home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksIndiana Pacers
Nerlens Noel - Sore left knee (QUEST)Jeremy Lamb - Sore left ankle (OUT)
Taj Gibson - Left ankle sprain (QUEST)Malcolm Brogdon - Sore left hamstring (QUEST)
-Isaiah Jackson - Hyperextended left knee (DOUBT)
-TJ Warren - Left foot injury (OUT)

Game Preview

It doesn't take much to get contention-starved fans of the New York Knicks to start daydreaming about a return not only to annual trips to the playoffs but of the team's first parade down Manhattan's Canyon of Heroes in almost 50 years.

But as the Knicks proved again Monday night, the path to becoming a championship contender is not a linear one.

The Knicks will look to bounce back from a discouraging loss when they begin a two-game road trip Wednesday night by visiting the Indiana Pacers in a battle of Eastern Conference rivals.

Both teams were off Tuesday after playing at home Monday, when the Knicks' three-game winning streak ended as they squandered a 15-point first-half lead in a 113-104 loss to the Toronto Raptors and the Pacers snapped a four-game losing streak by beating the San Antonio Spurs 131-118.

The loss dropped the Knicks to 5-2 -- the best seven-game start for the franchise since the 2012-13 team opened 6-1 on its way to New York's most recent trip beyond the first round of the playoffs.

The Knicks then tied a team record by missing the playoffs in each of the next seven seasons before Tom Thibodeau earned NBA Coach of the Year honors last year by directing New York to a fourth-place finish in the Eastern Conference and a first-round loss to the Atlanta Hawks.

But despite their fast start, the Knicks have received plenty of reminders how difficult it will be to take the next steps.

New York frittered away a 13-point lead in a 110-104 loss to the Orlando Magic on Oct. 24, were pushed to double overtime after leading the Boston Celtics by 11 points in the fourth quarter of the season opener Oct. 20 and allowed the Chicago Bulls and New Orleans Hornets to cut double-digit deficits to a basket in the final minutes last Thursday and Saturday, respectively.

The loss Monday is sure to serve as a talking point for Thibodeau, especially heading into a game with the rebuilding Pacers.

"You can get a win, feel good and usually that's when you get knocked down," Thibodeau said. "You start feeling too good about yourself, you're not going to have the right edge."

The Pacers' 2-6 record is their worst through eight games since 2014-15. But Indiana, which has suffered five losses by 10 points or fewer, finally broke through Monday, when it trailed just once -- at 11-10 -- and led by as many as 26 while maintaining a double-digit advantage for the final 29-plus minutes.

The victory provided Rick Carlisle a chance to exhale after a season-opening stretch filled with mixing and matching.

While Caris LeVert scored 16 points in 23-plus minutes in his second game Monday after missing the first six games due to a broken bone in his back, the Pacers were missing T.J. Warren, who hasn't played since Dec. 29, 2020 following foot surgery, as well as Malcolm Brogdon (left hamstring) and Jeremy Lamb (left ankle).

Brogdon has missed the last three games while Lamb was sidelined with an injury suffered against the Raptors on Saturday.

"I thought this was the kind of game we needed, the type of game we need to play," Carlisle said. "I would like not to give up 118 points, but we need to embrace this and keep working to get better."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady .. Thanks for the Game-Thread .. You pointed out our biggest problem, we have no winning strategy in the 2nd half of the game, and opponents that play with relentless defense in the 4th quarter will beat us. Coach Thibs have to come up with a plan-A and plan-B strategy in the 2nd half of the game instead of 48 min of 3-ball shooting.
I'm tired of our above the rim players MitchRob & Obi not getting double digit scoring every game because Randle's half-court offense only allows 1 or 2 touches on the ball.
Last season the Knicks won lots of games on D.Rose leadership getting Quickley & Obi to run an up-tempo transition in the 2nd half of the game. Now we run a half-court 3-ball offense for 48 min a game.

mafra

Legend
Barrett took a big leap in his sophomore season, and if his last three games are a sign of things to come, he can very well be an All-Star in just his third season at age 21.

One of his former coaches has taken notice.

?I thought his jump from last year was a major jump when you look at players around the NBA..." Mike Woodson told Ian Begley on The Putback. "He?s a young player that I can?t help but think that is gonna continue to grow, but his jump is gonna be how far this team goes. Because he?s playing big All-Star minutes. When you put up those kind of minutes, you gotta do things on the floor to help your ball club make the next step.?

On Saturday night, Barrett became just the fifth player in NBA history to have a game of 35 points, eight rebounds, six assists, and six three-pointers made - the others are LeBron James, Stephen Curry, Trae Young, and Luka Doncic. Last year, he averaged 17.6 points, 5.8 rebounds, and 3.0 assists in his age-20 season. Before last season, only James, Doncic,and Magic Johnson had done that in a full season prior to turning 21 (Zion Williamson also accomplished the feat last season).

mafra

Legend
Pacers start period on a 11-0 run. Knicks cut it to 17-12, then Indy goes on a 9-0 run?. Then Indy hits 3 at buzzer.

36-22 after 1. Knicks 2-11 from downtown and getting nada from PG.

Just as ORL loss negates 3-0 run, back to back losses to TOr and Indy negates beating PHI/CHI/BOS.

mafra

Legend
Indy 9-18 from downtown. If this continues in second half NYK will lose by double digits.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Indy 9-18 from downtown. If this continues in second half NYK will lose by double digits.
If they're like the Knicks have been this season the Pacers will cool off. Let's see what the fight is of both teams in the second half.

mafra

Legend
Evan misses shot at end, when NyK could cut lead to 7?

59-50.

Starting at end of second Q vs TOR, we just witnessed 4 ugly quarters?.

Let?s see what effort we bring out of the locker room.

Have to say, Evan and Kemba and AB not becoming dependable offensive options. Back to Randle, Rose and Barrett and not much else.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Evan misses shot at end, when NyK could cut lead to 7?

59-50.

Starting at end of second Q vs TOR, we just witnessed 4 ugly quarters?.

Let?s see what effort we bring out of the locker room.

Have to say, Evan and Kemba and AB not becoming dependable offensive options. Back to Randle, Rose and Barrett and not much else.
Don't forget Obi. He's always making things happen.

mafra

Legend
7-0 run balloons lead back to 10?. Knicks cut it to 75-73, but IQ misses a shot, Rose misses a shot, IQ turnover, as NyK go 0-3 on their final 3 possessions.

80-75 after 3. Very disappointed in lack of offense from IQ, especially with Cole Anthony looking like a budding all star. We actually traded down and took
This kid and he just ain?t improving.

mafra

Legend
100-91. Knicks fell behind 11-0
And have basically trailed by 8-15 entire game. Cut lead to 3 and then to 85-83?.

It?s clear Randle not close to the MVP scorer he was last season. Evan and Kemba not dependable.

Baby steps. This is another 40-45 win season and then we?ll be swept in first round. Much work needed. We need a true star?.

mafra

Legend
Miles Turner had 7 threes. Game set and match. 5-3 and we just not good enough to be a serious top 4 team in EC.

Kiyaman

Legend
Yes! I missed my Home team game for another game, believing the 2-6 boring Pacers were a easy win for the 3-ball Knicks. I was completely wrong after watching the game today. The Pacers actually beat the Knicks in the first quarter. We chase the Pacers lead all game. D.Rose & Quickley did bring the Pacers lead down to 2 pts two min into the 4th qtr., but after the Pacers time-out their PG Brogdon took complete control of the game.
Our 4th quarter defense miss Bullock covering-up for Randle.