2022 NBA Draft Thread - Thursday, June 23rd 8PM

I think you?re right.

So, the Knicks acquired pick 13 in the draft and then traded that player and Kemba to Detroit for Milwaukee?s 2025 1st round pick. I sure hope Milwaukee is a lot worse than they are now in 2025 because otherwise that is going to be a very late pick.

We end up keeping Washington and Detroit?s 2023 1st round picks but the problem is that both are heavily protected.

Washington?s pick is top 14 protected in 2023, top 12 protected in 2024, top 10 protected in 2025, and top 8 protected in 2026 before converting to a 2nd round pick in 2027.

Detroit?s pick is top 18 protected in 2023 and 2024, top 13 protected in 2025, top 11 protected in 2026, and top 9 protected in 2027 before converting to a 2nd round pick.

I mean, Jesus Christ.

mafra

Legend
Knicks drafted Trevor Keels with the No. 42 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft.

Keels is another guy who was on the draft bubble and he?s a solid scorer off the dribble and an adequate playmaker. He?s also a decent rebounder, defender and solid athlete, but is one of those guys who does several things adequately and isn?t great at anything. He also needs to improve his shooting, both from the field and the free throw line and turns the ball over too much, so it's unlikely he'll find minutes playing for Tom Thibodeau his rookie season.

Post-Draft Analysis
Keels was one of the last players to announce he was staying in the NBA draft instead of returning to lead new Duke coach Jon Scheyer to the Final Four in his first season at the helm. The 6-5 freshman is one of the youngest players in this draft class at just 18 years old. A two-way guard with a strong frame and a 6-7 wingspan, Keels is intriguing to NBA teams due to the combination of toughness, off-court intangibles, feel for the game, defensive versatility and passing creativity he shows. He showed a sense for the moment in some of Duke's biggest games last season, coming to life as a shot-maker and finisher around the basket in several crucial moments despite his age. Keels has plenty to work to do on his perimeter shooting and as a finisher around the basket, and there was a wide range of opinions among NBA scouts about exactly how to view his upside all season long. -- Jonathan Givony

Yeah, I don?t hate the Trevor Keels pick at 42. Send him to the G league? Give him a chance to compete for a back end of the rotation spot? He plays defense so he?s got a chance with Thibs. He seems like he has a chance at showing some upside.

Ultimately, with how many young guys we have already in tow, he might never see the court, but he?ll get his chance in summer league, which isn?t that far off, to show some potential.

Also interesting that Trevor Keels is only 18-years-old. He?s joining a roster where next youngest player is Miles McBride at 21-years-old.

I definitely think G league is in his future.

mafra

Legend
Keels a decent wild card roll of the dice. But nothing can atone for the horrific action Leon Rose took earlier this evening?.

Regardless of conditional picks that have little chance of converting or getting a late first rounder in 36 months? the truth of what transpired tonight:

?In totality, it appears the Knicks paid the price of a lottery pick to gain the cap space they need to sign Brunson.?

Basically, Rose had to part with a lottery pick to erase an awful mistake he made 11 months ago.

What functional org trades away a lottery pick to dump 13 mil in salary? Knicks are going nowhere and Kemba had 1 or 2 years left? Bwaaah! How incompetent is this ex agent? He can?t run a team.

You do that if you getting LeBron, Wade and Bosh. You don?t do this to give 100 mil to an RFA, who isn?t even an all star caliber talent.

Knicks could?ve had 11&13 to add talent (AJ and Duran) and truly rebuild. Are we really going to commit next decade to Randle and Brunson?

I can?t even be angry bc they haven?t found a decent draft pick since late 1980s? there were no expectations.

But it most bother Dolan. He hires a dude who makes a terrible blunder and has to forfeit a lottery pick to start over again.

And this won?t inspire confidence as he starts offering more contacts next week?

If Rose doesn?t pull a rabbit out of his hat soon, this will be going on year 3 and the big deal makers in Wes and Leon can?t do anything.

Are they really chasing the allure of ?cap space?? Lol!

Brunson isn?t going to excite the fans? after last season and the last 2 decades? this trade might be what breaks this fan base.

Last edited:
Here?s an interesting side note. Jalen Brunson is represented by CAA and one of his representatives is Leon Rose?s son.

No matter what, Leon Rose is helping Jalen Brunson get paid this off-season and by extension, his own son get paid.

How much longer can Dolan stomach this front office?

mafra

Legend
Remember the days when we would trade first rounders for players! Now we trade lottery picks to erase previous free agent mistakes.

Here?s SAS:

?Why the hell should I look forward to the draft? The Knicks have the 11th pick. Am I supposed to believe they?re going to get that right?? Smith asked. ?Am I supposed to believe we?re going to get an impact player? Am I supposed to believe that the New York Knicks are going to be better this season than they were last season?

