2021 Free Agent Stuff

mafra

Legend
Yeah, just when you were believing the new regime had a clue? and we?re cool with bidding time until something good comes along?

We go and do this! The dude is always injured and he looked awful n playoffs, playing with Brown and Tatum.

All I have to say is: Yuck!!!

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
?
5m
Free agent Evan Fournier has agreed to a four-year deal that could be worth as much as $78M with the New York Knicks, source tells ESP

mafra

Legend
If we sign Dennis Schroeder too, I am officially ending my relationship with the NYK. This signing hurts?

Decent player but not worth the money. Better off using the cap space to absorb a bad contract and get future assets.

He?ll miss 40 games and won?t be a difference maker when on the court. So, have to ask yourself why?

Knicks have more or less spent all their cap space on Fournier, Rose, Noel, and Burks.

All deals are 3 years with Fournier also getting a team option for a 4th year.

I think this roster is going to be in play again for a mid seed in the East (4 to 6), but we?re still lightyears away from competing with the elite in the East.

I think the conversation to be had is whether it is better to continue to sit on the league?s most cap space year after year or spend it on players you can when you know off-season after off-season you are never a destination for star players.

The good news for the Knicks is that none of their contracts are that big. Every contract should be movable with limited difficulty because they are all under 20 million per year (except for Randle?s eventual deal).

Lonzo Ball got 4 years 85 million. Jarrett Allen got 5 years 100 million.

Neither of those deals would make me feel any better than 3 years 57 million (or whatever it averages out to) for Fournier minus that 4th year team option.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Obviously, Rose is bidding his time for a Dame or Beal trade, and next year?s free agent class. Then, most likely, it?s Wait for Zion, and any other star of the week.

I get we need shooting, but why gamble money on a nondescript oft-injured losing player? Has to be better options? better use of the space.

Unless, of course, the goal is to battle for the 6th seed and being competitive in first round.

EF doesn?t make you a contending club, he?s not a 1-2-or-3 option. When you are a borderline lottery team, you don?t use cap space for this. You accumulate assets!!!

Fournier definitely doesn?t make us a contender, but he makes our starting lineup better.

I assume our starters will be MRob, Randle, RJ, Fournier, and Rose.

Fournier replaces Reggie Bullock. Fournier is just as good a 3 point shooter as Bullock, but unlike Bullock, Fournier can create his own shot and draw fouls to get to the line. Fournier is a better passer than Bullock. Bullock is the better defender but Fournier is not a defensive liability.

I?d rather rather have Fournier at 19 million per year for 3 years than Bullock at 10 million per year for 3 years (deal he got from Dallas).

That 4th year team option makes the Fournier deal look worse than it is. If you subtract out the team option I?m assuming the deal looks more like 3 years for 57 million. We had the cap space for the upgrade and no one else to spend it on.

Obviously, Rose is bidding his time for a Dame or Beal trade, and next year?s free agent class. Then, most likely, it?s Wait for Zion, and any other star of the week.

I get we need shooting, but why gamble money on a nondescript oft-injured losing player? Has to be better options? better use of the space.

Unless, of course, the goal is to battle for the 6th seed and being competitive in first round.

EF doesn?t make you a contending club, he?s not a 1-2-or-3 option. When you are a borderline lottery team, you don?t use cap space for this. You accumulate assets!!!

These less than 20 million per year contracts of 3 years or less don?t scare me. I think they?re very movable. Our front office keeps accumulating picks. If you need to move a deal that?s got 1 or 2 years left at 18 to 19 million per year, you can probably do it by packaging a 2nd round pick to one of the teams that?s always tanking with cap space each season.

We?d probably have to add a similar or worse contract with our cap space to get an asset from another team and getting 1st round picks seems hard unless you take a really bad contract back.

In the meantime, if adding another scorer maybe gets you from a 45 win team to 50 win team, I think it makes sense.

You know what makes me think more than anything our front office is doing a better job now?

WE DIDN?T BRING BACK ELFRID PAYTON AGAIN!

In summary, we brought back our rotation that was the 4th seed last year, upgraded Bullock to Fournier, ditched Elfrid Payton, and we added a couple guys in the draft who could contribute as soon as this coming season. Year 2 of Toppin and Quickley could be fun.

I?m not mad about how things turned out. My expectations were virtually zero for this off-season, so I?m fine with how things have played out.

We have assets to make a big trade over the course of the next 12 months I think. The biggest question is whether or not we can avoid repeating what happened with Melo.

On the flip side, the Boston Celtics are the new version of the Knicks in free agency.

Boston has done nothing and are now trying to sell fans on how they are focused on the 2022 off-season. Sound familiar?

Someone noted online that Knicks now have 6 rotational players who shot at least 38% from 3 last season. They added 2 players in the draft who shot over 40% from deep in college last year.

Knicks are building a bomb squad from deep, along with 2 of the best shot blockers in the NBA in the rotation. This is a real decent attempt by our front office to create a team built for the modern NBA.

Kiyaman

Legend
Wow! We got another Isiah Thomas GM whose foolish $$$ signing wont make the playoffs.
The thought of having certain veteran players return for next season (Noels, Gibson, Bullock, Burks, D.Rose), gave me expectation of the Knicks playing on the Same-Page next season.
Having Bullock's same-page performance for another season, I believe would have gave us 10 times the performance we will receive from Fournier next season. Fournier did nothing in Boston playoff to impress me on signing him. It has to be Fournier drive in France Olympics games for the GOLD tomorrow have Leon sending contracts to Tokyo.

We really messed up in the draft by trading our 19th pick for a future pick.
We need a couple of Wing SF .. RJ Barrett's individual inconsistent performance are terrible on the wing.
We should've took Jalen Johnson with the 19th pick in the draft, and resign Bullocks !!!
We no longer need Burks when we are resigning D.Rose, plus we draft 2 young defensive guards in McBride & Grimes.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks improved, simply by virtue of consistency. Running it back is establishing something. Rose, Burks, Noel were nice rotation pieces, as evident of our W/L record with Rose.

EF a big upgrade offensively over RB, even if we lose something on the other end of the court. I worry about his ability to stay healthy or his ability to elevate his game. Does he impact winning or is he just a player who could hit a shot, when the opponent was going through the motions and his team trailed by 20?

What I saw with BOS was pathetic. But, maybe we attribute that to Covid. Hopefully he fits in chemistry-wise. He?s a local kid. I would have preferred Gary Trent Jr, personally, given the higher upside. I mean, at best we hope we get the player EF was in ORL? And, if we that, is that something impressive?

Does this mean they deal for Sexton and make a run with this group next 2-3 years?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Not gonna lie I'm not thrilled with some of these moves. Committing too much cap space over the next 3 years to a bunch of older veterans doesn't seem like a good idea

Continuing to preserve cap space means continuing to buy into this idea that in some off-season we?re going to sign star players. I guess I?ve given up on that ever happening and I?d rather see the Knicks bring in some guys on movable deals that can help us now.

mafra

Legend
Continuing to preserve cap space means continuing to buy into this idea that in some off-season we?re going to sign star players. I guess I?ve given up on that ever happening and I?d rather see the Knicks bring in some guys on movable deals that can help us now.

Which is why they need to complete this, by making a trade for Sexton. Can?t wait for Dame, and Sexton could be flipped to POR.

I would feel a lot better about this off-season then?.