home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksBoston Celtics
Mitchell Robinson - foot surgery (OUT)Kemba walker - Rest (OUT)
-Evan Fournier - Covid-19 (OUT)

Game Preview

While the New York Knicks are in danger of falling back to a familiar spot in the standings, the Boston Celtics can't seem to figure out a way to return to their traditional perch among the elite of the Eastern Conference.

A pair of unexpected contenders for the final playoff spots in the East are scheduled to meet Wednesday when the Celtics continue a seven-game homestand against the Knicks.

Boston will be looking to salvage the second game of a back-to-back set after dropping a 106-96 decision to the Philadelphia 76ers on Tuesday.

The Knicks aim to rebound after squandering a 14-point lead Monday night in a 116-114 loss to the host Brooklyn Nets.

With their loss Tuesday, the Celtics fell into a tie for seventh place in the East with the Knicks at 25-26. The two teams are just two games behind the Atlanta Hawks for the fourth seed, although Boston and New York have struggled to generate any momentum for the playoff push.

The Celtics, who fell in the Eastern Conference finals last summer for the third time in the past four seasons, have lost nine of their past 15 while continuing to play undermanned due to COVID-19-related issues.

The Celtics were able to string together consecutive lopsided wins over the Houston Rockets and Charlotte Hornets heading into Tuesday's contest. Boston, however, spotted the 76ers the first seven points and fell behind for good during a 15-0 run by Philadelphia in the second quarter.

The Celtics played without Tristan Thompson for a 12th straight game on Tuesday. They also learned Tuesday morning that Evan Fournier was joining him on the health and safety protocols list.

"It's a hard year -- it's been a very, very tough year for everybody," Celtics point guard Kemba Walker said Tuesday night. "You've just got to find a way, man. That's all you can do. When guys go down, you've got to kind of expect guys to kind of step their games up and to help other guys play better."

The Knicks also hoped an easy win would help them snap a skid that has threatened to dampen one of the NBA's early season success stories. New York hasn't made the playoffs since 2013 and already has won more games than either of the previous two seasons.

But the Knicks, who rolled to their most lopsided win since 1996 in a 125-81 win over the Detroit Pistons Saturday night, lost for the fourth time in five games Monday. In fact, they frittered away a double-digit lead for the third time in that span.

New York led the Minnesota Timberwolves by 13 points in the fourth quarter of a 102-101 loss on March 31. The Knicks also claimed a 13-point lead in the second quarter against the Dallas Mavericks last Friday before dropping a 99-86 decision.

"It's either a win or a loss," Knicks power forward Julius Randle said Monday night. "There are not really any moral victories."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady .. Thanks for the Game-Thread .. The important thing about tonight game vs Celtricks are we are playing in Boston.
The Knicks and Celtricks are 5-5 in their last 10 games having a 25-26 record each.
Like I said, "Knicks are playing in Boston tonight) !!!

After our last stretch of games, there is an element of ?let?s just play a smart game tonight? that I?m feeling. No sloppy mistakes.

We?ve been a good rebounding team this year, but not lately. Defense, rebounds, ball movement, all of that seems less of a sure thing now for our guys than it did a couple weeks ago.

Our starting PG had 0 points and 0 assists in the 1st half. Kill me.

Why not go back to starting Ntilikina? Better defense with same offensive output.

I love what Noel gives us defensively, but he is neither an offensive threat nor a good rebounder. Not a starting center.

Randle with 13 points in the 3rd quarter. He continues to carry the weight of this team on his shoulders every night.

Knicks lead by 3 heading into the 4th. Can?t just be Randle if we are going to win. Let?s go! Step up.

RJ with 23 points on 8 for 12 shooting.

But again, our opponents ability to get offensive boards is killing us.

Awful turnover by RJ. We had a chance to take the lead down by 1 instead it goes the other way and we trail by 3 with a minute to go.

Thibs took out Rose and put in Payton. This led to iso ball from RJ and the turnover. Brutal.

Randle finds RJ who hits the 3 and ties the game.

But you know the story, Smart knocks one down the other end. Burks misses. We trail by 3 and Celtics are shooting FTs with 19 seconds to go.

Same show different night.

Burks gets blocked. Celtics up 4. More FTs for Boston. Another close loss for the Knicks.

Another brutal close loss.

RJ Barrett shoots 6 for 6 from 3 point range and scores 29 points and we lose.

This team just doesn?t have enough firepower. With Quickley now alarmingly being a non-factor night after night, we just don?t have the scoring.

mafra

Legend
RJ shooting a 3, when team is down by 5 with 4 seconds left.... pathetically. Freaking chump. You lost, don?t shoot the ball. Bounce it and head to the locker room. Stupid prima donnas putting themselves ahead of the game. Understand the unwritten rule!

Of course, when you have BOS -3 this sort of thing really pisses you off.

RJ shooting a 3, when team is down by 5 with 4 seconds left.... pathetically. Freaking chump. You lost, don?t shoot the ball. Bounce it and head to the locker room. Stupid prima donnas putting themselves ahead of the game. Understand the unwritten rule!

Of course, when you have BOS -3 this sort of thing really pisses you off.

Oh ****, that sucks man. Insult to injury. I?m sorry.

We now find ourselves only 1 game ahead of Indiana for the 8th seed. If this losing continues, we may find ourselves talking lottery again not too long from now.

mafra

Legend
Oh ****, that sucks man. Insult to injury. I?m sorry.

Yeah, normally I don?t mind if NyK win, which is why I should always do ML wagers.... worst is when NYK lose and other team doesn?t cover.

If you see NYK schedule in May, then you know why this team will have to fight TOR to hang on to the 10th seed. Brutal road trip out west...

Good news is we have a cushion and TOR/WAS not good enough to roll a 10-2 run...

But, if we don?t win a few games, we may skip out of the loser Tourny. Safe to say, no way we finish 7 or higher.

Kiyaman

Legend
I love what Noel gives us defensively, but he is neither an offensive threat nor a good rebounder. Not a starting center.

We been averaging 5 to 7 offensive rebounds per game however, we been allowing our opponents 12 to 16 offensive-rebounds per game, as if the Knicks are a very weak defensive rebounding team without MitchRob.