home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksAtlanta Hawks
Nerlens Noel - Right knee injury (QUEST)Bojan Bogdanovic - Sore left hamstring (QUEST)
Kemba Walker - Rest (OUT)Cam Reddish - Wrist injury (QUEST)
Derrick Rose - Ankle injury (OUT)De'Andre Hunter - Right wrist tendon surgery (OUT)
Taj Gibson - Sore groin (QUEST)Onyeka Okongwu - Right shoulder repair rehab (OUT)

Game Preview

The Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks have both learned how difficult the burden of expectations can be for teams fresh off a surprise playoff appearance.

However, the Hawks appear to be closer to finding their 2020-21 form than the Knicks heading into Saturday night, when Atlanta is scheduled to host New York in a rematch of a 2021 Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.

Both teams will be completing a post-Thanksgiving back-to-back set after playing Friday night. The visiting Hawks earned their seventh straight win by rolling past the Memphis Grizzlies 132-100, and the host Knicks remained inconsistent with a 118-97 loss to the Phoenix Suns.

The Hawks have produced a dramatic turnaround this month. They are looking ready to establish themselves as a consistent Eastern Conference contender after beating the Knicks in five games last spring and then upsetting the Philadelphia 76ers in six games to reach the NBA semifinals for just the second time in 51 years.

However, the Hawks lost nine of their first 13 games this season before beating the defending NBA champion Milwaukee Bucks 120-100 on Nov. 14. Atlanta's six subsequent wins have all come by at least 10 points, a span in which star point guard Trae Young has averaged 27.7 points per game while racking up four double-doubles -- including Friday, when he led all players with 31 points and 10 assists.

"I think the chemistry that you're starting to see -- they're playing better, they seem more connected out there on both ends of the floor," Hawks coach Nate McMillan said Friday night. "You don't win seven games in a row without playing good basketball and being connected. So I like what our guys have done.

"I like their focus the last couple weeks. They've just been locked in to what we need to do out on the floor."

The Knicks, who reached the playoffs last spring for the first time since 2013, raced out to a 5-1 start this season, raising the already-high hopes in the basketball-mad Big Apple. But New York is just 5-8 since then, a herky-jerky span in which it hasn't posted back-to-back wins.

The Knicks have often lacked consistency from quarter to quarter. Already this month, New York has overcome a 21-point deficit to beat the Bucks 113-98 on Nov. 5, trailed by 24 points before tying the Bucks in a 112-100 loss on Nov. 10 and squandered all of a 25-point lead against the Los Angeles Lakers before escaping with a 106-100 win on Tuesday.

Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau again lamented the lack of cohesion Friday night, when he pulled all his starters except Julius Randle before the midway point of the fourth quarter.

"Maximum effort and maximum concentration -- you have to put the two of those things together, and that's what gives you intensity," Thibodeau said. "There's no magic formula for this, no shortcuts. That's what intensity is. The guys that could do it day after day, those are the most intense guys."

Game preview courtesy of:
--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

With Rose and Kemba both out, Alec Burks starts at PG. I like Burks but not a huge fan of him starting at PG.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Missed the first 7 minutes of the first but i like the energy Sims brings. Randle gotta start making his shots

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Knicks up 37-30. This team is so much more fun to watch when Quick & Obi are playing

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Trae Young with 8 straight point and the lead at halftime is 51-50 after being in double digits 2 minutes earlier

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .. 2 min remain before halftime and Knicks have a 9 point lead, Thibs take Obi out the game put in Randle and ......
Half-Time .. Knicks 51 - Hawks 50

Kiyaman

Legend
It look like Quickley was a little disappointed when Thibs took Obi out the game having only 2 min to go for half time. Well the Hawks PG Trae started the 2nd half off out scoring the Knicks 7-0 for a 57-51 Hawks lead .. Knicks time-out !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
See .... after the Capela alley-oop, Barrett had the same play to give MitchRob the alley-oop but selfishness made him shoot and miss

Kiyaman

Legend
MitchRob only have 1 fg attempt, and Capela had 11 FG attempts for 10 points ...
Mitch do not want to play for Thibs !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
5 min remain in game Knicks has a 9 pt lead, Thibs take Obi out to put Randle in .. Randle with the two man game, will it work for a win ???

Our 4th quarter offense was a disaster but our defense was elite. Hold Atlanta to 90 points. Big road win against a very good home team.

Burks not at all the style of player you want as your starting PG, but he had a big offensive game and got the job done.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Trae Young Hawks only scored 90 pts tonight, who on the Knicks could we credit for that effort ???
MitchRob's 11 rbds and 1 block and all his effort in defending the paint.

Quickley receive 30 min of playing time tonight, to replace our DNP PG Kemba & D.Rose ....
Great Knicks win from Quickley, Burks, Fournier, Toppin, and MitchRob !!!