Game thread: New York Knicks vs New Orleans Pelicans 1/20/2022 7:30pm [Game #45]

Kiyaman

Legend
Got outscored by 20 in the 3rd quarter.

Can?t blame this on any one guy. Maybe we just stink. Frustrating. Back to the drawing board.

Yes, u can .. All blame goes to one guy coach Thibs !!!
If coach Thibs would have kept playing the 2nd unit lineup in the past 25 games their chemistry & effort with each other would've won tonight game. Not putting our 2nd unit bench lineup on the court in over 20 straight games, because Knicks fans and announcers preferred the excitement of D.Rose 2nd unit bench lineup over the Knicks starters (Randle & Barrett) the first 20 games of the season. SMH

Well, three LOSSES in a row and Feb are a couple weeks away ....
Would u do a Fox for Randle trade?
The Kings need a big body, and the Knicks need a young experience PG for D.Rose to mentor into a leader.

mafra

Legend
Kings just said they aren?t trading Fox

They want to build around Fox and TH, the dude we should?ve drafted instead of Obi

But, yes, I would do JR for Fox?

Broadway

All Star
There?s a lot going wrong. No one change at any level is going to totally reverse our fortunes. This team needs to establish some identity. It just seems random what we do from game to game. That?s on the coaches, the players, and the front office.

It?s easy to overreact. This game wouldn?t be so bad if we hadn?t lost to Minnesota. Now the pressure really mounts. Last season we went on a huge winning streak in the 2nd half. Can this team save itself or not?

Man, I miss Derrick Rose.

Derrick Rose career just prior to us reacquiring him told us he would be down and out at some point and for a while

Our record when he went down was 13-16, we are currently 22-24(net + 1gm from his absence) at one point we were a gm net + overall record wise a couple weeks ago?which would be a 4gm improvement from his absence

I don?t miss him one iota, although I agree he may have provided a spark in a couple gms but at who?s expense?

If you say identity is an issue after 100+ gms with the same coaching staff we might want to start there. Thibs is supposed to be this defensive stalwart of a mind

We?ve lost so many games at home and I said the other day?our schedule back half is brutal?T-Pups and Pels should?ve been the gimmies

I don?t get the excitement about our 2nd unit so long as Noel and DRose are hurt.

We need Noel and DRose to get healthy and then we have some options.

Some of you guys must have been real fun to play sports with over the years where every loss is because of the coach or 1 player. Our team just isn?t playing well.

This is just like last season. We were 25 - 27 and everyone wanted Thibs fired and every player traded. Then we won 9 straight and 12 out of 13 and suddenly everyone was back on board.

Get Noel, DRose, and Reddish healthy and let?s get back on track.

Kiyaman

Legend
Derrick Rose career just prior to us reacquiring him told us he would be down and out at some point and for a while

Our record when he went down was 13-16, we are currently 22-24(net + 1gm from his absence) at one point we were a gm net + overall record wise a couple weeks ago?which would be a 4gm improvement from his absence

I don?t miss him one iota, although I agree he may have provided a spark in a couple gms but at who?s expense?

If you say identity is an issue after 100+ gms with the same coaching staff we might want to start there. Thibs is supposed to be this defensive stalwart of a mind

We?ve lost so many games at home and I said the other day?our schedule back half is brutal?T-Pups and Pels should?ve been the gimmies

How come I was the only one who knew D.Rose was not going to be in the Knicks starter lineup in the 2021-22 season? Could it be the Knicks postseason games Thibs made D.Rose a starter (0-3), or was it throughout last season D.Rose never made a fuss to be in the starter lineup.
Or was it D.Rose luv coming to work to be apart of the Knicks trio-backcourt (D.Rose Quickley Burks) lineup coming off the bench last season to outscore the majority of their opponents.
D.Rose was not a happy Knicks the day coach Thibs broke-up the Knicks best trio-backcourt lineup, by making Burks replace Kemba in the starter lineup, because D.Rose refuse to be in the starter lineup.
When coach Thibs announce starter Kemba Walker was not going to be in the Knicks rotation after 20 games in the season, D.Rose did not play in the next Knicks game.
Coach Thibs probably wouldn't have went on a 2-8 run in the next 10 games.
Thibs .. upsetting not one, but both veteran PG (Kemba & D.Rose) on the team.
And the Knicks last 3 games performance look like coach Thibs upset some more Knicks players on the team.
Tonight, I was happy to see the Knicks 2nd unit lineup back on the court having rookie Grimes replace D.Rose.

mafra

Legend
What we have seen from the Thibbs era so far, through fist 1.5 seasons, is that the team responds to adversity?.

