2021 Free Agent Stuff

mafra

Legend
Yikes indeed! Terrible decision.

We got Evan cheaper than what POR gave to Norman Powell, another guy we supposedly coveted.

I read an estimate that Fournier?s 4th year team option represents 20.8 million of his 78 million dollar deal.

So, we really are paying 3 years 57 million for Fournier.

Powell gets 5 years 90 million with Portland. If none of that is a team option, Powell is getting similar per year money to Fournier but with a 5 year commitment. Both are 28 years old. Very similar stats.

I don?t think there is a clear route to championship contention for this franchise. We?re forever missing that one transcendent star player that can change that. We?ve tried tanking and still haven?t gotten that guy. I feel like our front office at least gave us a team where we walk into the season saying ?this is a playoff team with upside?.

If Randle can play as well as he did last season, I?ll take it. I would be shocked if he plays better, but you never know.

Maybe our route is clear when it comes to a path to championship contention. Invest in good knowledgeable BB people. It doesn't help when we let someone like Clarence Gaines go with Craig Robinson being his replacement. When we let D. Rose walk and bring him back 3 years later and not one person says anything about why was he let go. There are reason for moves like that and they all lead back to Perry. The current team will never achieve anything close to a respectable team as long as Perry is there. He just sign a new contract so that means he will be in NY for some time. So what does any of that have to do with clear route? We have multiple problems but it clear to me that our path to championship contention comes from within. That means drafting wisely and good player development. Sitting Frank and Knox and not letting them play themselves into a well rounded player isn't Frank and Knox fault but Management. If you don't agree just look at management playing RJ for two straight years and he should have been on the bench. This was Perry and Mills mistake but they had to showcase him to save face. This was done at the expense of the team. It takes good BB people to make an organization into a championship contententor.

Tanking in the wrong year to tank(1st year of restrictions for it) isn't very smart of Perry and Mills. (a.) because it was the 1st year of restriction and the league was making sure it worked. (b.) the talent pool in that draft (1st year of restriction) was very poor. So there was no plan B but they should've tank to begin with. This past draft should have been the 1st year to tank not because it would produce a Transformative player but we could have gotten one or two players that would help this team. All of a sudden the F.O. knows how to trade back when that is what should have happen when they drafted at #3 two years ago.

If you think the F.O. gave us a team where we walk into the season saying "this is a playoff team with upside".... Then Good Luck With That!!! Before you turn the page look at all the teams that normally make the playoff in the Eastern C. but didn't make it this year but were drafting in the lottery picks. Just Look then get back with me.

Something has to give when it comes to Randle and RJ playing as many minutes as they do. First of all it hurting the teams offense and players rotation.

Someone confirmed online that all the multi year deals the Knicks signed are non-guaranteed team options in their final years.

We already knew Evan Fournier was a 3 year deal with a 4th year team option.

Now we know that Alec Burks, Nerlens Noel, and Derrick Rose are all signed to 2 year deals with a 3rd year team option.

That?s huge. It means even though we have used our cap space, we will go back to having the ability to have major cap space again in 2 off-seasons (2023).

On top of that, if the opportunity arises next off-season (2022) to improve through free agency, Rose, Burks, and Noel are all deals that expire in 1 year that can be moved (Fournier will only have 2 years left and also be movable).

Say what you want, our front office does okay with cap management now.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks still haven’t signed their playmaking PG with Schroeder, Reggie Jackson and Dinwiddie still available. Knicks have about 9M in cap space left but could extend it by waiving Vidoza and using KK contract in a SnT. I wouldn’t have brought Payton back but Perry has always had a love fest for him back from his Magic days. Perry got lucky getting extended after the Knicks made their first playoff appearance since 2013 but him paying backup guys 8 figure contracts makes me less impressed with him going forward. I’ll change my opinion if Vildoza looks like he can be an NBA PG or if he can sign Dinwiddie, Jackson or Schroeder.

