2021 Free Agent Stuff

How does the offense scheme change??
On paper(plus and minuses) this looks good.
Team Chemistry isn't built by signing an often injury player and he walks onto the floor. Habits and routines are hard to break... If you don't think so go back to the ATL series and look at the offense. It reverted back to two years ago where Randle was threwing the ball away, getting caught up in traffic, RJ being his rookie self.

Even if Walker stays healthy will the offense scheme change to benefit the team. This team is to vested in Randle/RJ(which is a big problem). How do you weave Walker/Fournier into the offense that gauged around Randle/RJ?

These questions much be answered or you will hate the end of the year results.

If you weigh the pluses and minuses of acquiring Kemba, my bet the consensus will be the Knicks made out like bandits in acquiring a 4 time AS on a one year 8M deal. He'll play his ass off for his next contract while a Knick. Bottom line is we got a starting caliber PG for this season which was a priority this off season.

Wishful thinking about him playing his ass off!!
What if his ass(as you put it) is injury an on the bench? We been had a PG sitting on the bench for the 4 years and the F.O. wouldn't invest playing time into him. D.S., Mudiay, Payton all were bought in because Perry didn't like Frank. If he had invest playing time into Frank like he has done with RJ this team would be a lot better. So PG being a priority is something new.

We will learn to regret the next 5 years!!

jimkcchief88

All Star
I?m hearing Kemba will get roughly 8 mil a year. Mr McBride better hope for an injury?

Tommy Beer
@TommyBeer
?
14m
In EACH of the last five seasons, Kemba Walker has averaged more than 19 points, more than 4 assists and 3+ made 3-pointers per game.

In the 75 years history of the Knicks franchise, no PG has ever averaged at least 19 points and 4 dimes and 3 treys in any single season.

I?m happy with the deal major upgrade at PG position now Drose can slide to back-up PG where he shined. I don?t know what ?Dumb Raider? is talking about but I propose we give him a character count max. Ignore list on the way for you ?Dumb Raider?šŸ˜‚

I?m happy with the deal major upgrade at PG position now Drose can slide to back-up PG where he shined. I don?t know what ?Dumb Raider? is talking about but I propose we give him a character count max. Ignore list on the way for you ?Dumb Raider?šŸ˜‚

C?mon, chief, you?re really going to go ahead and just start this feud up again like this?

mafra

Legend
I believe it?s a 2 year deal for 8-9 mil. Beats reading for him and his contract, beats giving DS 90 mil, or throwing 30 mil at RJax.

NYK got a 50 win team!

jimkcchief88

All Star
C?mon, chief, you?re really going to go ahead and just start this feud up again like this?

Yup. Dude pops up once in a blue moon and when he does it?s stupid, troll type posts. I come here for INTELLIGENT Knicks-talk. It?s ok to disagree, but have a lucid point not mindless dribble. If I wanted basketball comic relief I can watch re-runs of Shaq vs Chuck on YouTube. ?It?s supposed to be 1-2-3, not 1-2 and back to 1 dumbassšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚?

Fan favorite and leader of the bench cheering, Theo Pinson, likely to be brought back on 2-way contract.

Kiyaman

Legend
If KW is that good why is OKC buying him out? Is there something wrong with Walker? He doesn't fit in Hornets, He doesn't fit for the Celtics, and now a buyout at OKC!!

Alarm bells are going off in my head that it isn't something right with this player. JUST ME!!

Alarm Bells .. World War 3 Bells !!!
HELL TO THE NO !!!
I don't want to see Kemba Walker in a Knicks uniform.
Kemba has always equal to be another Payton .. A Back-Up PG without any creative playmaking skills.
Two yrs ago, I watch Tatum, Brown, and Smart do their best to help improve Kemba skills on the olympics team. Boston dont want him, OKC dont want him, even the Hornets dont want him.

Leon Rose and company has to go .. we are headed for another 30 win season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Yup. Dude pops up once in a blue moon and when he does itā€™s stupid, troll type posts. I come here for INTELLIGENT Knicks-talk. Itā€™s ok to disagree, but have a lucid point not mindless dribble. If I wanted basketball comic relief I can watch re-runs of Shaq vs Chuck on YouTube. ā€œItā€™s supposed to be 1-2-3, not 1-2 and back to 1 dumbass����ā€

What did Kemba Walker & Evan Fournier do in Boston's 5 game playoff series to make the next team want them? They both were BUMS that showed they were not ready for the playoff level of the NBA !!!

mafra

Legend
Kemba Walker?s homecoming has Knicks fairy tale potential
By Mike Vaccaro

August 4, 2021 | 6:02pm

More from:

Mike Vaccaro

This can't be all Leon Rose has planned for the Knicks ? right?

