2021 Free Agent Stuff

Doncic gets 5 year 207 million dollar extension.

Now they need to figure out how to move KP?s 30+ million dollar a year deal, which still has 2 years plus another player option year left, and build a better team around Doncic.

tiger0330

Legend
NYK sign Bacon, probably bc they realize Grimes is a long way from contributing.
Read someone said he was as good a Knox right now, the guy who said it doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He’ll ride the bench and spend time in the G-League is all I’m expecting.

This guy Bacon shot 28% from 3 last season. Honestly, I hope he doesn?t see the court much for us this season. Insurance policy at the back of the bench maybe.

I think for Grimes it will all be about can he come off the bench and knock down an open 3 in a few minutes of playing time. If he can, great, his role might expand, if he can?t, he probably won?t see much playing time this year.

G League seems like a reasonable option for our rookies this season. Our roster is actually pretty deep.

The more I think about it, the more I think a lot of these guys are setup to be irrelevant this season until injuries happen.

That 2nd unit of Rose, Quickley, Burks, Toppin, and Noel is going to be hard to crack.

If a big man gets injured, Taj is next man up.

If a guard or SF gets injured, then maybe Grimes or McBride might pickup a few minutes. Until then, expect a lot of DNPs. G League might be a smart choice.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks FO has it set-up to where the Knicks roster and rotation will be missing an offense/defense (Jalen Johnson/Bullock) SF .... A position that helps out both guard & Foward position on offense/defense.
Recall we needed Bullock's defensive talent in the 4th quarter of each game vs the Hawks scoring-star Trae Young.
Did Leon/Perry/Thibs believe McBride/Grimes could help stop Trae Young from scoring? SMH
What about Knicks defending opponents star scoring-guards in the NBA East .. Last-Shot Players like Beal Butler Tatum/Brown Middleton/Holiday Kyrie/Harden Derozan/LaVine ???

I'm imagining Kemba Barrett and Fournier on the defensive-end depending on MitchRob or Noel to block the shot of the opponent that keep dribbling pass them by way of first-step or pick/screen.
Not looking good !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Doncic gets 5 year 207 million dollar extension.

Now they need to figure out how to move KP’s 30+ million dollar a year deal, which still has 2 years plus another player option year left, and build a better team around Doncic.

I wonder why the Doncic - Mavs were so quick to give FA Bullock an offer ???

Noel?s deal is actually 3 years, 27.6 million not 3 years, 32 million. It includes 4 million plus in bonuses that he would be unlikely to make. This was reported on Twitter.

mafra

Legend
Saw this tweet:

Fun fact: The Kemba Walker/Evan Fournier tandem had a +30.8 net rating last season. The 2nd best 2-man lineup in the entire NBA.

? lineups featuring both Fournier and Walker sported a +13.9 differential (good for 98th percentile in the league) and 120.2 points per 100 possessions (good for 93rd percentile in the league.)

Payton and Bullock lineups posted a -3.1 differential (36th percentile) and 107.7 points per 100 possessions (22nd percentile).

What was most surprising was how the Fournier and Walker lineups performed on the defensive end. They best the Bullock and Payton lineups in every defensive category except for the offense?s free throw rate.

The only slight hitch in this data is that the strongest Fournier and Walker lineups featured Fournier at the 3 spot, which most Knicks faithful believe is where RJ Barrett will be most effective.

It will be up to Tom Thibodeau to unlock Fournier?s efficiency at the 2 spot. If he does, it could result in strong play on both ends of the floor.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dailyk...van-fournier-kemba-walker-formidable-duo/amp/

Frank Ntilikina officially no longer a Knick. It will be real interesting to see if any teams are interested.

I?m hoping for the Nets to sign him. Then it is no hope for Knicks for the next 5 years. They drove the last nail on their coffin.
Now I know what Andrew Yang was feeling when he said, I had to leave the Knicks for his on saneness.

Evan Fournier is a sign and trade with Boston. We send them cash and they send us 2 2nd round picks. The 2nd round picks appear to be very late 2nd round picks though. Better than nothing I guess.

Kiyaman

Legend
Frank Ntilikina officially no longer a Knick. It will be real interesting to see if any teams are interested.

It's a shame-shame coach Thibs never put Frank in the 2nd unit lineup with D.Rose & Quickley last season throughout all the injuries.
I missed our two reliable defensive players Frank & MitchRob not being in our postseason games vs the Hawks. I believe those 2 players would've help us win the series or go all 7 games.
Putting D.Rose in the starter lineup the remaining 3 games of the Knicks playoff got the same results as putting Frank in the starter lineup for 3 games last season, having two individual-performing players Barrett & Randle as the first & second option on offense calling all the shots.

The only good thing about the signing of Kemba & Evans in the offseason are Barrett & Randle will become the 3rd and 4th option on offense. The four starters may have problems with ball-movement and team-defense, but their one on one scoring will be exciting.

tiger0330

Legend
ESPN came out with their post free agency power rankings and the Knicks were ranked 14th pre-draft and FA and 14th today meaning ESPN didn’t see the moves the Knicks made as game changing. Nets on the other hand improved to 1st in the rankings with the signings of Pattie Mills, James Johnson, BG etc.

I’m a little surprised that the addition of Russ to the Lakers and these guys that it didn’t vault them to the top of the rankings.

• Dwight Howard
  • Carmelo Anthony
  • Trevor Ariza
  • Malik Monk
  • Kendrick Nunn
  • Kent Bazemore
  • Wayne Ellington

Last edited:
Any suggestions as to what to do to improve this year outlook??
Still missing that transformative player and it not one on the horizon.
Again, what do you do??

Kiyaman

Legend
What was Leon Rose, Perry, and Thibs thinking in the 2021 offseason ???
The Knicks had a decent winning regular season (41-21) with head coach Thibs, having a weakness at the PG and SF position. The Knicks offseason priority were ....
1) A 2-Way performance PG to replace PG-Payton in the starter lineup.
2) And a decent 2-Way performance SF for the starter lineup.

Every time the thought of having a PG-Kemba & SF-Fournier on the 2021-22 Knicks, instead of PG Dinwiddle or PG-Schroder, or SF Kelly Oubre Jr. or the 6.8 SF draft pick Jalen Johnson .. I see another Knicks 30 win season in 2021-22.