2022 NBA Draft Thread - Thursday, June 23rd 8PM

Kiyaman

Legend
What is driving me crazy right now is all the Knicks fans online, not here but in other places, talking about how last night was okay because we are going to get Jalen Brunson.

Umm, excuse me? Are they new Knicks fans? They think we are actually going to get a free agent that any other team wants? C?mon.

Jalen Brunson is going to take less money than he could get in Dallas, leave a playoff team, to come to the Knicks because he wants to come and play in MSG? I mean, I just can?t do it again. I can?t go down this path of madness for the 20th consecutive off-season.

It's a sad sad shame what Leon Rose done last night to Knicks fans on draft night.
Sad sad sad, trading todays draft picks for PROTECTED future first rounders in 2023-24-25 .. When last night 2022 Draft Class had 15 to 18 promising players.
After reading Leon Rose so-call apology comment of planning for the Knicks future, and financial flexibility using Kemba $9M, and not using Fourniers $18M, or Randle's $23M for financial flexibility .. Says Leon's decision are digging a deep hole for the Knicks to fall into. Randle has become a cancer, and Fourniers true worth are a MLE bench player.

I was hoping for some Knicks players & the 11 pick to be traded on draft night for a Knicks NEED (at the starter PG position), like Spurs PG Murray.
There are a couple of Knicks players that need to be traded just as much as Kemba Walker.

The Mavs grabbing Christian Wood $14M contract has the Mavs cap at $156M without Brunson. I don't see the Mavs offering Brunson above $14M per.
Leon Rose has to be crazy if he believe Jalen Brunson talent and skills are worth a max contract .. In the post season games Brunson needed two NBA PG (Doncic & Dinwiddie) in his lineup to perform at a top level.

mafra

Legend
Sounds like DET played Leon Rose?

? IVEY PURSUIT

As noted on Thursday, the Knicks were talking to the Pistons about a potential trade for Jalen Ivey even after Detroit selected the guard.

I don?t have specifics on what New York offered during the call. But there was optimism among some in the draft room that the deal could get done. And there was also some frustration in the room when it didn?t come to fruition.

Detroit ending up with Ivey has a bit of a silver lining if you want to see Brunson in a Knick uniform; With Ivey on the roster, it seems unlikely that Detroit will pursue Brunson via free agency. Prior to the NBA Lottery, some members of the Pacers were in favor of pursuing Brunson.?

Ian Begely

You can almost laugh knowing how this went down?.

Rose: I know you just drafted Ivey, but if you?ll accept A,B, C would consider moving him?

DET: Sure. Get us Duran and we would consider it.

Rose: I got you Duran.

DET: hey, we good now. Cade & Ivey our future. No thanks. But, hey, remember when you mentioned that you might try something in draft or free agency, in previous talks? well, give us Duran still and we?ll take a contract

Rose: ok. Take Evan or AB

DET: nah, we will take the 1yr/9 mil expiring guy.

Rose: ok. But I want a pick

DET. Sure. We on it (send over trade)

Rose: pick in 2025? I want a better pic.

DET: no deal

Rose: (realizing he?s now stuck with Duran)? geez? OK

(OKC did same thing giving heavily protected picks). Thunder wanted to get 11? Rose had leverage but he blinked.

Rose is making deals but not really winning them. It?s almost making deals just to make them.

Watch him easily dump AB or Noel now, after the draft. If he can do that, then he easily could?ve done same with Kemba. If not, deal future pick to do it.

Then you have the 11th pick as a more valuable asset than late firstvrounders in 2025

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
What happened to the ATL-SA (Collins / Murray) trade?

?Murray, however, only began surfacing in trade rumors on Wednesday, when Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report reported the Spurs had engaged in discussions with Atlanta that would send the first-time All-Star to the Hawks in exchange for Collins. The one hold up? San Antonio reportedly seeking a ?Jrue Holiday-like package? in a prospective Murray trade, meaning a combined haul of at least one impact player and three future first-round picks.?

Would Randle or Fournier & Obi, 3 first rounders do it?

How would a roster like this look? I think it could be interesting enough?

Brunson
Murray
RJ
Randle or Obi
Mitchell

Rose
IQ
Grimes
Simms
Taj

Last edited:

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
It's a sad sad shame what Leon Rose done last night to Knicks fans on draft night.
Sad sad sad, trading todays draft picks for PROTECTED future first rounders in 2023-24-25 .. When last night 2022 Draft Class had 15 to 18 promising players.
After reading Leon Rose so-call apology comment of planning for the Knicks future, and financial flexibility using Kemba $9M, and not using Fourniers $18M, or Randle's $23M for financial flexibility .. Says Leon's decision are digging a deep hole for the Knicks to fall into. Randle has become a cancer, and Fourniers true worth are a MLE bench player.

I was hoping for some Knicks players & the 11 pick to be traded on draft night for a Knicks NEED (at the starter PG position), like Spurs PG Murray.
There are a couple of Knicks players that need to be traded just as much as Kemba Walker.

