2022 NBA Draft Thread - Thursday, June 23rd 8PM

It is virtually impossible to keep track of all of OKC?s future picks, but I?m just trying to get a feel for what future 1st round picks could mean.

OKC has 5 1st round picks in 2023 (their own, Clippers, Nuggets, Wizards, Pistons).

OKC then has another 3 in 2024, 4 in 2025, and 3 in 2026.

So, getting ?multiple future 1st round picks? from OKC could mean virtually anything.

If nothing else, Knicks trading out of this year?s 1st round maximizes cap space. What will we do with that cap space? Overpay a bunch of role players no one else wants? That has been the trend.

Confused as hell.

Knicks somehow acquired Jalen Duren, the #13 pick from Charlotte, and then traded him and Kemba Walker to Detroit.

I guess they did this to shed Kemba?s contract? What did they give to get Duren?

What is going on?

Were we even involved in the Duren to Detroit trade? Woj and Shams combined can?t figure out anything we may or may not be doing tonight.

Did we clear cap space to make a run at Jalen Brunson or did we literally do nothing? It?s hard to tell at this point.

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
whats crazy is we are acquiring picks for the sole purpose of ridding ourselves of the crappy contracts we signed when we did not have to sign these in the first place........

We will be the same team on the floor as we were this past season......

Knicks traded pick 11 for 3 conditional 1st round picks from OKC. In what year(s)?

Did we already burn one of these in that deal to get rid of Kemba?s contract?

Broadway

All Star
Okay, that?s what I figured. Knicks took Dieng to trade him.

Woj immediately announces after the pick that Ousmane Dieng is on the move to OKC for ?multiple 1st round picks?.

Which ones? Depending on the answer, this could be a very good trade.

My initial thought which could be wrong is Knicks value Cap Space more than the talent at 11 or 13 but got compensation for trading the pick(s)

11th pick $4.75mil salary, likely a $6.0mil Cap hit
13th pick $4.1mil salary, likely a $5.4mil Cap hit

Broadway

All Star
Confused as hell.

Knicks somehow acquired Jalen Duren, the #13 pick from Charlotte, and then traded him and Kemba Walker to Detroit.

I guess they did this to shed Kemba?s contract? What did they give to get Duren?

What is going on?

Oh if Kemba got traded involving any draft day assets then question has been answered?.Knicks want Cap Space!!!

mafra

Legend
My initial thought which could be wrong is Knicks value Cap Space more than the talent at 11 or 13 but got compensation for trading the pick(s)

11th pick $4.75mil salary, likely a $6.0mil Cap hit
13th pick $4.1mil salary, likely a $5.4mil Cap hit

Yes, word was they trying to clear cap space to sign? blah?. Jalen Brunson for 100 mil. I hear there?s a stud in next draft from France or something? hopefully stockpiling picks for that? I imagine pucks for Murray after they deal for Brunson.

Brunson
Murray

Backcourt?

mafra

Legend
According to NYP:

Mass hysteria broke out on Twitter after Duren was drafted at No. 13 by the Hornets ? with reports simultaneously linking him to the Knicks and Pistons.

The Athletic?s Shams Charania reported that the Hornets ?traded Jalen Duren to the Knicks,? while ESPN?s Adrian Wojnarowski wrote ?the Pistons are acquiring? the Memphis University center.

It turned out to be both. Duren was traded to New York and then dealt to Detroit, along with point guard Kemba Walker.

Broadway

All Star
Yes, word was they trying to clear cap space to sign? blah?. Jalen Brunson for 100 mil. I hear there?s a stud in next draft from France or something? hopefully stockpiling picks for that? I imagine pucks for Murray after they deal for Brunson.

Brunson
Murray

Backcourt?

Maf you when speak of Murray?who are you referring to?

Kiyaman

Legend
Who knew that taking a chance on Kemba last year was pissing away a lottery pick.
What a bust decision !!!
Knicks are also getting a couple of future firsts from OKC .. Yet they killing Knicks fans tonight!
$15 mil under the cap now .. They get rid of Burks that?s $25 mil under cap .. Oops Burks just went under the knife !!!

Jalen Duren was traded to Knicks for a conditional 1st round pick and 4 2nd round picks. Duren then went to Detroit to shed Kemba?s contract.

The conditional 1st round pick is the Nuggets 2023 1st round pick we got for trading away pick 11 to the OKC. So, likely a late 1st round pick in 2023.

The 4 second round picks include our 2023 and 2024 second picks plus 2 others for 2023 draft that we at some point acquired from other teams.

So, to try to sum it up, we are keeping 2 other at this timed unspecified future conditional 1st round picks from OKC and we shed Kemba?s contract in exchange for pick 11 and 4 future second picks.

Is that good?

mafra

Legend
t may have been a bit confusing to follow all of the action, but here is a recap:

The Knicks originally held the No. 11 pick, but traded it to the Oklahoma City Thunder for multiple conditional first-round picks. According to Sham Charania of The Athletic, the Knicks acquired a 2023 protected first-rounder via Detroit, a 2023 protected first-rounder via Washington, and a 2023 protected first-rounder via Denver. The Thunder selected French forward Ousmane Dieng with that pick.

Memphis C Jalen Duren was drafted by the Charlotte Hornets 13th overall, but was then acquired by the Knicks in a trade, with the Knicks trading a conditional first-round pick and four conditional second-round picks to the Hornets.

The Knicks quickly traded Duren, along with Kemba Walker to the Pistons, clearing cap space by shedding Walker's salary.

According to ESPN's Zach Lowe, the Knicks are also acquiring the Bucks' 2025 first-round pick from the Detroit as part of the trade. The Pistons acquired that pick earlier this week in a deal that sent Jerami Grant to Portland.

TKB.com

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
So, NYK getting a 2025 1st from DETi. The Walker deal, which makes it easier to understand.

We basically got Cam Reddish and 3 future first round picks, and cleared enough cap space to sign Brunson?. That?s what Rose turned got, assets he turned 2 first rounders this year into.

Spurs have D-Murray OTB, according to reports.

Rose wants picks to trade for the next disgruntled start I guess.