Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Itís amazing right... I mean, we are talking 2 decades... NYK must be 2-149 in shots to tie or take lead in final 10 seconds.

By accident somebody should get luck, no? And, guess what? Of those 151 tries... I bet 150 are jump shots. Nobody goes strong to the cup.

NY media acting shocked... asking Thibbs how this could happen? How? They have more talent.

Honestly, what roster would you prefer moving forward?

I beat Thibbs live this loss, and how it mightíve costs us any shot at a 4-6 seed. He will hammer the point home that you need to play for 48 minutes...

Veteran

This same roster with Fizdale and his staff is 12 - 36 instead of 24 - 24.

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Exactly! No matter what happens the final 26 games (from loss to Heat on)... season a tremendous success.

Randle and RJ have established themselves and will improve... we may have a spark plug off the bench in IQ... and we have cap space, draft picks, and legit coaching.

We donít know if Rose is capable of acquiring talent... I really donít have much faith in him... but, we shall see.

To all those who say we donít need a PG... did you watch EP trying to close the game? AB turning ball over, IQ missing anything he shot?

Our PGs over the last decade:

2010-2011: Raymond Felton, Chauncey Billups
    2011-2012: Toney Douglas (lol), point Shumpert (also lol), Jeremy Lin, Baron Davis
    2012-2013: Raymond Felton
    2013-2014: Raymond Felton
    2014-2015: Jose Calderon, Shane Larkin
    2015-2016: Jose Calderon
    2016-2017: Derrick Rose
    2017-2018: Jarrett Jack
    2018-2019: Emmanuel Mudiay
    2019 Ė present: Elfriddddddd

I wouldnít wish this list on my enemies... No surprise the 1 season we had Kidd we went to second round...

Veteran

Itís just a frustrating turn of events. To do nothing at the deadline and immediately MRob goes down for the season, not to mention Derrick Rose seems like he may just ghost the rest of this season. Hard to keep up with the pack.
    Rose shouldíve never been given another chance here after his first stint here. Told Casey his knees are a breath away from being shot and to please trade him while theyíre on Life Support

The inactivity at deadline is inexcusable but quite honestly a lot probably had to do with Thibs...he likes the squad and probably didnít want to deal with any major roster adjustments. They didnít even give 2nd thought to Ferguson and waived him immediately

Weíll see how much they love the Bigs they have in the off-season when itís time to shell out new deals

As far as Obi he hasnít played 10gms in a row of 10-15min yet alone 20. Not sure if the kid will last here unless he becomes a near elite defender
    Last edited by Broadway; Mar 31, 2021 at 22:34.

Obi Toppin the 8th pick. I thought Jordan Hill would forever by the worst draft selection Iíve witnessed personally... but Toppin is gaining steam.

Would you trade Obi straight up for Jaden? I would...

Jaden McDaniels kept it going on Wednesday by hitting 7-of-13 shots and tying his career high with four 3-pointers for 18 points, five rebounds and three assists in 36 minutes of a 102-101 win over the Knicks...

I remember an impartial article from last July which gave 5 reasons why Obi will be a bust and not worthy of a top 10 pick...

His age, his defense, the fact he cannot shoot off pick and rolls, and the mirage of college production... and while his agent Leon Rose got excited over his athleticism, this article suggested his athleticism is exactly why he would draft him...

He cannot operate in space!!!

ďObi Toppin has incredible athleticism in the open court. Multiple times this season Toppin grabbed the ball on a fast break and put down a dunk worthy of qualifying for SportsCenter Top10. One thing never talked about is where all of that athleticism disappears to when he is in traffic? With a player able to jump as high as Toppin, he should be a menace on the offensive glass. Especially given that he was playing against the likes of Fordham, La Salle, and St. Josephs twice every year. Toppin was not just bad on the offensive glass, he was ABYSMAL...

Considering all qualifying players, Toppin finished at 911th in the NCAA in offensive rebound % (that tracks how often a player grabs an available offensive rebound), with his final stat registering at 5.5% per CBS sports. The top offensive rebounder in the country for reference is Oscar Tshiebwe from West Virginia who finished the season at 20.5%.

Toppin ended the season worse at offensive rebounding than Devin Vassell and Isaac Okoro who are two WINGS that are projected lower in the draft than Toppin today. Not to mention every other post player projected in the first round was significantly higher than Toppin in this category. Even Toppinís little brother Jacob was a better offensive rebounder than Obi Toppin this year.

In the last 20 years, only 6 post players have made an NBA all star game with ORB% numbers as low as what Toppin showed at Dayton this year. Porzingis, Bosh, Garnett, Marc Gasol, Rasheed Wallace, and Al Horford. Each of these guys other than Porzingis was over the age of 30 when they received a selection with offensive rebound percentage numbers below 5.5%. All of these players are either dominant rim protectors or incredible outside shooters that make up for their lack of work on the offensive glass.

