home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksOrlando Magic
Mitchell Robinson - Right hand surgery (OUT)James Ennis - Right groin strain (QUEST)
Frank Ntilikina - Health and safety protocols (PROB)Al-Farouq Aminu - Right knee management (QUEST)
-Evan Fournier - Back issues (QUEST)
-Cole Anthony - Non-displaced fracture right first rib (OUT)
-Aaron Gordon - Ankle injury (OUT)
-Markelle Fultz - Knee injury (OUT)
-Jonathan Isaac - Knee injury (OUT) (QUEST)

Game Preview

RJ Barrett and Immanuel Quickley were teenagers the last time the New York Knicks were at the .500 mark at least 30 games into a season.

On Wednesday night, the promising youngsters will try to help the Knicks take their next step in a surprisingly swift march to respectability when New York visits the Orlando Magic.

The Knicks moved within a game of .500 by earning their third straight win Monday night, when Julius Randle scored 44 points in a 123-112 victory over the visiting Atlanta Hawks. The Magic ended a four-game trip Sunday with a 109-90 loss to the Phoenix Suns.

Barrett (21 points) and Quickley (16 points) were the second- and third-leading scorers Monday as New York improved to 14-15 and moved into sixth place in the Eastern Conference.

The Knicks, who haven't reached the playoffs since 2013, can get to .500 this late in the schedule for the first time since Dec. 30, 2017, when they were 18-18 following a 105-103 win over the New Orleans Pelicans.

The Knicks went just 11-35 the remainder of the season before going 17-65 in 2018-19 and 21-45 during the pandemic-shortened 2019-20 campaign, when they didn't get to 15 wins until the 51st game.

But first-year Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau's emphasis on defense and discipline has paid immediate dividends for New York, which has allowed an NBA-low 103.6 points per game this season.

"(Thibodeau's) attention to detail is unbelievable," Randle said Monday night. "We go into games so prepared, like every game is a playoff game. That's how good he is. He's a complete culture-changer for sure. He's held everyone accountable. We're all enjoying the process."

Enjoyment has been in short supply lately for Orlando, which opened the season 6-2 but is just 4-16 since Markelle Fultz suffered a season-ending knee injury Jan. 6.

The injuries have continued to pile up for Orlando, which had just eight players available Sunday. James Ennis was sidelined with a groin injury suffered last Friday while Al-Farouq Aminu (hamstring) and Cole Anthony (shoulder) also were out. Frank Mason, who replaced Anthony as the starting point guard, hurt his groin Thursday and was released a day later. On Sunday, the Magic started 30-year-old Terrence Ross at point guard -- his first start since Nov. 25, 2017.

The Magic trailed wire-to-wire Sunday but managed to cut a 26-point fourth-quarter deficit to 14. Orlando took some solace in its defensive performance on a road trip in which it went 1-3 while allowing 112 points or less in every game against the Suns, Portland Trail Blazers and Golden State Warriors -- all of whom occupied a playoff spot entering play Tuesday -- and the Sacramento Kings.

"These last four games, particularly in terms of having a way to play that will give us a chance to be more consistent -- except for early in the year when we had everybody -- these are the best four games that we've played," Magic coach Steve Clifford said Sunday night. "Good teams, on the road. Even (Sunday) we made the run to put their starters back in. The first three games, we put ourselves in position to win."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady .... Thanks for the Game-Thread .. We have the chance to become a .500 team tonight.
Get this WIN Coach Thibs .. Coach of the Year !!!

rady

Administrator
Staff member
This is a must-win game and hopefully i'll wake up with some great highlights!

mafra

Legend
Big test for Knicks. Going for 4 straight... they have to beat a banged up ORL, if they want to be taken seriously as a 6-10 seed type team.

No excuses! Get ERrrr done

Kiyaman

Legend
Oh shat .. we playing down to the Magics level of the game .. dont look like we gonna have a 60+ pts half on a team that has half its roster injured.
Half-Time .... Knicks 56 - Magics 53

We gonna need a lot of ball-movement in the 2nd half, and more movement without the ball for the Magics free-lance rotation.
Why didn't Leon/Thibs try to trade for Bama when Magic had him on the trading-block ???

Kiyaman

Legend
Ah, RJ finally picked up on Payton favorite move in completing a layup .. we need more of RJ hard-hustle tonight if we gonna hold this game down

Kiyaman

Legend
The Magics playing relentless defense, and our starters are shook .. time to put in the bench players Thibs

mafra

Legend
To start the 4th, ORL has a 24-2 edge in points of turnover. Knicks missing a ton of 3s...

This is all about effort folks. NYK did not treat this as a must-win, so they will lose to a bottom feeder. Now, watch WC teams come to NY and beat us... we will be 5 under before March

Tonight a disgrace... Akin to that list in CLE earlier this season.

We are frauds!!!!

mafra

Legend
36-16 run so far in second half. Sad truth is as soon as news broke Evan F was playing, I knew this was a big fat L.

Kiyaman

Legend
We freaking suck on everything.
Can't grab a rebound, can’t pass, can’t score, can’t defend. What a pathetic showing tonight.

Broadway

All Star
The offense maybe more of an aberration tonight but say in the next 5gms the teams plays subpar particularly the 2nd unit

What would we suggest be done?

The Knox thing is kind of tacky by Thibs to be honest