Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Atlanta Hawks 6/2/2021 7:30 pm [Game #5]

mafra

Legend
Knicks have 26 points in the second half... turned midnight and we became a pumpkin.

Give them credit for shooting the 3 all
Season, but we knew that was a miracle.... as it turned out, it couldn?t be sustained in the post season.

But, remember, we achieved what we set out to do. Now the work to rebuild this roster begins.

RB and AB aren?t necessary. Good bye...

Rose, IQ, Obi, Noel and a rookie will
Be the second unit.

Let?s see who our starting 5 is come OcT

Might be a blessing. This shows the front office that this teams needs a LOT of work.

We need one of these Trae Youngs to run the point and one of these Clint Capelas to dominate the paint and we?ll be in business. Not sure realistically what we can do this off-season though.

Good news is we now have a handful of young guys who actually have played playoff basketball. Been a long time since we could last say that.

Kiyaman

Legend
We need one of these Trae Youngs to run the point and one of these Clint Capelas to dominate the paint and we’ll be in business. Not sure realistically what we can do this off-season though.

Philly vs Hawks will be the same as Philly vs Wizards .. Thibs is not a postseason coach, it's been a decade since Thibs been in the 2nd round of the playoff

Oh well. It?s been a fun season.

We got a few months to talk off-season, fellas. As for now, I?m taking a little break. After this last season, I?m exhausted.

Kiyaman

Legend
Burks, Bullocks, Taj, and D.Rose are KEEPERS. !!!
Noel got to go!
Barrett must be traded on draft night.
Randle could be traded in the offseason.

mafra

Legend
We need one of these Trae Youngs to run the point and one of these Clint Capelas to dominate the paint and we?ll be in business. Not sure realistically what we can do this off-season though.

We hope Mitchell is that presence, if not dealt for something. Noel injury really helped ATL. Clint was battling our third string C.

Where was Clint for Harden and HOU? He?ll be a zero next round.

mafra

Legend
ATL 31-12 under AI?s backcourt buddy?s guidance. N8 McMill!

We finish 16-4 and secured 4 seed. We had a good year, they had a better one... but they were ahead of us, so it?s not a surprise.

We got some work to do but we are on the right path....

tiger0330

Legend
Hawks turned the tables on us, playing D on us, difference maker was Hunter who we did not see in regular season. Didn’t see Capela either in some of the games and we were outmatched at the 5 with MRob out. I feared a healthy Hawks team before the series began and I was right.

Broadway

All Star
I?m not shocked we got waxed in the playoffs. I said back in March?

?We improved but weren?t really a good basketball team, above average but nothing special and when facing the better teams in the league we?re exposed?

I also spoke to the league not being sound competitively speaking due to all the influx of player injuries, fatigue, and player disinterest to being their best every night. It became okay to throw away several gms because teams put less of a premium on the regular season, with a select few stocked for postseason play

So what we witnessed this yr was in imbalance in competition and not being able to accurately gauge how good teams are. Which is why I?ve hated the Lebron Era so much, he cheapened the product

As far as the team?The garbage getting Bulls gang back together again needs to be barred and banned. I will not watch them next yr if any ex Bulls from that Thibs era returns or is signed aside from trading for Jimmy Butler

1) Get Derrick Rose off this team, Respectfully!!! Find a Real Point guard for crying out loud

2) Pay Julius Randle

3) Pick up RJ?s option(s) if available and not already done

4) Do not re-up any expiring contract unless absolutely necessary

5) We need to sign/trade for players who will speed up our pace offensively

mafra

Legend
Rose is fine, if he?s the backup PG. Actually, he?s an asset in that role.

Sign a real PG, get a real shooter. Let RB and AB walk...

ATL brought in all these free agents bc this was their year to make a move.... We returned the same lineup that won 17 games... no shame and nothing shocking at this result.

The tough decisions involve what to do with RJ and Mitch, as it plays out in your pursuit for a legit star.

Sign 2 nice pieces and trade for a stud and we are golden.

We also possess a bunch of picks.

Remember, we wanted Gallinari and BB but were spurned. Fortunately, the oft injured GH signed in CHa...

Must bring in the RIGHT guys...

Broadway

All Star
Rose is fine, if he?s the backup PG. Actually, he?s an asset in that role.

Sign a real PG, get a real shooter. Let RB and AB walk...

ATL brought in all these free agents bc this was their year to make a move.... We returned the same lineup that won 17 games... no shame and nothing shocking at this result.

The tough decisions involve what to do with RJ and Mitch, as it plays out in your pursuit for a legit star.

Sign 2 nice pieces and trade for a stud and we are golden.

We also possess a bunch of picks.

Remember, we wanted Gallinari and BB but were spurned. Fortunately, the oft injured GH signed in CHa...

