Game thread: New York Knicks vs Toronto Raptors 4/10/2022 7:00pm [Game #82]

mafra

Legend
As bad as this year was, still second best season last decade. That?s sad.

Yeah, Knicks probably picking 12th out of 14 teams in a 10 player draft. And when 13 or 14 jump up, we?ll be picking at the very back end of the lottery.

I think It?s wrong to have bubble teams lose and draft ahead of non bubble teams?.

NO had 6% odds to land Zion when NBA rigged the lottery? er? when lottery balls bounced in their favor.

Knicks should have a 1% or 2% chance to
Jump up? but keep rare to draft in the 12-13 range.

mafra

Legend
Rose finally speaks? Sat with Mike Breen. I didn?t listen to all?

But if he wasn?t asked about not replacing Rose and if he regrets that? then GTFOOH.

Season was lost bc GM never addressed PG. That?s why they missed playoffs. If he wasn?t asked that? then entire interview BS

mafra

Legend
Toppin on the Knicks' work ethic:

"Having a brother like Quickley, he's at the gym at 2 o'clock in the morning working out sometimes and he'll call me and be like 'yo bro, I need you to come to the gym with me'"

mafra

Legend
I do agree with this tweet tho

Andrew Bank
@AndrewBank
37-45 in a loaded East with nightmare Randle, Rose, Noel, and Kemba seasons is deeply frustrating but far from embarrassing. When you're the New York Knicks, consecutive "far from embarrassing" seasons = progress.

Kiyaman

Legend
OBI TOPPIN & IMMANUEL QUICKLEY CAREER-NIGHT
Leads to a Knicks 104-95 WIN over Raptors !!!

Immanuel Quickley has tied his career-high of 10 rebounds and has his second career triple-double:
34 points
12 assists
10 rebounds

And BIG Obi Toppin having his 5th consecutive 20 pt game .. Tonite ..
42 points (another career high)
10 rebounds
1 Block
Giving our 14 rebounding Rookie Sims help on the glass tonight !!!

Having MitchRob, Sims, Obi, and Cam hitting the glass next season will be a winner in the East.
Next season do we Knicks fans want to watch another 40 minute half-court offense Randle dribbling the ball up-court?
Or watch the 6 second or less Quickley & Toppin offense?
The Knicks FO Perry did draft two future good rotation centers for the Knicks in MitchRob & Sims.

New Orleans lost. Knicks finish with 12th worst record in NBA. Believe it or not, Knicks would have been 9th seed and made the play-in with their record in the West. Instead, we end up the 11th seed and a full 6 games out of the play-in in the East.

Balance of power between the conferences does seem different now than a few years ago where a 37 - 45 record would have gotten you an 8th seed in a weak East.

mafra

Legend
OBI TOPPIN & IMMANUEL QUICKLEY CAREER-NIGHT
Leads to a Knicks 104-95 WIN over Raptors !!!

Immanuel Quickley has tied his career-high of 10 rebounds and has his second career triple-double:
34 points
12 assists
10 rebounds

And BIG Obi Toppin having his 5th consecutive 20 pt game .. Tonite ..
42 points (another career high)
10 rebounds
1 Block
Giving our 14 rebounding Rookie Sims help on the glass tonight !!!

Having MitchRob, Sims, Obi, and Cam hitting the glass next season will be a winner in the East.
Next season do we Knicks fans want to watch another 40 minute half-court offense Randle dribbling the ball up-court?
Or watch the 6 second or less Quickley & Toppin offense?
The Knicks FO Perry did draft two future good rotation centers for the Knicks in MitchRob & Sims.

Good to see you ain?t mad at Thibbs for playing Obi and IQ 40+ minutes.

They gotta dump Randle?. At all costs.

But, if you hear Leon Rose? Randle isn?t going anywhere:

?Look, Julius is a passionate player,? Rose said Sunday. ?He?s a person who last year everything went right. This year things didn?t go right,? Rose said in a serious understatement. Cherry-picked or not, Rose pointed out that Randle was one of three players in the NBA to average 20 points, 10 boards and five assists. (Randle finished his second season in New York at 20.1 points, 5.1 assists, and 9.9 rebounds.)
?Things happened on the court, we saw some emotion coming out, saw some things happening,? Rose said of the numerous bizarre incidents that marked Randle?s season. ?I think it affected his play at times. He felt remorseful for some of those things as he expressed to the fans in his letter he sent,? he said, referring to an Instagram apology that Randle made after telling Knicks fans ?f--k you? with a thumbs down.
Rose blamed Randle?s significantly worse shooting ? 41.1% from 3 last year, 30.8% this year ? on teams playing defense on him, not a good sign for the future.
?The 3-point shot just didn?t go like last year, and you had teams keying on him more this year. At the end he made some adjustments, he carried the burden. I was proud of the fact he did fight through it.?
Rose also shot down trade rumors, saying that Randle told him personally he wants to stay. ?Julius loves it here in New York, wants to be in New York,? he said.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Let?s not forget that TOR rested it?s studs. Just like WAS?.

Don?t take what happens late March Early April seriously, just like Sept baseball.

We?ll see next Oct/Nov if this ?means? anything for IQ and Obi. Their poor play for large stretch of season, albeit with no assistance from Thibbs rotation, is one of the reasons Knicks missed playoffs.

They?ve played well since ASG. Let?s hope this means something for their future.

