home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Denver NuggetsNew York Knicks
Bol Bol - Health and safety protocols (OUT)Jericho Sims - Illness (QUEST)
Austin Rivers - Health and safety protocols (OUT)Nerlens Noel - Sore right knee (QUEST)
PJ Dozier - Torn left ACL (OUT)Kemba Walker - Out of rotation (OUT)
Michael Porter Jr - Back surgery (OUT)-
Jamal Murray - Torn left ACL (OUT)-

Game Preview

The New York Knicks are a little frustrated after back-to-back losses that could have easily swung their way.

First, New York lost to Brooklyn by two points on Tuesday. Then, Chicago came to Madison Square Garden on Thursday night and stole one with some late free throws.

On the heels of those losses, the Knicks host the depleted Denver Nuggets on Saturday in a matinee game.

Denver has lost seven of eight games, four of those without MVP Nikola Jokic. Now the Nuggets are dealing with more adversity with Bones Hyland and Austin Rivers in the COVID-19 protocols.

Hyland and Rivers went into protocols before Wednesday's 108-103 loss at Orlando, leaving an already thin backcourt more short-handed. With the loss of P.J. Dozier to a torn ACL last week and Jamal Murray's continued rehab on his torn ACL suffered in April, the guard rotation is down to Monte Morris, Will Barton, Facu Campazzo and Markus Howard.

Howard has played sparingly but will be thrust into a bigger role for the foreseeable future. Denver may have to bring in another player from the G League to fill out the roster while Rivers and Hyland are away from the team.

"While you're out so many smalls and wings, it's definitely a conversation that we need to have," coach Michael Malone said.

The Nuggets missed a chance to start their seven-game road trip with two wins. They led the Magic by double digits early before letting up in the second half and ultimately losing.

"Sometimes human nature kicks in when you think everything was rolling your way, think a team's just going to lay down," Morris said.

New York nearly pulled off a late rally against the Bulls on Thursday night. The Knicks trailed by 21 in the first half but came back to tie it. Julius Randle missed two crucial free throws and had a late turnover.

Randle had 30 points, 12 rebounds and seven turnovers in the loss.

"He did a lot of great things to put us in that position," coach Tom Thibodeau said after the loss. "We all have a lot of confidence in him. Sometimes, it doesn't work out. Go on, move onto the next play, get ready to get it done the next time. That's all."

Even though Denver is missing key pieces -- including Michael Porter Jr., who underwent back surgery on Wednesday -- it is still a dangerous team with Jokic on the floor. He won the MVP last year with his all-around play but he is playing at an even higher level this year

Jokic, who has missed five total games, is averaging 25.7 points and 13.8 rebounds despite being the focus of every defense. He will be a challenge for Randle and the rest of the Knicks.

New York is also dealing with some rotation changes. Kemba Walker, who started 18 games, was pulled from the rotation and replaced in the starting lineup by Alec Burks. Walker has struggled defensively and his liabilities on that end of the floor prompted the change by Thibodeau.

Game preview courtesy of:
--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Thanks for the game thread, rady.

Why'd it have to be at 1 today? I really want to see the Nuggets play, but it's nice out now. There's no replays on MSG either for the rest of the day either and I didn't DVR it.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Nuggets' threes keep on falling while we keep on bricking them. DEN up 38-26

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Way too many open looks for Nuggets, they are 8-16 from behind the arc and no one's contesting them

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Jokic hits a three to make it a 21 point game and the garden is losing its patience. Another horrible third

mafra

Legend
Second unit a disgrace today. Getting blown out. Can?t score or defend. At least starters kept it close until Jokic did his MVP thing?. But the 5 guys DEN using as second unit wow. Our bench should be ashamed.

mafra

Legend
8 straight wins for DEN over NYK. Knicks haven?t won in DEN since 2004 or something.

DEN made 20 threes, for only 7th time in franchise history. Some bum off bench had a career high, and basically out scores our entire bench. IQ must have partied hard last night, for he was nowhere near ready to play.

I want to see more Grimes bc team isn?t going anywhere. We should trade AB and Evan ASAP, for they may bring n an asset.

Knicks won?t be above .500 again. Last year was bc of no crowds (this year we are 5-8 at MSG) and bc 2/3 of test of NBA in bubble and had little off season. Knicks had 10 months rest.