?Maybe they might be, but that would be because they couldn?t get much worse. I?m trying to be hopeful. I?m trying to be nice. I?m trying to be in high spirits, thinking that it?s going to finally work out for me for me with these damn Knicks who haven?t given me a damn championship since 1973. I was five years old. Ima be cool. I?m gonna try, but I just don?t know.?

mafra

Legend
I need to be clear about this?

Rose dealt away a lottery pick to dump an expiring contract worth 7 mil? He really couldn?t find another way to offload that contract? This is the great deal maker!

jimkcchief88

All Star
So basically I?m glad I wasted no time paying any attention to the draft tonight because we screwed the pooch AGAIN! Surprise, surprise, surprise. Bad franchises like ours let?s face it are bad for a reason. It?s starts on draft day when you swing and miss year after year after year.

mafra

Legend
Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress
Jean Montero has agreed to an Exhibit 10 deal with the New York Knicks, a source told ESPN.

metrocard

Legend
Jean a good scorer.

The Knicks used a pick to unload Kemba contract to create a future opportunity to use assets for unloading Brunson contract.

1. Brunson is highly overrated
2. Kemba was an expiring deal that only favored our cap space. Kyrie doesn't really want to play with Thibs, lets be serious here. Brunson isn't worth the money. 2022 Free Agency isn't ours to win.
3. This shows how little confidence the franchise has in McBride, which at this point is becoming a wasted pick, more Knicks blunders.
4. We were much better off trying to push a Randle deal if we were going to trade a pick, Randle cripples our cap space and he isn't a good player.
5. Dieng/Daren are good players and with Knicks having a long history of missing out on good players, karma will enhance their abilities just to rub in our face why we are a loser franchise.

Knicks are the jobbers of the NBA, they make other teams better and only do favors for their CAA boys and Leon Rose.

To be honest, I'm over this team and I find it comedy anyone supports this franchise despite the Knicks front office making it clearly obvious they do not want to win. They simple want to EXIST as the Knicks, with no championship expectations.

The fact we don't even try to move Randle is concerning, if we don't move Randle before August, expect the next 4 years to be under .500

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
Jean a good scorer.

The Knicks used a pick to unload Kemba contract to create a future opportunity to use assets for unloading Brunson contract.

1. Brunson is highly overrated
2. Kemba was an expiring deal that only favored our cap space. Kyrie doesn't really want to play with Thibs, lets be serious here. Brunson isn't worth the money. 2022 Free Agency isn't ours to win.
3. This shows how little confidence the franchise has in McBride, which at this point is becoming a wasted pick, more Knicks blunders.
4. We were much better off trying to push a Randle deal if we were going to trade a pick.
5. Dieng/Daren are good players and with Knicks having a long history of missing out on good players, karma will enhance their abilities just to rub in our face why we are a loser franchise.

Knicks are the jobbers of the NBA, they make other teams better and only do favors for their CAA boys and Leon Rose.

To be honest, I'm over this team and I find it comedy anyone supports this franchise despite the Knicks front office making it clearly obvious they do not want to win. They simple want to EXIST as the Knicks, with no championship expectations.

The fact we don't even try to move Randle is concerning, if we don't move Randle before August, expect the next 4 years to be under .500

The Knicks FO is always chasing.........Nothing is going to make us a Championship but a total rebuild.........22 seasons and one playoff series win is a disgrace........
Why not just use our picks and let the mistakes expire......NOT US !!!!! we like to wipe out our mistakes with making more mistakes,,,,,,A total disgrace,,,,,,

Anyone feel like they woke up and been made a fool of??
Well if you do? you been a ?Damn Fool? for awhile now. You?re 3 years late!!

As John McCain said ?Welcome to the party, Pal?!!

What is driving me crazy right now is all the Knicks fans online, not here but in other places, talking about how last night was okay because we are going to get Jalen Brunson.

Umm, excuse me? Are they new Knicks fans? They think we are actually going to get a free agent that any other team wants? C?mon.

Jalen Brunson is going to take less money than he could get in Dallas, leave a playoff team, to come to the Knicks because he wants to come and play in MSG? I mean, I just can?t do it again. I can?t go down this path of madness for the 20th consecutive off-season.

mafra

Legend
Well, Leon?s son is Jalen?s agent and we just hired his father. I would love nothing more than have Brunson Re-sign with the Mavs?. How hysterical would that be!

Seriously, tho, if the Knicks can?t sign Jalen Brunson?. Given all the relationships?. And they made this move without the assurance?. It would arguably be the worst GM move ever?.

DAL and Cuban let another young PG walk when they had a young HOF Euro star point F?. His name was Steve Nash.

Not loving 240 mil dedicated to Randle and Brunson?. But we shall see what happens.