2021 Draft Talk

Woj reporting that OKC traded us picks 34 and 36 for taking Robinson-Earl for them at 32. Our front office sure knows how to add picks to the stack.

mafra

Legend
What I like about Grimes is that he was a highly touted McDonalds All American who flopped his freshman year at Kansas. He rebounded from that bad experience and used what he learn to lead Houston to Final 4 Appearance. Hopefully, he can replace AB?s role. Don?t expect a much from him though.

We take Rokas Jokubaitis with pick 34. I literally got nothing to say on this one.

Apparently he is a Goran Dragic type player. I guess that?s good.

Jokubaitis apparently is a 20-year-old draft and stash. Going to keep playing overseas at least 1 more season reportedly.

Was this a move to save cap space?

It?s all good. We get Miles McBride at 36. Nice.

I love this pick. He?s a point guard who plays defense. Good mid range game. Short but decent length.

Another pick where Thibodeau wanted the player so front office made it happen.

Seems to me that Knicks front office came into this draft wanting to get Grimes and McBride for Thibodeau (if they couldn?t trade up for Duarte). A 3 point shooter and a PG, both of whom are good defensive players.

Instead of just taking them at 19 and 21, Knicks make a bunch of trades. Get a future 1st from Charlotte. Get an extra 2nd round pick from Clippers. Get an extra 2nd round pick from OKC (which they used on a draft and stash who apparently has upside or so I?ve read).

Not bad. Not world shattering, but some good work has been done so far tonight.

mafra

Legend
We have 4 picks and did what could be expected, given the opportunities that we had (or weren?t there). We add a 1st $ 2nd to our future draft stash, we gamble in a foreign lottery ticket, and we select 2 Thibbs type gritty gutty prospects?.

Did we walk away with at least 1 piece that?s part of the future? Probably not, but we have 3 chances for it? diversifying the risk. And, if we use that future first in a package for Beal or Dame? then it worked!

Nothing Rose has done has been impressive, but he hasn?t made a mistake yet? So he?s right in track, until proven otherwise.

mafra

Legend
Scouting report with video

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2021...ort-rokas-jokubaitis-analysis-video-breakdown

From ESPN back in April:

It?s rare for 20-year-olds to play at least 20 minutes per night at the Euroleague level, but Jokubaitis is doing exactly that, joining names like Doncic, Saric, Ricky Rubio and Beno Udrih as some of the only sub-21 prospects to have such a big role since 2000.

Playing both on and off the ball this season, Jokubaitis is a lefty combo guard who does most of his damage inside the arc with short pull-ups or scooping finishes. At his best when he can get downhill to his left hand, he?s also a creative passer who can both hit the roll man from different angles or fire cross-court passes to open shooters. Shooting is his clear swing skill, as too often teams will go under ball screens against him without much consequence. He?s improved off the catch, but with his best moment usually coming with the ball in his hands, boosting his off-the-dribble range will be important to his long term success, as he?s shooting just 31% from 3 this season.

But Jokubaitis is a competitor on the defensive end and plays with great spirit overall. A longtime favorite of former head coach and ex-NBA player ?arūnas Jasikevičius, Jokubaitis is beloved within the Lithuanian powerhouse and is an ideal draft-and-stash candidate given his strong development situation in Kaunas, and the fact that his role should continue to grow with the Lithuanian National team. Jokubaitis, who told us he studies Goran Dragic closely, still needs to improve his right hand, shooting stroke and off ball defense, but his game and situational factors will earn him looks as high as the early 2nd round as a pick-and-roll combo guards who brings energy to the court.

Posted by Verklemptomaniac on Jul 29, 2021 | 11:32 PM

P&T comment

mafra

Legend
NYP - M. Berman

Knicks pick Quentin Grimes after two NBA Draft trades
By Marc Berman

July 29, 2021 | 10:45pm

Knicks president Leon Rose didn?t get his top-priority 3-point shooting wing in the first round but he strategically traded back and got a solid two-way guard who may have been undervalued.

After trading both their first-round picks at 19 and 21 with an eye toward stockpiling more futures, the Knicks took University of Houston 6-foot-4 shooting guard Quentin Grimes at No. 25 in Thursday?s draft.

According to a source, the Knicks were wowed by Grimes? workout this month. They liked his size, shooting and toughness on defense. He was one of three NCAA players this season to hit 100 3-pointers. He shot 40.3 percent from deep and averaged 17.9 points.

Grimes transferred from Kansas to Houston in 2019. Six weeks ago, he was thought to be more likely to be selected in the early second round.

