Game thread: New York Knicks @ Miami Heat 1/26/2022 7:30pm [Game #49]

I like what I?ve seen from one guy tonight and that?s Obi Toppin. 13 points on 6 for 7 shooting with 5 boards in 13 minutes.

Granted, he?s doing it against backups. Would love to see what Obi can do against elite defenders like Jimmy Butler or PJ Tucker.

Thibs going with MRob, Obi, Reddish, Grimes, and Quickley. Got lead down to 16 against the backups, but with Adebayo back on the court lead goes right back to 20.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Heats coach Spoe 9-Man rotation has embarrassed coach Thibs offense/defense coaching from the tip-off of the game, to holding a 20 point lead throughout the 4th quarter.
Team-Ball embarrassed ISO-Ball are what we just watch !!!

Outplayed in every facet of the game.

Grimes ends up leading the team playing 31 minutes because of how the 2nd half was basically all garbage time.

Nice stat line for Obi but so much of this game was meaningless, hard to get too excited.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thibs going with MRob, Obi, Reddish, Grimes, and Quickley. Got lead down to 16 against the backups, but with Adebayo back on the court lead goes right back to 20.

Randle showed NO leadership in the starter lineup tonight, yet Randle wanna facilitate the offense without having a offensive plan vs a top contender team. The Knicks starters gave the Heats a 25 pt lead in 3 quarters. JVG said it best about our starters, Feb trade deadline !!!

I really missed D.Rose creativeness & leadership in the Knicks offense ..
There were no room in our rotation tonight for Randle type of performance.
Plus Taj Gibson & Obi should've been our PF vs Bam & Tucker tonight.
We really needed both our centers (MitchRob & Noel) against the Heats dominance tonight.

mafra

Legend
ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy said the Knicks? starting unit is flawed on many levels and that changes need to be made.

?They just need major changes,? Van Gundy said during the Knicks? 110-96 loss in Miami on Wednesday. ?They don?t bring it on a nightly basis. I?m talking the starting unit.?

Van Gundy also said the Knicks? starting group of Julius Randle, RJ Barrett, Kemba Walker and Mitchell Robinson has had enough time to jell, but simply aren?t building any chemistry.

?There?s been plenty of times throughout the year to show that they work well together,? Van Gundy said. ?I just don?t know how they continue on like this. That?s the definition of insanity, is seeing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.?

Van Gundy also said the Knicks? second unit, while struggling at times offensively, shares the ball and is ?enjoyable? to watch because of its competitiveness.

The former Knicks coach did have good things to say about one Knick ? rookie Quentin Grimes, who also has a fan in coach Tom Thibodeau.

?He knows what he is,? Van Gundy said of Grimes, whom he called his ?favorite Knick.?

?He?s a tremendous 3-point shooter and he can really, really guard. And he?s got toughness.?

tiger0330

Legend
I agree with JVG about Grimes, he's going to start sooner than later. In a limited look at Cam, I wasn't impressed with his motor so I Googled Cam Reddish motor and found there were questions in college about his motor which he explained away by saying he's not a rah rah type of guy, anybody that thinks ATL would give up on a future AS on his rookie contract is crazy. Thibs will be looking to make changes in the lineup esp with the tough schedule, I wouldn't be surprised that Cam doesn't break into the rotation.

Kiyaman

Legend
Tonight Game explains why Butler had demanded to be traded ASAP from coach Thibs Timberwolves.
Thibs so-call coaching actually divided the Timberwolves starter players .. Butler Wiggins KAT
Same as Thibs coaching been doing this season with the Knicks starter lineup.

Which article would be best to describe tonight's game ???

1) Knicks Out-Classed Against Heat on the Road"
2) Knicks struggle to keep up with Heat in blowout loss in Miami"
3) Knicks? starters flop against Miami in embarrassing loss"
4) ESPN?s Jeff Van Gundy: Knicks need to tear up starting unit"

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
On a positive note.............If the NETS do not win a title this year then going their route did not work either. A RING or bust.

