2020 NBA Draft thread

tiger0330

Legend
Mafra, I don’t know, you’re down on the guy and I respect your opinion for sure and you make a good case but a lot of guys were thrilled with his selection. Rich Hamilton ex Piston was thrilled. Stephen A went off but only because he wanted Halliburton. I will add 8th picks don’t have a high rate of success either with Jamal Crawford being a notable exception along with him being a late bloomer at 22. Thibs won’t start him unless he plays defense so he’s going to battle Wooten for minutes, going to give him the benefit of doubt but Rose should have gone Halliburton with so many bigs on the Knicks.

LOL. Gary Parrish CBSSports gave us an A+ draft grade for Obi Toppin. mafra gives it an F-. Let?s average the grades and say it?s a C pick.

Reading some analysis that Avdija was overvalued because of people hoping to find next Luka Doncic. Analysts saying that Avdija is nowhere near the same level prospect as Doncic.

Sounds like major knocks on Tyrese Haliburton were that he is expected to be a secondary playmaker not a primary ball handler at the NBA level and that his upside is role player rather than star. Hence, why he slid all the way to #12.

mafra

Legend
My beef isn?t against Toppin. Sounds like a good kid, who wants to work.

He is ?most polished? kid in the draft, meaning he should be most NBA ready.

The other options weren?t screaming at us as obvious choices.

I just don?t think he?s a good fit with our roster, especially as a building block next to RJ and Mitch.

Now, all 3 Of our foundation pieces covet the same space to work. That?s not good. All want to have an open paint to drive down, but now all 3 don?t work together spacing wise.

Then you take his defense, which is borderline not NBA material. Reports are he won?t even be able to stay on court bc he cannot guard 1-4 types, bc he has zero lateral movement.

Toss in fact he had 0 schools recruit him, then grew 7 inches, and basically finally bursted on scene (after academic suspension) as a 21 and 22 year old at a mid major.

All of this meant too much risk, for my liking.

It?s just that we lack guards and have for eons!!! We have Randle, Portis, Knox....

And, what will coach do when Obi allows somebody to score 50? Bench him?

But, what really irked me was the fact Rose took a kid who is repped by his son. That just reeks to me.

I hope it works out. Maybe RJ, Mitch, Obi take turns on who gets to penetrate every other possession. Maybe if there were a Tourny last year, Obi makes us feel better about his talent.

We shall see. The die is cast. He?s a Knickerbocker now.

Is it ironic that the dude who went 27th, was the same KU C who scored 29 on Obi and abused him all game in the paint?

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Knicks also missed out on RJ Hampton and Vernon Carey Jr, and this really ticks me off.

When we traded back from 23 to 25, they should?ve taken Carey at 25 then Quickley at 33. Rose obviously wanted Vernon but played his cards wrong, bc his first priority was rewarding his pal Cal, and drafting his player in the first instead.

This was asinine and blew up in our face.

Dotson is better than Quickley and we all know how I feel about DD.

mafra

Legend
OK. I had almost a day to digest the disappointment. I?m gonna chalk up my viceral reaction to o the fact I have COVID and we waited 8 months for the draft.

Vassel and Haliburton CAA players too

Maybe Obi the next Pippen (he?s another guy who nobody wanted out of HS then grew 7 inches).

I?m gonna forget the roster fit, bc Rose is still reshaping.

I?m gonna root for fact that we have RJ and Toppin and Mitch and Knox and other young kids and Thibs will now be the star of the team.

It?s up to our guys to develop.

Who cares if Toppin is Amar?e on defense if he?s Amar?e on offense.

I said my peace and now I will root 1000 % that I was wrong. We NYK fans have our draft scars so we are allowed to act like idiots.

Just as others had to root for RJ, I will now be rooting for Toppin like he?s LJ.

I just hope we hit on a lottery pick once out of 10 tries.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks clean house including not picking up the contract of Dotson. Wooten was a surprise since he was only on a 2 way contract and flashed potential as a defensive stalwart along with an improving 3 pt shot. Sheds some light on the Toppin signing, they cleared that logjam they had in the front court.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Leon Rose cleaned house and is now loaded with cap space.
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]The Knicks president took a knife to Steve Mills? roster construction, cutting the following players either based on their exorbitant salaries or their lack of skill: Elfrid Payton, Taj Gibson, Wayne Ellington, Bobby Portis, Kenny Wooten and Theo Pinson.
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

mafra

Legend
Obi tells Serby:

I feel like I can be the best player in the world one day. I feel like with my drive and with everyone that I have around me now with the Knicks organization, they?re gonna push me every single day to be great. And I?m gonna take feedback from everybody and learn from every mistake that I ? nobody?s perfect, I know there?s gonna be mistakes here and there. So I?m gonna learn from it and get better from it and become a great player one day.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks clean house including not picking up the contract of Dotson. Wooten was a surprise since he was only on a 2 way contract and flashed potential as a defensive stalwart along with an improving 3 pt shot. Sheds some light on the Toppin signing, they cleared that logjam they had in the front court.

[FONT="][COLOR=#000000][FONT="]Leon Rose cleaned house and is now loaded with cap space.
[/FONT]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT="][COLOR=#000000][FONT="]The Knicks president took a knife to Steve Mills’ roster construction, cutting the following players either based on their exorbitant salaries or their lack of skill: Elfrid Payton, Taj Gibson, Wayne Ellington, Bobby Portis, Kenny Wooten and Theo Pinson.
[/FONT]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Cutting Taj Gibson the only Veteran-experience PF the Knicks have on their roster to mentor C-MitchRob improvement in a lineup was not a bright move by Rose.
MitchRob at center and Knox at SF need an all-around winning hustler like Taj Gibson at PF to guide them in a lineup for 15 to 20 minute per night in the upcoming season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Obi tells Serby:

I feel like I can be the best player in the world one day. I feel like with my drive and with everyone that I have around me now with the Knicks organization, they?re gonna push me every single day to be great. And I?m gonna take feedback from everybody and learn from every mistake that I ? nobody?s perfect, I know there?s gonna be mistakes here and there. So I?m gonna learn from it and get better from it and become a great player one day.

mafra

Legend
This makes more sense... NYK never had the 33rd pick.

Notes & quotes: The Knicks acquired the rights to Immanuel Quickley, the 25th pick in the draft; Mathias Lessort (who was the 50th pick in 2017) and a future second-round pick in a three-team trade with Oklahoma City and Minnesota. The Knicks sent the rights to Leandro Bolmaro, the 23rd pick, to Minnesota.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Quickley was a high pick but I gotta say, after all these years of seeing every single Kentucky guard turn into a stud, I can't be upset that we finally drafted one