1/3 of season in? 11-12 and it?s looking more and more like 2019?.

Randle, RJ, Rose? everybody on table?

I would prefer to build around RJ, IQ, Obi and Grimes? keep Rose for leadership?.

But? call up POR and see what they want for Dame.

If you look at EC, NyK lucky to finish 7-11? and that?s not a place to fight for. So, Rose and Perry better not listen to Thibbs. Don?t improve this roster? be a seller? we aren?t going anywhere?.

Unless you can get Dame or Beal or a real star, we better not be making literal moves or improving this team.

Be sellers and hope for a lottery miracle then actually improve roster in off-season for once?

mafra

Legend
Sorry of game was the bench units?. DEN was undermanned and only ready had top 5 guys from their normal rotation?. They have MVP in Jokic? Game was going to be decided by the bench?.

Unfortunately, some guy named Njajiwhatever was the player who stepped up and saw his opportunity?. He basically shredded us?

Our second unit destroyed 43-32 at HoME! They had no energy?. When called upon to start 4th to get tram back in it? they allow 4 straight threes and lead almost 30

We really miss Taj. We were destroyed on the glass.

Robinson had 6 rebounds? 4 on offensive glass. DEN killed us with 2nd and 3rd chances? where?s Mitch? 6 rebounds in 20 minutes? GTFOOH with that BS

Mitch ain?t Bill Russe defensively? and since his rebounding and scoring is so bad, it?s time to really think about trading him? he?s not a good fit with this roster. Send him somewhere as part of a package for a star. I?m cool with Noel and Taj moving forward.

Julius a man in press conference today. Owning up. His teammates better start playing defense, bc they don?t contribute enough offensively to justify playing minutes.

11-12? after 5-1? means 6-11 since then? get ready for a 1-2 run next 3 games?

Some good players in lottery? I turn my attention there? this team is toast. Last year might fool them a run is coming? it isn?t? this year ain?t last year.

mafra

Legend
The Nuggets arrived at the Garden as losers of seven of their last eight, as a sub-.500 team that was trying and failing to weather the long-term absences of Jamal Murray and Michael Porter Jr. Denver still had the reigning league MVP, Nikola Jokic, but this was an opponent tailor-made for a market correction at the Garden, where the Knicks had somehow lost seven of 12 games.

Instead, the Nuggets turned a spotlight on the Knicks? biggest problem: their lack of consistent competitive heart.

They are not nearly as hungry as they were last year, when they brought the city game back from the dead. It?s not often a team suffers a next-season hangover after a first-round playoff exit, but the Knicks were so rightfully celebrated for bringing a competent and determined brand of ball back to the Garden after a biblical drought, it?s understandable why they might enter Year 2 of Tom Thibodeau?s restoration program feeling too good about themselves

Ian Oconner NYP

Thibbs had a long talk with his team after this loss?. He said more changes are coming. Called out their effort and intensity?. Second unit gave little effort on defense.

Kiyaman

Legend
Jokic hits a three to make it a 21 point game and the garden is losing its patience. Another horrible third

Whew-wee Rady .. I missed the game, but check the game stats, and the injury-prone Denver Nuggets had a 21 point lead at the end of 3rd quarter, plus a 20 yr old PF-Nnaji comes off the bench to score 21 pts, and grab 8 rbds .. When the Knicks highest bench scorer was D.Rose 11 pts, 4 rbd, and 4 ast..
Today Game .... Says a lot about the Knicks team (player & coaches), and how they come together after two close losses (Nets/Bulls).
My guess is as good as anyone .. on what been going on in the Knicks locker-room the past two weeks???
I recall a incident on the court .... Quickley taking the 3 ball shot, after a Thibs timeout, we were down by 4 pts having 20 seconds left in the game. When we all know Thibs favors Randle's shot after a time-out, even over Fournier perimeter shooting. Well, that didn't happen. Quickley caught the inbound pass, he didn't see a open Fournier so Quickley did a Randle's dribble-dribble to the 3 ball line to hoist up a miss 3 that Derozan easy rebound having all the Knicks still behind the 3 ball line running to foul Derozan leaving 11 seconds in the game.
Certain Players may want to be traded ???

