home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Charlotte HornetsNew York Knicks
LaMelo Ball - Wrist (QUEST)John Henson - Strained right calf (OUT)
Devonte' Graham - Left quad contusion (QUEST)Mitchell Robinson - Foot fracture (OUT)
Nate Darling - Ankle (OUT)Alec Burks - Health and safety protocols (OUT)
Gordon Hayward - Foot (OUT)-
Malik Monk - Ankle (OUT)-

Game Preview

Julius Randle has become a relatively new go-to player, and yet his contributions have made the New York Knicks a factor.

The Charlotte Hornets have relied on guard Terry Rozier, who has seen other players on the team emerge as clutch performers. But with the Charlotte roster hampered due to injuries, it's Rozier who's doing extra special work.

The Knicks put a six-game winning streak on the line when they take on Charlotte on Tuesday night in New York.

"I judge things on wins and losses," Randle said. "I know that's not a great way to judge everything, but at this point in the season that's how I'm judging it to (see if) we're putting ourselves in position to win games, and right now we are."

The Knicks withstood the New Orleans Pelicans for a 122-112 overtime victory Sunday. Randle racked up 33 points, and New York has its longest winning streak in seven years.

Randle has reached the 30-point mark in four straight games, giving him the longest such streak for a Knick since Carmelo Anthony had four in a row from Feb. 19-24, 2014.

"It's a stretch where I got to bring it every night," Randle said. "I have to put my best foot forward. I got to do what it takes to win."

While Randle has been the most consistent standout for the Knicks, others on the team have been clutch as well. Derrick Rose pumped in 23 points Sunday, and Reggie Bullock made a 3-point basket that sent the game to overtime.

"The challenges keep coming," Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau said.

Rozier eclipsed the 30-point level Sunday when he racked up 34 points in a 109-101 victory against the Portland Trail Blazers, putting a halt to a four-game losing streak.

Rozier missed a game during the skid, but the Hornets know they can count on him.

"I'm juggling it right now," Hornets coach James Borrego said. "A lot of these lineups haven't been together."

Rozier has taken a role as a primary ballhandler, something that has forced his teammates to make an adjustment.

In the only previous matchup this season, Charlotte defeated the Knicks 109-88 on Jan. 11 at home. The Hornets' leading scorer Gordon Hayward (34 points), rebounder LaMelo Ball (14) and assist provider Devonte' Graham (seven) from that meeting are all out with injuries, so that puts Charlotte in a bit of a bind.

The Hornets have failed to reach the 100-point plateau in four of their 10 games this month.

"That's how we're going to get through this stretch is defending at a high level," Borrego said. "I'm just trying to balance the offense with the defense."

There are going to be inconsistencies with a revolving lineup for the Hornets. Rookie center Vernon Carey Jr. made his first career start Friday night at Brooklyn and posted 21 points. He followed that against Portland with four fouls and no points in seven minutes.

The Knicks will keep an eye on the status of Nerlens Noel, who has played despite a bruised right hand.

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

tiger0330

Legend
Washington with 11 early that cut the Knicks early 9 pt lead to 2.Knicks up 24-22 and Thibs calls timeout with a couple of minutes left in the first.

tiger0330

Legend
Rose hits his first 2 shots after coming in. He's not starting but he should be finishing and getting more playing time than EP.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks trail by 6 at the half 66-60. Rozier hit 2 cons?cutive 3s to end the half including one that bounced around the rim before falling in to end the half. CHA went 13-19 from beyond the arc. Knicks lucky to be only down 6 but need to tighten up that D the second half, pretty sure CHA going to come back to earth with their shooting.

tiger0330

Legend
Good D by Taj getting a piece of a 3 pt shot on a closeout. He's been a good pickup for Thibs despite dropping him before the season.

tiger0330

Legend
Bullock smothers Martin and blocks his jumper. Good ball movement gets the hot hand RJ a corner 3 to end the 3rd Knicks up 91-82.

tiger0330

Legend
DRose with a driving layup, shows why he needs to start, he can drive like EP but he's a threat from deep. Payton has passed up multiple 3s even when wide open.

tiger0330

Legend
Bullock with his 5th 3, nice decision by DRose seeing a wide open Bull in the corner and passing up his own shot on his drive to the basket.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks coming slightly unglued here with an offensive foul by JR and the Knicks leading 102-95. RJ comes back in and hits another corner 3 to give the Knicks a 105-95 lead.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
7 game win streak. Good D in the second half holding CHA to less than 40 pts in the second half and holding CHA to 3 3s in the second half after them hitting 13 in the first half.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks 1/2 game back of the 4th seed Hawks who we play tomorrow. Last Hawks game I saw they were without Trey, Collins, Gallo and Hunter hope they're shorthanded tomorrow, though they still won without those guys, Hawks picked up Lou Williams for Rondo, who has been huge for them when Rondo was a bust.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks trail by 6 at the half 66-60. Rozier hit 2 cons?cutive 3s to end the half including one that bounced around the rim before falling in to end the half. CHA went 13-19 from beyond the arc. Knicks lucky to be only down 6 but need to tighten up that D the second half, pretty sure CHA going to come back to earth with their shooting.

Just checked, Hawks have Collins and Trey back. Going to be a dogfight for that 4th spot tomorrow.

31 points allowed in the 2nd half, least points allowed this season by the boys.

It?s kind of nuts. We?ve played almost 60 games and our record is only 4 games worse than the Milwaukee Bucks.