Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    12th man

I said I thought LaMelo would go to MN but I forgot they swung that deal for DRuss. I think they'll be open to trading that pick for an established vet difference maker to team with KAT and DRuss, pretty sure they want to make some noise next year and not wait 4 years for a rookie to blossom. Read LaMelo is still on top of the wish list for the Knicks and the Knicks might want to trade up to get him, I don't see a must have on our roster the TWolves would want other than MRob but you would think he's pretty much untouchable. Maybe there's interest in Randle?

That’s what I was thinking, do they envision Randle as a compliment to KAT? Not even sure if the money works... but I would imagine there would be better offers for the top pick.

And perhaps they like Edwards anyway.

Veteran

I don’t think we’ll be able to move up without giving up too much in draft capital. Not worth it in my mind.

Devin Vassell is interesting. He hits me as the same kind of option Mikal Bridges was in the draft a couple years ago. Mikal Bridges has not put up much stats for Phoenix and his 3 point shooting is nothing special, but his defense is legitimate. He really helped the Suns play well and win games in the bubble.

The thing is for me though, floor spacers who play good D shouldn’t be a lottery pick. There a bunch of these guys, to varying degrees. We’ve failed at it a hundred times, but we really need to use the 8th pick to find a ball handler.

Veteran

From what I’m reading, Leon Rose is more likely to trade back than up from the 8th pick and he reportedly is more engaged in finding good players with the late 1st and early 2nd round picks since options are so equivocal in the lottery past the first few picks.

I agree with this approach. Breaking the bank to get LaMelo seems too risky to me. Now, if it was Zion or Ja a year ago...

If the Knicks stay at eight, it’s worth noting that 13 of the 24 All-Stars this year were taken at eight or later. That group includes Kawhi Leonard, Devin Booker, Donovan Mitchell and Giannis Antetokounmpo.

But for the Knick fan who has suffered through the last six seasons, it must have been tough to watch deputy commissioner Mark Tatum announce that the club had fallen back to eight on Thursday night.

The Knicks haven’t moved up in the Lottery since 1985, when they got the No. 1 pick and took Patrick Ewing. Ewing led them back to prominence and a memorable run to the NBA Finals. Since Ewing was traded away, the Knicks have fallen apart – having won just one playoff series in the last 20 years.

Maybe it will be different with team president Leon Rose and his group. Rose has brought in top front office people (William ‘World Wide Wes’ Wesley, Brock Aller, Frank Zanin, Walt Perrin). Getting the first pick would have been ideal, but Rose and his group should be able to extract value out of the eighth pick, whether it’s via trade or through the draft.

Perrin drafted two of the group of 13 All-Stars mentioned above who were drafted eighth or later (Mitchell and Rudy Gobert). Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau helped develop one of those players (Jimmy Butler) into an All-Star. So there are plenty of examples of teams getting top players at eighth or later. Can the new Knick regime add to that list? We’ll find out in mid-October.

Ian Bagley

Veteran

Some people have posted online some highlights of Devin Vassell and now that I’m seeing more of him, I wonder if labeling him as a 3 and D guy isn’t doing him a big disservice. He seems like he has more to his game than that.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Some people have posted online some highlights of Devin Vassell and now that I’m seeing more of him, I wonder if labeling him as a 3 and D guy isn’t doing him a big disservice. He seems like he has more to his game than that.
    I mean I'm not a pro scout or anything but he looks like he has some decent athleticism also. An athletic wing who can shoot and play defense is more than just a roleplayer in today's NBA - with today's emphasis on outside shooting, he would be a very good complementary player to someone like RJ who is better inside than on the perimeter

I just read an article on the Ringer about the Knicks, and it mentioned how RJ and MRob will benefit big time offensively with better spacing and improved shooting.

These 2 were on the floor for almost the statistically worst spacing lineups in NBA. The advance metrics scream that This roster needs shooting and better spacing.

I think RJ would’ve averaged 4.6 assists a game, per this advanced metric that looks at potential assists a player would’ve had....

If we just get 2 defensive wings who can shoot, and nothing else... but 2 impactful rotation wing players, who shoot above 40% from downtown and are above average defenders....

Think about the potential.... MRob and Knits and defense, shooting, to give Randle and RJ space....

That’s a 40 win playoff roster.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    I don’t think we’ll be able to move up without giving up too much in draft capital. Not worth it in my mind.

Devin Vassell is interesting. He hits me as the same kind of option Mikal Bridges was in the draft a couple years ago. Mikal Bridges has not put up much stats for Phoenix and his 3 point shooting is nothing special, but his defense is legitimate. He really helped the Suns play well and win games in the bubble.