Anthony Rizzo has earned Yankees lovefest that awaits him

Knicks legend Earl Monroe looks to change lives with new charter school

Next phase of Leon Rose's Knicks reign begins with fascinating NBA Draft chance

Yankees' season has been about living on the edge

If this works out, it will be one of the sweetest tales ever to be hatched within the boundaries of the City Game. If this works out, we will look back on this as one of the splendid days in Knicks history, Kemba Walker coming home, coming back to New York, back to the Garden.

We are forever a city of point guards, after all, even those of us whose basketball journeys ended with the JV, or at the Y. We are the city of Bob Cousy and Dicky McGuire, of Tiny Archibald and Lenny Wilkens and Larry Brown, of Kenny Anderson and Kenny Smith, of Pearl Washington and Mark Jackson and Boo Harvey, Rod Strickland and Steph Marbury, Frankie Alagia and David Cain.

Some of them have done wonderful work at the Garden. McGuire?s number 15 hangs in its rafters. Jackson won rookie of the year, making the wonderful New York hoops trip from Bishop Loughlin to St. John?s to the Knicks. Dean (the Dream) Meminger went from Rice to Marquette, where he won the 1970 NIT at the Garden, then landed with the ?73 champion Knicks.

Walker takes that path now. He was a star at Rice, too, and as a junior memorably met up with a senior from Chicago Simeon High in January 2007, fellow named Derrick Rose, in a high school game at the Garden that people who were there still talk about. Across five unforgettable nights four years later, he led UConn to five straight wins and the Big East Tournament title, then won six more in the NCAA, one of the great college basketball stories ever told. He became an All-Star in Charlotte, and in Boston.

Kemba Walker
Kemba Walker
Getty Images
And he comes home now. He is 31, with close to 25,000 NBA minutes on his treads, coming off an injury-plagued season with the Celtics. But he comes at a reasonable salary number after getting a buyout from Oklahoma City, and he will team with Rose to provide a 1-2 punch at point guard ? a yawning chasm for the Knicks in recent years ? that will be as long on intrigue and class as it might be long in the tooth.

There are pitfalls and there are pratfalls aplenty standing in the way of this, of course. Can the Knicks get, say, 140 games total out of Walker/Rose, of the max 164? Will Tom Thibodeau be tempted, as we all know he can be, to play them together during the regular season when the moment begs for it, even if their wheels require something else?

We can worry about that later.

For now, we can enjoy the moment, a grand moment of homecoming, a great moment when two of the game?s dynamic point guards will team up for a city of would-be point guards, all of us capable of driving-and-kicking in our dreams, all of us yearning to push the ball up the floor, Bernard on our left and DeBusschere on our right.

Back on Sunday, Jan. 14, 2007, the Garden was unwittingly treated to a preview of this pairing in the old ?Super Six? tripleheader. Rose?s Simeon was the 14th-ranked high school team in the country and Memphis-bound Rose lived up to his billing as a surefire 2008 first-rounder by pouring in 22 points, eight of them in an electrifying fourth quarter.

Kemba Walker celebrates after hitting a game-winning buzzer beater in the 2011 Big East Championship at MSG.
Kemba Walker celebrates after hitting a game-winning buzzer beater in the 2011 Big East Championship at MSG.
Anthony J. Causi
But Walker, a junior, held his own for Rice, the longtime Manhattan power that closed in 2011. He scored 16 points, guarded Rose the whole day, and raised an awful lot of eyebrows.

?I was very excited,? Walker said after Rice?s 53-51 upset was complete that day. ?I heard he is the top player in the country and I wanted my chance to prove myself against him. I think I did.?

SEE ALSO

Kemba Walker signing with Knicks after Thunder buyout
Kemba Walker signing with Knicks after Thunder buyout
?We didn?t win,? Rose said, ?and I blame me for that.?

Fourteen years later the players have one NCAA title and one-runner-up between them, they have seven All-Star appearances, two All-NBA nods and one MVP trophy between them. And come the fall, they will have the ball in their hands an awful lot as the Knicks try to keep their heads above water in an Eastern Conference that has gotten a lot tougher, and deeper, since the season ended.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong. There is no question about that.