The Knicks? priority was a scoring wing but all their best guys were off the board, including Oregon?s sharpshooter Chris Duarte, taken at No. 13 by Indiana. All attempts to trade up were rebuffed.

After trading the No. 19 pick to Charlotte for a future first-rounder, Rose?s Knicks then traded the 21st pick to the Clippers and got back L.A.?s 25th and a 2024 second-rounder.

The Knicks drafted Quentin Grimes in the NBA Draft.
The Knicks drafted Quentin Grimes in the NBA Draft.
Getty Images
That?s two more future pawns to wheel in a potential blockbuster trade if Damian Lillard or Bradley Beal become available.

The Clippers took Tennessee?s guard Keon Johnson at No. 21. Charlotte took Texas center Kai Jones at No. 19 in the Knicks? spot. And the Knicks took Grimes with the 25th pick.

Grimes also is one of just two NCAA players who ranked in the top 10 in offensive and defensive rating, and scouts deem him NBA ready.

Scouts don?t view Grimes as a potential star, but at the NBA combine last month, he likely played his way into first-round consideration as a solid role guy.

Follow tonight?s NBA Draft action

2021 NBA Draft Tracker: Round 1 updates and analysis
How to watch the NBA Draft
Grimes has had an odd journey. He was slated as a one-and-done lottery-pick stud when he came to the Jayhawks as a freshman. He tested the draft waters, but transferred to Houston after a disappointing freshman year.

The final shooting wing the Knicks liked went off the board at No. 17 when the Pelicans took Virginia?s Trey Murphy, to moans from the Barclays Center crowd. Duke?s small forward Jalen Johnson was on the board but had too much baggage, quitting the team in February. Atlanta took Johnson with the 20th pick.

The Knicks attempted to move up to No. 13 to draft Duarte but didn?t offer Indiana enough. The Pacers snapped up the 3-point machine who plays rugged defense. Indiana may have taken Baylor point guard Davion Mitchell, another trade-up target, at No. 13 but he was off the board at No. 9.

The Knicks also lost a target in Stanford freshman wing Ziaire Williams, taken 10th overall. Even Oklahoma City?s pick of point guard Tre Mann of Florida was someone the Knicks had considered ? at No. 21.

Last year, the Knicks gave away their 33rd pick with point guard Theo Maledon on the board for a future second-rounder.

Another aspect of tonight?s draft is that by trading out of picks 19 and 21, we apparently saved another 2 million in cap space.

mafra

Legend
At 58, NYK select C Jericho Sims from
uT

Tommy Beer
@TommyBeer
#Knicks fans - meet Jericho Sims, whom NY selected with the 58th pick in the draft. Insane combination of size, athleticism and leaping ability

mafra

Legend
The Knicks will try to find a starting point guard in free agency, but McBride could be the agitator they need, especially against their nemesis: the Hawks? Trae Young.

McBride?s wingspan ? measured at 6-foot-8 ?/₄ ? was tops among the gaggle of point guards measured at the NBA combine. McBride?s surprising wingspan figure was due in part to his hands, which also measured largest among point guards.

The 1st round pick from Charlotte is top 18 protected next draft in 2022, top 16 protected in 2023, and top 14 protected in 2024 and 2025. It turns into 2 2nd round picks after that.

Basically, we need Charlotte to be a low playoff seed once in the next 4 seasons and we end up with a future mid 1st round pick for trading out of pick 19 this draft. If things play out in our favor, we potentially traded pick 19 for a pick slightly better than pick 19 two or three years from now, in addition to getting an extra 2nd round pick. We?re definitely playing the long game.

Keep in mind, we also have a top 10 protected pick from Dallas that will land somewhere from 2023 to 2025 (most likely 2023 unless something happens to Doncic).

Decent chance we end up with 2 1st round picks again in the next 2 drafts in 2022 and 2023 (ours and picks we traded for) or possibly 3 1st round picks 2 years from now in the 2023 draft.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody,
Been gone awhile been out of the state on personal business. Know you don't want to here that:aplause:.
So the Knicks get 4 picks that solve none of the needs for this team. If McBride was that good someone would have pick him up before we drafted him. So I don't see that as a solution because he is only 6'2" and you know what that means.

Now the main issues/Problems for the last two years is shooting and PG. This is what has been toss around but I'm not in that camp. PG is never a problem as long as Frank is on this team... Hey everybody that just my opinion. As for shooting Perry and Rose cause that problem but can't seen to fix it. Resign Burks and that would be one step.

