Will Mavs PG Jalen Brunson receive a Max contract ???

Kiyaman

Legend
Jalen Brunson will hit unrestricted free agency this summer. Glenn James/NBAE via Getty Images
THE NEW YORK KNICKS, a franchise with deep ties to the Brunson family, and the Detroit Pistons are expected by league sources to pursue him. Others could emerge.

Mavs governor Mark Cuban has stated he plans to re-sign Brunson and is well aware the price tag has become significantly more expensive, which would push Dallas well into the luxury tax. The Mavs have Brunson's Bird rights, so they can give him a five-year deal while other teams are limited to four-year offers. Dallas would not have salary-cap space if Brunson leaves, so his departure would create a gaping void.

Dallas could have signed Brunson to a four-year extension for as much as $55.5 million before the season, but the Mavs didn't offer it then nor did they engage in negotiations with Brunson's representatives. He was coming off a disappointing first playoff series of his career, as former Mavs coach Rick Carlisle drastically cut Brunson's minutes in the final few games of the seven-game exit against the LA Clippers.

"It sat with me all summer," Brunson said at the start of training camp.

Nor were the Mavs willing to make that commitment midseason, when Brunson had transitioned from sixth man to starter and was thriving. An extension would have handcuffed the Mavs from including Brunson if a trade for a star materialized. Dallas offered the extension immediately after the Feb. 10 trade deadline, when Mavs forward Dorian Finney-Smith signed an identical deal.

mafra

Legend
Players usually don?t take kindly to those sort of snubs, and when his father said he?ll go to where they feel the situation fits Jalen best? all adds up to JB leaving.

Will Cuban offer him the max to entice him to stay? Might depend on how deep this run goes. JVG told MKay today he sees DAL in Finals.

DET, IND, NYK are other suitors. Knicks need to clear 20 mil in cap space. Then they can offer 20-25 per year? Leon Rose?s son is part of JB?s rep agency. Obvious connections abound with NYK, Leon and Brunson.

We shall see where he ends up. Crazy! He?ll end up getting 70-100 mil instead of 55 for this playoff run.

mafra

Legend
I don?t want Brunson for 100 mil. He?s good but not franchise Star good. Give me Tyus Jones (MEM) for 1/4 the cost.

Otherwise, we sign the next Jerome James (dude from SEA who had a good playoff run and we signed afterwards).

metrocard

Legend
I don?t want Brunson for 100 mil. He?s good but not franchise Star good. Give me Tyus Jones (MEM) for 1/4 the cost.

Otherwise, we sign the next Jerome James (dude from SEA who had a good playoff run and we signed afterwards).

I agree, Brunson has limits and is better off in his current role.

Kiyaman

Legend
I agree, Brunson has limits and is better off in his current role.

When you look at Brunson's top performance in the post season games, plus the Mavs going 7 games vs the NBA top winning contender Phoenix Suns.
The Governor Cuban would go all out to sign (resign) FA Brunson in the offseason.

And Tyus Jones performance in the postseason games replacing Ja Morant were dynamic. The Grizz organization would be looked down on if Tyus Jones are not in next season rotation.

The Knicks FO, and coaching-staff prove to be FOOLS throughout the NBA 2021-22 season.
Signing FA Kemba & Fournier who prove to be incompatible in a lineup alongside Randle & Barrett. Plus not giving an outstanding pass-first defensive rookie PG McBride any playing time.
The Knicks worst (BUST) lineup throughout the Knicks 2021-22 season was coach Thibs Starter Lineup of ..
Kemba/Burks, Fournier, Barrett, Randle, MitchRob !!!

MitchRob is a KEEPER .. the other players in the starter lineup NEED to be traded asap !!!

When you look at Brunson's top performance in the post season games, plus the Mavs going 7 games vs the NBA top winning contender Phoenix Suns.
The Governor Cuban would go all out to sign (resign) FA Brunson in the offseason.

And Tyus Jones performance in the postseason games replacing Ja Morant were dynamic. The Grizz organization would be looked down on if Tyus Jones are not in next season rotation.

The Knicks FO, and coaching-staff prove to be FOOLS throughout the NBA 2021-22 season.
Signing FA Kemba & Fournier who prove to be incompatible in a lineup alongside Randle & Barrett. Plus not giving an outstanding pass-first defensive rookie PG McBride any playing time.
The Knicks worst (BUST) lineup throughout the Knicks 2021-22 season was coach Thibs Starter Lineup of ..
Kemba/Burks, Fournier, Barrett, Randle, MitchRob !!!

MitchRob is a KEEPER .. the other players in the starter lineup NEED to be traded asap !!!

Agree a 100% with everything but parts of the last paragraph.