But, let?s not act that these are 2 of the more exciting young players in the sport. They might not even make the top 25 list (or top 50 players under 26)

Broadway

All Star
I do agree with this tweet tho

Andrew Bank
@AndrewBank
37-45 in a loaded East with nightmare Randle, Rose, Noel, and Kemba seasons is deeply frustrating but far from embarrassing. When you're the New York Knicks, consecutive "far from embarrassing" seasons = progress.

Not me the standard will never be silver linings. Obi and IQ deserved better and I?ve been advocates for them their entire time here to be given larger roles

I just peeped a thread on Twitter of Sixers fans morbid fear of Doc Rivers coaching style and would you know their concerns are echos from Knicks fans?guess which two coaches have history together?

Sixers have the Raptors in the playoffs and I guarantee you Nick Nurse is going to make Doc Rivers sweat more than the players on the court in that series

Terrible yr for this franchise which should have built on top of last yr?s success, instead we?ll have Mid Lottery Pick and a bunch of questions remaining on what to do with our existing roster yet alone what could be added to it to make it better heading into the summer

mafra

Legend
Rose tried to sell optimism to Knicks fans, pointing out they had been a world-beating 11-11 since the All-Star break. When Breen asked if there was anything to take with a grain of salt considering many NBA teams are either tanking or resting at the end of the schedule, Rose said that was generally true, but not in the case of the Knicks? opponents.
?We look at it like ? a lot of games have mattered because of the play-in situation, because a lot of teams have played right up until the end, when you look at who we played against, and whether the games were meaningful,? he said. ?We want our guys coming in and competing every night. I mean, that?s one of Thibs? mantras, and that?s the way we approached it.?
Rose said his long-term plan was working, alluding to the Knicks? ability to fit a star under the cap if one finally actually chose MSG. He again cherry-picked convenient stats, saying the Knicks have ?13 draft picks? and ?nine players 24 or younger.?
?We have to build one block at a time, be patient. We feel like we?re set up, you know, really well as far as like, we?ve got 13 draft picks over the next three drafts, four first-round picks,? he said. ?With regard to opportunities that may come along, we?re very flexible?we want to show patience, we want to show prudence in making those decisions and continuing to develop what we have.?

mafra

Legend
Alec Burks played 2278 minutes this season to IQ?s 1761, on average, that?s 6 more mpg over the course of the season. And, mind you, more than half those minuets came as they attempted to convert wing AB into a PG

And our idiot GM speaking nonsense about development and 9 guys under 24 and 13 picks next 3 drafts (only 4 first rounders tho).

First of all, Mitch is gone. McBride and Cam don?t play. So now we are down to 6, no?

mafra

Legend
Like Obi, Malik Monk led the Lakers B-team in scoring in Sunday?s overtime victory over the Nuggets, netting a career-high 41 points on 14-of-25 shooting (6-of-6 FTs) along with four boards, one assist, seven 3-pointers and three turnovers in 35 minutes.

NYK Biggest mistake would Be to depend on what Obi and IQ did last 5-10 games. Bring in competition and improve this roster.

Unless we are in full fledged rebuild, IQ and Obi are reserve players.

mafra

Legend
Just took a look at the Knicks cap situation going forward.

Next year, between Randle, Fournier, Rose, Noel, and Walker, the Knicks have roughly $77 million (out of the $120 million cap) tied up in players who either wildly underperformed or were injured most of this season.

Cap is around 120M and yet Knicks at about 170M?. They?re 50 mil OVER the cap, which means MLE and trades only option to make moves. So, we won?t see much roster change other than a trade of our crap for your crap, and Mitch will be gone.

Brunson at PG does nothing for me.

Randle and Evan for Westbrook and Mitch a sign and trade for Grant is my guess. Maybe find a way to get Brunson (probably for IQ). This is probably only option for Leon Rose.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I?ll say this? and I probably lean more towards Thibbs supporter than being anti-Thibbs.

But after listening to his post game presser? He sounded like a hypocritical, arrogant, full of **** bag of wind.

Not sure Leon can retain him, but he probably will. But I don?t want this being my leader?. Still, nothing changes until that slovenly agent gets fired. Leon Rose might be worst GM in NBA.he?s an agent! He is not a GM. Do I go see a real estate agent when I have a cavity or do I make an appointment with a dentist?

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Not me the standard will never be silver linings. Obi and IQ deserved better and I?ve been advocates for them their entire time here to be given larger roles

I just peeped a thread on Twitter of Sixers fans morbid fear of Doc Rivers coaching style and would you know their concerns are echos from Knicks fans?guess which two coaches have history together?

Sixers have the Raptors in the playoffs and I guarantee you Nick Nurse is going to make Doc Rivers sweat more than the players on the court in that series

Terrible yr for this franchise which should have built on top of last yr?s success, instead we?ll have Mid Lottery Pick and a bunch of questions remaining on what to do with our existing roster yet alone what could be added to it to make it better heading into the summer

If true, you can?t make this up?

Not sure if the Lakers will be able to get him but when we ask who?s available a franchise that has any prestige, heritage, tradition, savvy, moxy, or culture about them knows everyone for the most part is available for the job at hand

Vogel was 94 - 49 and won a championship his first 2 years with the Lakers. The idea that he was the problem this last season baffles me.

mafra

Legend
Knicks finished 6 games back of 10 seed? 3-17 stretch from Jan 17 - March 4.

If they go 9-11 that stretch they probably the 10th seed.

Randle?s 3 point shooting fell from 40 to 30 percent; Rose missed 50 games.

Thibbs was awful and his style is outdated. But the real failure was on Rose for no PG, pairing Randle and Obi, signing defensively challenged Evan F.