Kiyaman

Legend
The thought of the Knicks losing 7 of 12 games in a sold-out MSG, and going 1-4 in crowded stadiums in the playoff over the team they went 4-0 in the regular season in empty stadiums.
The 41-31 Knicks last season performing in empty-stadiums were a FLUKE!
Coach of the year were a Fluke!
Randle All-star status were Fluke!
Certain Knicks players & head-coach can't handle the 20K fans loud action in the stands on every play on court. Shame !!!
The Knicks were 25-11 at home last season during the Covid-19 NBA !!!

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
I have two questions,
the first one, what is wrong with our 3rd quarters, why we ALWAYS get destroyed in the 3rd, and how come we couldn't figure out a solution!!
the second one, is it Mitch and Noel IQ that is preventing them from defending the 3 or it is the lack of defense from others which is pushing them to collapse on defense which is leaving the opposing center free to shoot threes?

Hey Dragon,
First Question is very easy to answer. That is called 'Halftime adjustments'. Very few coaches today are good at overall team adjustment after the first half. So it a coaching problem!! and if you haven't notice we have a bad coach.

The second question again is off season and preseason preparation. Working on areas that are your weakness and team weakness. Do you remember when we had Kornet(center). He could shoot the 3 pretty good and more importantly he defended the arc. Kornet was a more well rounded player than MRob or Noel. The Knicks F.O. didn't like him because he was a player drafted by Jackson and Gaines.

Kiyaman

Legend
Hey Dragon,
First Question is very easy to answer. That is called 'Halftime adjustments'. Very few coaches today are good at overall team adjustment after the first half. So it a coaching problem!! and if you haven't notice we have a bad coach.

The second question again is off season and preseason preparation. Working on areas that are your weakness and team weakness. Do you remember when we had Kornet(center). He could shoot the 3 pretty good and more importantly he defended the arc. Kornet was a more well rounded player than MRob or Noel. The Knicks F.O. didn't like him because he was a player drafted by Jackson and Gaines.

Dark & Dragon .. You both are on the same-page .. Coach Thibs never analyze the first half of a game to find all his opponents weakness, to come up with a 2nd half plan.
The main reason why Thibs is not the head coach you want in the post-season games.

And Kornet was not a center u want as a closer, he was best as a PF on the perimeter on offense/defense as a closer.
As for Noel, I seen the many weaknesses Noel had in his performance that made the Philly76ers get rid rid of him, instead of keep him to backiup Embiid.
The Knicks did not give MitchRob an extension, yet the team have big expectation of MitchRob defending inside/outside for the Knicks 4 starters who are clueless on the defensive-end. Plus the coach and the 6 starters want MitchRob to pick/screen for them on every offensive possession, and none of the starters ever think a bout feeding the ball downlow to MitchRob. Mitch average 5 shot attempts a game from broken plays and put backs.
We Knicks fans never would've known Obi Toppin above the rim scoring if it wasn't for Quicklry hitting him with alley-oops. The rest of the Knicks poor passing only passed the ball to Toppin when he was on the 3 ball line for the 6.9 Toppin to shoot 3's.
Has Thibs realize Obi Toppin hops n speed on the court? NO!
D.Rose & Quickley are forever pushing the ball when Toppins in their lineup to outscore opponents, and when Thibs replace Toppin for Randle in the lineup, D.Rose & Quickley have to slow things down for Randle half-court offense.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Dark & Dragon .. You both are on the same-page .. Coach Thibs never analyze the first half of a game to find all his opponents weakness, to come up with a 2nd half plan.
The main reason why Thibs is not the head coach you want in the post-season games.

And Kornet was not a center u want as a closer, he was best as a PF on the perimeter on offense/defense as a closer.
As for Noel, I seen the many weaknesses Noel had in his performance that made the Philly76ers get rid rid of him, instead of keep him to backiup Embiid.
The Knicks did not give MitchRob an extension, yet the team have big expectation of MitchRob defending inside/outside for the Knicks 4 starters who are clueless on the defensive-end. Plus the coach and the 6 starters want MitchRob to pick/screen for them on every offensive possession, and none of the starters ever think a bout feeding the ball downlow to MitchRob. Mitch average 5 shot attempts a game from broken plays and put backs.
We Knicks fans never would've known Obi Toppin above the rim scoring if it wasn't for Quicklry hitting him with alley-oops. The rest of the Knicks poor passing only passed the ball to Toppin when he was on the 3 ball line for the 6.9 Toppin to shoot 3's.
Has Thibs realize Obi Toppin hops n speed on the court? NO!
D.Rose & Quickley are forever pushing the ball when Toppins in their lineup to outscore opponents, and when Thibs replace Toppin for Randle in the lineup, D.Rose & Quickley have to slow things down for Randle half-court offense.