Whenever it appears the team is on the verge of collapsing, they seem to be able to have a little surge and bounce back.

This team is flawed and has many issues. This is obvious. This roster is in the mix of a bunch of others vying for the 9-10 seed.

We are accustomed to Phil-Jeff-Fiz, and we experienced a run of 17 win type seasons. We don?t have to worry about that now.

Building something comes with these sort of spasms as the team rebuilds. Perhaps the foundation is already set or perhaps nobody on this roster will be around when this thing is truly turned around.

What did people expect this season? I think a 40-win team was par, no?

Losing Rose destroyed the advantage we had with our second unit. We?ve gotten little from the bench lately?

Randle more like first season Julius than last year?s version; RJ still growing; Mitch still growing. AB, EF, KW haven?t taken the pressure off Randle and RJ?

Maybe it clicks and another run comes, maybe deals are made, made they end up in lottery? sit back and see what happens.

As of AUG, Rose is open for criticism. Let?s see the roster he assembles for next season. I think by then we will know if Rose is really competent and has a vision or if he?s in over his head.

Kiyaman

Legend
This is just like last season. We were 25 - 27 and everyone wanted Thibs fired and every player traded. Then we won 9 straight and 12 out of 13 and suddenly everyone was back on board.

The performance we seen tonight .. FROM the Knicks Starter-lineup in the first quarter (27-17) and the Third quarter (35-15) made me change the channel to the Suns vs Mavs Game.
And our last two Losses .. Especially loosing to the Charlotte Hornets by 10 pts without their star player LaMelo Ball.
Who job is it to fix the starter lineup ???

And last season ....
The Knicks had a 11-15 record the day D.Rose became a Knicks (again).
A couple of weeks before D.Rose arrived, The Knicks were 3-7 in last 10 games, coming off of a 5 game loosing streak. The Knicks would not have had 25 wins last season going 3-7 every 10 games ..
Not giving D.Rose his PROPS for the Knicks success last season are a sin.
D.Rose brang Player-Leadership to a young potential team that didn't have any ..
Assistant coach Woodson gave the young coaching-staff experience ..
There were better veteran-centers available in FA to replace Bobby Portis than Noel.
So far Noel & Randle same-page meshing in a lineup has been getting as good as F/C Taj Gibson & D.Rose consistent same-page chemistry.

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
The KNICKS are not a good team.
Randle played last year a got his contact. He gave it everything he got but the playoffs showed that he can only be so good.

I agree with Dark that once Cam is in the line-up we will see a drastic change in the Knicks strength :)

tiger0330

Legend

I agree, things could be worse you could be a Lakers fan. They play the 8-38 Magic tonight. Magic beat them and Vogel is gone tomorrow with Fizdale installed as the interim. One thing about losing is Thibs will be forced to play Cam, looking forward to seeing what he can do

The KNICKS are not a good team.
Randle played last year a got his contact. He gave it everything he got but the playoffs showed that he can only be so good.
I agree with Dark that once Cam is in the line-up we will see a drastic change in the Knicks strength :)

Sorry Ski, it wasn't me that said "once Cam is in the line-up". I like Cam at Hawk's but I'm not sure about this team. Cam want move the Needle of this team and neither is he Transformative. I'm not a big fan of Duke players. Cam would be the only one who I would want.

BTW, did you see the article that talks about acquiring the Big 3? What are you thoughts?

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
Sorry Ski, it wasn't me that said "once Cam is in the line-up". I like Cam at Hawk's but I'm not sure about this team. Cam want move the Needle of this team and neither is he Transformative. I'm not a big fan of Duke players. Cam would be the only one who I would want.

BTW, did you see the article that talks about acquiring the Big 3? What are you thoughts?

Dark I was totally joking......we need some humor.....

if the big 3 means Zion.............who F'in knows.......at 300 plus pounds it does seem like he's too motivated......If a trade was right to get rid of Randle i would do it....what do we have to lose......I mean where are we going anyway

Dark I was totally joking......we need some humor.....

if the big 3 means Zion.............who F'in knows.......at 300 plus pounds it does seem like he's too motivated......If a trade was right to get rid of Randle i would do it....what do we have to lose......I mean where are we going anyway

LOL, sorry Ski thought you were being serious. You are correct it is very little laugher and joking in this forum. We all seen to take everything very seriously. Again, my apology.

Well, I saw Zion weight going over 300 before the draft. That to me should have been expected. I started thinking of Curry and when the Knicks let him go back to Chicago after his 19pt and 6 rb season. Never understood that.
*Would run Zion at SF instead of PF?
*Then that means you trading someone else? (Please, I don't mean RJ because you couldn't have the big 3).
*So you have Randle, Zion, RJ and Cam?? Ok, I see a problem or I should have seen a problem. Play small ball?