The thing is for me though, floor spacers who play good D shouldn’t be a lottery pick. There a bunch of these guys, to varying degrees. We’ve failed at it a hundred times, but we really need to use the 8th pick to find a ball handler.
    That’s the decision the Knicks are going to have to make, Vassell isn’t a PG, ball handler, play maker so do you take him at 8 and get a redo of taking the 3 pt shooting defender with long arms over a PG or more athletic wing like we could have with Mikal Bridges or do you get that PG/playmaker the Knicks desperately need. Bridges has been good but not great for the Suns so I’d take Vassell at 8 if Hayes and Halliburton are gone at 8.

Do you guys think that if we trade for Lonzo and acquire Gelo, then LaMelo would be pushing for us to get him?

Not saying that we could draft him with the 8th, but we could trade that pick and next years for him. At the very least having the 3 brothers here would bring excitement.

When KP walk out the door. What became our #1 priority? Not our #3 or #2 but our #1 priority? Ok all at once let say it together PF.

A PG is the spin that the F.O. is sending to the fans that don't know better. Of course this mean they don't know any better, either.

Address the #1 problem and let the PG situation take care of itself. F.O. has bought in every 'Tom, Dick and Harry' to supplant Frank.

Saying PF is a primary need is like prioritizing LF over an ace SP or an ILB over a QB.

This is a sport where only 5 men are on the floor at same time. There’s 1 ball. Today’s game is predicated on who is your ball-dominant franchise player.

LJ, Giannis, Luka?

Sure, get me a F like that and I don’t care about a PG.

But, seriously, dating back to Naismith... who ever said PF the big need? C or PG, always...

There was no Power or Postup on Porzingis’s game. He ain’t no PF.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/24/knicks...ntrigue-looms/

Knicks eyeing ‘relentless’ Isaac Okoro as NBA Draft option

M.Berman

He’s not a scoring point guard, he’s not even a good shooter. But he’s got a reputation for being a winner and defender — and that might be what the moribund Knicks need with their No. 8 draft pick.

According to an NBA source, Auburn’s 6-foot-6 small forward Isaac Okoro has support among Knicks brass as a consideration for the draft on Oct. 16.

If the Knicks decide to trade a shade back and obtain another asset, Okoro probably will be gone — which might be the route they choose.

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said his staff had been interviewed by the Knicks about Okoro before the lottery.

“They’ve done their homework on him,” Pearl told The Post recently. “I didn’t get a read on it, but they’ve done their due diligence.”

ESPN’s college basketball maven, Seth Greenberg, sees a potential Jaylen Brown-type player in Okoro. Some have compared Okoro to Toronto’s wing, OG Onunoby.

“He’s a winner,’’ Greenberg told The Post. “He probably could defend 1-to-4 without an issue. He’s physically strong. He’s got a good floor game. You can post him up. He’s got some similarities to Jaylen. Physically strong, really defend and a toughness about him. High energy. Relentless work ethic. The thing I like the most is just his relentlessness.

“Jaylen Brown had the same question coming out of college, too, and he’s a good shooter now.”

The question could also be whether Okoro drops to No. 8.

“This draft [Okoro] gets consideration as high as No. 4,’’ one NBA personnel director told The Post. “He’s got NBA size, is an athlete with toughness and plays D. So he can get on the court fairly quickly. Coaches like that. After the top three, you can make a case for a lot of players.’’

The top three players figure to be Anthony Edwards, James Wiseman and LaMelo Ball, the latter being tops on president Leon Rose’s draft board.

Okoro guarded the opponent’s top scoring wing. The first one-and-doner in Auburn history averaged 12.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.0 assists and almost one steal a game. He shot 51.4 percent, but just 29 percent from 3. His baskets often came off his dribble-drives in the lane.

“In the Kentucky game, [Okoro] was the most physically imposing player on the floor,’’ Greenberg said. “He was tough to keep off the glass and out of the lane. His body is NBA-ready.”

The Knicks need to solidify their point-guard position, but if Okoro falls, they can use their second first-rounder on a point guard. The Knicks could trade up from No. 27 to nab speedy Kira Lewis (Alabama) or sharpshooter Aaron Nesmith (Vanderbilt), who also has some fans in the organization.

Plus, Rose will have his eye out in free agency and the trade market, where Ben Simmons of the Sixers and OKC’s Chris Paul could be available.

Meanwhile, Okoro, of Powder Springs, Ga., entered his freshman year with little buzz. In one national college preview, Okoro was the fifth Auburn forward mentioned but worked his way into a full-time starter. Pearl said he believes he’ll turn into a better shooter because he’s a gym rat.

The Sixers, ousted by the Celtics in a sweep Sunday, could well break up the core and look to deal either center Joel Embiid or Simmons. Embiid was Rose’s client at the Creative Artists Agency and it’s not hard to imagine him wanting a change of scenery to New York.

