Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Orlando Magic 2/17/2021 7:00 pm [Game #30]

mafra

Legend
T-Ross outscores our entire bench by himself. A night like tonight makes you question why Frank-Knox-Ob1 combine for a grand total of 13 minutes played. We couldn?t sit Burks and a Bullock in the 4th?

mafra

Legend
Knicks almost established a league worst. Their 33 second half points 3 more than record this season in NBA (30), for worst offensive half in NBA.

Kiyaman

Legend
Rose and IQ 2-22 shooting.

WOW! 2-22 FG shooting from two of your (First-Option) players spells out a team-LOSS !!!
To many Knicks players (Payton, RJ, Randle, Rose, Quickley) played ISO-HERO-ball tonight.
I guess .500 Knicks B.ball are still a DREAM !!!

Broadway

All Star
I miss that .. what he say ???

Was asked why he didn?t go back to RJ sooner and said he had hope the bench unit would spark the team as they have in other gms, he left them in(rolling eyes)

So when scoring was hard to come by, he didn?t deem it necessary to go one of the team?s high scorers?

RJ is averaging 34 minutes per game this season. A few weeks ago, fans were complaining that Thibs was going to ruin RJ by playing him too many minutes. Tonight he plays 27 minutes and fans complaining he didn?t play enough minutes.

I?m all for going back to playing RJ more minutes, but I?m guessing some fans are going to complain about Thibs no matter what he does.

In the same vein, Thibs probably should have pulled the plug on Quickley (and Rose) sooner, but then fans would complain about how he?s not giving Quickley minutes.

mafra

Legend
Every team is allowed a stinker now and then. It?s happening this year all across the NBA.

This team has responded to adversity this year well. With a few days off to practice, let?s see if they regroup and rally to beat MIN with KAT!

This is a clunker and the tape should be burned.

Broadway

All Star
RJ is averaging 34 minutes per game this season. A few weeks ago, fans were complaining that Thibs was going to ruin RJ by playing him too many minutes. Tonight he plays 27 minutes and fans complaining he didn’t play enough minutes.

I’m all for going back to playing RJ more minutes, but I’m guessing some fans are going to complain about Thibs no matter what he does.

In the same vein, Thibs probably should have pulled the plug on Quickley (and Rose) sooner, but then fans would complain about how he’s not giving Quickley minutes.

First of all RJ never should've been playing high 30s min/gm, that's the point fit Knox/Toppin/Knits/IQ in there more based on rotation replacement and matchups. You almost had me sold until I looked at the minutes distributed since the D-Rose trade. Take a guess who's minutes have declined significantly of the starters Payton/Bullock/Randle/RJ by nearly 10min/gm?

The most miniscule of uptick for IQ and Toppin while the rest of the roster stayed flat with exception to slight decreases of about 2 players. Gibson got Knox minutes and D-Rose ate into Rivers and guess who's minutes?

RJ is the 2nd leading scorer on the team btw

Last edited:
First of all RJ never should've been playing high 30s min/gm, that's the point fit Knox/Toppin/Knits/IQ in there more based on rotation replacement and matchups. You almost had me sold until I looked the minutes distributed since the D-Rose trade. Take a guess who's minutes have declined significantly of the starters Payton/Bullock/Randle/RJ by nearly 10min/gm?

The most miniscule of uptick for IQ and Toppin while the rest of the roster stayed flat with exception to slight decreases of about 2 players. Gibson got Knox minutes and D-Rose ate into Rivers and guess who's minutes?

RJ is the 2nd leading scorer on the team btw

2 games ago against Atlanta, RJ played 33 minutes. I guess I don?t see an obvious trend with the small sample size. The 2 games before that, RJ still got 20+ minutes and in both those games he stunk.

Broadway

All Star
2 games ago against Atlanta, RJ played 33 minutes. I guess I don’t see an obvious trend with the small sample size. The 2 games before that, RJ still got 20+ minutes and in both those games he stunk.

Looks like the sample size shows RJ is scheduled to play under 30min/gm(26-27min) while no one else on the team, minutes have changed as much accordingly aside from Knox and Rivers axed out of rotation. Yeah he sat him when he had a tough go but didn't do the same for Payton. Many would like Thibs to do the same when other players aren't playing well is all. He should stick with the guy longer who got us off to a good start this season

Looks like the sample size shows RJ is scheduled to play under 30min/gm(26-27min) while no one else on the team, minutes have changed as much accordingly aside from Knox and Rivers axed out of rotation. Yeah he sat him when he had a tough go but didn't do the same for Payton. Many would like Thibs to do the same when other players aren't playing well is all. He should stick with the guy longer who got us off to a good start this season

Agree. I want RJ to get consistent minutes. I?m just not convinced Thibs is anti-RJ yet. I think it?s been mainly a coincidence so far. I guess we?ll see.

mafra

Legend
The odd part is this is now 2 Fourth Q?s Thibbs has ?benched? RJ lately, and yet in another game he draws a play for him to tie it?

Kiyaman

Legend

RJ never was a 30 minute player, but the Magic 6.7 defensive guards should've had Thibs let Payton & RJ play 32 minute, plus add Knox slashing and perimeter shooting instead of Bullock's hustle in the 2nd half. Noel & Bullock was a big disappointment in the 2nd half of the Magics game.
Rose & IQ had no ball-movement in the 2nd unit lineup letting the Magic's guards length outscore on them pitifully throughout the 2nd-half of the game.
The Magic shot 47% from the 3 ball line, while the Knicks shot 29 % from 3's.

Frank & Knox should've got minutes in the Magic Game.

Kiyaman

Legend
I don't feel so bad bout the Knicks loss to the Magics, after watching Magics coach Clifford put together a 4th qtr. rotation to bully the GSW for a crunch-time win.

I still believe we should develop rookie Quickley & Frank in the backcourt this season to have length, speed, and quickness.