home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Houston RocketsNew York Knicks
Kevin Porter Jr. - Left thigh contusion (QUEST)Nerlens Noel - Right knee sprain (PROB)

Game Preview

The New York Knicks were the darlings of the Eastern Conference last season, parlaying their smothering defense and egalitarian approach to leadership into a surprising postseason berth.

One month into this season, things haven't gone quite as rosily in New York. The Knicks still own a winning record and have all the components required to qualify for the playoffs, but their overall play has been occasionally lackluster and the results haven't yet matched expectations.

When the Knicks host the Houston Rockets on Saturday at Madison Square Garden, they will do so coming off a home loss to the Orlando Magic Wednesday, their third defeat in four games. Following a 5-1 start to the season, the Knicks have yet to win back-to-back games this month.

"We're a team. This is all part of what we have to figure out," Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau said of the uneven efforts. "There have been some real good moments, there have been some disappointing moments, but we have to build a consistency to us, things that we have to be able to count on every night: our defense, our rebounding, our low turnovers. That puts you in position to win.

"The first thing you have to do is eliminate ways you beat yourself, and that's got to be a priority."

While the Knicks limited Orlando to just 40.6 percent shooting they committed 18 turnovers and posted a minus-6 rebounding margin. The Knicks are tied for 16th in defensive rebounding rate and 20th in field goal percentage, reflections of pedestrian performances on both ends of the court.

And while five Knicks are averaging double figures in scoring, they have yet to unlock the right combination of players to best undergird their offense. One month in, things haven't yet clicked.

"The good thing about the depth is you have depth," Thibodeau said. "Sometimes the tough thing is trying to figure out who's going well and that sort of thing. We're capable of doing better and we have to. Our only way out is we've got to work our way out of this."

While suffering their 13th consecutive loss on Wednesday, the Rockets got a glimpse of rookie guard Jalen Green without third-year guard Kevin Porter Jr. starting alongside him. Porter missed the Rockets' 101-89 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder with a thigh injury, leaving Green to shoulder more of a load facilitating the offense for teammates as well as for himself individually.

At 19 years old, Green will experience his share of ups and downs, but against the Thunder he was solid, recording 21 points on 6-of-14 shooting with three rebounds and a pair of assists. Of significance was the fact that Green recorded only one turnover while logging 36 minutes.

"He should be more and more comfortable with every game as far as turning the corner, as far as playing in drags, as far as being a primary ball-handler and using the lightning-quick first step that he has," Rockets coach Stephen Silas said of Green. "He should continue to do that."

Game preview courtesy of:
--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .. Lets all hope coach Thibs is not the one to give the Rockets their 2nd win of the season tonight !!!

mafra

Legend
NY 2-11 (1-6 from downtown)?. 5 points in first half of first Q. A shame too bc HoU already has 6 turnovers but the starters can?t score.

mafra

Legend
HOU is now 0-5 from downtown with 8 turnovers. They have 4 points in 7 minutes. But somehow only trail 8-4.

mafra

Legend
Knicks now 1-10 from downtown. HOU now leads 9-8 with 4 minutes left.

3-16 shooting.

When will Thibbs pull the starters?

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Barrett getting shut down twice in a row in the paint; both him and Randle seem just awful so far, could they already be tired 16 games into the season?

mafra

Legend
18-11 HOU. Knicks have 5 points off 8 HOU turnovers. Knicks not getting any calls and are shooting 4-21

Arguably the worst Q of hoops Inhave ever watched

mafra

Legend
13 points
5-22 shooting
3-10 downtown
5 assists
1 offensive rebound
3 turnovers

Did I mention this is against the moribund defenseless Rockets, without Kevin Porter?

Friends. The worst Q in NyK history. They trail 21-13 and they should be up 42-21. Now HOU feels they can win and they probably will.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
21-13 if this is what they played in the first i don't even want to know what they'll do in the third.

Kiyaman

Legend
Wow! The Knicks scored only 13 pts in the first quarter, and the Rockets committed 8 turn overs in the first quarter. Randle turned back into the BUST he was on the Lakers !!!

mafra

Legend
If I were Thibbs? I would bench starters rest of half. Amazingly, refs actually award a FT to Knicks? of course, after the ignored a blatant travel in HOU.

mafra

Legend
Wow! The Knicks scored only 13 pts in the first quarter, and the Rockets committed 8 turn overs in the first quarter. Randle turned back into the BUST he was on the Lakers !!!

Amen. Rose and Perry better be ready to deal come mid DEC. Randle first guy I?m looking to move, along with Evan and Kemba and AB.

Kiyaman

Legend
Noel gets 3 quick fouls, then get a tech on the bench. Noel plays best with Randle, and MitchRob & Taj plays best with the 2nd unit

mafra

Legend
36-32 with a little over 3 minutes left in the half. Knicks 4-15 from downtown with 1 offensive rebound. HOU lost 13 straight and are winless on the road (0-9).

mafra

Legend
Knicks have 1 offensive rebound. What exactly does Robinson do? Please trade him. Don?t pay him!!!

mafra

Legend
Evan hits 3 threes. 47-42 lead. But refs ignoring HOU fouls? both RJ and Randle hammered with no calls.

So it?s 47-47 at the break. As bad as NY has been, these refs shouldn?t be allowed back out on the court. Both teams upset. It?s a disgrace these is the product NBA throws out?. But inexcusable this officiating crew today.

HOU actually jumped in air and hip drilled RJ shoulder? no call.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Score tied 47 at halftime. Fournier is the only guy with more than 2 fg made. Overall Knicks shot 14-40 and got smacked in the paint

mafra

Legend
These officials are awful today. Methinks fix is in. Some ref getting paid to ensure HOU covers