Must bring in the RIGHT guys...

Strongly Disagree on Rose on both tour of duties, he simply isn?t needed if we actually address our PG issue

If IQ isn?t the solution and he?s likely not, then IQ is the backup point guard?THE END!

We need a Kyle Lowry or Kemba Walker without the $35mil price tag. A PG who truly can run a team, play a full season, doesn?t need to score but is capable, and can get us 8-10ast/night

mafra

Legend
Yeah, I?m not sure I want the 37 yr-old Lowry, unless it?s a cheep, team-friendly deal.

I noticed IQ with Rose as his floor mate was a vastly superior player than the version we got when he was thrust into that alpha mode. But he?s young, and hopefully he?s a piece that helps us trade for an upgrade in talent.

The coaching squeezed lemonade from a pile of rocks. Credit Hunter for holding Randle to just under 30% shooting. That?s when using a lottery picks on defense makes a difference. Frank? He made a difference, just in a bad way.

Anyway, I hope we have a from office that can handle the upgrade. Up to the execs Rose and Perry to prove their worthy. We?ll soon see if they are worthy.

Lots of work to do.... we lack talent.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Strongly Disagree on Rose on both tour of duties, he simply isn?t needed if we actually address our PG issue

If IQ isn?t the solution and he?s likely not, then IQ is the backup point guard?THE END!

We need a Kyle Lowry or Kemba Walker without the $35mil price tag. A PG who truly can run a team, play a full season, doesn?t need to score but is capable, and can get us 8-10ast/night

Wow Broadway:( you sat out most the season and the playoffs and and now your contribution is Kyle Lowry is better than Drose at 37? Whatever credibility you had left is gone now.

Kiyaman

Legend
Well, Knicks fans this is what we got from the Knicks playoffs ....
We got Piss-Poor coaching in Game-1
We got poor coaching in the first half of Game-2
We got Piss Poor coaching in Game-3
We got Piss Poor coaching in Game-4
And we had 5 minute of Garbage-Time in Game-5
Season over !!!

A five game playoff season of Thibs Piss Poor Coaching to deal with in the offseason.
Hopefully, we hire an assistant head-coach like Nate McMillan to replace Woodard in the offseason.
Good Night Knicks Fans .. We had a winning Covid-19 regular season .. Smile !!!

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
I think we had a great season, maybe we got overhyped because of the season results, but what we achieved in one season without brining any major players is massive.
the biggest issue in our playoff is not JR, it is the rest of the team, nobody showed up to pose a threat on the hawks so they were very comfortable doubling and sometimes tripling the defense on JR..... as opposed to Trae Young, who we could not double team because the other players were posing a threat and can't be left alone...... it is Tom's job to draw plays to involve other players too, not only have JR as the focal point. ball was flowing much better when JR was not on the floor because other players felt that they should do something, while when he is on the floor they just feed him the ball and see what will happen....

Kiyaman

Legend
All season it was .. Randle Randle Randle!
And take Payton out of the starter lineup!
Put rookie Quickley in the starter lineup!
Then put D.Rose in the starter lineup!
In the regular season Payton started 63 games out of the 72 game season.
The reason Payton always looked so bad on the court, is because Randle never move without the ball and never go down low into the paint like a real PF. Randle is always at the top of the key begging for the ball on practically every Knicks offensive possession.
If anyone watched all 3 of the Knicks wins over the Hawks in the regular season, they would know it was Barrett, Burks, and Quickley's scoring in the 4th quarter, and down the stretch of the game that won. Randle's 40 pts in each game came from being the PG in 40 plus minutes.
In those 3 regular season games, the Hawk players and coaches notice the positive & negatives in Randle's 40 min performance.
Randle don't move without the ball.
Randle take's 20 plus ISO shots per game.
Randle lives on the perimeter on offense.
Randle gets a touch of the ball on 90% on offense.
Randle have to dribble the ball before shooting.
Randle don't pick, or screen, or box-out for his teammates.
But that's not the reason the Knicks LOSS the playoff series 4-1 !!!

Thibs coaching, substitution, and poor Game-Plan for each game.
The Knicks were suppose to get SWEEP under coach Thibs Game-Plan each game.
D.Rose and Taj Gibson three months of mentoring the 2nd unit bench lineup to perform on the same-page, paid off in the 2nd half of Game-2, by erasing the Hawks 13 pt lead at the end of the 3rd quarter, plus giving the Knicks a lead, and stretching the lead in the 4th quarter.
After Game-2 WIN .. The Knicks coach Thibs never put that 2nd unit lineup back on the court in Game-3, or Game-4, or Game-5 .. which resulted in 3 straight LOSSES !!!
`
+