But if most can go right? If Walker and Rose can combine for 55 minutes a game, combine for 150 games, combine to give the Knicks the kind of dynamic two-headed playmaker they haven?t had ? dare we say ? since Clyde Frazier and Pearl Monroe? Yeah. A city of would-be and wannabe point guards is going to be awfully happy.

And the Knicks are going to be awfully fun

mafra

Legend
After Walker signs, New York will have 13 players on traditional NBA contracts. Once first-round pick Quentin Grimes signs, that number will jump to 14.

So they have one traditional NBA roster spot remaining and two two-way spots.

At the moment, the club has room for a couple two-way players and another player on a standard NBA deal. But they have to agree to terms with McBride and Jericho Sims. Assuming they reach deals with both players, there will be room for another player on either a standard NBA deal or two-way contract.

The Knicks and Walker are expected to agree on a two-year deal worth roughly $8 million annually, a source confirmed.

This means Walker is expected to take up the rest of the Knicks? cap space.

They will have to use exceptions to sign the 15th player. The Knicks have the $4.9 million room exception and can use veteran?s minimum exceptions.

New York can go in a number of different directions with the final roster spot, but the club filled its biggest need on Wednesday by securing Walker.

Julius Randle gets a 4 year 117 million dollar extension. His deal is now worth 5 years 140 million. Last year is a player option.

2 years ago, Porzingis signed an extension to pay him 5 years 158 million.

So, by trading KP and ending up with Randle, we saved 18 million over 5 years and got a 2nd team All-NBA player instead of a guy who hasn?t made an All-Star team since he left us and has bad knees.

Randle could have waited for his deal to expire at the end of the season to sign a 200 million dollar deal, so by signing now, Randle and the front office really preserved a lot of future cap space. Randle seems committed to building a winner here.

mafra

Legend
The most important question the front office needed to answer was if they believed in this Randle-RJ breakout year. Based on their moves, I think we have our answer.

We get a 26 year All Star for 29 mil a year while CHI signed 32 year old DeRozan for 28 mil per year.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Quoth Adrian Wojnarowski:

?Randle could?ve waited for his contract to expire next season and signed a new $200 million deal, but extending now off his current $19.8 million salary for 2021-22 gives the Knicks financial flexibility to shape the roster and allows him to commit through his prime to a franchise and city he has come to adore ? and one that has come to adore him

mafra

Legend
Evan Fournier finished Thursday's 90-89 win over Slovenia with a line of 23 points (8-of-15 FGs, 3-of-3 FTs), five rebounds, three assists and four 3-pointers in 28 minutes.

France clinched a spot in the gold medal game in dramatic fashion, thanks to Nicolas Batum's block of a Klemen Prepelic layup attempt just before time expired. Fournier had a very good game shooting the ball, but foul trouble led to his night ending prematurely. One of the newest members of the Knicks will now look to clinch his nation's first-ever Olympic gold medal in men's basketball Friday night, as France takes on the United States. France won the group stage meeting between the two teams, beating the Americans by seven.

Julius Randle isn't a #1 option in any offense, period. It not to say I don't like Randle which I do but he isn't the guy to take the final shot. If the F.O. believe that Randle/RJ last year performance was breakout then they are in for a rude awakening. No matter what happen during the regular season. The playoff showed all of the problems that an offense built around those two isn't good. Randle isn't a #1 option so when was this problem solve? RJ isn't a SG and never has been so when was this problem solve? If you got a problem with RJ observation ask yourself this why is it very year the Knicks keep looking for shooter. The reason is because they aren't getting it from their SG.

Paying Randle that much money and now he is(not become) an anvil around your neck. Who then wants that contract of a #2 option player at best? If he can have the same year as last year then maybe but just wait until the season is over. But you keep coming back to the same issue... He is not a #1 option!! Bless his soul because he try's I can say that about him. It just not in his DNA.

BTW, the only player on the Knicks that should take a final shot is D. Rose, period MVP.

To be fair, Randle didn?t really get a #1 option contract. He didn?t make the front office wait to sign him to a 200 million dollar deal next off-season. We could have future cap space to add a #1 option with a bigger deal than what Randle took.

mafra

Legend
Randle received about what am aged CP3 got, an ancient DeRozan and an unproven Norman Powell.

With Kemba and Evan, Randle is now a second option and won?t have to be dominant ball handling point forward.

Didn?t Karl Malone have Stockton?

Kemba and Evan are gonna make people eat some words. Huge upgrades over Payton and Dotson. Like going from a scurrilous scarred seahag to a supermodel.