During All-Star Weekend, Embiid said of Rose, “Leon is my guy. He’s like family to me. When I heard the news, I was happy for him. He’s cool. Being an agent for such a long time and getting a GM or a president job I think is amazing. I’m so happy for him. I’m sure he’ll do a good job over there.”

It the position KP played and the fact that he was what we were building around.
    Today NBA is ran by a bunch of midget minded people who don't know real BB.
    If you don't or realized that the most important part of your building process just left the franchise. And you are talking about drafting a player with no... none reverent to the player that just left your team... How smart are you??

All of examples are mute point if that LF is hitting over 300 with 30 plus hrs and over a 100rbi`s.... When a SP only plays 2 days a week. So what your point again.
    Last edited by Dark Raider; Aug 25, 2020 at 15:39. Reason: spelling

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    https://nypost.com/2020/08/24/knicks...ntrigue-looms/

Knicks eyeing ‘relentless’ Isaac Okoro as NBA Draft option

M.Berman

He’s not a scoring point guard, he’s not even a good shooter. But he’s got a reputation for being a winner and defender — and that might be what the moribund Knicks need with their No. 8 draft pick.

According to an NBA source, Auburn’s 6-foot-6 small forward Isaac Okoro has support among Knicks brass as a consideration for the draft on Oct. 16.

If the Knicks decide to trade a shade back and obtain another asset, Okoro probably will be gone — which might be the route they choose.

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said his staff had been interviewed by the Knicks about Okoro before the lottery.

“They’ve done their homework on him,” Pearl told The Post recently. “I didn’t get a read on it, but they’ve done their due diligence.”

ESPN’s college basketball maven, Seth Greenberg, sees a potential Jaylen Brown-type player in Okoro. Some have compared Okoro to Toronto’s wing, OG Onunoby.

“He’s a winner,’’ Greenberg told The Post. “He probably could defend 1-to-4 without an issue. He’s physically strong. He’s got a good floor game. You can post him up. He’s got some similarities to Jaylen. Physically strong, really defend and a toughness about him. High energy. Relentless work ethic. The thing I like the most is just his relentlessness.

“Jaylen Brown had the same question coming out of college, too, and he’s a good shooter now.”

The question could also be whether Okoro drops to No. 8.

“This draft [Okoro] gets consideration as high as No. 4,’’ one NBA personnel director told The Post. “He’s got NBA size, is an athlete with toughness and plays D. So he can get on the court fairly quickly. Coaches like that. After the top three, you can make a case for a lot of players.’’

The top three players figure to be Anthony Edwards, James Wiseman and LaMelo Ball, the latter being tops on president Leon Rose’s draft board.

Okoro guarded the opponent’s top scoring wing. The first one-and-doner in Auburn history averaged 12.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.0 assists and almost one steal a game. He shot 51.4 percent, but just 29 percent from 3. His baskets often came off his dribble-drives in the lane.

“In the Kentucky game, [Okoro] was the most physically imposing player on the floor,’’ Greenberg said. “He was tough to keep off the glass and out of the lane. His body is NBA-ready.”

The Knicks need to solidify their point-guard position, but if Okoro falls, they can use their second first-rounder on a point guard. The Knicks could trade up from No. 27 to nab speedy Kira Lewis (Alabama) or sharpshooter Aaron Nesmith (Vanderbilt), who also has some fans in the organization.

Plus, Rose will have his eye out in free agency and the trade market, where Ben Simmons of the Sixers and OKC’s Chris Paul could be available.

Meanwhile, Okoro, of Powder Springs, Ga., entered his freshman year with little buzz. In one national college preview, Okoro was the fifth Auburn forward mentioned but worked his way into a full-time starter. Pearl said he believes he’ll turn into a better shooter because he’s a gym rat.

The Sixers, ousted by the Celtics in a sweep Sunday, could well break up the core and look to deal either center Joel Embiid or Simmons. Embiid was Rose’s client at the Creative Artists Agency and it’s not hard to imagine him wanting a change of scenery to New York.

During All-Star Weekend, Embiid said of Rose, “Leon is my guy. He’s like family to me. When I heard the news, I was happy for him. He’s cool. Being an agent for such a long time and getting a GM or a president job I think is amazing. I’m so happy for him. I’m sure he’ll do a good job over there.”
    Read the front office wants to keep the Embiid/Simmons pair together but that their managing partner Josh Harris said more changes are coming in that front office so I guess that tells you something about anything that front office tells you.

Elton Brand would be the first guy I look to dump in a front office reorganization but supposedly his job is safe but I wouldn’t get too comfortable if I were Brand.

Ty Lue the leading candidate for the HC job, that has to piss off Udoka, if he’s passed over. Maybe we can add him to Thibs staff if he leaves PHI.