Burks and Randle aren?t part of the problem in my opinion. They victims of poor management and poor coaching. Both would be valuable if used differently. Burks and Randle showed their value before coming to the Knicks. The teams they came from use their talent and skills in offenses that fit them.

The number of people that are talking about trade Randle is truly amazing. Randle the player that leads the Knicks into the playoff. Then next year things don?t go the way they did the year before. Nobody asked the question. ?Who else had an off year?? Who pickup Randle lack?
Maybe this last question ?Was E. Payton more valuable to the team than what was thought??
**Not a Payton fan just asking the question. I never wanted him on the team.

skisloper1

Benchwarmer

Burks and Randle aren?t part of the problem in my opinion. They victims of poor management and poor coaching. Both would be valuable if used differently. Burks and Randle showed their value before coming to the Knicks. The teams they came from use their talent and skills in offenses that fit them.

The number of people that are talking about trade Randle is truly amazing. Randle the player that leads the Knicks into the playoff. Then next year things don?t go the way they did the year before. Nobody asked the question. ?Who else had an off year?? Who pickup Randle lack?
Maybe this last question ?Was E. Payton more valuable to the team than what was thought??

Dark I think it was you who said dallas was better without Luka.....if I am wrong sorry but if yes then do you still actually agree with that......

Randle was horrible in the playoffs and last year as well...... I do think he can be a solid player on the right time but right now we are once again rebuilding..........amazing though how we still do not have a foundation.

RJ will only get better with the right guys around him......

Dark I think it was you who said dallas was better without Luka.....if I am wrong sorry but if yes then do you still actually agree with that......

Randle was horrible in the playoffs and last year as well...... I do think he can be a solid player on the right time but right now we are once again rebuilding..........amazing though how we still do not have a foundation.

RJ will only get better with the right guys around him......
Yes, correct about what I said about Luka.
Yes, to the second question.

Explain how RJ get better with him playing almost 40 minutes a game and taking the most shots and only putting up average stats. It?s 48 minutes in the game and only so many shots. Again, to be clear where is the growth coming from???
You guys always propping up RJ if the ?right guys?!! Why do you and other pin RJ success to someone else. Then if the so called ?right guys? don?t come along then you have an excuse for his success.
PLEASE!!

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
Yes, correct about what I said about Luka.
Yes, to the second question.

Explain how RJ get better with him playing almost 40 minutes a game and taking the most shots and only putting up average stats. It?s 48 minutes in the game and only so many shots. Again, to be clear where is the growth coming from???
You guys always propping up RJ if the ?right guys?!! Why do you and other pin RJ success to someone else. Then if the so called ?right guys? don?t come along then you have an excuse for his success.
PLEASE!!

why is Dallas better without Luka ? I think you are the only person , sportscaster or NBA player who has ever said that............

As for RJ again i will remind you he is also a victim of the same crap Knicks organization.....do we think Tatum would be the star he is if drafted by the Knicks ?

Kiyaman

Legend

Dark .. Payton & Randle tactics on court as a NO Pelicans made Anthony Davis ask to be traded 3 months into the season, plus Randle & Payton's season performance became a big help in getting the Pelicans the pick for Zion.
Randle's most improve performance from being a Bust had little to do with the Knicks success at winning games in the 2020-21 season. D.Rose leadership at starting the 4th quarter, and decision making going down the stretch of games gave the Knicks a successful winning season.

And Alec Burks raw performance never improve so he became a NBA trade asset in 2018, from Utah to Cleveland to Sacramento to GS to Philly to N.Y.. That's 6 teams in 3 years.
Plus Burks only performed well in lineups having D.Rose leadership.

Which of these players are the best SG?
Which of these players are the best SF?
Burks?
RJ Barrett?
Fournier?
Cam Reddish?
Grimes?
Are SF Bullocks going to the WCF ???

Last edited:

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
Dark .. Payton & Randle tactics on court as a NO Pelicans made Anthony Davis ask to be traded 3 months into the season, plus Randle & Payton's season performance became a big help in getting the Pelicans the pick for Zion.
Randle's most improve performance from being a Bust had little to do with the Knicks success at winning games in the 2020-21 season. D.Rose leadership at starting the 4th quarter, and decision making going down the stretch of games gave the Knicks a successful winning season.

And Alec Burks raw performance never improve so he became a NBA trade asset in 2018, from Utah to Cleveland to Sacramento to GS to Philly to N.Y.. That's 6 teams in 3 years.

Burks?
RJ Barrett?
Fournier?
Cam Reddish?
Grimes?

dark please do not blame Knicks FO on one hand and then use the opposite argument for RJ

mafra

Legend
LeBron just said Luka is his favorite player!

Worldwide Wes on Dais tonight? haven?t moved up since 1985?

