Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Miami Heat 7/2/2021 1:00 pm [Game #25]

Broadway

All Star
Randle continues to play well but both RJ and Payton failed to show up today. No magic from Quickley. Bullock scored a bunch of points but it took him shooting 14 3-point attempts to do it.

Toppin with 7 points and 4 boards in 10 minutes. He has made 7 out of his last 13 shots. Problem again is that it took him 4 games to get those 13 shots.

When is this guy going to get a chance to play? Our offense is overall weak and Toppin is offense waiting to happen.

Here?s one play Toppin was wide open if they lob it. Unfortunately in Thibs system IQ was 36ft from the basket trying to set up something patty cakish with Randle I believe. Wasn?t looking for him and didn?t see him...SIGH!!!

mafra

Legend
IQ routinely missed an open Obi all afternoon. Hahn on radio saying this move probably supplants Rivers from the rotation....

Knicks last on offense, first on defense...

This moves adds scoring to the second unit, and helps Randle at end of games. He can create his own offense. And, he won?t have to learn the system and defensive expectations.

Don?t love trade, but I can buy this reasoning. If it costs IQ or RJ minutes, this is a terrible move.

This is why Toppin is probably going to do the slam dunk contest. At least there he is guaranteed to get to touch the ball.

Broadway

All Star
IQ routinely missed an open Obi all afternoon. Hahn on radio saying this move probably supplants Rivers from the rotation....

Knicks last on offense, first on defense...

This moves adds scoring to the second unit, and helps Randle at end of games. He can create his own offense. And, he won’t have to learn the system and defensive expectations.

Don’t love trade, but I can buy this reasoning. If it costs IQ or RJ minutes, this is a terrible move.

All it means Rose gets free reign to play with little comp from 2nd unit. Some of his minutes will overlap with starters. Do the Math in terms of FGA between Rose/IQ/Burks/Barrett/Randle/Bullock/Payton. I'l leave Robinson/Toppin/Gibson out of the mix. Someone in the former group is getting mitigated game-to-game and Thibs said after the game today concerning PT if they don't play well, players aren't getting minutes....YIKES!!!

We're definitely saying no minutes AT ALL for Knits and Knox

Broadway

All Star
This is why Toppin is probably going to do the slam dunk contest. At least there he is guaranteed to get to touch the ball.

He seriously shouldn't go if invited but I understand he's young, he wants to be a part of something. It's done nothing for any of our young players participating in recent yrs. I want him strictly focused on becoming a better pro, not being some side attraction as if he's in a circus

Kiyaman

Legend
RJ wasn't good today he missed some defensive assignments and Thibs barked him to the bench. He should've let the kid work out his issues, he won't be special every game. The Heat are a hard team to guard, their perimeter players are constantly moving

The Miami Heats 2nd season player Nunn & Herro dynamics on offense/defense were to much for RJ, Payton, and Rivers combine shooting 6-23 FG attempts (Embarrass-Performance) today.
Where's Frank ???
Our Knicks last 10 games performance scream we need to put Frank in the rotation for 20 minute, instead of Rivers, or cut down on Payton's minutes for Frank.
I would rather see Frank on the court GELLIN with Quickley on offense/defense for 7 or more minutes straight in a lineup to build passing-chemistry among teammates .. win or loss .. building team-ball in the 2nd-unit is a good thang.