The Mavs grabbing Christian Wood $14M contract has the Mavs cap at $156M without Brunson. I don't see the Mavs offering Brunson above $14M per.
Leon Rose has to be crazy if he believe Jalen Brunson talent and skills are worth a max contract .. In the post season games Brunson needed two NBA PG (Doncic & Dinwiddie) in his lineup to perform at a top level.

Bottom line.......we got rid of walker which was just 11 million dollare left for one year.......WHY WHY WHY.......
We went though the draft and ended up right where we started if not worse.

mafra

Legend
The draft only makes sense if:

1) They know they are signing Jalen Brunson. It appears Jaden Ivey was plan A and JB plan B

2) They know they have a deal for another star. Jalen and Randle isn?t doing much other than getting stuck solid in 40-win mediocrity. Jalen, Randle, and another star? well? Could this be Murray, Mitchell, Beal, type talent? Coincidence reports just surfaced that Spurs want 3 first rounders!

3) They pretty much figured that Cam, Roku, Montero better prospects than AJ and the likes leftover.

mafra

Legend
2023 NBA draft: Meet Victor Wembanyama, the best prospect since LeBron James, projected to go No. 1 next year.

NEW YORK ? The 2022 NBA draft was top heavy with Paolo Banchero, Chet Holmgren and Jabari Smith, but none of them compare to what?s coming next year with the 7-foot-3 phenom out of France, Victor Wembanyama. Oklahoma City might have landed a great prospect in Holmgren, but the tanking will continue for one more year. The Thunder and multiple other teams are already eyeing the franchise-changing, generational talent Wembanyama for the 2023 NBA draft.

The 18-year-old point-forward plays like no one else in the world with his staggering size and frame he continues to grow into, along with his 7-foot-9 wingspan (some say it?s 7-foot-10). To see him take players off the dribble and step into 3-pointers from Stephen Curry range defies everything you would ever expect from a young player with his size. He?s most noticeable on the defensive end as a rim protector and effectively guarding wings off the pick-and-roll switch. Think Rudy Gobert mixed with Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis. That?s what Wembanyama is projected to be. If you think that comp is too outrageous, then how about a larger Giannis Antetokounmpo without any weaknesses.

Seriously. He?s that good.

Wembanyama is the most talked-about prospect among NBA scouts and executives since LeBron James in 2003 and is the runaway favorite for the No. 1 pick in the 2023 NBA draft by a mile. The French native will be the biggest and most talented import from overseas ever, trumping Luka Doncic and two-time MVP Nikola Jokic.

"Right now, it?s Wembanyama and everyone else for the 2023 draft," one NBA scout told Yahoo Sports. "There?s always concern about someone so good so young, but it hasn?t gotten in the way of Wembanyama from getting better over the years. He?s the closest thing to a transcendent talent the draft has seen since probably Zion [Williamson], and even then the feelings throughout the league were much more mixed compared to where things stand right now with Wembanyama."

https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-nba-draft-meet-victor-wembanyama-best-prospect-since-lebron-james-projected-to-go-no-1-next-year-130006489.html

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
If the Knicks decision to go all-in with Randle and Brunson next year, when this guy is available? stupid!

OKC and DET will play only kids in hopes of developing them and losing 65 games?

This is why I have to believe the mission is Jalen plus another piece.

Plan A was Ivey and the kids and enter next draft with NYK, DAL, WAS picks?. Add Ivey and maybe Wemby prospect and future is set?

To pivot off that rebuild must tell me Brunson and a piece is coming.

Why else bail on a 7?3? Curry type shooter?

mafra

Legend
That?s the thing? it would?ve been EASY for Rose to draft a kid at 11 (and maybe 13 too), trade Randle and dump vets and play all the kids?. Thibbs would?ve had them at about 20 wins and they do their best to be in a position to get this stud. This is exactly what HOU, OKC, and DET are doing.

Not our fault SAC just as clueless and wouldn?t give us Ivey.

So, by not going in this direction it tells me they believe they have good chance to land a big free agent AND have a trade up their sleeve potentially.

You don?t bail on a tank season before a LeBron is coming out.

mafra

Legend
"Never have I ever seen Chet Holmgren overshadowed physically like he was last year whenever the two met," another NBA scout told Yahoo Sports. "He practically can and does do all that Chet can, but is three inches taller, probably shoots it better from three, may have a better feel as a passer and has a much better frame to develop than Chet."

mafra

Legend
Buckle up. Wembanyama, an 18-year-old from France, is a year away from changing the game of basketball and the way the center position is played. He?s also in good company with the teenage phenom dominating the G League, Scoot Henderson, and 6-foot-7 twins Amen and Ausar Thompson making noise in Overtime?s OTE league. All are projected top-five picks next year.

Let the tanking begin for the 2023 NBA draft

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks FO are gonna look real stupid when the #12 pick 6.6 SG/SF Jalen Williams explode in OKC.
Jalen Williams were suppose to come out last year