Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Veteran

In summary, we brought back our rotation that was the 4th seed last year, upgraded Bullock to Fournier, ditched Elfrid Payton, and we added a couple guys in the draft who could contribute as soon as this coming season. Year 2 of Toppin and Quickley could be fun.

I’m not mad about how things turned out. My expectations were virtually zero for this off-season, so I’m fine with how things have played out.

We have assets to make a big trade over the course of the next 12 months I think. The biggest question is whether or not we can avoid repeating what happened with Melo.

Veteran

On the flip side, the Boston Celtics are the new version of the Knicks in free agency.

Boston has done nothing and are now trying to sell fans on how they are focused on the 2022 off-season. Sound familiar?

Veteran

Someone noted online that Knicks now have 6 rotational players who shot at least 38% from 3 last season. They added 2 players in the draft who shot over 40% from deep in college last year.

Knicks are building a bomb squad from deep, along with 2 of the best shot blockers in the NBA in the rotation. This is a real decent attempt by our front office to create a team built for the modern NBA.

Knows the team

Wow! We got another Isiah Thomas GM whose foolish $$$ signing wont make the playoffs.
    The thought of having certain veteran players return for next season (Noels, Gibson, Bullock, Burks, D.Rose), gave me expectation of the Knicks playing on the Same-Page next season.
    Having Bullock's same-page performance for another season, I believe would have gave us 10 times the performance we will receive from Fournier next season. Fournier did nothing in Boston playoff to impress me on signing him. It has to be Fournier drive in France Olympics games for the GOLD tomorrow have Leon sending contracts to Tokyo.

We really messed up in the draft by trading our 19th pick for a future pick.
    We need a couple of Wing SF .. RJ Barrett's individual inconsistent performance are terrible on the wing.
    We should've took Jalen Johnson with the 19th pick in the draft, and resign Bullocks !!!
    We no longer need Burks when we are resigning D.Rose, plus we draft 2 young defensive guards in McBride & Grimes.

The Knicks improved, simply by virtue of consistency. Running it back is establishing something. Rose, Burks, Noel were nice rotation pieces, as evident of our W/L record with Rose.

EF a big upgrade offensively over RB, even if we lose something on the other end of the court. I worry about his ability to stay healthy or his ability to elevate his game. Does he impact winning or is he just a player who could hit a shot, when the opponent was going through the motions and his team trailed by 20?

What I saw with BOS was pathetic. But, maybe we attribute that to Covid. Hopefully he fits in chemistry-wise. He’s a local kid. I would have preferred Gary Trent Jr, personally, given the higher upside. I mean, at best we hope we get the player EF was in ORL? And, if we that, is that something impressive?

Does this mean they deal for Sexton and make a run with this group next 2-3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    You know what makes me think more than anything our front office is doing a better job now?

WE DIDN’T BRING BACK ELFRID PAYTON AGAIN!
    Hey think again!!
    We just resign Payton... For Real!!

Veteran

Not gonna lie I'm not thrilled with some of these moves. Committing too much cap space over the next 3 years to a bunch of older veterans doesn't seem like a good idea

Veteran

Continuing to preserve cap space means continuing to buy into this idea that in some off-season we’re going to sign star players. I guess I’ve given up on that ever happening and I’d rather see the Knicks bring in some guys on movable deals that can help us now.

Rose trying to keep Melo from Lakers… Making it tough for Anthony to turn down NYK offer.

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Continuing to preserve cap space means continuing to buy into this idea that in some off-season we’re going to sign star players. I guess I’ve given up on that ever happening and I’d rather see the Knicks bring in some guys on movable deals that can help us now.

Which is why they need to complete this, by making a trade for Sexton. Can’t wait for Dame, and Sexton could be flipped to POR.

I would feel a lot better about this off-season then….

The real is any of these moves makes better than teams above us and stay better than the teams below us??

My answer is the Knicks are in for a rough next 4 to 5 years. Just what I have seen for awhile now and every move says it true.

Fournier made sense for this roster bc he’s arguably the best shooter on the market. Duncan Robinson wasn’t leaving MIA… Evan compliments Randle and RJ, bc he spaces the floor and he can create his own offense.

Evan was coach by Thibbs best pal Clifford and Perry was there in ORL when they grabbed the Frenchman.

So, you understand the fit. He’s expensive, as are most free agents. But this isn’t signing Vin Baker.

Knicks had one of the best reserve units in NBA, and the fortified their second string by sighing Rose, AB, & Noel.

I’m other words, this team is a dominant PG away from competing. Sexton or Dame and this team is suddenly in the mix….

There’s more to come. I guarantee there is a trade in the works. Thibbs has continuity, and he has a roster that will work hard for him. We hat alone is enough to survive regular season and get into playoffs. Not bad to give Randle-RJ a 2 year window to see what they can mature into. Rose has surrounded them with quality players.

Go get Sexton. Wait for Dame. Compete.

Veteran

Yeah, we add Lillard or Sexton, it certainly makes the end result look better. De’Aaron Fox’s name has come up a couple times now too.

I really think the media has done a disservice by continuing to report the Fournier deal as 4 years, 78 million. That 4th year is a team option and will be the biggest yearly amount in that deal. I don’t think what we’re actually paying, 3 years 58 or so million, is that big a deal at all for an efficient 3 level scorer in his prime who is not a defensive liability and whose value dropped simply because of a month or so of mediocre basketball after getting COVID.

With the addition of Fournier, I’m assuming it makes it more acceptable to our front office to move RJ in a trade for a star player. I still say it is unlikely we make a blockbuster trade, but say we did do it, we now would still have a starting lineup when it’s done.
    Last edited by htr10; Aug 03, 2021 at 10:40.

Veteran

I just read online that we can wait to complete signing the contract with Derrick Rose using his early Bird rights and go over the cap after using more cap space first.

By doing this, we still 8.8 million in cap space to use this off-season.

Jonathan Macri on Twitter proposed that we could use this cap space and a sign of trade of Kevin Knox to get Dennis Schroder. I’m not necessarily saying we should do this, but certainly interesting the potential for cap manipulation.

Yeah, if we sign DS I will weep. I have to believe they have their aspirations set a little higher. But, yes, we could wait and use the Rose money for another signing. We have wiggle room….

CHI made a run at Rose and BOS wanted EF (at a certain price), so NYK had to go where they went and had to act quickly to get them, or else be left one at the altar… And, without Rose and EF, Randle and RJ would struggle and their development be stunted.

So, now they finally have to find a PG. I think they’ll hard at work… let’s see what they can find.

Add Fox, Sexton, or Dame and the future is bright.

Remember, EF did shoot nearly 50% from downtown for BOS. This is what RJ and Randle need. Bullock couldn’t space the floor…