2020-2021 NY Knicks

Knicks did not want to include Knox in deal for Derrick Rose raising suspicion that separate deal involving Knox is forthcoming.

Not sure about the credibility, but it is being reported that at least one team has reached out to the Knicks about the availability of Elfrid Payton.

Derrick Rose likely not eligible to play tonight because DSJ has yet to pass his physical in Detroit to make things official.

Quickley said that Rose has already made a point of offering to help him and Toppin with Thibs? system.

Broadway

All Star
Good point Maf, Rose was likely getting waived and we gave up assets for him. I mean if he was that important we could've pulled the trigger in the offseason, he'd have 20+ gms as a Knick already. I'm certain some in the front office didn't want to do the trade then but Thibs made sure to force the org's hand via sabotage. I believe it's also a reason Thibs wouldn't start IQ for it would've made it more challenging to justify trading for Rose who he's wanted all along. Don't be surprised if Rose ends up starting after 10gms or so

WOW just WOW!!!

Thibs the same guy who 2 weeks ago said it would be good for DSJ to go down to the G-League and get minutes for him and the Knicks...lol he didn't play one game. I'm pretty much off Thibs now and how sad for I figured he'd be a much different coach this time around

The DSJ trade sets value for Knits and Knox...if we don't play them no way we get more than what Detroit gave us

"Initially"...LOL

This organization and team makes it so easy sometimes to see the crap they try and pull with fans. Why is it "Initially" and why wouldn't it apply to Quickley?

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I said it before the season started, that our new rookie Quickley has the skills to take a lot of RJ Barrett's minutes this upcoming season.
As the Knicks season started, Payton & Burks did very well in the starter lineup before Burks caught a so-call injury that side line him. RJ was'nt doing well at the SF position as a starter. When RJ went back to being our starter SG, Payton started to look shady at the PG spot.
The number one player in the Knicks starter lineup that needed to be replace by Quickley was RJ Barrett. Not Payton!
I kept wondering why fans wanted Thibs to replace Payton in the starter lineup with Quickley, when Quickley played well beside Payton, DSJ, Frank, and Rivers.
.There's a good reason why Quickley was drafted as a SG, and played the SG position in college.

Was Thibs smart in bringing D.Rose to the party? Recall we wanted D.Rose to switch to the SG position the last time he was a Knicks.

Internet going crazy because ESPN has Knicks at #15 in their Power Rankings. Has to be the highest Knicks have been ranked since 2013.

Someone at ESPN thinks we?re a ?top half? team. Hard to believe given that our franchise is their number one punching bag.

Broadway

All Star
Geeeezzz what a concept playing young talent so it can develop and get better 🙄🙄🙄

Maybe the major pro in the trade is Rose taking on a responsibility that should?ve already been here since the KP rebuild. Real leadership and focus on building up young players confidence and not destroying it

Keep proving me wrong D-Rose I won?t hate

I mean what are coaches and assistant coaches for if they aren?t truly coaching EVERYONE?

mafra

Legend
What a pickup D-Rose has been, simply for the fact that he?s invested in developing the kids and establishing a winning culture. A total 180 turnaround from his first time here, when perhaps Melo and KP had him envisioning a title run, only to find out Melo at odds with front office, KP wants to party, and team had no leadership from coaching.

Rose and MRob injury a true blessing for Obi. I hope he runs with it and makes me look foolish!!!

Knicks game against Spurs has reportedly been postponed due to multiple COVID positives on the Spurs.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
What a pickup D-Rose has been, simply for the fact that he?s invested in developing the kids and establishing a winning culture. A total 180 turnaround from his first time here, when perhaps Melo and KP had him envisioning a title run, only to find out Melo at odds with front office, KP wants to party, and team had no leadership from coaching.

Rose and MRob injury a true blessing for Obi. I hope he runs with it and makes me look foolish!!!

