Knicks 2021-2022 Pre-season

Kiyaman

Legend
Article about Obi you guys might not have seen.
When Obi Toppin entered the game Tuesday, his first appearance of the preseason, it didn't take long for him to make an impact.
He grabbed a rebound on a missed free throw by Indiana's Domantas Sabonis and immediately turned upcourt, dribbling the length of the floor and converting a layup as he outraced the smaller defenders. If the speed seemed different than his frame, it wasn't the only part of his game to belie expectations.
Toppin looked like a different player than the one who began his rookie season with the Knicks just under a year ago, not in stature or athleticism, but in attitude. The tentativeness that countered his talents at the start now seems a thing of the past. While a preseason game may mean little, just as his stellar play in summer league can be fool's gold, it is the year of experience, a steady postseason performance and plain hard work that have changed Toppin this time around.
"I feel a lot more comfortable," Toppin said. "I feel like I've put in a lot of work this summer, not only me but everyone here. We put in a lot of work and there is just the start. This is just preseason.
"We still have a lot of work to do for the regular season and moving forward. I feel like I just have a little bit more knowledge of being here now. I feel like I've kind of put my foot in the water already, so I kind of have a feel of what it's like playing out there. The fans weren't like how the playoffs were, but they're still fans out there in the building and we feed off the energy they've had. It was just an amazing atmosphere."
While Toppin was the first draft pick of the current regime he felt the pressure last season as Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau often gave him a quick hook in his limited opportunities. Toppin admitted earlier in camp that he didn't need to wait for Thibodeau to send his replacement to the scorer's table. He knew the mistake he'd made and knew the hook would be coming.
But he spent the entire summer either in the gym in New York or with the team in Las Vegas, mimicking the work habits of the player who he has backed up, Julius Randle.
Subscribe to Newsday's sports newsletter
Receive stories, photos and videos about your favorite New York teams plus national sports news and events.
By clicking Sign up, you agree to our privacy policy.
"He's gotten a lot better," Thibodeau said. "He's put a lot of extra time in. But I think more than anything, it's probably the experience. I thought last year was difficult in some ways for him because of not really having the summer league, a fall, where you can grow into it. And he's one of those guys that with repetition, he gets a lot more confident.
"I think the game has slowed down a little bit. I like the way he played offensively. He wasn't rushing at all and made good decisions. And he's skilled."
It isn't just comfort with his own place in the game, but also on the second unit. The Knicks brought back Derrick Rose, Alec Burks and Taj Gibson as free agents and all three could be on the second unit together again, along with last year's rookies, Toppin and Immanuel Quickley. When Rose arrived in a trade last season it helped turn Toppin's fortunes, from teachings off the court to finding him running the floor on it.
"I feel like our second unit, because we're kind of the same as last year, I feel like we're comfortable playing with each other,' Toppin said. "And it's just a matter of getting on the court, doing what we have to do to either keep the lead, improve the lead or bring it back if we're down a couple of points, bring back the lead. We know when we get onto the court we know our job is to bring the energy and just fight as much as we can, so when the first unit comes back in, they know they just got to continue off of what we did."-

Obi Toppin & Quickley & Grimes performed the 6 second or less transition game like pro's in the summer league games .. Toppin dynamic performance reminded me of Amare Stoudemire, and Grimes reminded me of Marion.

It seems like coach Thibs hasn't change a bit .. It doesn't matter how well Obi Toppin & Quickley perform, Thibs like Fizdale are gonna play Randle & Barrett 40 minutes in the preseason games.
Today the Knicks play the Lottery Washington Wizards, a game we need to rest Randle & Barrett, but play all the new players in todays rotation.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knox has 12 pts in 11 min .. shooting 4-5 from 3's .. Knox feel real comfortable in the transition game D.Rose & Quickley run on the 2nd unit lineup.
Obi did well playing in Kemba RJ and Evans half-court offensive lineup today..

Dinwiddle & Beal backcourt are gonna surprise & upset a lot of teams this season.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Randle's DNP for the game, I was hoping Barrett would be DNP too, so we could've seen rookie Grimes on the 2nd unit lineup, and Burks in the starter lineup with Kemba & Evans

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Randle's DNP for the game, I was hoping Barrett would be DNP too, so we could've seen rookie Grimes on the 2nd unit lineup, and Burks in the starter lineup with Kemba & Evans

we keep forgetting that Barret is 21 years old and needs all the available time to improve his skills. he is not like old and established player that hit his max. the more playing time Barret gets, the better he will be. he is higher priority than the new rooks

LOL!!
Are you Serious?? There is nothing more you can get from RJ. The game is 48 minutes and he plays nearly 40 with his stat's. It's only 8 minutes left!!! Do the math.

He is at his MAXI!!