All the things JVG said tonight has been said in this forum many times!!
All but one Kiya agree the of strongly disagree with any of it.
Now on national tv and former coach saying there is something horribly wrong with this team.
I was asked to predict how many wins this season for the Knicks. My reply was I don?t how how good the other team that tank for last year draft would be. JVG said look at how improve the other teams in the league are this year.
The most damning thing said was about trying to make the team better before the trade deadline. The question was asked how do they? The answer was they have nothing to offer other teams to get an impact player. Nothing to offer!!
To all of you RJ supporters this a damning assessment of your(no mine) #3 overall pick. Damning to all the things given to him and you went along with it lock step with Perry and Co.

This is a Frankenstein team and it showed last night.

Again the only way to fix this is to gut organization and team. This to has been said and you all disagree.

In the future let us try to agree on what is good for this team. Using sound bb knowledge and wanting strong knowledgeable bb people.

mafra

Legend
JVG is a good friend of Thibbs. This was obviously a shot at Randle, with some ire towards Kemba and Evan.

Only the President of the D-Dot for All-Star game fan club and Kornet?s 5th cousin? would they interpret that at a shot at RJ.

It was Barrett and the bench kids that sparked the comeback.

It?s RJ, at 21, with monster numbers this month.

Facts always get in the way of your nonsensical dribble

Tonight Game explains why Butler had demanded to be traded ASAP from coach Thibs Timberwolves.
Thibs so-call coaching actually divided the Timberwolves starter players .. Butler Wiggins KAT
Same as Thibs coaching been doing this season with the Knicks starter lineup.

Which article would be best to describe tonight's game ???

1) Knicks Out-Classed Against Heat on the Road"
2) Knicks struggle to keep up with Heat in blowout loss in Miami"
3) Knicks? starters flop against Miami in embarrassing loss"
4) ESPN?s Jeff Van Gundy: Knicks need to tear up starting unit"

I think any of the 4 quotes are good. Especially #3... get it #3.

Got a question about the second unit. Everybody is excited about how the second unit is running. So this is the question who is coaching the second unit?? Doesn't it seem like two different coaching style?? One is ISO and the other is moving the ball. Now let me say this... I'm not impress with the second unit. The ball does move with them and that is the only thing I think they do right. If you recall the second unit that F.O. broke up for this one was very good compared to first unit. So back to my question.... Who is coaching, instructing the second unit?? Because the style do not line up.

The second unit to me is trying hard to entertain.... Not play BB. 'Q' I know is a favorite of your but he is to much of a street baller and this is the NBA, sorry. Just what I see. The other thing if Rose isn't on the second unit they are playing without a PG. Grimes is looking only to shoot and got the beat out of him on defense last night.

Kiyaman

Legend
Randle showed NO leadership in the starter lineup tonight, yet Randle wanna facilitate the offense without having a offensive plan vs a top contender team. The Knicks starters gave the Heats a 25 pt lead in 3 quarters. JVG said it best about our starters, Feb trade deadline !!!

I really missed D.Rose creativeness & leadership in the Knicks offense ..
Tonight, there were no room in the Knicks rotation for Randle type of performance.
Plus Taj Gibson & Obi should've been our PF vs Bam & Tucker tonight.
We really needed both our centers (MitchRob & Noel) against the Heats dominance tonight.

There were countless times in the first 6 min of the game where Thibs should have pulled the no effort Randle out of the game. Randle was wide open on the perimeter in the first quarter when Kemba drive inside and kicked the ball outside to a open Randle for a catch n shoot, but Randle had to dribbled the ball between his legs giving defender Tucker enough time to run out of the paint and force Randle to shoot a air-ball. Coach Thibs let the No-Effort Randle play the entire first quarter making both the starter lineup and the 2nd unit lineup look terrible on the court. Randle's poor defensive performance gave the Miami Heats a 14 pt lead to end the first quarter.
I was waiting all night for announcer JVG to single Randle out, rather than blame the Knicks no-chemistry starters.

mafra

Legend
?My point is we have to adapt to what other teams are doing,? Fournier said. ?When we had that good stretch, we were playing a certain way. Because the guys in front of us were doing something similar every time. When we play a team that does things differently, we have to adjust. So if they take away what we do well, you have to do something else and be okay with that and create opportunities and etc, etc.
?We have to adapt. That?s the main thing. Because we have the weapons, let?s be honest. We have guys who can score. It shouldn?t be a problem for us to score.?

Evan upset there isn?t much of an offensive game plan.