Drose is still title hunting and sounds like he has gotten his idiot brother out of his life who messed him up here in Chicago. Drose has made plenty of $$$ thru his career and has matured greatly!!! Dusted off my Knicks Drose jersey and tees ready for duty!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks 2nd unit has a dynamic trio of guards (Rose Quickley Burks), their clicking together plus having offensive-scoring burst at times that's been outscoring the majority of their Knicks opponent since the arrival of Rose.
I have to take my hat off to Bullock & Noel 2-way hustle performance in the Knicks last 3 games.
Randle had an ALL-Star performance in all 3 of the Knicks last games.
Obi Toppin performance has been looking brighter, and Thibs been rewarding him with more playing-time.

NYK looking into a deal for Andre Drummond. Frank and a second rounder type swap

I?m on the fence. Drummond is impressive statistically but not entirely sure he will help us win games. Also depends on how long MRob will be out. If MRob is back in a month, seeing him forced to the bench is going to be a tough pill for fans to swallow.

On the flip side, Thibs is never going to play Ntilikina so getting someone he would play would be nice.

I?ll say this much, any window to trade for Zach LaVine is long gone. He dropped another 35 tonight. No way Chicago is trading him now, if they ever were even considering trading him.

mafra

Legend
He?s a free agent after next season, so if CHI feels like they can?t or won?t sign him to another deal, the time to trade him is during the offseason (to get most value). To trade him next deadline, he would be a rental and not being you as nice of a return....

Now, if they?ve already reached the conclusion that he won?t be part of their 2022-2023 roster, then the time to strike is now...

I mean, the flip side of the coin... when will has value be any higher?

But, of course, if they want to keep him and will max him out... then he?s borderline untouchable.

How about Monk lately? Frank? Imagine if he scored 29!

mafra

Legend
Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau said on Thursday that the team will continue to focus on developing Obi Toppin as a power forward.
With Mitchell Robinson (hand) sidelined, it was mentioned last week that Toppin could be used in a manner similar to how he was at Dayton. But the rookie, who has struggled to earn consistent rotation minutes, won't be used at the center position anytime soon based upon Thibodeau's comments. "He?s still a work in progress," Thibodeau said. "I think he?s learning the league. I think Julius (Randle) has played more center than he has, so when he?s played with Julius he?s been more of the power forward. Him learning one position right now is probably better in terms of his overall development and growth. At some point we will get a look at that as well." Toppin's fantasy value remains unchanged as a result, with there being no reason to roster him in most leagues.

mafra

Legend
Possible NYK targets/deals that are realistic for Thibbs:

Andre Drummond: Mount Vernon native, age fits our roster timeline, and would fit well with Randle. With Mitch and Obi, this would be a move to sacrifice winning now over development. And, this almost makes trading MRob an inevitable outcome. I would pass. We need shooting more than rebounding/interior toughness.

JJ Redick: Could possibly represent the best 3-point option available (on the cheap). He has mentioned he wants Knicks or Nets, if released. If released, or if comes at price of Austin Rivers... then I?m all for it. Otherwise, his best days behind him.

Kyle Lowry: Impending free agent on the block. A massive upgrade over EP. he probably prefers a contender.... and the time for this trade was when we had Melo, but Dolan vetoed it.

Lonzo Ball: I think this could be a good deal, if limited to Knox-Knits package. I am intrigued but not willing to part with major assets for LB.

Oladipo or Wall: Wall makes too much, both are damaged goods. But Knox for Oladipo is interesting, no?

McCullum or Fornier? Sleeper SG snipers that would help and may not cost as much as the next group:

Booker, KAT, Zach Lavine or Bradley Beal: The present ?pie in the sky? dream. More likely, a deal like this made during Summer. Longest of long shots, and TBH.... probably costs you RJ and/or Mitch.

Would Beal, Randle, Drummond do much to move the needle in the EC?

Kevin Love, John Collins, KP: Don?t even mentioned brining in another PF!

Last edited:

welcometonycity

Rotation player
I would trade MRob its year 3 what you see is what you get. We should trade for Drummond or another big to pair with Randle if we want to win NOW. Frank and Knox are both good trade assets and can both be rotational players in this league. With the trade picks we have and the 10 man rotation that Thibs runs we have some valuable trade assets and hopefully are buyers before the deadline.