To be honest i never like Kornet, too weak for my taste, and anyway, where is he now? Thibs is a good coach, i don't agree that he is a bad one, at least he do adjustments or try to, and let's give him that he preaches defense, and this year we have an issue with defense, so i don't think he is the problem. the defense awareness of JR and EF are creating big gaps in the key or on the arc..... which is my original question, is it Mitch and Noel defense problems or it is caused by the lack of defense awareness from others......
Topin is good, but he is not compared to JR, my only issue with JR is that he doesn't play with the same intensity the full game, or you need to provoke him to play defense ....

To be honest i never like Kornet, too weak for my taste, and anyway, where is he now? Thibs is a good coach, i don't agree that he is a bad one, at least he do adjustments or try to, and let's give him that he preaches defense, and this year we have an issue with defense, so i don't think he is the problem. the defense awareness of JR and EF are creating big gaps in the key or on the arc..... which is my original question, is it Mitch and Noel defense problems or it is caused by the lack of defense awareness from others......
Topin is good, but he is not compared to JR, my only issue with JR is that he doesn't play with the same intensity the full game, or you need to provoke him to play defense ....

Hey Kiya and Dragon, Kornet was no mean the answer as closer to Knicks problem at center or PF. He was simply more well rounded than MRob. Not a star but someone who could be a very decent player at either position. He could defend the rim because if I'm not mistaken did he lead the SEC in block shots? I could be wrong and I didn't check as I write this. So again could be wrong. He could shoot the 3's and defend the arc. He didn't to work on his rebounding but putting some weight on him might have help. So when you say I didn't like him a 'Big Man Coach' might corrected his being to weak.

If you disagree with Thib's being a bad coach. Explain all of the question you have that relate directly to coaching.

"my original question, is it Mitch and Noel defense problems or it is caused by the lack of defense awareness from others....." It's Both!!
Look at what you are asking, the defense is design by the coach. You have to take into consideration that MRob and Noel are basely the same type of player on defense. To make up for there lack of quickest to defend smaller players then you have to design your switches accordingly.
Next who or What players are out on the floor with each. Who can cover the other team center(like with Bulls) that can shoot 3's. If you remember I saw nobody contesting his shot.

You asked the question "Where is He(Kornet)". Well that a problem the Knicks feel as though they have as a luxury. Players that are drafted by someone else and would make a decent bench player with good base skills. They let them go or don't play them. Maybe you haven't notice but that isn't just a Knick problem but the entire NBA. It about who I draft and I'm going to give them a roster spot. This is done to make the F.O. personal look like they know what they are doing. If you read Perry bio you will see all kinds of things that say's he know what he doing. Look closer he is not drafting the player but is just in the organization that drafted him. With the proper coaching for the we draft be it 'whoever draft them' we don't have the luxury of letting good base fundamental player go.
Kornet should have been placed in KP -- PF position when he got hurt. This would have help his growth and kept all of the other players running the offense building chemistry. That didn't happen and today they are talking about building chemistry. This organization is to late for that.

Kiyaman

Legend
Head-coach Thibs career coaching in the postseason games has always been questionable of a series win .... Because
Head-coach Thibs offensive-plan has always been weak & questionable vs top teams..
Head-coach Thibs career of running a small rotation of 6 maybe 7 players throughout the regular season has been in big-question in Chi-Town and Minnesota.

Oh yeah, last season the Knicks had a hustling Bullocks always running out to defend the 3 ball line .. Bullocks 2-Way hustle performance for 30 min has been irreplaceable.

And No! Kornet performance are not better than MitchRob performance.
The two big men would make the Knicks a nice inside/outside front-court lineup.
I know for sure, both players do not like playing on a one year contract.