Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Golden State Warriors 23/2/2021 7:30 pm [Game #32]

rady

Administrator
Staff member

gt.png

GSW.gif
at.png
NYK.gif

(16-15) -- (15-16)

VenueTVTIME
Madison Square Garden, New York, NYMSG7:30 PM EST

Probable starters:

away.png
i
i
i
i
i

home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Golden State WarriorsNew York Knicks
Marquese Chriss - Right syndesmosis with a fibular fracture injury (OUT)Mitchell Robinson - Fractured right hand (OUT)
Klay Thompson - Right Achilles tendon repair (OUT)Austin Rivers - Illness (QUEST)
Stephen Curry - Illness (QUEST)Nerlens Noel - Sore left ankle (PROB)
Kevon Looney - Left ankle sprain (QUEST)-
James Wiseman - Left wrist sprain (QUEST)-
Nico Mannion G League - Two-way (NWT)-
Jordan Poole G League assignment (NWT)-
Alen Smailagić G League assignment (NWT)-

Game Preview

The New York Knicks take their improved play of late up against a highly motivated team when they host the Golden State Warriors on Tuesday night.

Despite having lost starting center Mitchell Robinson to a broken hand, the Knicks have won four of five, including a 103-99 home triumph over Minnesota on Sunday.

Robinson played a key role in a 119-104 win at Golden State on Jan. 21, recording 18 points, eight rebounds and two blocks.

On the third stop of a four-game trip, the Warriors will be not only seeking to gain a measure of revenge for the earlier defeat, but also put the frustrations of two straight tough defeats in the rear-view mirror.

After blowing a 13-point, fourth-quarter lead at Orlando on Friday, the Warriors saw a five-point advantage in the final minute turn into a disastrous 102-100 loss at Charlotte on Saturday.

Thanks in large part to 25 points from Kelly Oubre Jr. and double-figure scoring from three reserves on an illness- and injury-shortened bench, Golden State appeared primed to overcome the absence of Stephen Curry and pull out a win against the Hornets.

But a turnover by Brad Wanamaker with a chance to run out the clock, two technical fouls on Draymond Green and a buzzer-beating jumper by Terry Rozier conspired to send the Warriors to a defeat for which Green apologized for two days later in New York.

"I was ... wrong," Green assured the media about his two-technical ejection with 9.3 seconds remaining on Monday. "I'm still a bit disappointed in myself."

The good news for the Warriors is they've played some of their best basketball of the season when attempting to avoid a third straight loss. They've gone 4-0 under those circumstances, including road wins over the Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio.

Golden State expects Curry back from an upset stomach that ruined his annual homecoming in Charlotte. Warriors big men James Wiseman (sprained wrist) and Kevon Looney (sprained ankle) could join Curry on the court, as both are considered game-time decisions after participating in practice Monday.

The Warriors will welcome any additional help up front to deal with the Knicks' Julius Randle, who had 16 points and 17 rebounds in the earlier meeting in San Francisco.

Randle has scored 22 or more points in 12 of the 15 games since seeing the Warriors, including averaging 28 during the Knicks' run of four wins in five games.

On top of everything else, Randle has gotten his 3-point game rolling in his last three outings, making 12 of 24.

Interestingly, Randle will find out if he's been selected to the All-Star team shortly before tipoff on Tuesday when the non-starters are announced on a national telecast. He has never earned the honor in his career.

"I think the numbers speak for themselves, but there are a lot of players who have similar-type numbers," Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau noted last week about Randle, who began play Monday ranked 21st in the NBA in scoring (23.2), 12th in rebounds (11.0) and 27th in assists (5.5).

"But I think when you look at the impact on winning, that's where he's separated himself. To do what he's doing for this team, we wouldn't be where we are. He's our engine. So I hope that's recognized."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady .... Thanks for the Game-Thread, we will have a brutal fight for a win tonight against a .500 GSW team that loss their last 2 games .. Draymond Green Technical foul down stretch that insured the Hornets a win over GSW, will use every thing in his triple-double arsenals for a GSW win tonight. Plus Steph Curry 29 pts, 7 rbs, and 11 ast couldn't get a win over the Orlando Magics tough defense, then the next night Curry missing the Hornets game to injury, had Hornets PG Rozier score 36 pts for a Hornets win. Plus our Knicks beat the GSW in the last game we played .. will make coach Kerr express to Curry & Green this game against the Knicks are a GSW must win tonight.

Will our Thibs-Knicks come out prepared to give the GSW their 3rd loss in a row?
Will Randle all-star performance become the outcome of the game for a win tonight?
Will GSW rookie star center Wiseman play tonight?
I been wanting the Knicks to trade for SG/SF Oubre Jr. since he was a Wizard.

Kiyaman

Legend
Derrick Rose with 12 points and 6 assists so far. Knicks lead by 4 late in the 1st half.

Half-Time .. Knicks 59 - GSW 55
Rose having 6 ast in first half is GREAT! And a big game changer to tonights game .. that's the part of his game thats been missing after winning the mvp .. Rose experience getting teammates involve in scoring are what we need to be a win win team. Lets Go for .500 in the 2nd half.

Tough loss. Knicks had a chance with the game tied late in the 4th, but Curry did what he does, hit a 3, and we never recovered.

Kiyaman

Legend
The first six minutes of the third quarter spelled our doom in this one.
The GSW lineup of Curry, Wiggins, Oubre, and Greens tight knit Gellin on offense/defense were to much for us Knicks tonight.
RJ & IQ games were off tonight, maybe because of their selfishness not to pass the ball to get teammates more involve in the offense. Rose gave them a big hint in ball-movement during the first half by giving out 6 dimes.
Obi did well tonight, should've got 5 more minute of playing-time.

mafra

Legend
RJ 1-9
EP 8-19
AB 3-10

On a night of a poetic yet abysmal shooting performance, Thibs would prefer to play Taj 24 minutes... and play the starters their usual minutes... but... don?t look for an offensive spark?

But Toppin plays 13 minutes? How lovely. Why waste a lottery pick on a guy who won?t play despite fact his production warrants more PT. Odd.

Broadway

All Star
RJ 1-9
EP 8-19
AB 3-10

On a night of a poetic yet abysmal shooting performance, Thibs would prefer to play Taj 24 minutes... and play the starters their usual minutes... but... don?t look for an offensive spark?

But Toppin plays 13 minutes? How lovely. Why waste a lottery pick on a guy who won?t play despite fact his production warrants more PT. Odd.

At the beginning and end of day Thibs wants to win with Vets and he?s not really trying to hide it

All 29 teams had Taj sitting on the couch eating Cracker Jacks and swiggin on some Mike?s Hard Lemonade until Thibs had this wild idea...let?s sign this guy and play him like life depends on it(smh)

The refs were bad again not why we lost but after what I saw in both Clipper games past week and Lakers game the other night...Adam Silver should feel ashamed of himself. They are extremely deteriorating with professionalism

The team couldn?t finish at the rim all night

Look at the player +/- stats for the game. Our starters got destroyed, while our 2nd unit, including Taj, played well. If I was Thibs, I don?t know what I would do with our rotations. Losing MRob was massive.