Let me say this up front. I think this would be a disaster of great proportion.

mafra

Legend
NYP

In the past week, a stretch that has included three straight Knicks losses, Alec Burks and Immanuel Quickley have gone missing. Since a Jan. 12 win over the Mavericks, the fill-in point guards have combined to shoot 22-for-77 (30.6 percent) from the field, have been even shakier from 3-point range and have represented a major reason for the team?s skid.

Burks, in particular, has been dreadful, shooting 31 percent from the field this month. December, when he drilled 38 percent of his attempts, had been his worst month of the season. In the Knicks? loss Thursday against the Pelicans, the veteran Burks ? who might become trade bait if they keep sinking ? went 3-for-9, which was three more shots than he had hit against the Timberwolves on Tuesday. Quickley, who continues to test his range despite drilling just 34.3 percent of his deep shots, went 4-for-13.

Kiyaman

Legend

Stop that! Zion, RJ, and Cam didn't have the team-skills to take Duke to the Final-4, or final -8. And the Ja Morrant draft-class had to be one of the poorest NBA draft-class in the millennium.
HINT: Cam & RJ performance in their 3rd NBA season are the same, both cant play the SG or SF position well. Although Cam passing skills to Zion, and Trae & Collins has to be much better than RJ Barrett's never-passing.
I'm just waiting to see Cam's quickness, and movements on offense/defense that kept upsetting Trae Young.
The Knicks put up with RJ sloppiness and inconsistency because RJ were a 3rd pick in the draft.

Kiyaman

Legend
NYP

In the past week, a stretch that has included three straight Knicks losses, Alec Burks and Immanuel Quickley have gone missing. Since a Jan. 12 win over the Mavericks, the fill-in point guards have combined to shoot 22-for-77 (30.6 percent) from the field, have been even shakier from 3-point range and have represented a major reason for the team?s skid.

Burks, in particular, has been dreadful, shooting 31 percent from the field this month. December, when he drilled 38 percent of his attempts, had been his worst month of the season. In the Knicks? loss Thursday against the Pelicans, the veteran Burks ? who might become trade bait if they keep sinking ? went 3-for-9, which was three more shots than he had hit against the Timberwolves on Tuesday. Quickley, who continues to test his range despite drilling just 34.3 percent of his deep shots, went 4-for-13.

Wsup Mafra .. Coach Thibs has not put much effort into getting the 5 starters (Kemba, Fournier, RJ, Randle, and MitchRob) on the same-page on offense or defense throughout the 46 games.
There's no chemistry in the Knicks Starter lineup with or without Kemba.
The solution solving is on coach Thibs & staff, plus the extension$$$ facilitator Randle.
Doesn't the Knicks situation remind you of when Melo was a Knicks, and the loser starter lineup kept blaming the PG.

Burks and Quickley were improving their Jellin together in D.Rose 2nd unit bench lineup the first 20 games of the season. After that, Burks & Quickley were put in separate lineups, Burks was put in the starter lineup, and Quickley coming off the bench to replace Burks. Plus Protocols/injuries/and Thibs kept changing the starter lineup, and rotation in the past 25 games, to where Knicks players don't know what lineup they are gonna be in game after game !!!
The 22 yr old Ja Morrant in his rookie to 3rd season has been turning the Memphis Grizz organization into a winning team fans want to watch.

mafra

Legend
Thibbs needs to answer this:

Rose is hurt and somehow IQ?s minutes are reduced? Huh? That?s the inverse of expectation

Kiyaman

Legend
Thibbs needs to answer this:
Rose is hurt and somehow IQ?s minutes are reduced? Huh? That?s the inverse of expectation

Truth be said, the Knicks roster are a .500 team in the East!
Having vet-experience from D.Rose, Burks, Kemba, Fournier, and Randle.
Thibs poor decision-making are the reason the Knicks has been losing to all the teams they're supposed win.
I actually believe the Knicks 41-31 season success (COY) goes to assistant coach Woodson.

Quickley's ball-handle been giving the Knicks one turn-over every 20 minute, so the best player on the roster to replace Kemba as the starter PG were Quickley.
For some reason, I been noticing how coach Thibs has been stunting the growth of all the Knicks young-core players by finding ways to take away their confidence.
Fans all know do to Protocols .. The Knicks 2nd season player Quickley should've been averaging 30 min per game in the Knicks past 25 games to improve his skills at the point.

My Boy .. MitchRob had a Double-Double (17 pts 15 reb) vs the Pelicans !!!