven young asset. Can?t roll the dice and trade RJ for the next Anthony Bennett.

You act like RJ is really worth something. I'm hoping that Minny or G.S. is a bigger fool than we are and make the trade. Nobody is going to trade us a proven young asset for RJ. Let just hope they feel they can get something out of him.
Nobody in this draft as far as wing go to be a 'B. King'. We don't need a wing or PG.... We need a SG and PF. We can get them if F.O. is smart enough. That is the whole issue with this 'Is the F.O. smart enough and imaginative enough to create avenue to achieve these goals.

mafra

Legend
You act like Wiseman is worth something. I guarantee you RJ has a spot in NBA for a long time, even if only a role player.

Who knows if Wiseman is Greg Oden, Greg Ostertag, or Anthony Bennett.

And, I bet you RJ has better career than Edwards or Ball.

This is going to be like the 2017 draft where the smart teams will trade back and the dumb teams will trade up. Best picks in 2017 were Tatum at 3, Mitchell at 13, and Adebayo at 14.

Absolutely no reason to trade up. Nothing at the top of the draft is that much better than the rest of the pack. If we?re smarter than we?ve been in the past, we?ll get someone just as good at 8.