12% odds they slip a spot to 12th, almost 10% chance they leap up into top 4, and barely a 3-4% chance they shoot up to 1.

4 studs and 10 solid prospects?. We slated to pick 11th.

Burks?
RJ Barrett?
Fournier?
Cam Reddish?
Grimes?

Kiya, again I agree with you 100%. The Payton question was simply did they miss a PG who had directed the offensive. As I said not a fan of Payton just wondering if he would have been there would they maybe had played a little better.

As for Burks, the truth of matter he was playing out of position. So he did the best he could do under the circumstances. I'm not a big Burks fan but I have come to appreciate him as good bench player.

Which of these players are the best SG? Burks
Which of these players are the best SF? Again Burks
Are SF Bullocks going to the WCF??? Yes, but I wasn't a fan of Bullocks play. I never saw what everybody was talking about with Bullock. I never saw the great outside shooting or the defense they say he was playing.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks Fans ....
The Dallas Mavs Brunson are going to the WCF, plus have been the 2nd top scorer on the Mavs throughout the season. How well Brunson, and the Mavs do in the WCF (6 or 7 games) will determine if Brunson become a MAX Keeper in Dallas.
The Mavs has 5 PG on their 14 man roster, and has played 4 of their PG in their game rotation to beat the top seeded Suns team in the postseason series Game 7.
Head coach Jason Kidd has showed throughout the regular and post season games that he's 10 times a better coach on Defense n Offense than the Knicks coach Thibs.

The Grizz Tyus Jones has been one of the NBA top backup PG throughout the season.
The Grizz have 2 PG on their 13 man roster (Morant & Jones), the Grizz will be looking for another young PG in the offseason to add to their roster.

why is Dallas better without Luka ? I think you are the only person , sportscaster or NBA player who has ever said that............

As for RJ again i will remind you he is also a victim of the same crap Knicks organization.....do we think Tatum would be the star he is if drafted by the Knicks ?

When I first post may thoughts about Dallas and Luka. I said, the ball moves with him not on the floor. Brunson had the ball moving when at the PG while when Luka is on the floor Dallas is the slowest team in the league. You might want to go back and check to see if that was what I said.

RJ isn't a victim!! That is what you guys want him to be so you can have an excuse for his sorry play. Well sir, That doesn't hold water with me so try that on someone else. That same crappy Knicks organization drafted RJ... So did they make a mistake?

BTW, in your above reply to my post. There are several questions that were asked of you and you didn't touch or answer any. WHY??

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiya, again I agree with you 100%. The Payton question was simply did they miss a PG who had directed the offensive. As I said not a fan of Payton just wondering if he would have been there would they maybe had played a little better.

As for Burks, the truth of matter he was playing out of position. So he did the best he could do under the circumstances. I'm not a big Burks fan but I have come to appreciate him as good bench player.

Which of these players are the best SG? Burks
Which of these players are the best SF? Again Burks
Are SF Bullocks going to the WCF??? Yes, but I wasn't a fan of Bullocks play. I never saw what everybody was talking about with Bullock. I never saw the great outside shooting or the defense they say he was playing.

I will admit I did like Burks performance as Bullocks backup, and as a trio back court (D.Rose, Quickley, Burks). However, the Mavs trio Bullocks, Finney, and Kleber's Defensive intensity has done wonders for the Mavs success in the postseason games, holding Utah Jazz to 77 pts in Game 5, and holding the Suns to 90 pts and under the final two games of the series were pure team-defense.

The Knicks NEEDED PG Payton's 24 minute performance in the Knicks rotation throughout the NBA 2021-22 season.

I will admit I did like Burks performance as Bullocks backup, and as a trio back court (D.Rose, Quickley, Burks). However, the Mavs trio Bullocks, Finney, and Kleber's Defensive intensity has done wonders for the Mavs success in the postseason games, holding Utah Jazz to 77 pts in Game 5, and holding the Suns to 90 pts and under the final two games of the series were pure team-defense.

The Knicks NEEDED PG Payton's 24 minute performance in the Knicks rotation throughout the NBA 2021-22 season.

I have to admit that I didn?t see game 7 with Sun?s. Just looking at the stat sheet said this was a horrible time for the Sun?s to have a shooting slump. Below 40% for the whole game. I don?t think that happened all year.
It reminds me of Hoyas vs Wildcats in the NCAA finals. Wildcats shot an amazing almost 80% from the floor that night and won by single digits(forgot the score). 9 out 10 times the Hoyas win this game. This one of those time when things like this happen.

tiger0330

Legend
Jalen Brunson gonna stay in Dallas tbh.

Cuban ain?t signing him if someone offers him the max. He?s got Dinwiddie to replace him if someone is stupid enough to offer him the max. I agree with Mafra about (not) paying guys for one good series or one good season.