There a standard to measure from and that is Benard King. He a #3 overall pick.... Do you see anything close to B.K.???

tiger0330

Legend
24-52 3s made was the highlight of the second preseason game. Holding a revamped Wiz squad to less than 100 pts was also notable, Wiz aren't bad after acquiring Dinwiddie and getting Harrell, Kuzma and KCP in the Westbrook trade. RJ with AS aspirations according to Rebecca Harlow and if he continues shooting 50% from 3 by the AS break, he might make it. Beating the Wiz without their best player JR who was out for personal reasons is also a good sign.

mafra

Legend
we keep forgetting that Barret is 21 years old and needs all the available time to improve his skills. he is not like old and established player that hit his max. the more playing time Barret gets, the better he will be. he is higher priority than the new rooks

He?s shooting 50% from downtown so far? he made huge strides from year 1 to year 2? I look forward to seeing how much he grows this season.

Kemba and Evan will allow him to flourish more, with increased space. He?s a worker, and is dedicated to his craft. By 24, he should be an All Star caliber player. Or perhaps he?ll peak and just be a solid starter.

mafra

Legend
From the guys at Poasting and Toasting

- RJ Barrett was far from perfect Saturday night. He only shot 5-12 from the field, and he missed several attempts at the rim. The Wizards? busy hands bothered him on several drives, as he coughed up the ball to the tune of 5 turnovers.

But his defense on Beal was, quite frankly, spectacular. The league?s second-leading scorer last season was limited to 14 points on 5-13 shooting, and was visibly frustrated by the time he checked out for good in the third quarter. It was a masterful response to those who believed he couldn?t replace Reggie Bullock as the Knicks? top perimeter stopper. Bullock was a great role player, but anything he can do, RJ can do better. For good measure, RJ chipped in 18 points, 4 triples, and some truly great passing. As P&T?er SJComic noted, Barrett played like Barrett. This is just who he is now, and it?s awesome.

Three different positions in 3 different years.
Sound stable??
Just earn a position...Earn... Not Give a position.
How did he get push out of PG? How did he get push out of SG? Now you give him SF. Shouldn't the position be open for whoever earn it?? Knicks Can't do that... just like PG and SG.
If you play almost 40 minutes a game every game a little better at it every time. Got an average player now that can't play a lick of defense. Now with A.S. asperations!!

Do you have any standards (B.King) which to judge by??

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks first pre season game tonight against the Pacers. They will play 4 games in the preseason.

Tue, 10/5 vsIND
7:30 PM
Sat, 10/9 @WSH
7:00 PM
Wed, 10/13 vsDET
Fri, 10/15 vs WSH

We will play 4 lottery bound teams in the Preseason games ..
The Knicks under Thibs short rotation should look good to win all 4 preseason games.
However, all 3 Knicks opponents looked to have drafted a star highlight player from the 2021 draft class: Pacers 6.6 Chris Duarte, Wizards 6.6 Corey Kispert, and Pistons #1 pick 6.9 Cade Cunningham.

The Knicks added 5 new players to the 2021-22 roster:
Two vets in Kemba & Fournier
And three rookies Grimes, McBride, and Sims

All the Knicks players from last season has played outstandingly well in the 2 preseason games.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks have made 35 three-pointers in the TWO preseason games they have played this year.
However, last year the Knicks made 36 three-pointers in their four preseason games.
Did our 3- ball shooting improve? 29% in game 1, and 46% in game 2

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
He?s shooting 50% from downtown so far? he made huge strides from year 1 to year 2? I look forward to seeing how much he grows this season.

Kemba and Evan will allow him to flourish more, with increased space. He?s a worker, and is dedicated to his craft. By 24, he should be an All Star caliber player. Or perhaps he?ll peak and just be a solid starter.

Couldn't agree more, I love two things about him, his IQ and his strength & determination. and apparently he work a lot on getting better

couldn't agree more, i love two things about him, his IQ and his strength & determination.......and apparently he has good work ethics

Kiyaman

Legend
WOW! Last night Preseason Game (129-59) of the Mavs vs Hornets took Preseason Blow-Out games to another level!
A few people on the Hornets have a lot of explaining to do .. A 68 pt loss !!!
And the two high scoring players on the Mavs last night happen to be Ex-Knicks players KP & Hardaway Jr.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
The Knicks have signed 29-year-old guard Brandon Knight. The 6-2 veteran was the former 8th pick in the 2011 Draft by the Detroit Pistons. Terms of the deal were not disclosed but we can imagine it will end up being for the veteran?s minimum.

mafra

Legend
The New York Knicks have waived Brandon Knight, Aamir Simms and M.J. Walker on Saturday.
Knight was signed by the Knicks hours ago so looks like they changed their mind. These three will continue their basketball careers in a non-NBA setting for now.

tiger0330

Legend
WOW! Last night Preseason Game (129-59) of the Mavs vs Hornets took Preseason Blow-Out games to another level!
A few people on the Hornets have a lot of explaining to do .. A 68 pt loss !!!
And the two high scoring players on the Mavs last night happen to be Ex-Knicks players KP & Hardaway Jr.
Nits also made the cut after the Mavs decided to cut Tyrell Terry, hope that Dallas Knicks team has a great season. Lol

The Hornets loss by 68 pts shatters the old record of 54 pts in a preseason game.