Knicks still haven?t signed their playmaking PG with Schroeder, Reggie Jackson and Dinwiddie still available. Knicks have about 9M in cap space left but could extend it by waiving Vidoza and using KK contract in a SnT. I wouldn?t have brought Payton back but Perry has always had a love fest for him back from his Magic days. Perry got lucky getting extended after the Knicks made their first playoff appearance since 2013 but him paying backup guys 8 figure contracts makes me less impressed with him going forward. I?ll change my opinion if Vildoza looks like he can be an NBA PG or if he can sign Dinwiddie, Jackson or Schroeder.

Dinwiddie seems like he is going to Washington (for more money than I would have wanted to pay him). The market for Schroeder seems non-existent which maybe means we shouldn?t want him, but seems like he could be worth it if gotten on the cheap.

Reggie Jackson would be my choice.

It seems unlikely we will get either Schroeder or Jackson since we?ve used so much of our cap space already, but, given that neither Rose nor Taj count against the cap and like you said, a Knox sign and trade is an option, maybe we?ll get one of them. It does seem like we still have more money to offer than a lot of other teams have left at this point in free agency.

Man, I hope we don?t end up with another year of Payton (especially as our starter).

Is this real? Just read online report that Kemba Walker has agreed to buyout with OKC and will sign with Knicks?

Kemba Walker to Knicks? This seems real.

Getting reported by multiple sources now.

Kemba Walker to join Knicks. He?s coming off a mediocre season, but still, huge upgrade at PG for us without losing any assets in the process.

tiger0330

Legend
Dinwiddie seems like he is going to Washington (for more money than I would have wanted to pay him). The market for Schroeder seems non-existent which maybe means we shouldn’t want him, but seems like he could be worth it if gotten on the cheap.

Reggie Jackson would be my choice.

It seems unlikely we will get either Schroeder or Jackson since we’ve used so much of our cap space already, but, given that neither Rose nor Taj count against the cap and like you said, a Knox sign and trade is an option, maybe we’ll get one of them. It does seem like we still have more money to offer than a lot of other teams have left at this point in free agency.

Man, I hope we don’t end up with another year of Payton (especially as our starter).
Won’t be easy for the Wiz to sign Dinwiddie, they’re over the cap and will need to SnT someone or more likely find a 3rd team to be able to sign him. Not sure why Perry brought back Payton so soon in FA when these guys were still available, we could have used his salary for a bigger fish than him. Thibs will probably use Payton and Rose like he did last season if we don’t get a PG with EP starting and Rose coming off the bench but getting more minutes and finishing.

Won’t be easy for the Wiz to sign Dinwiddie, they’re over the cap and will need to SnT someone or more likely find a 3rd team to be able to sign him. Not sure why Perry brought back Payton so soon in FA when these guys were still available, we could have used his salary for a bigger fish than him. Thibs will probably use Payton and Rose like he did last season if we don’t get a PG with EP starting and Rose coming off the bench but getting more minutes and finishing.

No Payton this year, buddy. We got Kemba!

mafra

Legend
Wow. We don?t overspend for Reggie Jax or Dennis Schroeder. We don?t trade the farm for a ? in Sexton.

With the OKC buyout, we should get Kemba on a cheap deal.

Now we officially have vastly improved offensively, going from EP to KW and RB to EF. Randle and RJ will benefit!

We maintain continuity, and Thibbs gets to be the alpha voice still.

Now we don?t need to be desperate for the first option. We can wait on Dame and enjoy a good season.

This is a 2 year window with this team.

mafra

Legend
I?m hearing Kemba will get roughly 8 mil a year. Mr McBride better hope for an injury?

Tommy Beer
@TommyBeer
?
14m
In EACH of the last five seasons, Kemba Walker has averaged more than 19 points, more than 4 assists and 3+ made 3-pointers per game.

