Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Atlanta Hawks 1/4/2021 7:30 pm [Game #7]

Good news is that we just had a 3 - 1 road trip.

Quickley scored 16 points in 19 minutes. Already showing more than we?ve seen from a rookie PG in a long time.

Bad news? Randle and RJ are #1 and #2 in minutes played per game in the NBA so far. How long can they keep this up? I hope all season.

mafra

Legend
In a quick spurt, IQ hit a floating 17-footer, a lean-in 3, and wisely forced a foul initiating contact.

RJ and IQ in 3-4 years will be a force to be reckoned with.

Effort and Intelligence goes a long way, especially during the grind of the NBA season...

On radio broadcast afterwards, they said this is first time NYK are above .500 after the first game of the season. Last time they were above .500 was 12/2017.

Kiyaman

Legend

Quickley scored 16 points in 19 minutes. Already showing more than we’ve seen from a rookie PG in a long time.

Bad news? Randle and RJ are #1 and #2 in minutes played per game in the NBA so far. How long can they keep this up? I hope all season.

Last season under Fiz, both Randle & Barret were leading the league for the most minute played.
Randle's consistent good performance in the last 7 games are what the Lakers were looking for from Randle when they draft him 7th in 2014.
Barrett finally played two consistent games well for the big role the Knicks management gave him last season.

The dynamic rookie Quickley we need to stay healthy to win the ROY award from his creative team-ball performance. I like the idea of an experience Rivers & rookie Quickley as our tandem guards coming off the bench to add energy to the lineup while running the point.
Tonight the Hawks became baffle each time on the defensive-end in the 4th qtr. by not knowing which Knick (Rivers, IQ, Randle, or Barrett) are gonna run the point, and which Knick will be the scorer (Randle Barrett, Knox, or Quickley) the final 8 min of the game. Great 4th qtr. plan by Coach Thibs to grab a tight win in crunch-time.

mafra

Legend
Tweet

NY_KnicksPR
@NY_KnicksPR
?
1h
Before tonight?s performances by Julius Randle and RJ Barrett, the last Knicks duo to each post at least 25 points, 10 rebounds and five assists in a game was Lonnie Shelton and Bob McAdoo at Milwaukee on Dec. 16, 1977.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks have little big-man depth with Obi Toppin and Omari Spellman out and got dealt a blow when Nerlens Noel was ruled out with an ankle sprain. Noel was not on the injury report.

That forced Randle into major minutes (43). With Randle dominating inside and the Knicks attacking the rim, the club dominated the paint. Twelve of their first 14 points were in the paint. The Knicks starters built an early 24-14 capped by a beautiful feed from Payton to Barrett for a fast-break dunk put the Knicks up 10.

Asked why he stuck with Quickley in the fourth, Thibodeau said:

?He can shoot. Just the way he approaches the game, attitude, approach. He has that one skill that opens everything up. Every day he?s getting better and better. When you?re as intelligent as him he picks up things quickly. We were searching and struggling and found a group and rode with it.??

mafra

Legend
Not only was this a 3-1 road trip... they went into CLE who was 3-1 or something and beat 2 EC playoff caliber dawgs in Indy and ATL.

Broadway

All Star
Are the Knicks really good?

I picked them to be the surprise team on Twitter 3 weeks ago and they?re making me look good

Broadway

All Star

Quickley scored 16 points in 19 minutes. Already showing more than we?ve seen from a rookie PG in a long time.

Thibs will wear his horses out...we?ll see

mafra

Legend
The grind will eventually get these cats, at some point. It usually does, to most guys.

And, we all are aware of Thibbs penchant to keep a tight rotation.

We were told to consider 2 things:

1) Thibbs is always adapting as a coach, and is willing to assimilate, refurbish, and incorporate new ideas and ways and means of operations...

2) Our biggest strength, with regards to our roster construction, is our depth.

These 2 things were reasons we should keep an open mind on Thibbs use of his rotations.... OK...

Now, the team was off for 9 months, while 2/3 of the league were gathered in a bubble then sent home for a few weeks rest before giving it a go again.

Not to mention the youthful makeup of our squad....

Toss in injuries and a non-existent training camp....

Keep in mind of the teams we?ve faced so far....

RJ is 20 and his legs are NBA fresh....

Randle in his prime and trained for months preparing for this role...

These 2 don?t have an injury history... With everything that?s been going on to get them to this point....

Is this indicative of Thibbs? Who he is, based on a large sample size to synthesize?

Or, is he simply in the moment, establishing a culture and M.O. He sees Randle and RJ has his pillars, his stalwarts? Are they just ahead of everybody else?

What?s happening in practice? In meetings? How are the players adapting to Thibbs?

We shall see, but if fully healthy, as we get about 20 games under their belt... I think the rotation will involve 11 players:

Randle
RJ
Rivers
IQ
Bullock
Burks
Robinson
Noel
Knox
Frank
Toppin

Of course, it should be noted, that it?s up to Toppin and Frank to get themselves more involved. I think Frank will do enough, both Practicing and producing, that he will warrant time with the second unit. Toppin, bc of draft status, will also be afforded a role... but he?ll be on a short lease. Still, I believe he?ll be in tune during practice that he will earn time.

Omar? DSJ? Izzy? Harper? Good luck!

mafra

Legend
4 of next 5 at home:

Utah
OKC
Den
@CHA
Nets

Is it crazy to ask for 3-2! Up overall record to 7-5?

Notice the minutes of RJ and Randle.
Notice the tight rotation. only 8 players played last night.
** Did anyone notice Randle limping at the end of the game.
*** RJ can't defend my dead grandmother. This is pitiful that you would play him that many minute with such poor defensive play. He leaves his man or he is behind his man in 99% of defensive plays. There was one play at the end of the game against Reddish that he get a hand up the shot went in and out. So I guess he get credit for a good defensive play.