As for the draft the Knicks were in a no win situation. They should have tanked this past year put decided to flex their muscles(the little they have) and make the playoff. This years draft was the most talented in the last two years. So we tank in the two previous years... How smart is that??(Don't answer). We have the 19 and 21 picks and can't get rid of them for nothing. Meaning trading up!! Nobody was going to be a fool and trade them a pick in a draft talented year after hardly no talent in the previous two. We got nothing out of the last two draft but the jury is still out on Obi. Let wish for the best. The press and everybody is putting a decent spin on the drafting of both picks. But we need help this year not in two year or 3 years. The Hornets are going to be a much better team and will probably make the playoff. So Hornet pick and MAV's pick will most likely be in the 20's. So for KP this trade is looking like a complete disaster. Drafting player that can play good defense but can't shoot a lick.
My Grade for this draft is an 'F'!!! With no real BB person on staff or in the brain trust what can you expect!! Agents and Hype Men, Pitiful!!

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks MUST draft one or two of the SF listed below .. to challenge Bullock for playing-time minutes.

1- Scotty Barnes 6.9 .. 4th pick .. Great offense/defense
2- Josh Giddey 6.8 .. 6th pick
3- Jonathan Kuminga 6.8 .. 7th pick .. win-win performance.
4- Franz Wagner 6.9 .. 8th pick
5- Corey Kispert 6.7 .. 15th pick .. Great shooter
6- Jalen Johnson 6.9 .. 20th pick

Well, Leon Rose and staff did not put any effort into getting any of the SF I listed above.
Nor did Leon Rose put any effort in making a trade to get the Knicks a vet starter PG to replace Payton.
We did add young-core blood from the draft ....
6.5 SG-Grimes .. 6.2 PG-McBride .. and 6.10 PF-Sims

mafra

Legend
I think passing on Kai Jones and Jalen Johnson the only potential blowback. But, this wasn?t like passing on Michael Porter for Knicks.

Knicks couldnt get their top choices, but had 2 fallback options they were comfortable with (Grimes and McBride). We shall see if this was wise?

Bullock for most of his career was a SG until he came to the Knicks. Now they are forcing him into the SF position in order to keep RJ in the lineup. I don't see where he does anything to make us better. They talk about his defense(which I don't see as being great), they talk about his shooting and to this day I have seen anything exceptional about it. He not athletics or explosive going to the basket so I would let him go. The player that surprise me from last year is Burks. I talk about him not being good but he proved me wrong. Very please with his outside shooting.

I see no improvement from draft and I don't see any meaningful FA signing. Who is out there in FA that can change or improvement this team to make it better than last year. Remember having to over play both Randle and RJ in minutes have exposed a weakness in the team. The Hawks took advance of it and how the offensive was run thru Randle. Every team will be looking at those five playoff games and will do the same thing throughout the game.

Passing on Jalen Johnson is an indication of that the front office is out of touch with todays athletics. You let the team that beat you in the playoff drafting in between your two picks take a chance on this player. How do Rose or Perry go talk with young players of today. They don't identify or understand their current state of mind. Nate Mullins of the Hawks do and so do a lot of other coaches. Did you see the number new coaches in the league.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I would not have traded the 19th pick. I would have kept that pick. Everything else I thought was a good move. I would've been cool with Keon Johnson, Jalen Johnson, or Josh Christopher at the #19th pick. Every other move they made was good.

Kiyaman

Legend
I think passing on Kai Jones and Jalen Johnson the only potential blowback. But, this wasn?t like passing on Michael Porter for Knicks.

Knicks couldnt get their top choices, but had 2 fallback options they were comfortable with (Grimes and McBride). We shall see if this was wise?

For some reason I believe both Kai and Jalen will make the Knicks sorry in the future for not making one of them a Knicks.

1) Jalen Johnson could've been the nice challenger for Knox on who backup Bullock.
2) If Grimes 2-Way performance succeed well under coach Thibs, than the Knicks will have 2 winning combo-guards (IQ) on the roster much better than corny RJ Barrett.
3) McBride has Frank's defensive talent, plus the speed of a play-maker to keep ball-movement. How well McBride does on the Knicks, will be on D.Rose and the Knicks FA signing leadership.
4) I believe the Atlanta Hawks wanted to select center Kai Jones at #20, as a backup for Capela. The Hawks roster are full of SF wings, PF-Gallo & PF-Collins quick movements on court are still that of a SF.
Giving away the 19th pick for a future pick, when one of the Knicks missing pieces were SF -Jalen Johnson is absurd & stupid.
Leon Rose offseason moves are far from over, he has to get busy in the FA market at getting the Knicks two winning players, a starter PG, and a starter SF.