So, donít get distracted by the glitz and glamour of his high-flying dunks, because Toppin only uses that athleticism in the open court and wonít bring value to your franchise by helping to extend possessions.Ē

https://hollahoops.com/nba/f/5-reasons-why-obi-toppin-will-be-a-bust
    Last edited by mafra; Mar 31, 2021 at 22:29.

Veteran

Ehhhhh I was never high on Fiz to begin with so the record example isnít saying much. Thibs was very mediocre his last yr in Minnesota and they had a comparable if not better roster than we do now, a franchise that has been clowned here from time-to-time. Not necessarily his fault but also didnít absolve him from everything either

I look at all the other newer coaches in the league with hodge podge rosters and theyíre doing as good a job as Thibs and in some cases better

Yes weíve improved but we could also be a middling team for a couple yrs unless something significant changes

Look at CHA 4-1 since Ball got hurt!

Going from crappy to not an embarrassment isnít a quantum leap....

Going from good to great is a larger gulf to navigate

Knows the team

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    Apparently Obi ainít as NBA ready as Edwards and McDaniels.

This isnít Obiís fault. Heís extremely limited player and gets zero burn. But, I bet if we took Halliburton... TH scores 12 tonight and we win.

Our team prez drafted a guy bc his agency represented him. That decision is probably why we finish as 9-10 seed instead of a 4-6 seed.
    Who took the last shot (twice) in this game?
    Halliburton would be chillin on the bench just like Quickley .. while Randle AND Barrett run the offense the way they like it for 40 minute a game.
    If u havn't notice, Randle & RJ has been doing their best to help Payton stay a starter on this team .. even if it means losing winning games.

Not letting the rookie Quickley run the point on offense one time in the last two games .. IQ speeds up the tempo in our 2-3 zone, plus go to the foul line once or twice when he's running the point for 2 to 5 minute. Quickley's explosion off the bench this season won us a lot of games.
    I actually watch how .. D.Rose, Randle, RJ, and Burks took-hold of running the point every time Quickley recieve playing-time in the last two games.

Nothing is wrong with Obi Toppin, who should get all his playing-time having Taj Gibson & Quickley in his lineup throughout rookie season. Thibs type of substitution is not helping Obi's NBA growth, nor Quickley.

Thibs has a 7 man rotation that he let control the offense .. Payton, RJ, Bullock, Randle, Noel, and 6th man Rose, and 7th man Burks !!!

Trust me, if IQ and Obi were our 2 lead dawgs, and we didnít have Randle and RJ, we would be 6-42.

Thibbs wonít change his ways but the roster is bad anyway.... Bullock and Alec? Meh... We saw ABís true colors in the bubble playoffs. Those 2 are marginal bench players on a good roster. Guys who flash, playing 12 minutes off the bench vs the opponentís reserves.

Noel is a journeyman, offensively deficient rim protector.... EP is a top 10 backup PG in the NBA, but there are 36 better PGs in this league:

Rose has 1 foot in retirement.

Knits and Knox and Toppin have the makeup of accountants.

RJ and Randle are overachievers... This alone has endeared them to Thibbs. Same with Gibson.

Where to turn?

Knows the team

I would take Burks or Quickley's shooting over RJ Barrett All-day Everyday !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyaman View Post
    I would take Burks or Quickley's shooting over RJ Barrett All-day Everyday !!!
    Yea, right now for sure. But RJ has been playing well and he is part of the future so why not build equity and let him gain valuable experience that will help his growth?

AB and IQ arenít as well rounded in their entire games. IQ averages .0001 APG?

Knows the team

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    Trust me, if IQ and Obi were our 2 lead dawgs, and we didn’t have Randle and RJ, we would be 6-42.
    Their rookies being tested throughout the season for RJ & Randle's position, and minutes.
    Payton & Randle became strong friends on their previous team NO Pelicans, now they teamed up with the Knicks 3rd pick in the draft RJ Barrett .. becoming the Knicks 30+ plus minute players last season.
    I recall how the trio got MitchRob taken out of the starter lineup last season.

Do you honestly believe Toppin should be getting Randleís minutes?

IQ is shooting 39/38/88 %...to go with 2:1 assist:turnover ratio.

RJ is shorting 44/33/73 % to go with 3:1 a:t.

RJ plays better defense, is a better rebounder, and looks to get his teammates involved, more so than IQ.

Right now, IQ has his role. He should be trying to be a scoring spark off the bench. If he wants to be the PG, he needs to create more offense for others.