In the 75 years history of the Knicks franchise, no PG has ever averaged at least 19 points and 4 dimes and 3 treys in any single season.

Jason Collins gets 5 years 125 million from Hawks. 5th year is a player option. Collins is a nice player but that seems like too much for him when I think a bunch of other guys could do what he does when sharing the court with a superstar like Trae Young.

If KW is that good why is OKC buying him out? Is there something wrong with Walker? He doesn't fit in Hornets, He doesn't fit for the Celtics, and now a buyout at OKC!!

Alarm bells are going off in my head that it isn't something right with this player. JUST ME!!

If KW is that good why is OKC buying him out? Is there something wrong with Walker? He doesn't fit in Hornets, He doesn't fit for the Celtics, and now a buyout at OKC!!

Alarm bells are going off in my head that it isn't something right with this player. JUST ME!!

OKC has infinite draft picks and will continue to use cap space created by buyout to end up with 20 more picks by the time they?re done. Trading for Kemba already got them a 1st round pick from Boston which they?ve since turned into two more 1st round picks. Sam Presti has no interest in veterans. He wants to play his young players, stay in the lottery, and keep accumulating picks.

Kemba has knee issues but he?s a PG who averaged 19 and 5 last season and we?re getting him on what sounds like a 1 year deal for 8 million. Not sure how anyone can have a problem with rolling with this move unless you?d rather we bring back Elfrid Payton for similar money.

I thought so.... forgetting that Walker is a injury risk for the last few years. Drowning People grab after straws!!

From NY Post:
"Walker never considered the Knicks when he left Charlotte for Boston as a free agent in 2019 because his family felt playing in his hometown would create too many distractions, sources said at the time".
So what happen to the many distractions?? Nobody wants him anymore with a big contract and being injury-prone.

Desperation on both the Knicks part and his. WHY??

Wait and develop your own player and stop with these stop-gap players. If you think that much of IQ then try him at PG(it would be a disaster but he is 6'3").

This team look like a Frankstein monster built of spare player from teams that discard them or they died.

There a term in gambling that "All money ain't good money". Just think about it before you start jumping up and down.

OKC has infinite draft picks and will continue to use cap space created by buyout to end up with 20 more picks by the time they’re done. Trading for Kemba already got them a 1st round pick from Boston which they’ve since turned into two more 1st round picks. Sam Presti has no interest in veterans. He wants to play his young players, stay in the lottery, and keep accumulating picks.

Kemba has knee issues but he’s a PG who averaged 19 and 5 last season and we’re getting him on what sounds like a 1 year deal for 8 million. Not sure how anyone can have a problem with rolling with this move unless you’d rather we bring back Elfrid Payton for similar money.

I never wanted Payton to begin with... So let get that straight.

Your first paragraph is what I have been saying we should be doing as a team. Because NO STARS WANT TO COME TO THE KNICKS. So I agree with OKC method of doing business. They are trying to build from within which is a very smart move. I don't see that with this F.O. and definitely not with this move.

Not to trying to argue with you about this. Just tell me how does this benefit us for one year with a often injury player? Wouldn't this one year be better service giving the PG(whole year) to let say Frank? Am I missing something??

tiger0330

Legend
I never wanted Payton to begin with... So let get that straight.

Your first paragraph is what I have been saying we should be doing as a team. Because NO STARS WANT TO COME TO THE KNICKS. So I agree with OKC method of doing business. They are trying to build from within which is a very smart move. I don't see that with this F.O. and definitely not with this move.

Not to trying to argue with you about this. Just tell me how does this benefit us for one year with a often injury player? Wouldn't this one year be better service giving the PG(whole year) to let say Frank? Am I missing something??
If you weigh the pluses and minuses of acquiring Kemba, my bet the consensus will be the Knicks made out like bandits in acquiring a 4 time AS on a one year 8M deal. He'll play his ass off for his next contract while a Knick. Bottom line is we got a starting caliber PG for this season which was a priority this off season.