home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksCleveland Cavaliers
Reggie Bullock - Sore left knee (QUEST)Collin Sexton - Left ankle sprain (OUT)
Frank Ntilikina - Sprained right knee (OUT)Darius Garland - Right shoulder sprain (OUT)
Alec Burks - sprained left ankle (Not-With-Team)Kevin Love - Right calf strain (OUT)
-Kevin Porter Jr - Personal reasons (OUT)
-Dylan Windler - Left hand fracture (OUT)
-Matthew Dellavedova - Head concussion (OUT)
-Andre Drummond - Right achilles contusion (PROB)

Game Preview

Prior to their first meeting of the season on Dec. 29, the Cleveland Cavaliers and New York Knicks each looked as if they were trying to author the early chapter of a surprise NBA success story.

But the Cavaliers and Knicks will be trying to avoid slipping into a familiar and well-worn tale Friday night, when Cleveland is scheduled to host New York in a battle of slumping teams.

The Cavaliers and Knicks, who won the fewest and second-fewest games in the NBA, respectively, the previous two seasons, both enter Friday in the midst of losing streaks that have dropped them under .500 and threatened to undo their early-season progress.

The Cavaliers suffered their third straight defeat Tuesday, when they lost to the Utah Jazz, 117-87. The Knicks' losing streak reached four games Wednesday, when they fell to the visiting Brooklyn Nets, 116-109.

Prior to Tuesday's game, coach J.B. Bickerstaff said the struggling and injury-ridden Cavaliers needed to focus on achieving small victories. But the loss to the Jazz was the seventh in the last nine games for Cleveland as well as the ninth straight time it has been held under 100 points -- a span that began with a 95-86 loss to the Knicks.

With eight players sidelined Tuesday -- including the top three of the team's top six scorers in Colin Sexton, Kevin Love and Darius Garland -- Bickerstaff emphasized the long-term nature of what he is trying to instill with the Cavaliers following the second LeBron James era.

"There's an acceptance of the reality and the idea of trying to do what's best, no matter what," Bickerstaff said. "There's a bought-in group. They're trying to go out and do the right things, compete and play the right way. They're still bought into that."

The Knicks, who didn't score more than 89 points in the first three games of their losing streak, showed signs of breaking out of their offensive funk Wednesday when they scored 33 fourth-quarter points. It was the most prolific quarter for New York since a 34-point fourth quarter in a 112-100 win over the Jazz on Jan. 6.

But defense-minded head coach Tom Thibodeau was less pleased with the offense than he was frustrated with the Knicks' performance on defense. The 116 points by the undermanned Nets, who had just nine players in uniform following the blockbuster acquisition of James Harden from the Houston Rockets, marked the second-most points scored against New York this season.

"Disappointed that we could have played better defensively, yes, but more determined to get it right," Thibodeau said. "I like the fight we showed at the end, but it was too late. We got in too big of a hole. We have to get back to work."

The Cavaliers, who were part of the four-way Harden trade along with the Indiana Pacers, are likely to receive some reinforcements by Friday night. Taurean Prince and Jarrett Allen, who were acquired by Cleveland from Brooklyn, should be in uniform against the Knicks.
--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

tiger0330

Legend
Good D by the Cavs on the first offensive Knicks possession forcing the Knicks to take a shot late in the shot clock. Dotson plays PnR with Drum for a layup for the first Cavs points. Maybe not the laugher I thought it would be.

Broadway

All Star
Like the first bucket RJ shot, he got to the basket off the dribble and then shot back-to-back 3s and converted one. Gotta try and make your first basket be a confidence booster

tiger0330

Legend
Good to see Obi Toppin back on the court.
Too early to judge most of the young guys but I was a Halliburton fan over Obi. His shot has translated so far at the next level and that slight frame of his has not been a weakness so far.

tiger0330

Legend
8-0 run by Cavs has them up 49-46, highlighted by Nance running a break with a nice bounce pass to Osman for an easy 2.

tiger0330

Legend
CLE up 57-55 at the half. Cavs 22 FTs to Knicks 7 the difference with Drum hitting his FTs belying that career 49% FT % of his. Not happy with the Cavs being short handed and the Knicks down to the Cavs.

tiger0330

Legend
Cedi now killing the Knicks with 23 pts in the 3rd. Quick stops the bleeding for the moment with a 3 and JR follows with another to cut the Cav lead to 6 from 12.

mafra

Legend
RJ sinks 2 FTs then hits a huge shot as shot clock expires, to keep NYK close... thenC with 1:30 left, NYK have ball down 1....

Then RJ tries to dribble between his legs, loses ball, Randle fouls CLE and a clear path is called... 1 point lead balloons to 5 and game over. Awful! 2 bonehead decisions from our 2 main players and we lose to a terrible Cavs teams.

Folks, we are one of the worst teams in NBA and 5 game losing streak is simply a sign of things to come the next 2 months.

Fortunately, since this team is unwatchable right now, I didn?t watch a single second. Just listened to final 4 minutes.